Default More Indian recipes...

Hi guys,

I have tried a few more recipes and here they a

Green Masala Fish Fry:-

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=131

Saffron Rice:-

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=132

Pineapple in cream sauce:-

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=135

sf

On 28 Jun 2005 10:12:32 -0700, wrote:

> Green Masala Fish Fry:-

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=131

This made me poke around and I came up with another yummy sounding
recipe he http://women.indiatimes.com/articleshow/-1450305184.cms

Butter Fish Curry

Ingredients

4 butter fish (pabda)
4 tblsp mustard oil
4 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
1/2 tsp black cumin
6 sliced green chilies
salt to taste
2 tsp turmeric powder

Method:
Wash the pabda fish and remove the jaws of the fish.
Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder on the fish and leave them aside for
a while.
Heat the mustard oil in a pan and add black cumin and turmeric powder.
add sliced green chillies and just enough water to form the gravy. now
put the fish in the pan and sim the flame.
When the fish boils and softens, turn the fishes carefully on the
other side so that the fish does not break.
Add salt and sprinkle a generous amount of coriander leaves. See that
the gravy do not dry up.
Transfer onto a flat dish and pour mustard oil on it.
decorate the dish with more chopped coriander leaves and sliced green
chilies.

What's a butter fish (pabda)? Catfish! I love catfish.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...mpok/333_f.php
AlleyGator

sf > wrote:

>Butter Fish Curry
>
>Ingredients
>
>4 butter fish (pabda)
>4 tblsp mustard oil
>4 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
>1/2 tsp black cumin
>6 sliced green chilies
>salt to taste
>2 tsp turmeric powder

Quick question. I've never seen black cumin. Seed or powder? And I
assume you can't substitute regular cumin, right?

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
sf

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:27:32 GMT, AlleyGator wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> >Butter Fish Curry
> >
> >Ingredients
> >
> >4 butter fish (pabda)
> >4 tblsp mustard oil
> >4 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
> >1/2 tsp black cumin
> >6 sliced green chilies
> >salt to taste
> >2 tsp turmeric powder
> >

> Quick question. I've never seen black cumin.

Not familiar with it myself... find it 4 pictures down:
http://www.foodsubs.com/SpiceInd.html

> Seed or powder?

The recipe doesn't say, but it looks (from the picture) like you could
"bruise" it with your hands.

> And I assume you can't substitute regular cumin, right?

Not necessarily: http://www.cookbook.hu/angol_receptek/cumin.html
Quote: Black cumin is the fruit of a related plant that grows wild in
Iran and the Northern Indian region Kashmir. It is sometimes preferred
to ordinary (white) cumin for Northern Indian meat kormas.

Do you have any place where you can buy Indian spices near you?
Apparently it goes by a lot of other names! Nigella is common.
http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/nigella.html

Black Caraway, Black Cumin, Damascena, Devil in-the-bush, Fennel
flower, Melanthion, Nutmeg Flower, Roman Coriander, Wild Onion Seed
French: cheveux de Venus, nigell, poivrette
German: Scharzkummel (black caraway)
Italian: nigella
Spanish: neguilla
Indian: kala zeera (lit, ‘black cumin’), kalonji, krishnajiraka
Teri

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi guys,
>
> I have tried a few more recipes and here they a
>
> Green Masala Fish Fry:-
>
> http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=131
>
> Saffron Rice:-
>
> http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=132
>
> Pineapple in cream sauce:-
>
> http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=135

I noticed that you don't have a vindaloo recipe on your site- do you happen
to have a good and fairly easy recipe for vindaloo?
Teri

David Hare-Scott

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> sf > wrote:
>
> >Butter Fish Curry
> >
> >Ingredients
> >
> >4 butter fish (pabda)
> >4 tblsp mustard oil
> >4 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
> >1/2 tsp black cumin
> >6 sliced green chilies
> >salt to taste
> >2 tsp turmeric powder
> >

> Quick question. I've never seen black cumin. Seed or powder? And I
> assume you can't substitute regular cumin, right?
>
> --

There is a black cumin that is similar to normal cumin but I cannot speak
from experience as I never been able to obtain it.

"Black cumin'' is also a name given to Nigella (the seeds not Ms Lawson).
It is used in curries and other Indian foods (as are normal cumin and black
cumin) but it is nothing like normal cumin. The seeds look and taste quite
different.

I suspect you will find it hard to determine which the author intended,
which will make a difference to the result.

All of the above are generally used ground or at least bruised as the seeds
are quite firm and chewy and breaking them up releases the flavour.

David

M. FERRANTE

I love Indian food and found a curry sauce in a jar that you add your
meat to, simmer, and you are ready to go. And it is spicy!! Here is
the website, but you can get it at many major stores. Great tasting
stuff:

http://www.curryking.com/

Mark Ferrante
Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/