Nathalie Chiva

Default Barb's orgasmic cookies go to Switzerland

I made a double batch of them on Sunday which we brought to friends and
enjoyed together for tea. Yummy! My friend asked for the recipe :-).
Even her 8 yo daughter, who doesn't like chocolate much, asked for
seconds!
I must say, I had no idea what "cake flour" is, so I just used plain
all-purpose flour. Worked fine. Also, I don't know what kind of
chocolate you use in the US, I used the kind of chocolate I use for
chocolate mousse, dark chocolate tablets called "Chocolat de ménage"
(hey, Swiss chocolate!).
My friend gave us back half of the leftovers to take home. Boy, next
time I'll remember that they are even better the next day, and will bake
them the day before.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Michael Rolfe

"Nathalie Chiva" > wrote in message

> I must say, I had no idea what "cake flour" is, so I just used plain
> all-purpose flour.

Sounds like you got it right. "Cake flour" means "regular flour", as
opposed to "bread flour", semolina, whole-wheat flour...

Default User

Michael Rolfe wrote:

> "Nathalie Chiva" > wrote in message
>
> > I must say, I had no idea what "cake flour" is, so I just used plain
> > all-purpose flour.

> Sounds like you got it right. "Cake flour" means "regular flour", as
> opposed to "bread flour", semolina, whole-wheat flour...

That's incorrect. Regular flour is "all purpose". Cake flour is very
soft, finely milled flour. Its lack of protein gives a finer crumb and
more delicate texture than AP.

Brian Rodenborn
Dimitri

"Michael Rolfe" > wrote in message

> "Nathalie Chiva" > wrote in message
>
> > I must say, I had no idea what "cake flour" is, so I just used plain
> > all-purpose flour.

> Sounds like you got it right. "Cake flour" means "regular flour", as
> opposed to "bread flour", semolina, whole-wheat flour...

Nope.

See below.

Dimitri

Not Mine!

I don't always have cake flour on hand, and I'm betting many others don't
either. I have discovered that this substitute works very, very well. Easy
too, and it uses pantry staples!

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1. To make two cups of cake-and-pastry flour (cake flour), combine 1 3/4
cups all-purpose flour with 1/4 cup cornstarch; proceed with your recipe.
2. The easiest way to do this substitution is to put 2 tbsp of cornstarch in
the bottom of a 1-cup measuring cup, then fill the cup as usual with
all-purpose flour and level top.
3. If you only need 1/2 cup of cake flour, put 1 tbsp cornstarch in bottom
of 1/2 cup measuring cup, then fill and level as above.

flour
n. The finely ground and sifted meal of any of various edible grains. Giant
steel or stone rollers are used to break and grind the grain. Most
supermarkets carry steel-ground flour, meaning it's crushed with huge,
high-speed steel rollers or hammers. The heat that is generated with these
high-velocity machines strips away the WHEAT germ and destroys valuable
vitamins and enzymes. The more naturally nutritious stone-ground flour is
produced by grinding the grain between two slowly moving stones. This
process crushes the grain without generating excess heat and separating the
germ. Stone-ground flours must usually be purchased in health-food stores,
though some large supermarkets also carry them. A flour can range in texture
from coarse to extremely soft and powdery, depending on the degree of
bolting (sifting) it receives at the mill. Wheat is the most common source
of the multitude of flours used in cooking. It contains gluten, a protein
that forms an elastic network that helps contain the gases that make
mixtures (such as doughs and batters) rise as they bake. All-purpose flour
is made from a blend of high-gluten hard wheat and low-gluten soft wheat.
It's a fine-textured flour milled from the inner part of the wheat kernel
and contains neither the germ (the sprouting part) nor the bran (the outer
coating). U.S. law requires that all flours not containing wheat germ must
have niacin, riboflavin, thiamin and iron added. (Individual millers
sometimes also add vitamins A and D.) These flours are labeled "ENRICHED."
All-purpose flour comes in two basic forms - bleached and unbleached - that
can be used interchangeably. Flour can be bleached either naturally, as it
ages, or chemically. Most flour on the market today is presifted, requiring
only that it be stirred, then spooned into a measuring cup and leveled off.
Bread flour is an unbleached, specially formulated, high-gluten blend of
99.8 percent hard-wheat flour, a small amount of malted barley flour (to
improve yeast activity) and vitamin C or potassium bromate (to increase the
gluten's elasticity and the dough's gas retention). It is ideally suited for
YEAST BREADS. The fuller-flavored whole-wheat flour contains the wheat germ,
which means that it also has a higher fiber, nutritional and fat content.
Because of the latter, it should be stored in the refrigerator to prevent
rancidity. Cake or pastry flour is a fine-textured, soft-wheat flour with a
high starch content. It makes particularly tender cakes and pastries.
Self-rising flour is an all-purpose flour to which baking powder and salt
have been added. It can be substituted for all-purpose flour in yeast breads
by omitting the salt and in QUICK BREADS by omitting both baking powder and
salt. Instant flour is a granular flour especially formulated to dissolve
quickly in hot or cold liquids. It's used mainly as a thickener in sauces,
gravies and other cooked mixtures. Gluten flour is high-protein, hard-wheat
flour treated to remove most of the starch (which leaves a high gluten
content). It's used mainly as an additive to doughs made with low-gluten
flour (such as RYE FLOUR), and to make low-calorie "gluten" breads. All
flour should be stored in an airtight container. All-purpose and bread flour
can be stored up to 6 months at room temperature (about 70°F). Temperatures
higher than that invite bugs and mold. Flours containing part of the grain's
germ (such as whole wheat) turn rancid quickly because of the oil in the
germ. Refrigerate or freeze these flours tightly wrapped and use as soon as
possible. Other grains - such as BARLEY, BUCKWHEAT, CORN, OATS, RICE, rye
and TRITICALE - are also milled into flours. flour v. To lightly coat a
food, utensil or baking container with flour. Flouring food to be fried
facilitates browning, and coating foods that tend to stick together (such as
chopped dried apricots) helps separate the pieces. Flouring a pie, pastry or
cookie dough will prevent it from sticking to a work surface; flouring your
hands, rolling pin or work surface prevents dough from sticking. Dusting
greased baking pans with flour provides for easy removal of cakes, breads
and other baked goods.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Denise~*

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:04:15 -0700, Denise~*
> wrote:

>Somebody please re-post this. I saw it the other day & cannot find it
>now.

Nevermind, found it

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Nathalie Chiva
> wrote:

> I made a double batch of them on Sunday which we brought to friends and
> enjoyed together for tea. Yummy! My friend asked for the recipe :-).

> Nathalie in Switzerland

<blush> I'm happy to hear they made a positive impression, Nathalie.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 5/30/04.
Only 8 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Michael Rolfe"
> wrote:

> "Nathalie Chiva" > wrote in message
>
> > I must say, I had no idea what "cake flour" is, so I just used plain
> > all-purpose flour.

> Sounds like you got it right. "Cake flour" means "regular flour", as
> opposed to "bread flour", semolina, whole-wheat flour...

Mmmm, no. Cake flour is not regular flour. That'd be all-purpose flour.
Cake flour is made from soft wheat and has a lower protein content than
either all-purpose or bread flour. Makes for a tender cake crumb. I
don't really know why cake flour was specified in the recipe, but that's
the way Cook's Illustrated did it about 8 Marches ago (my recipe is a
slight adaptation of that one.)