FoodBanter.com

-   -   Frozen milk (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/67229-frozen-milk.html)

[email protected] 08-08-2005 05:36 AM

Frozen milk

Ok. This shopping trip I bought 2 gal. milk. I froze one. I put it
in the fridge about 3 days ago and so far I have had 2 glasses of milk.
The rest is still ice. How to you thaw it out without heating the
milk?

I am sure leaving it on the counter is not a good idea.

[email protected] 08-08-2005 05:50 AM

wrote:
> Ok. This shopping trip I bought 2 gal. milk. I froze one. I put it
> in the fridge about 3 days ago and so far I have had 2 glasses of milk.
> The rest is still ice. How to you thaw it out without heating the
> milk?
>
> I am sure leaving it on the counter is not a good idea.

I think leaving out on the counter is OK, as long as you do so at a
time when you can check every few hours to see if there's still ice
left. As long as there's ice in it it will be cold enough not to
spoil, and even after all the ice melts it won't go bad in 2-3 hours.

Cheers,

Adilah

Denny Wheeler 08-08-2005 06:55 AM

On 7 Aug 2005 21:36:03 -0700, "
> wrote:

>Ok. This shopping trip I bought 2 gal. milk. I froze one. I put it
>in the fridge about 3 days ago and so far I have had 2 glasses of milk.
> The rest is still ice. How to you thaw it out without heating the
>milk?
>
>I am sure leaving it on the counter is not a good idea.

How about treating it similarly to a frozen turkey? Sit it in the
sink, and run cold water to surround it.

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.

[email protected] 08-08-2005 07:08 AM

Just a thought -- Put it in the refrigerator?

Doh!

Sis 08-08-2005 07:20 AM

Reread the post! She did put it in the refrigerator! Duh!
oups.com...

Ophelia 08-08-2005 08:25 AM

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On 7 Aug 2005 21:36:03 -0700, "
> > wrote:
>
>>Ok. This shopping trip I bought 2 gal. milk. I froze one. I put it
>>in the fridge about 3 days ago and so far I have had 2 glasses of
>>milk.
>> The rest is still ice. How to you thaw it out without heating the
>>milk?
>>
>>I am sure leaving it on the counter is not a good idea.

> How about treating it similarly to a frozen turkey? Sit it in the
> sink, and run cold water to surround it.

Yes and it works beautifully:)

Mr Libido Incognito 08-08-2005 10:34 PM

wrote on 07 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Ok. This shopping trip I bought 2 gal. milk. I froze one. I put it
> in the fridge about 3 days ago and so far I have had 2 glasses of milk.
> The rest is still ice. How to you thaw it out without heating the
> milk?
>
> I am sure leaving it on the counter is not a good idea.

When my kids were small, we would often freeze milk. Then defrost it in
the microwave using the defrost cycle. The only trick is too shake the
milk up well after it is a liquid again as the butter fat seperates out.
And if not shaken the milk tastes weird.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Stan Horwitz 09-08-2005 03:45 AM

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> Ok. This shopping trip I bought 2 gal. milk. I froze one. I put it
> in the fridge about 3 days ago and so far I have had 2 glasses of milk.
> The rest is still ice. How to you thaw it out without heating the
> milk?
>
> I am sure leaving it on the counter is not a good idea.

You need to plan a little. Take the milk out of the freezer and put it
in your refrigerator one day before you intend to use it. In 24 hours,
it should be safely thawed.

Stan Horwitz 09-08-2005 03:47 AM

In article >, "Sis" >
wrote:

> Reread the post! She did put it in the refrigerator! Duh!
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Just a thought -- Put it in the refrigerator?
> >
> > Doh!

Oops. I didn't read either. The microwave idea makes sense.

maxine in ri 10-08-2005 02:55 AM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 22:45:54 -0400, Stan Horwitz >
connected the dots and wrote:

~In article .com>,
~ " > wrote:
~
~> Ok. This shopping trip I bought 2 gal. milk. I froze one. I put
it
~> in the fridge about 3 days ago and so far I have had 2 glasses of
milk. ^^^^^^^
~> The rest is still ice. How to you thaw it out without heating the
~> milk?
~>
~> I am sure leaving it on the counter is not a good idea.
~
~You need to plan a little. Take the milk out of the freezer and put
it
~in your refrigerator one day before you intend to use it. In 24
hours,
~it should be safely thawed.

Hey Stan, are you ok? She had it in the fridge for 3 days and it
still wasn't thawed out. Heat getting to you?

Concerned in ri

Kenneth 10-08-2005 04:26 AM

On 7 Aug 2005 21:36:03 -0700, "
> wrote:

>Ok. This shopping trip I bought 2 gal. milk. I froze one. I put it
>in the fridge about 3 days ago and so far I have had 2 glasses of milk.
> The rest is still ice. How to you thaw it out without heating the
>milk?

Howdy,

Where in the fridge did you have the milk?

I suspect that it was in the coolest part. A refrigerator is
not the same temperature throughout. Find the warmest
section, and put the milk there.

All the best,
--
Kenneth