Nancy Young

Default I'm so spoiled

Ron makes pasta sauce say, every other weekend or so. It's not
that I can't do it, but it's his relaxation. I just leave it to him. He
pours a glass of Valpolicella, turns on the jazz, whatever, and
chops away. I am most welcome to hang out and chit chat, but
hands off the food. I've come to accept that fact of life.

At any rate, I have hinted and come out and stated, I want you
to throw in a pork chop. He did it a couple of times, I was so
happy. Really, it takes so little.

Couple of weeks back, he surprised me with a few country
style ribs to put into the sauce, I cried for happy. Skipped
around the place like Snoopy. Could not wait!!

Went back downstairs a bit later, he was searing off the
chops. I stopped in horror, I swear I almost cried. NOOOO
you don't cook the pork!! I went into a pout.

(laugh) They were horrible. What was he thinking, he knew
better. So, this weekend, he did it all over again, he said, I
just put the country style ribs in raw, okay? YAY!!! Thank
you. Spoiled brat that I am, but damn are those melted ribs
damned good in the sauce or what???

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 May 2005 12:39:43p, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Ron makes pasta sauce say, every other weekend or so. It's not
> that I can't do it, but it's his relaxation. I just leave it to him. He
> pours a glass of Valpolicella, turns on the jazz, whatever, and
> chops away. I am most welcome to hang out and chit chat, but
> hands off the food. I've come to accept that fact of life.
>
> At any rate, I have hinted and come out and stated, I want you
> to throw in a pork chop. He did it a couple of times, I was so
> happy. Really, it takes so little.
>
> Couple of weeks back, he surprised me with a few country
> style ribs to put into the sauce, I cried for happy. Skipped
> around the place like Snoopy. Could not wait!!
>
> Went back downstairs a bit later, he was searing off the
> chops. I stopped in horror, I swear I almost cried. NOOOO
> you don't cook the pork!! I went into a pout.
>
> (laugh) They were horrible. What was he thinking, he knew
> better. So, this weekend, he did it all over again, he said, I
> just put the country style ribs in raw, okay? YAY!!! Thank
> you. Spoiled brat that I am, but damn are those melted ribs
> damned good in the sauce or what???
>
> nancy

Yeppers! When I make my big pot of sauce about once a month, I put in pork
ribs, veal ribs, beef short ribs, and links of hot and sweet Italian
sausages. All go in raw. When we dive into that sauce, we don't even need
the pasta! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Curly Sue

On Thu, 5 May 2005 15:39:43 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Ron makes pasta sauce say, every other weekend or so. It's not
>that I can't do it, but it's his relaxation. I just leave it to him. He
>pours a glass of Valpolicella, turns on the jazz, whatever, and
>chops away. I am most welcome to hang out and chit chat, but
>hands off the food. I've come to accept that fact of life.

Poor thing...

>At any rate, I have hinted and come out and stated, I want you
>to throw in a pork chop. He did it a couple of times, I was so
>happy. Really, it takes so little.
>
>Couple of weeks back, he surprised me with a few country
>style ribs to put into the sauce, I cried for happy. Skipped
>around the place like Snoopy. Could not wait!!
>
>Went back downstairs a bit later, he was searing off the
>chops. I stopped in horror, I swear I almost cried. NOOOO
>you don't cook the pork!! I went into a pout.
>
>(laugh) They were horrible. What was he thinking, he knew
>better. So, this weekend, he did it all over again, he said, I
>just put the country style ribs in raw, okay? YAY!!! Thank
>you. Spoiled brat that I am, but damn are those melted ribs
>damned good in the sauce or what???
>
>nancy

You lucky dog you... :>

Sue(tm)
Glitter Ninja

Wayne Boatwright > writes:
>On Thu 05 May 2005 12:39:43p, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> better. So, this weekend, he did it all over again, he said, I
>> just put the country style ribs in raw, okay? YAY!!! Thank
>> you. Spoiled brat that I am, but damn are those melted ribs
>> damned good in the sauce or what???

>Yeppers! When I make my big pot of sauce about once a month, I put in pork
>ribs, veal ribs, beef short ribs, and links of hot and sweet Italian
>sausages. All go in raw. When we dive into that sauce, we don't even need
>the pasta! :-)

I am apparently deprived. Want to share more details on how to make
this sauce of yours? Don't give away any secrets of course, but help a
chick who hasn't made a meat sauce before. (I do make a mean vegetarian
spaghetti sauce though.)

Stacia

Sheldon

Nancy Young wrote:
> Ron makes pasta sauce say, every other weekend or so. It's not
> that I can't do it, but it's his relaxation. I just leave it to him.

He
> pours a glass of Valpolicella, turns on the jazz, whatever, and
> chops away. I am most welcome to hang out and chit chat, but
> hands off the food. I've come to accept that fact of life.
>
> At any rate, I have hinted and come out and stated, I want you
> to throw in a pork chop. He did it a couple of times, I was so
> happy. Really, it takes so little.
>
> Couple of weeks back, he surprised me with a few country
> style ribs to put into the sauce, I cried for happy. Skipped
> around the place like Snoopy. Could not wait!!
>
> Went back downstairs a bit later, he was searing off the
> chops. I stopped in horror, I swear I almost cried. NOOOO
> you don't cook the pork!! I went into a pout.
>
> (laugh) They were horrible. What was he thinking, he knew
> better. So, this weekend, he did it all over again, he said, I
> just put the country style ribs in raw, okay? YAY!!! Thank
> you. Spoiled brat that I am, but damn are those melted ribs
> damned good in the sauce or what???
>
> nancy

We'd never make a couple... for stews, soups, sauces... very first
thing I do is brown whatever meat, not cook it through but brown it
over fairly high heat and then remove it while I saute whatever
veggies... and then add the browned meat back and continue adding stuff
for the sauce and let it stew slowly till the meat is super tender. I
think by your method you miss out on deriving full flavor.

Sheldon

Nancy Young

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> (laugh) They were horrible. What was he thinking, he knew
>> better. So, this weekend, he did it all over again, he said, I
>> just put the country style ribs in raw, okay? YAY!!! Thank
>> you. Spoiled brat that I am, but damn are those melted ribs
>> damned good in the sauce or what???

> We'd never make a couple... for stews, soups, sauces... very first
> thing I do is brown whatever meat, not cook it through but brown it
> over fairly high heat and then remove it while I saute whatever
> veggies... and then add the browned meat back and continue adding stuff
> for the sauce and let it stew slowly till the meat is super tender. I
> think by your method you miss out on deriving full flavor.

Uh uh, no. The texture of the pork SUCKED. It added nothing to
the sauce whatsoever. SUCKED. I like the meatballs and sausage
browned, not the pork. The raw pork breaks down and adds flavor
and texture and flavor to the sauce. Keep your browned pork to
yourself, I was taught by the best.

nancy

Sheldon

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> (laugh) They were horrible. What was he thinking, he knew
> >> better. So, this weekend, he did it all over again, he said, I
> >> just put the country style ribs in raw, okay? YAY!!! Thank
> >> you. Spoiled brat that I am, but damn are those melted ribs
> >> damned good in the sauce or what???

> > We'd never make a couple... for stews, soups, sauces... very first
> > thing I do is brown whatever meat, not cook it through but brown it
> > over fairly high heat and then remove it while I saute whatever
> > veggies... and then add the browned meat back and continue adding

stuff
> > for the sauce and let it stew slowly till the meat is super tender.

> > think by your method you miss out on deriving full flavor.

> Uh uh, no. The texture of the pork SUCKED. It added nothing to
> the sauce whatsoever. SUCKED. I like the meatballs and sausage
> browned, not the pork. The raw pork breaks down and adds flavor
> and texture and flavor to the sauce. Keep your browned pork to
> yourself, I was taught by the best.
>
> nancy

Nah, I'm not going to make any puns regarding Nancy's puny pink pork.

Sheldon <Big Brown>

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 May 2005 01:34:22p, Glitter Ninja wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > writes:
>>On Thu 05 May 2005 12:39:43p, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> better. So, this weekend, he did it all over again, he said, I
>>> just put the country style ribs in raw, okay? YAY!!! Thank
>>> you. Spoiled brat that I am, but damn are those melted ribs damned
>>> good in the sauce or what???

>>Yeppers! When I make my big pot of sauce about once a month, I put in
>>pork ribs, veal ribs, beef short ribs, and links of hot and sweet
>>Italian sausages. All go in raw. When we dive into that sauce, we
>>don't even need the pasta! :-)

> I am apparently deprived. Want to share more details on how to make
> this sauce of yours? Don't give away any secrets of course, but help a
> chick who hasn't made a meat sauce before. (I do make a mean vegetarian
> spaghetti sauce though.)
>
> Stacia

Hi, Stacia! If you make a mean vegetarian spaghetti sauce, then you
probably already have the start of a great meat sauce. I don't exactly
have a recipe, but I learned to make this sauce when I was a young
teenager. Our next door neighbors were from Italy, and I haunted their
kitchen on a regular basis to learn how to make many of their old country
dishes.

This is what I do...

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup cubed salt pork
2 tablespoons finly minced garlic
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped carrot
2 cups canned chicken broth
6 pounds fresh plum tomatoes (preferable)
- OR -
4 28-ounce cans plum tomatoes
1 large can tomato paste
1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar (to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
1 pound meaty pork ribs
1 pound meaty veal ribs
1 pound meaty beef short ribs
1-2 pounds mixed sweet and hot Italian sausages

Note: I do not use any boneless ribs. The deepest flavor is in the bones.

If using fresh tomatoes, scald, peel, and core tomatoes and set aside.

In a very large sauce pot or stock pot, heat olive oil and salt pork over
medium heat, sautéing salt pork until fat is rendered and pork is crisp.
Strain and return fat to the pot, discarding the crisp bits or reserve for
another use.

Add garlic, onion, celery, and carrots to fat and sauté slowly until onion
is transparent and slightly golden. Add chicken broth and continue cooking
until all vegetables are very tender.

Add tomatoes and crush well (chop well if using fresh). Add tomato paste,
sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. (Note: amounts of sugar and salt will be
dictated by the flavor of the combined ingredients. All the vegetables
will vary in natural sweetness and saltiness.)

Bring mixture to a full simmer, then reduce heat as low as possible. Cook
1 hour, partially covered. Add chopped parsley, basil, oregano, pork,
veal, beef ribs, and sausages. Stir gently to distribute ingredients.
Return to a full simmer, then reduce heat again as low as possible.
Continue cooking an additional 6-7 hours, partially covered. You may need
to add water to maintain consistency, as you do not want the mixture to
become overly thick.

A half hour before cooking is complete, you may add additional fresh herbs
to spark the flavor.

This sauce freezes well.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dimitri

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ps.com...

<snip>

>> (laugh) They were horrible. What was he thinking, he knew
>> better. So, this weekend, he did it all over again, he said, I
>> just put the country style ribs in raw, okay? YAY!!! Thank
>> you. Spoiled brat that I am, but damn are those melted ribs
>> damned good in the sauce or what???
>>
>> nancy

> We'd never make a couple... for stews, soups, sauces... very first
> thing I do is brown whatever meat, not cook it through but brown it
> over fairly high heat and then remove it while I saute whatever
> veggies... and then add the browned meat back and continue adding stuff
> for the sauce and let it stew slowly till the meat is super tender. I
> think by your method you miss out on deriving full flavor.
>
> Sheldon

Thanks - I got very confused for a minute.

I 'm with you whether its neck bones or the bottom of the ribs (trimmed when
making Saint Louis style) I have always browned the bones/ribs/meat first. The
difference is substantial.

Atts-a-da way mamma Campezzi did it in Bayville.

Dimitri

Nancy Young

"Dimitri" > wrote

> I 'm with you whether its neck bones or the bottom of the ribs (trimmed
> when making Saint Louis style) I have always browned the bones/ribs/meat
> first. The difference is substantial.

No way, not the pork. The meatballs? The sausage? Yes.

Not the pork. The texture is *ruined*

You all will not change my mind. I sure changed ron's mind.
When I'm right, I'm right. Am I wrong Dimitri or are you of
Russian descent. You know I adore you.

Sheldon, I don't think Jewish people are known for their
prowess with pork, sorry.

I'll stay with my ex inlaws for their fabulous Italian food.
End of that subject.

nancy

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:
(snip)
> Went back downstairs a bit later, he was searing off the
> chops. I stopped in horror, I swear I almost cried. NOOOO
> you don't cook the pork!! I went into a pout.

> nancy

But, but, but. . . my childhood neighbor says to brown the meat first.
Though Bette did say to brown it slowly, not "sear it". Now, Bette was
of French extraction but she was married to Augie -- Italiano through
and through. And either Augie or his mom taught her to make the sauce.
Too bad you guys didn't know her -- one very cool woman.

* Magically Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Bette Mezzenga's Italian Spaghetti Sauce

Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 05/05/05
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Entrees

2 # pork neckbones -- beef neckbones,
spareribs, stewing hen, or beef stew
meat‹but not ground beef (2 to 3#)
1 medium onion -- diced
1 large clove garlic -- diced
chopped green pepper if available
1 tsp. salt (to taste)
Black pepper
1 Tbsp. crushed basil
1 Tbsp. crushed oregano (not ground)
1/4 tsp. thyme -- sage (each)
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
1 tsp. fennel seed -- parsley flakes (each)
2 quarts whole tomatoes
1 can Contadina tomato paste -- (6 oz.)
1 can tomato sauce -- (8 oz.)
1 tsp. sugar

Brown meat slowly (about 30 minutes). Add and brown onion and garlic.
Sprinkle herbs and spices on top of meat. Add remaining ingredients and
simmer 2-3 hours. If sauce is too ³loose,² it can be thickened slightly
with a bit of cornstarch mixed with with cold water, if desired.

Bette told Mom, ³Don¹t worry, Grandma, she can learn to cook after she
gets married. She¹ll be just fine.² And she did. And she is.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Source: Bette Mezzenga, Augie¹s amazing wife and our good
neighbor, 1960s.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am! 5/3/05
aem

Nancy Young wrote:
> [snip]
> No way, not the pork. The meatballs? The sausage? Yes.
>
> Not the pork. The texture is *ruined* [snip]

You're right on with this one. Browning meat first works best with
just about any braise or stew because it adds complexity to the
flavors. But for long, long, long simmered tomato gravy, just chunk up
that pork shoulder and cook it till it almost seems to dissolve. No
crispy, caramelized bits desired. -aem

Nancy Young

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> [snip]
>> No way, not the pork. The meatballs? The sausage? Yes.
>>
>> Not the pork. The texture is *ruined* [snip]

> You're right on with this one. Browning meat first works best with
> just about any braise or stew because it adds complexity to the
> flavors. But for long, long, long simmered tomato gravy, just chunk up
> that pork shoulder and cook it till it almost seems to dissolve. No
> crispy, caramelized bits desired. -aem

I could cry, you're so right. (laugh) It was so succulent the way I
love it, rather than the solid meat it winds up if you brown it first.
It's not the same thing. It doesn't dissolve when it's browned.

(smile) I'll be quiet now, but I'm right.

nancy

-L.

Nancy Young wrote:
> Ron makes pasta sauce say, every other weekend or so. It's not
> that I can't do it, but it's his relaxation.

<snip>

I had a BF from Arezzo Italy that cooked pork in the sauce like that.
It was great - much different than the way I make mty sauce, but still
quite yummy. Until I met him, I had never had sauce/meat cooked that
way.

-L.

Dimitri

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

<SNIP>

> You all will not change my mind. I sure changed ron's mind.
> When I'm right, I'm right. Am I wrong Dimitri or are you of
> Russian descent. You know I adore you.

As I adore you and you are asking a very complex question about exposure to
food:

Follow if you can.

Greek Blood

Russian Decent

Born in HOLLYWOOD

Grandparents one set lived as White Russian one set as Greek. All spoke Russian,
Greek, French and English at home.

Lived in Mexico city and around different parts of Mexico for 4 + years -
Stepfather first generation Mexican Born of Southern Italian parents ( Family
ate Italian {Neapolitan style}) - The tradition was to burn the garlic in the
olive oil and discard the burnt garlic before starting the sauce which most of
the time used a leftover piece of roast for the meat. Also learned how to use
the cop of pasta water served with the carbonara.

Spent 8 summers in Bayville Longgisland (north shore (can't spell shawar
correctly) palled around with the Campizi <sp> brothers learned about Lemon
Ices, Pizza slices, Micky's, cherry stones, knuckles, poison ivy & a rock salt
load in a 12 gage. I guess the farmed didn't want us to "borrow his corn or
tomatoes" LOL

Mrs. Campizi made a killer 7 hour sauce and listened to Alan Freed. Papa
Campizi made a killer Dago red served to the kids with sliced peaches in a
Welch's grape jelly jar.

I was 14 before I ate my first Hostess cupcake (thought I had died and gone to
heaven). I though all cakes had to have 4 to 6 layers.

Married a little (young) lady from Pasadena Had my first Yankee pot roast at 20
or 21.

So maybe I know a little .... not Much but usually enough to get by.

Dimitri

Ginny Sher

On 5 May 2005 23:43:22 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> [...]

>until all vegetables are very tender.
>
>Add tomatoes and crush well (chop well if using fresh). Add tomato paste,
>sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. (Note: amounts of sugar and salt will be
>dictated by the flavor of the combined ingredients. All the vegetables
>will vary in natural sweetness and saltiness.)
>
>Bring mixture to a full simmer, then reduce heat as low as possible. Cook
>1 hour, partially covered. Add chopped parsley, basil, oregano, pork,
>veal, beef ribs, and sausages. Stir gently to distribute ingredients.
>Return to a full simmer, then reduce heat again as low as possible.
>Continue cooking an additional 6-7 hours, partially covered. You may need
>to add water to maintain consistency, as you do not want the mixture to
>become overly thick.
>
>A half hour before cooking is complete, you may add additional fresh herbs

So.... are the ribs served over pasta in the sauce, or do they disolve
and you fish the bones out before serving? I'm confused about this,
but it sounds great. I'd like to know how you plate this dish.

Thanks,
Ginny
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 May 2005 07:21:31p, Ginny Sher wrote in rec.food.cooking:

< long recipe snipped >

> So.... are the ribs served over pasta in the sauce, or do they disolve
> and you fish the bones out before serving? I'm confused about this,
> but it sounds great. I'd like to know how you plate this dish.
>
> Thanks,
> Ginny

Yes, usually the meat has fallen or is ready to fall off the bone. I don't
usually serve this sauce the same day that it's made. It tastes better if
it's allowed to sit overnight in the refrigerator. prior to that I ladle
out as much liquid sauce as I can, then fully separate the bones from the
meat. I store the meat in just enough sauce to cover in a separate
container from the main container of sauce. When serving, both are heated
up and portions of meat are served on top of the pasta to those who want
it.

Oh, and yes, some of the meat does indeed sort of "melt" into the sauce.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
sf

On Thu, 5 May 2005 15:39:43 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Spoiled brat that I am,

<snip>

Okay... I'm not going to argue - you're spoiled. I can't call you a
brat, because you aren't.... but you're certainly spoiled.

Shaun aRe

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> (smile) I'll be quiet now, but I'm right.
>
> nancy

LOL! I am sure my wife would say you remind her of me, heheheheh...

',;~}~

Shaun aRe - No, I'm not always right, it's just that whenever I'm wrong, I
keep my mouth shut. ',;~}~

-L.

Nancy Young wrote:

> No way, not the pork. The meatballs? The sausage? Yes.
>
> Not the pork. The texture is *ruined*
>
> You all will not change my mind. I sure changed ron's mind.
> When I'm right, I'm right. Am I wrong Dimitri or are you of
> Russian descent. You know I adore you.
>
> Sheldon, I don't think Jewish people are known for their
> prowess with pork, sorry.
>
> I'll stay with my ex inlaws for their fabulous Italian food.
> End of that subject.
>
> nancy

Now, now, nancy, you're being a food snob.

Really, it depends on taste, doesn't it? (Or for me, mood.) I have had
it both ways and enjoyed it both ways. To each his own.

-L.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 06 May 2005 08:04:43a, Gal Called Jani wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:
>> On Thu 05 May 2005 03:05:54p, Gal Called Jani wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:

>> > I'd like to hear about this method myself, it sounds divine...
>> >

>> I already posted it, Jani.

> Got it, thanks hon... :-)

I'm glad. I was going to repost it if you hadn't. Sometimes my posts
don't go through as quickly.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Ranee Mueller

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Hi, Stacia! If you make a mean vegetarian spaghetti sauce, then you
> probably already have the start of a great meat sauce. I don't exactly
> have a recipe, but I learned to make this sauce when I was a young
> teenager. Our next door neighbors were from Italy, and I haunted their
> kitchen on a regular basis to learn how to make many of their old country
> dishes.

Okay, this sounds sooo good. I am going to have to make it right
away, and it is all your fault.

Regards,
Ranee (who will finally be making that banoffee tart this weekend for
Mother's Day - we're going on a picnic!)

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> This is what I do...
>
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> 1/2 cup cubed salt pork

One question: Could I substitute bacon, since I have a ton of that,
and do not have salt pork?

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 06 May 2005 10:49:36a, Ranee Mueller wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> This is what I do...
>>
>> 1/4 cup olive oil 1/2 cup cubed salt pork

> One question: Could I substitute bacon, since I have a ton of that,
> and do not have salt pork?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Absolutely. If it's heavily smoked, blanch it in boiling water first before
rendering. Good luck and enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 06 May 2005 10:49:07a, Ranee Mueller wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi, Stacia! If you make a mean vegetarian spaghetti sauce, then you
>> probably already have the start of a great meat sauce. I don't exactly
>> have a recipe, but I learned to make this sauce when I was a young
>> teenager. Our next door neighbors were from Italy, and I haunted their
>> kitchen on a regular basis to learn how to make many of their old
>> country dishes.

> Okay, this sounds sooo good. I am going to have to make it right
> away, and it is all your fault.

LOL!

> Regards,
> Ranee (who will finally be making that banoffee tart this weekend for
> Mother's Day - we're going on a picnic!)

Have a great picnic, a wonderful Mother's Day, and let me know how you
like the pie.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974