Curly Sue

Default The Decline of Red Delicious

"They eventually went too far and ended up with apples the public
didn't want to eat," said Lee Calhoun, an apple historian and retired
orchardist in Pittsboro, N.C.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831038/

Sue(tm)
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
(Curly Sue) wrote:

> "They eventually went too far and ended up with apples the public
> didn't want to eat," said Lee Calhoun, an apple historian and retired
> orchardist in Pittsboro, N.C.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831038/

> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I saw that article on the Washington Post website. The apple growers
wanted an apple that would look great in a fruit bowl. Never mind that
it had the taste and mouthfeel of cork. Beauty is only skin deep. Give
me an old school McIntosh or Cortland any day. And Rome Beauties for
applesauce.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
notbob

On 2005-08-05, Richard Kaszeta > wrote:

> I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't seem to like Red
> Delicious. They are pretty much my least favorite apple, and remind
> me of eating wood.

So sad.

I recall when they were in their heyday, back in the late 60's. Our
family lived in Eastern WA for a year, not too far from Wanatchee, a
town in the heart of WA's apple country. The RD's we'd get were
awesome. The size of softballs, they popped! when you bit into them
and snapped off a chunk, they were so crisp. They were so juicy it was
impossible to eat one without wearing a bib or doing a Japanese bow to
avoid getting your shirt wet. The flavor was sublime. One of the
finest fruits I've ever tasted.

Now, RD's are so bad I haven't eaten one on years, preferring Fuji's
and others like the article states. Even worse, I've already noticed
a decline in Fuji quality since their rise in popularity. But, this is
not new news. It's been happening to all produce for decades, as we
all know. And the whole organic scam has done nothing to reverse this
trend. All it does is increase prices while delivering nothing in
inproved flavor. o/~ o/~ Money for nothing and ...flavor free o/~....

nb
Dee Randall

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-08-05, Richard Kaszeta > wrote:
>
>> I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't seem to like Red
>> Delicious. They are pretty much my least favorite apple, and remind
>> me of eating wood.

> So sad.
>
> I recall when they were in their heyday, back in the late 60's. Our
> family lived in Eastern WA for a year, not too far from Wanatchee, a
> town in the heart of WA's apple country. The RD's we'd get were
> awesome. The size of softballs, they popped! when you bit into them
> and snapped off a chunk, they were so crisp. They were so juicy it was
> impossible to eat one without wearing a bib or doing a Japanese bow to
> avoid getting your shirt wet. The flavor was sublime. One of the
> finest fruits I've ever tasted.
>
> Now, RD's are so bad I haven't eaten one on years, preferring Fuji's
> and others like the article states. Even worse, I've already noticed
> a decline in Fuji quality since their rise in popularity. But, this is
> not new news. It's been happening to all produce for decades, as we
> all know. And the whole organic scam has done nothing to reverse this
> trend. All it does is increase prices while delivering nothing in
> inproved flavor. o/~ o/~ Money for nothing and ...flavor free o/~....
>
> nb

I, too, went to Fuji apples and loved them, but the last two years they are
beginning to be a questionable purchase. They seem to have a
green/purplish/red color, you know, like oil setting on top of a water
puddle. I've seen this is different kinds of produce, say, cabbage. I've
been wondering if this is the radiation they've started using, but since it
doesn't say 'irradiated' on the boxes (as it well should have it stated),
you can't say that this is what is causing that irridescent color/colors. I
try not to purchase anything that has this un-appetizing color on the
outside, not knowing what the heck has been done to the inside as a result.

Go ahead and post all you wish about irradiation not causing harm,
pesticides not causing cancer, and so on; but it falls on deaf ears here.
Not to say that I don't eat things that are probably harmful to me
occasionally, but I do buy organic and will pay the price for it unless it's
just exhorbitant due to off-season. I'm not able to get a lot of organic
produce. After the way the price of tomatoes went up in the past two years,
one is hardly in the position to complain about prices of any produce; it
just keeps on getting higher. I don't mind that if it is quality (that is,
if EYE consider it quality.)

P.S. It would be nice to get a rutabaga not covered by 2# of wax -- tee hee!
Haven't seen one in years now.
Dee Dee

-L.

Curly Sue wrote:
> "They eventually went too far and ended up with apples the public
> didn't want to eat," said Lee Calhoun, an apple historian and retired
> orchardist in Pittsboro, N.C.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831038/
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Duh! As if they couldn't figure this out before they ruined it
altogether? I sometimes think all plant breeders are mentally ill. (I
used to work with them, so have some insight...)

-L.

S'mee [AKA Jani]

One time on Usenet, Cindy Fuller > said:
> In article >,
> (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
> > "They eventually went too far and ended up with apples the public
> > didn't want to eat," said Lee Calhoun, an apple historian and retired
> > orchardist in Pittsboro, N.C.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831038/

> I saw that article on the Washington Post website. The apple growers
> wanted an apple that would look great in a fruit bowl. Never mind that
> it had the taste and mouthfeel of cork. Beauty is only skin deep. Give
> me an old school McIntosh or Cortland any day. And Rome Beauties for
> applesauce.

Remember the thread about "what from where", listing good local foods.
I almost didn't even mention apples from WA, because they're just not
that good anymore. Makes me sad...

Jani (Who loves Gravensteins)
Cindy Fuller

(Curly Sue) wrote:

> > > "They eventually went too far and ended up with apples the public
> > > didn't want to eat," said Lee Calhoun, an apple historian and retired
> > > orchardist in Pittsboro, N.C.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831038/

> > I saw that article on the Washington Post website. The apple growers
> > wanted an apple that would look great in a fruit bowl. Never mind that
> > it had the taste and mouthfeel of cork. Beauty is only skin deep. Give
> > me an old school McIntosh or Cortland any day. And Rome Beauties for
> > applesauce.

> Remember the thread about "what from where", listing good local foods.
> I almost didn't even mention apples from WA, because they're just not
> that good anymore. Makes me sad...
>
> Jani (Who loves Gravensteins)

That's actually one reason why I didn't mention them, but SO chimed in.
He LIKES red delicious apples. (No accounting for taste.) I had
relatives in the orchard business back east. The apples and pears they
grew didn't win any prizes for beauty, but they tasted like fruit.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Sandi

Curly Sue wrote:
> "They eventually went too far and ended up with apples the public
> didn't want to eat," said Lee Calhoun, an apple historian and retired
> orchardist in Pittsboro, N.C.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831038/
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

The ones imported into Honduras from Chile are definitely different
from US Red Delcious apples. Not quite as mealy textured. They actually
have a flavor and are jucier than WA state Red Delicious that we get
imported here. In fact, given a choice between Chilean apples and US
apples, I'll take the Chilean - and this is from a former resident of
WA state.

Sandi

Marc

Same thing for Granny Smith use to love them but now more often than not
their mealy and the taste isn't very exciting. Oranges are getting to be
the same way.

Marc

"Sandi" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Curly Sue wrote:
> > "They eventually went too far and ended up with apples the public
> > didn't want to eat," said Lee Calhoun, an apple historian and retired
> > orchardist in Pittsboro, N.C.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831038/
> >
> > Sue(tm)
> > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> The ones imported into Honduras from Chile are definitely different
> from US Red Delcious apples. Not quite as mealy textured. They actually
> have a flavor and are jucier than WA state Red Delicious that we get
> imported here. In fact, given a choice between Chilean apples and US
> apples, I'll take the Chilean - and this is from a former resident of
> WA state.
>
> Sandi

Sandi

Marc (N_O-S_P_A_M) wrote:
> "Sandi" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Curly Sue wrote:
> > > "They eventually went too far and ended up with apples the public
> > > didn't want to eat," said Lee Calhoun, an apple historian and retired
> > > orchardist in Pittsboro, N.C.
> > >
> > > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831038/
> > >
> > > Sue(tm)
> > > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> > The ones imported into Honduras from Chile are definitely different
> > from US Red Delcious apples. Not quite as mealy textured. They actually
> > have a flavor and are jucier than WA state Red Delicious that we get
> > imported here. In fact, given a choice between Chilean apples and US
> > apples, I'll take the Chilean - and this is from a former resident of
> > WA state.

> Same thing for Granny Smith use to love them but now more often than not
> their mealy and the taste isn't very exciting. Oranges are getting to be
> the same way.
>
> Marc

I buy the Chilean Granny Smith and Fujis for the same reason: better
quality than the US imports.

A lot of export stuff from the US does not make the trip down here very
well. Candies,cookies, crackers, and fruits being the problematic
areas. Cheeses and deli meats are fine although I've found the stuff
imported from New Zealand to be of equal or better quality and a bit
less expensive.

Sandi

Julian Vrieslander

In article
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> That's actually one reason why I didn't mention them, but SO chimed in.
> He LIKES red delicious apples.

I like SOME red delicious apples, or used to like them. I do agree that
in recent years most of the ones available in supermarkets have been
lacking in flavor.

Some other apple varieties just don't agree with me. McIntosh (and some
others) have something in them that makes me slightly nauseuos. So
maybe that's one reason why I gravitated toward RDs.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Steve B.

Check your local farmers market. You may find there is a local grower
who still raises heirloom red delicious.
djs0302

Curly Sue wrote:
> "They eventually went too far and ended up with apples the public
> didn't want to eat," said Lee Calhoun, an apple historian and retired
> orchardist in Pittsboro, N.C.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831038/
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I didn't like Red Delicious Apples the first time I tried one over 30
years ago. I still don't like them. My grandparents had apple trees
on their farm that had been there for many generations. Now those were
good apples. I couldn't tell you the variety. They were probably
Jonathans or something similar.

Becca

It has been a long time since I have eaten a Red Delicious. I buy Fuji,
Gala, Braeburn and Jonagold.

My heart goes out to the Red Delicious growers. You have to be alert
and change with the times.

Becca
Nancy Young

"Becca" > wrote in message
> It has been a long time since I have eaten a Red Delicious. I buy Fuji,
> Gala, Braeburn and Jonagold.
>
> My heart goes out to the Red Delicious growers. You have to be alert and
> change with the times.

The ones with the new crappy tasting ones had to update their orchards
with them after they were engineered into ruin, no? Didn't they taste what
they were going to get with their grafting or whatever it is they do?

nancy

Denny Wheeler

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:57:45 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>Go ahead and post all you wish about irradiation not causing harm,
>pesticides not causing cancer, and so on; but it falls on deaf ears here.
>Not to say that I don't eat things that are probably harmful to me
>occasionally, but I do buy organic and will pay the price for it unless it's
>just exhorbitant due to off-season. I'm not able to get a lot of organic
>produce. After the way the price of tomatoes went up in the past two years,
>one is hardly in the position to complain about prices of any produce; it
>just keeps on getting higher. I don't mind that if it is quality (that is,
>if EYE consider it quality.)
>
>P.S. It would be nice to get a rutabaga not covered by 2# of wax -- tee hee!
>Haven't seen one in years now.

You want organically grown produce, your #1 best bet is to grow it
yourself. I recommend JI Rodale's _How to Grow Fruits and Vegetables
using the Organic Method_ to anyone who gardens. Even if one doesn't
go all-organic (I rarely do), that book has a vast amount of good
info.
(note that a fair bit of what's sold at retail as 'organic' isn't)

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.
Dee Randall

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:57:45 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
>>Go ahead and post all you wish about irradiation not causing harm,
>>pesticides not causing cancer, and so on; but it falls on deaf ears here.
>>Not to say that I don't eat things that are probably harmful to me
>>occasionally, but I do buy organic and will pay the price for it unless
>>it's
>>just exhorbitant due to off-season. I'm not able to get a lot of organic
>>produce. After the way the price of tomatoes went up in the past two
>>years,
>>one is hardly in the position to complain about prices of any produce; it
>>just keeps on getting higher. I don't mind that if it is quality (that is,
>>if EYE consider it quality.)
>>
>>P.S. It would be nice to get a rutabaga not covered by 2# of wax -- tee
>>hee!
>>Haven't seen one in years now.

> You want organically grown produce, your #1 best bet is to grow it
> yourself. I recommend JI Rodale's _How to Grow Fruits and Vegetables
> using the Organic Method_ to anyone who gardens. Even if one doesn't
> go all-organic (I rarely do), that book has a vast amount of good
> info.

Yes, it would be nice if we could all grow our own produce. We used to grow
a lot of our own vegetables, until .... well, everyone knows the rest of the
story -- life happens.
Dee Dee

Miche

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> P.S. It would be nice to get a rutabaga not covered by 2# of wax -- tee hee!
> Haven't seen one in years now.

Come to New Zealand. Waxing rutabagas is completely unknown here.

Miche

--
WWMVD?

Del Cecchi

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Becca" > wrote in message
>> It has been a long time since I have eaten a Red Delicious. I buy
>> Fuji, Gala, Braeburn and Jonagold.
>>
>> My heart goes out to the Red Delicious growers. You have to be alert
>> and change with the times.

> The ones with the new crappy tasting ones had to update their orchards
> with them after they were engineered into ruin, no? Didn't they taste
> what
> they were going to get with their grafting or whatever it is they do?
>
> nancy

I believe another problem is that the apples store best if picked "green"
or immature. So they were bred to get red before they were ripe. An
under ripe apple lacks flavor. Me, I like Minnesota Apples. Must be why
I have 15 apple trees in the yard. MMMM, almost time for State Fair's
to ripen, although my tree is more an even number year tree. Then the
Spartan and the HoneyGold and HoneyCrisp followed by Northern Spy and
Haralred and Harelson and ending with Fireside and an aberrant granny
smith if the freeze holds off.

Del

Denny Wheeler

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:47:36 +1200, Miche > wrote:

>Come to New Zealand. Waxing rutabagas is completely unknown here.
>
>Miche

Hey, are you the Miche who used to hang in The Place?

If so, howdy.
(if not, howdy anyway)