SPOONS

Default Panini???

Hi all,

I really want to try and make my own grilled panini sandwiches, I've never
eaten one before but they sound good. I don't have a panini grill press so
I was wondering what's the best way I can make it at home. I have an indoor
grill will it work on that or should I do it on my bbq, or a regular fry
pan????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks & Take care,
SPOONS

kilikini

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I really want to try and make my own grilled panini sandwiches, I've never
> eaten one before but they sound good. I don't have a panini grill press

so
> I was wondering what's the best way I can make it at home. I have an

indoor
> grill will it work on that or should I do it on my bbq, or a regular fry
> pan????
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks & Take care,
> SPOONS

What my husband does is heats the sandwich in a cast iron skillet, then
heats another cast iron skillet and "presses" it with the back of the other
hot skillet. It's not technically a panini, but it works!

kili

Dee Randall

"L, not -L" > wrote in message

> On 30-Jun-2005, "SPOONS" > wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I really want to try and make my own grilled panini sandwiches, I've
>> never
>>
>> eaten one before but they sound good. I don't have a panini grill press
>> so
>> I was wondering what's the best way I can make it at home. I have an
>> indoor
>> grill will it work on that or should I do it on my bbq, or a regular fry
>> pan????
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks & Take care,
>> SPOONS

> I make them at home occasionally; I use a cast iron grill pan and a bacon
> press (use a foil covered brick or other heavy object if you don't have a
> press). I grill on one side until grill marked and partially heated, then
> flip it, press it until heated through and second side grill marked.
>
> If you don't have a cast iron grill pan (get one, they are great for
> burgers, steaks...everything you'd grill), you could use a skillet but the
> result will be a bit different because of the full-contact versus partial
> contact a grill pan allows.

I guess I never have found a cast iron grill that doesn't impart the yukky
iron smell to what I am cooking. Is it perhaps because it is not seasoned
enough or the heat is not high enough.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cast iron grill to use on a typical
electric stove? I have a gennair that has a space for a grill but the
electric coils on it even create hot spots on a grill. (Can't remember the
grill description now, it's been packed away because of non-use.)
I do have a panini grill - absolutely love it, but sometimes seeing a
demonstration on foodnetwork using a grill, I long for a good one.
Dee
Dee

Teri

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I really want to try and make my own grilled panini sandwiches, I've never
> eaten one before but they sound good. I don't have a panini grill press

so
> I was wondering what's the best way I can make it at home. I have an

indoor
> grill will it work on that or should I do it on my bbq, or a regular fry
> pan????
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks & Take care,
> SPOONS

I use the George Forman grill.
Teri

sf

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:21:07 GMT, L, not -L wrote:

> I make them at home occasionally; I use a cast iron grill pan and a bacon
> press (use a foil covered brick or other heavy object if you don't have a
> press). I grill on one side until grill marked and partially heated, then
> flip it, press it until heated through and second side grill marked.

I saw someone on TV make them with a foil covered brick in a grill
pan. Worked for me! Panino was around long before they thought up
panini grills.

modom

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:10:31 GMT, "L, not -L" > wrote:

>On 30-Jun-2005, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> I guess I never have found a cast iron grill that doesn't impart the yukky
>>
>> iron smell to what I am cooking. Is it perhaps because it is not seasoned
>>
>> enough or the heat is not high enough.
>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a cast iron grill to use on a
>> typical
>> electric stove?

>I have never had an issue with an iron smell in using my cast iron skillet,
>grill pan, griddle or cornstick pan. They are very well seasoned; I did two
>seasoning cycles with each before putting them to cooking duty; by that I
>mean, I did what the manufacturer's instructions said to do to season the
>pan - twice.
>
>I have used gas stoves exclusively so can't comment on how that effect the
>outcome.

I wonder if Dee isn't using her iron pan with stuff that reacts with
it?

modom

Panini dwacon General Cooking 1 11-01-2006 03:03 PM
panini question Brian Connors General Cooking 7 12-01-2004 06:40 AM