Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Melba's Jammin'

Default Ahem! Modesty Doesn't Become Me

The First Lady of my state has invited me to a dinner in my honor.

OK, me and maybe 45 others. (Details, details)

How cool is that? Something about "notable women." (And here I was
hoping it was because I'm so darned cute.) The letter accompanying the
invite states her belief that the Governor's Residence should be used,
in part, to host events celebrating the diverse accomplishments of my
state's women. She read the article about my canning prowess in a local
feminist newspaper and decided she'd like to have me to the annual
dinner she's held since her husband took office 2-1/2 years ago.
Personally, I think she's cadging for some homemade jam and pickles.
And what kind of guest would come without a hostess gift? Hmmmmm? I
will certainly include pickle hats, too.

Deciding what to wear is on my mind -- "just stay away from shorts or
blue jeans" says her assistant. I'd like a summer frock if I can find
one that's flattering, versatile, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. My
other concern is how to address her -- she's a sitting judge and I need
to research whether it's Your Honor or Ms. HisLastName.
alt.fan.miss-manners has been no help thus far. Gloria thinks I should
call her assistant and inquire. That was my fall-back plan.

So there! Maybe I'll bring some of this.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Boozeberry Jam

Recipe By : Barb Schaller, posted to rec.food.cooking 5/20/05
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

4 1/2 cups blueberries
6 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1/3 cup orange juice
2 foil pouches liquid pectin
See blueberry/Southern Comfort note below

Prepare canning jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.

I added a small pkg of dehydrated blueberries soaked overnight in Triple
Sec and Southern Comfort (about 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup total).

Place blueberries in a large saucepot. Add sugar, lemon peel, and lemon
juice. Bring to a rolling boil over medium high heat, stirring
frequently. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard one minute. Ladle hot
jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe jar rims clean.
Adjust caps.

Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Yield: About 7 half-pint
jars.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton