hahabogus

Default Need zucchini Grilling Ideas

Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut each
half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it. It was ok
but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my daughter's garden
I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Jarkat2002

>Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut each
>half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it. It was ok
>but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my daughter's garden
>I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.

Do the same as above and then rub w/ a bit of chili powder or sprinkle w/ a bit
of soy sauce or balsamic vinegar.
For a bit of sweetness, cinnamon and a sprinkle of sugar is great for a healthy
desert.
I could lived on grilled zucchini thru the summer
~Kat

"The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese."
Peter Aitken

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut each
> half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it. It was ok
> but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my daughter's garden
> I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.
>
> --
> Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
> and water.
> --------
> FIELDS, W. C.

Use olive oil with some crushed garlic in it. Perhaps some hot pepper too.

--
Peter Aitken

Mia

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut each
> half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it. It was ok
> but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my daughter's garden
> I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.
>
> --
> Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
> and water.
> --------
> FIELDS, W. C.

I usually cut the zucchini in half length-wise and score the flesh with Xs.
I brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill with the
scored side down. When you flip them over to grill the rounded side a bit,
top with freshly grated parmesan and grill until it's slightly melted. A
splash of good balsamic before serving and you're good to go.
I think scoring the flesh allows it to be more thoroughly flavored by the
grilling and the seasoning ...

Mia

Katra

In article > ,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
> > Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut each
> > half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it. It was ok
> > but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my daughter's garden
> > I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.
> >
> > --
> > Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
> > and water.
> > --------
> > FIELDS, W. C.

> Use olive oil with some crushed garlic in it. Perhaps some hot pepper too.

I like to marinate mine in Wishbone Italian dressing. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Rick & Cyndi

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
: Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and
cut each
: half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted
it. It was ok
: but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my
daughter's garden
: I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.
:
============

Yep - try WishBone* Italian Salad Dressing! Woo-Hoo! Also,
basting it with butter and sprinkling with basil, oregano, and/or
thyme with some Parmesan Cheese is delightful. Or you can do
butter or olive oil and some dill weed... Grilled with a little
olive oil and then topped with salsa... zucchini is one of the
best veggies for grilling and experimenting with (hush Sheldon)!

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

sethra

hahabogus > wrote in
:

> Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut
> each half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it.
> It was ok but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my
> daughter's garden I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini
> this year.

Mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic (preferably fresh, powder ok), salt &
pepper, and Tabasco in a dish.

Marinate then grill or use a brush to baste while grilling.

--
~sethra
sf

On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:47:56 -0500, Katra
> wrote:

> I like to marinate mine in Wishbone Italian dressing. :-)

I was going to suggest Italian too! It always seems to be
the perfect light marinade... especially for vegetables.
However, I prefer Good Seasons (dry stuff in a package) if I
don't throw the ingredients together myself.

;-)

jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:47:56 -0500, Katra
> > wrote:
>

>> I like to marinate mine in Wishbone Italian dressing. :-)
>>

> I was going to suggest Italian too! It always seems to be
> the perfect light marinade... especially for vegetables.
> However, I prefer Good Seasons (dry stuff in a package) if I
> don't throw the ingredients together myself.
>
> ;-)

I agree with that. I like that Good Seasons dry mix as a marinade
ingredient. I like it with zucchini and also yellow (crookneck) squash for
grilling. Keep it on indirect heat so the oil added doesn't flame up and
burn the squash. Balsamic is a good vinegar addition to the marinade. And,
as someone else suggested, slice the squash lengthwise and score the flesh
before marinating for a bit.

Jill

kalanamak

Olive oil and lemon juice with some lemon thyme minced in, brush
frequently

soy sauce, crushed garlic and shredded ginger with a bit of
cayenne,ditto

lime juice and a lot of salt and pepper. When done grilling drizzle some
Thai style peanut sauce thinned with more lime juice.

English malt vinegar and some oil.

blacksalt
summertime.....when the livin' is easy

Edwin Pawlowski

IMO, zucchini should be first dried and then used to replace charcoal for
grilling. --
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Maverick

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut each
> half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it. It was ok
> but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my daughter's garden
> I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.

Not sure if this is really considered grilling, although it -is- cooked on
the grill, but we make a foil packet with zucchini. On the zuc, we put
butter, salt, pepper, garlic and a lot of parsley. Fold up tightly and
throw on the grill.

I've got a propane grill so what I do is put the packet on the grill when I
fire it up to preheat it. When its heated up (about 10-15 minutes) I move
the packet to the upper rack and throw whatever meat de jour I'm grilling.
By the time the meat is done, the zuc is ready to go as well.

Bret

Puester

hahabogus wrote:

> Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut each
> half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it. It was ok
> but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my daughter's garden
> I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.
>
> --

Our standard is zucchini cut into thin rounds, placed in a grille
basket with sliced onions, mushrooms, green and red pepper chunks,
and occasionally partially nuked potato cubes. Drizzle with
olive oil, a bit of finely grated or chopped garlic, salt and pepper.
Grille, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, smoky and
just slightly charred to bring out the sugars.

Zucchini bread or muffins is a good way to use up a surplus, too.

gloria p
Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut each
> half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it. It was ok
> but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my daughter's garden
> I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.

IMHO, zucchini are too watery, but I love grilled yellow crookneck
squash. I slice them in half longways, coat them with some kind of
bottled oil-vinegar salad dressing (whatever's handy), and skewer them
or put them in a grill basket, and grill over high heat until a bit
charred. Yum.

Isaac
texpat

One of my favorites is to mix olive oil and garlic salt - probably about 1/4
C. olive oil to a tablespoon of salt.

Cut the zucchini lengthwise in thin slices, NOT cutting through the stem
end. Fan out, place on the grill and baste in the olive oil. Turn after a
few minutes. Zucchini will be done in about 10 minutes.

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Last night I grilled some zucchini ...I just cut it in half and cut each
> half into spears, rubbed it in canola oil and lightly salted it. It was ok
> but are there any better ways to grill it? Seems with my daughter's garden
> I'll have to move not to recieve much more zucchini this year.
>
> --
> Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
> and water.
> --------
> FIELDS, W. C.

texpat

When I use Italian, I chop up onions, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow crookneck
squash, zucchini, red and green peppers, and some black olives if I have
them. Partially cooked broccoli and cauliflower would be good, too.

I marinate the whole mess in Italian dressing for about 30 minutes (longer
is OK), then cook it on the grill in one of those "holy" pans, stirring
frequently.

Wonderful!

> > I like to marinate mine in Wishbone Italian dressing. :-)
> >

> I was going to suggest Italian too! It always seems to be
> the perfect light marinade... especially for vegetables.
> However, I prefer Good Seasons (dry stuff in a package) if I
> don't throw the ingredients together myself.
>
> ;-)
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Chris and Bob Neidecker

I like to use a mixture of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, rosemary and fresh
garlic on zucchini cut into planks about 1/4" thick. Really good stuff!

101 Ideas for Grilling.....Mark Bittman ImStillMags General Cooking 2 30-06-2010 11:46 PM
Tons of New Grilling Ideas gs Barbecue 6 27-01-2008 09:17 AM
Zucchini tribute: my recipe with many many pics [was Zucchini?] Pandora General Cooking 7 26-07-2007 01:09 PM
Bean ideas? Eggplant ideas? serene General Cooking 2 01-04-2006 11:27 PM
Grilling machine that let's you dice/chop/slice meat while grilling Forte Agent General Cooking 2 15-11-2004 12:03 AM