MJ

Default pork tenderloin

Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
tenderloin?, Do you like them done in the oven or on the grill?
MJ

The Joneses

MJ wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
> tenderloin?, Do you like them done in the oven or on the grill?
> MJ

Definitely grilled. So tender. Sprinkle with rub of your choice
(chipotle!) or just S&P. Or smear with dijon mustard. Grill about 25
min for a larger one, 15 for smaller, turning every 5 minutes, check
internal temp to your fav doneness. Tie up the skinny end or leave
open for the people who insist on meat well done. I like my tenderloin
medium only. Would make great kabobs, if not grilled to death? Grill
pineapple with.
Edrena

MJ

Arent you suppose to cook pork until it is fully cooked? I thought only beef
could be done medium, rare......ect...?
"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> MJ wrote:
>
> > Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
> > tenderloin?, Do you like them done in the oven or on the grill?
> > MJ

> Definitely grilled. So tender. Sprinkle with rub of your choice
> (chipotle!) or just S&P. Or smear with dijon mustard. Grill about 25
> min for a larger one, 15 for smaller, turning every 5 minutes, check
> internal temp to your fav doneness. Tie up the skinny end or leave
> open for the people who insist on meat well done. I like my tenderloin
> medium only. Would make great kabobs, if not grilled to death? Grill
> pineapple with.
> Edrena

Dave Smith

MJ wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
> tenderloin?, Do you like them done in the oven or on the grill?

You can do all sorts of things with pork tenderloin. The first
thing you do with any pork tenderloin is to remove that silver-blue
connective tissue and fat on the outside.

They can be split and butterflied and stuffed then baked. You can
use a regular poultry type stuffing, but I like to use apples or
dried apricots and usually spice it up a bit with curry powder or
cumin.

You can make a great satay with pork tenderloin. Slice it into
strips and marinate in soy sauce with some grated ginger and crushed
garlic for 3-60 minutes (not too long ot it gets too salty. Skewer
the strips and cook them on the grill and serve with a hot peanut
sauce.

You can do it with a Greek marinade. Butter fly the tenderloin and
pound it out to even thickness. Marinate in lemon juice, olive oil,
crushed garlic, some oregano, salt and pepper. You can throw some
wine in there too. Cook it on a hot grill about 2 minutes per side.

Another of my favourites is to cut it into medallions, fry the
medallions and use pan juices to make a sauce. There are all sorts
of variations. You can make some sort of a cream sauce. I usually
throw in some finely chopped onion, a bit of garlic, some chopped
dried apricot, curry powder and heavy cream.

kilikini

"MJ" > wrote in message
> Arent you suppose to cook pork until it is fully cooked? I thought only

beef
> could be done medium, rare......ect...?

Nope, we always do pork about medium. These days you really don't have to
worry as much about trichinosis due to all of the USA's health precautions.
I don't think there's been a case of it since the 1970's. Anyone have an
exact date on that?

kili

The Joneses

MJ wrote:

> Arent you suppose to cook pork until it is fully cooked? I thought only beef
> could be done medium, rare......ect...?

I wouldn't eat it rare, but a bit pinkish and still juicy. I truly believe I've
been overcooking tenderloin lo these many years. This has become one of my
favorite cuts. Just the right size for our small family with just enuf leftover
for a sandwich or two and/or a salad.
Edrena

> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
> > MJ wrote:
> > > Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
> > > tenderloin?

> > Definitely grilled. ... turning every 5 minutes, check
> > internal temp to your fav doneness.

Alexandra

MJ wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
> tenderloin?, Do you like them done in the oven or on the grill?
> MJ

We love pork tenderloin! My favorite way to cook it is whole, in my big
Wok in garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Chardonnay, mushrooms and a little
broth if needed. I brown it first on high and then turn the heat down,
add about a cup of Chardonnay (more or less, depending on how much of
the wine I have already had!) the mushrooms, garlic and seasonings
(salt, pepper, fresh herbs) and let it cook till medium- it doesnt take
long! Like some of the other posters, we dont like ANY meat well done,
so when its light pink, I slice it up in medallions. Then I make a
quick pan sauce out of the left over juice in the Wok with a little
butter and more wine.
Its wonderful and easy!!

nancree

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...richinosis.htm

This is a site from the U.S. government saying there are only about 12
new cases of trichinosis per year.
I know someone whose son went to Hawaii on a camping trip . They shot a
wild boar and ate it. Her son came down with trichinosis. He got over
it.

I think most people go ahead and eat pork anyway. I do.
Cheers,
Nancree

JeanineAlyse

MJ wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
> tenderloin?, Do you like them done in the oven or on the grill? MJ

Here is a paste of something stored for reference, and it was posted
here on September 2nd last year. Terrific photo layout for the how-to,
and I have tenderloins this way, though with different ingredients, aat
least a dozen times since learning. Each time was fun, and only once
did I end up a wee bit unhappy with the results, but that was ony
because of a poor "filler" selection I made and I roasted too long. I
do not use my outside grill at all, and I have done these only in my
home's gas oven.

http://www.kamado.com/discus/message...tml?1077047425
> It's good, and I seem to change the stuffing each time.

Picky ~JA~

MareCat

"MJ" > wrote in message
> Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
> tenderloin?, Do you like them done in the oven or on the grill?
> MJ

On the grill! One favorite marinade for us is lemon juice, oil, lots of
garlic, and s/p. Another is pureed chipotles in adobo sauce. We also
*love* pork tenderloin stuffed with diced prosciutto and provolone and
coated with olive oil and minced garlic (which is based on a recipe by
Ed Pawlowski--only we omit the chopped rosemary that also coats the
tenderloin).

Mary

MJ

WOW..those all sound good..lol..i will deffinately have to give some of
those a try.
MJ

MJ wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
> tenderloin?, Do you like them done in the oven or on the grill?
> MJ

I don't cook outdoors, although in a previous lifetime, I did do
tenderloins on the grill - they were great.

Now, I do them in a 450 deg. oven on a rack over a pan, marinated first
- about 25 minutes is about right.

Here's my marinade:

Pork Marinade (for loins or tenderloins) Nancy Dooley

soy sauce - about 1/4 C.
white wine - about =BD C.
red wine vinegar - about =BD C.
parsley flakes - a couple T.
pepper - to taste
garlic - minced, about 2 T.
oil - about 3/4 C.
Worcestershire sauce - about 3 T.
diced basil - a couple T.
lemon juice - about 1/4 C.

Marinate pork tenderloins or loin roasts for 4-8 hours.

N=2E

pjjehg

"MJ" wrote ...
> Just wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to cook a pork
> tenderloin?, Do you like them done in the oven or on the grill?
> MJ

I've done the recipe a couple times, and it's yummy. I should think that
you could consider it just a marinade and grill rather than bake.

Pam
SANTIAGO PORK ROAST - The New York Times International Cookbook (RFC)
8-10 servings

1 loin of pork (6-7 pounds)

1 large onion, thinly sliced in rings

2 bay leaves

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 cup lime or lemon juice

3/4 cup soy sauce

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp dried

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

Place loin of pork in a roasting pan and scatter onions over. Combine the
remaining ingredients and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over meat and
cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 12 hours or so, turning every so often.

Preheat oven to 325 F. Bake loin , basting frequently about 3 & 1/2 hours or
until thoroughly cooked.

A.C.

MJ wrote:

> Arent you suppose to cook pork until it is fully cooked? I thought only beef
> could be done medium, rare......ect...?

trichinosis dies at 137f. i generally cook my whole pork tenderloin to about
145f and let it carry over to around 150f. that way it's tender, juicy and safe
from creepy crawleys

Isaac Wingfield

In article >, "A.C." >
wrote:

> MJ wrote:
>

> > Arent you suppose to cook pork until it is fully cooked? I thought only
> > beef
> > could be done medium, rare......ect...?

> trichinosis dies at 137f. i generally cook my whole pork tenderloin to about
> 145f and let it carry over to around 150f. that way it's tender, juicy and
> safe from creepy crawleys

The pork council (or some other "official" source), says that pork is
safe before 150 F, but has best taste and texture closer to 160 F.

My doctor says that trichinosis just isn't a worry these days.

And lamb is pretty much ruined if it goes beyond pink.

Isaac

Bob (this one)

Isaac Wingfield wrote:
> In article >, "A.C." >
> wrote:
>
>>MJ wrote:
>>
>>>Arent you suppose to cook pork until it is fully cooked? I thought only
>>>beef
>>>could be done medium, rare......etc...?

>>trichinosis dies at 137f. i generally cook my whole pork tenderloin to about
>>145f and let it carry over to around 150f. that way it's tender, juicy and
>>safe from creepy crawleys

> The pork council (or some other "official" source), says that pork is
> safe before 150 F, but has best taste and texture closer to 160 F.

Boy do I disagree with that "official" source. I'm cooking pork loins to
130°F nowadays and letting them rest for a short time. Tender, moist,
tastier than when it's cooked as high as 150° or 160°. I do it in a
convection oven set to 225°. Seasoning is ground white pepper, garlic
powder and either McCormick's or Lawry's seasoning salt. Rubbed, let sit
for an hour or so at room temp and then cooked. Thinly sliced, it makes
dazzlingly good sandwiches.

> My doctor says that trichinosis just isn't a worry these days.

Not from commercial pork. It can be from mama-papa farms, especially
ones way out in the country where pigs are free to roam and might come
in contact with wildlife. Trichinae can be found in pork, bear, fox,
rat, horse, lion, walrus and humans (long pig). Eating undercooked game
meats are obvious risks. The U.S. has somewhere around 40 cases a year.

> And lamb is pretty much ruined if it goes beyond pink.

Exactly.

Pastorio