Richard Benfield

Default Chicken pasta bake recipe

Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken pasta bake?

Cheers

PENMART01

>"Richard Benfield" quized us with:
>
>Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken pasta bake?

Um, howza bout a hint, what is it?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Richard Benfield

Chicken pasta bake is like a tomato sauce mixed with pasta, then chicken
breasts and a white sauce.. something like that anyway..mozarrella cheese on
top and basil

It's very nice, I can't seem to find a good recipe for it..!

PENMART01

> "Richard Benfield" writes:
>
>Chicken pasta bake is like a tomato sauce mixed with pasta, then chicken
>breasts and a white sauce.. something like that anyway..mozarrella cheese on
>top and basil
>
>It's very nice, I can't seem to find a good recipe for it..!

You just wrote one... only thing is with both tomato sauce and white sauce it
sounds pretty disgusting.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

kilikini

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > "Richard Benfield" writes:
> >
> >Chicken pasta bake is like a tomato sauce mixed with pasta, then chicken
> >breasts and a white sauce.. something like that anyway..mozarrella cheese

on
> >top and basil
> >
> >It's very nice, I can't seem to find a good recipe for it..!

> You just wrote one... only thing is with both tomato sauce and white sauce

it
> sounds pretty disgusting.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

I'm questioning a red and white sauce too. Both? Wouldn't that make a
creamy red sauce?

kili

Richard Benfield

It's really nice believe me..It's kind of like lasagne, where you have a
bolognase sauce and a white sauce on top amongst the pasta..although it's
chicken in the sauce and not beef..

ravinwulf

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:09:56 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"PENMART01" > wrote in message
>> > "Richard Benfield" writes:
>> >
>> >Chicken pasta bake is like a tomato sauce mixed with pasta, then chicken
>> >breasts and a white sauce.. something like that anyway..mozarrella cheese
>>>on top and basil
>>>
>>>It's very nice, I can't seem to find a good recipe for it..!

>> You just wrote one... only thing is with both tomato sauce and white sauce
>>it sounds pretty disgusting.

>I'm questioning a red and white sauce too. Both? Wouldn't that make a
>creamy red sauce?

No, I think he's talking about something like a besciamella sauce
(cream sauce) layered with a tomato sauce. It's not particularly
uncommon in some mediterranian pasta dishes - cannelloni and
pasticchio come to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are others.
It's quite good actually.

Anyhow, I offer the following examples, neither of which contain
chicken; but either of which might provide a jumping off point for
experimenting...

Regards,
Tracy R.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

My Favorite Cannelloni

favorites, italian, pasta

----PASTA----
1 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
few drops of water
----FILLING----
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup onion; finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic; finely chopped
1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed; chopped again or
3/4 pound fresh spinach, cooked, drained; squeezed, chopped fine
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound ground round; ground twice if possible
2 each chicken livers
5 tablespoons parmesan cheese; freshly grated
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 large eggs; lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano; crumbled
salt and pepper, to tastee
----BESCIAMELLA----
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
----TOMATO SAUCE----
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion; finely chopped
4 cups italian plum or whole pack tomatoes; drained, coarse chopped
6 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely cut or, 2 tsp; dried basil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
pepper, to taste
----TOPPING----
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese; freshly grated
2 tablespoons butter; cut in tiny pieces

Pasta: Pour flour into mixing bowl, make a well in the center and in
it put egg, egg white, oil and salt. Mix together until dough can be
gathered into a rough ball. Moisten any remaining dry bits of flour
with drops of water and press them into the ball.

Knead on a floured board, working in extra flour if the dough seems
sticky. Wrap dough in plastic and let it rest for at least 10 minutes
before rolling.

Divide dough into 2 balls. Place 1 ball on floured board and flatten
into oblong 1-inch thick. Dust top lightly with flour. Using a heavy
rolling pin, start at one end of the oblong and roll lengthwise away
from yourself to within an inch or so of the farthest edge. Turn the
dough crosswise and roll across its width. Repeat turning and rolling
until dough is paper thin. If it starts to stick, lift carefully and
sprinkle some more flour under it.

Cut dough into about thirty-six 2- x 3-inch rectangles. Bring 6- to
8-quarts of water and 1 tablespoon salt to a rolling boil over high
heat in a large pot. Drop in pasta one piece at a time, stirring
gently with a wooden spoon for a few minutes to make sure it doesn't
stick. Return to a boil and cook over high heat, stirring
occasionally, for 5 minutes or until pasta is tender but not soft.
Drain, cool slightly, and spread pasta side by side on paper towels or
wax paper to dry.

Filling: Heat olive oil in 8- t0 10-inch skillet. Add onions and
garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently for 7-8
minutes, until they are soft but not brown. Stir in the spinach and
cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. When all of the moisture
cooks away and the spinach sticks lightly, transfer it to a mixing
bowl.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the same skillet and lightly brown the
beef, stirring constantly to break up any lumps. Add meat to spinach.

Melt 1 more tablespoon butter in skillet and cook the livers, turning
frequently 3-4 minutes, until somewhat firm, lightly browned but still
pink inside. [Note: I usualy cook them more than this; maybe it's
paranoid, but I don't want to eat any pink chicken.] Chop coarsely and
add to spinach/meat along with cheese, eggs, cream and oregano. Mix
gently but thoroughly. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

Besciamella: In heavy saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
Remove from heat and stir in flour. Pour in milk and cream all at
once, whisking constantly until flour is partially dissolved. Then
return pan to high heat and cook, stirring constantly with whisk. When
sauce comes to a boil and is smooth, reduce heat. Simmer, still
stirring, another 2-3 minutes until sauce coats the whisk heavily.
Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.

Tomato Sauce: Using big saucepan, heat olive oil until a light haze
forms over it. Add onions and cook over moderate heat for 7-8 minutes,
or until soft but not browned. Add other ingredients. Reduce heat to
very low and simmer, with pan partially covered, for about 40 minutes.
Stir occasionally. Press saucee through sieve or food mill into bowl.
Taste for seasoning.

Assembly: Preheat oven to 375F. Put 1 tablespoon of filling on bottom
thrid of pasta; roll up. Pour a film of tomato sauce into 2 10- x
14-inch baking dishes. Lay pasta rolls side by side in saucee. Pour
Besciamella over; spoon the rest of the Tomato Sauce over the top of
that. Scatter cheese and butter on the top. Bake 20 minutes; then
brown under the broiler for 30 seconds.

Notes: This is a pain in the butt to make but it's soooo good it's
worth it. It can be assembled and frozen with no ill effects, so I
find it's usually worth my while to make a double or even a triple
recipe and fill up a bunch (3-6) 8- x 8- x 2-inch disposable aluminium
pans (wrap tightly in several layers of foil; to reheat, put in 350F
oven for 70 minutes or so) for the freezer to be cooked later.

Store-bought canneloni shells can be subbed for fresh pasta if you're
pushed for time or faint of heart ~ they aren't as good; but this is
so rich you may not notice. Also, I'm thinking of trying this with
crepes a la Marilyn's Manicotti ~ the pasta is really the worst part
of making this. (Later note: Made Marilyn's Manicotti the other night
and was rather disappointed with the crepes ~ they were too thick,
despite my adding additional water to the batter. Might need thinner
batter yet, or a cooler skillet, I dunno. Anyhow, I think stick with
the original pasta.)

Contributor: adapted from Time Life - Foods of Italy

Yield: 6-8 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Pasticchio

favorites, pasta, greek

----MACARONI----
6 ounces pasticchio or elbow macaroni; (1 1/2 cups uncooked)
1/3 cup parmesan cheese; grated
1/4 cup milk
----MEAT SAUCE----
1 large egg; beaten
3/4 pound ground beef
1/2 cup onion; chopped
8 ounces canned tomato sauce
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
----WHITE SAUCE----
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 large egg; beaten
1/4 cup parmesan; grated

Macaroni: Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Stir
in the 1/3 cup Parmesan, the 1/4 cup milk, and 1 egg; set aside.

Meat Sauce: In skillet, cook ground beef and chopped onion till meat
is lightly browned and onion is tender; drain off excess fat. Stir in
tomato sauce, the 3/4 teaspoon salt, the cinnamon, nutmeg, and pepper;
set aside.

White Sauce: In saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour and the 1/4
teaspoon salt. Stir in the 1 1/2 cups milk; cook and stir till
thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir half the hot
sauce mixture into 1 beaten egg; return all to saucepan. Stir in the
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

Assembly: Layer half the macaroni mixture in an 8- x 8- x 2-inch
baking pan. Spoon meat mixture atop, then remaining macaroni. Spread
cream sauce over all. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes.
Let stand 10 miutes before serving.

Yield: 4 servings

Tara Banfield

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message

(Tastes like...)
> > You just wrote one... only thing is with both tomato sauce and white

sauce
> > it sounds pretty disgusting.

What? -- that sounds yummy!

(...)

> I'm questioning a red and white sauce too. Both? Wouldn't that make a
> creamy red sauce?

Pink?! It STILL sounds yummy! It's time for a foodie challenge! Everyone
not alarmed by the ingredients could develop a recipe for this (the pasta
options alone are dazzling!) and post it. Dare ya.

Tara

(the REAL address)

PENMART01

> "Tara Banfield"
>
>"kilikini" wrote:
>>
>>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>You just wrote one... only thing is with both tomato sauce and white
>>sauce it sounds pretty disgusting.

>What? -- that sounds yummy!
>
>(...)
>>
>> I'm questioning a red and white sauce too. Both? Wouldn't that make a
>> creamy red sauce?

>Pink?! It STILL sounds yummy!

Yes, Pink is yummy... but not pink pasta. See folks, lookit how many have
their taste in their ass.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon

Ada Ma

Tara Banfield wrote:
> Pink?! It STILL sounds yummy! It's time for a foodie challenge! Everyone
> not alarmed by the ingredients could develop a recipe for this (the pasta
> options alone are dazzling!) and post it. Dare ya.

Ah, I think you've got your colour scheme wrong. Tomato plus anything white
should give you a salmon like sort of pink. If you want REAL pink, you need
beetroot. Beet root pasta sounds fun. Make them into bows and possibly sell
them to raise money for Breast Cancer kind of thing.