PENMART01

Default Holy Moses!

MY TRADEMARK, MOST REQUESTED, ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT CARAMEL MATZOH CRUNCH
An outstanding, unique, and easy confection. If you make only one thing at
Passover, make this.

4-6 unsalted matzohs
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter or unsalted Passover margarine
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup coarsely chopped chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large (or two smaller) cookie sheet
completely with foil. Cover the bottom of the sheet with baking parchment €”
on top of the foil. This is very important since the mixture becomes sticky
during baking.

Line the bottom of the cookie sheet evenly with the matzohs, cutting extra
pieces, as required, to fit any spaces.

In a 3-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the butter or margarine and the
brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture
comes to a boil (about 2 to 4 minutes). Boil for 3 minutes, stirring
constantly. Remove from the heat and pour over the matzoh, covering completely.

Place the baking sheet in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 350°.
Bake for 15 minutes, checking every few minutes to make sure the mixture is not
burning (if it seems to be browning too quickly, remove the pan from the oven,
lower the heat to 325°, and replace the pan).

Remove from the oven and sprinkle immediately with the chopped chocolate or
chips. Let stand for 5 minutes, then spread the melted chocolate over the
matzoh. While still warm, break into squares or odd shapes. Chill, still in the
pan, in the freezer until set.

This makes a good gift.

Variation:
You can also use coarsely chopped white chocolate (or a combination of white
and dark), and chopped or slivered toasted almonds (sprinkled on top as the
chocolate sets). You can also omit the chocolate for a caramel-alone
buttercrunch.

A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking
1998
by Marcy Goldman
Doubleday

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

hahabogus

"elaine" > wrote in news:407b244d$1_2@aeinews.:

> Ok, for those of us that aren't Jewish what's a matzohs and where do we
> get it?

You can use a cookie sheet full of soda crackers and regular salted butter
and chocolate chips...Tastes a lot like a Skor chocolate bar.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
PENMART01

>"elaine" > wrote
>
>Ok, for those of us that aren't Jewish what's a matzohs and where do we
>get it?

If your mother named you "Elaine" you're Jewish.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

cathy

On 12 Apr 2004 22:40:31 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

>MY TRADEMARK, MOST REQUESTED, ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT CARAMEL MATZOH CRUNCH
>An outstanding, unique, and easy confection. If you make only one thing at
>Passover, make this.
>
>4-6 unsalted matzohs
>1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter or unsalted Passover margarine
>1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
>3/4 cup coarsely chopped chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate
>
>Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large (or two smaller) cookie sheet
>completely with foil. Cover the bottom of the sheet with baking parchment —
>on top of the foil. This is very important since the mixture becomes sticky
>during baking.
>
>Line the bottom of the cookie sheet evenly with the matzohs, cutting extra
>pieces, as required, to fit any spaces.
>
>In a 3-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the butter or margarine and the
>brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture
>comes to a boil (about 2 to 4 minutes). Boil for 3 minutes, stirring
>constantly. Remove from the heat and pour over the matzoh, covering completely.
>
>Place the baking sheet in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 350°.
>Bake for 15 minutes, checking every few minutes to make sure the mixture is not
>burning (if it seems to be browning too quickly, remove the pan from the oven,
>lower the heat to 325°, and replace the pan).
>
>Remove from the oven and sprinkle immediately with the chopped chocolate or
>chips. Let stand for 5 minutes, then spread the melted chocolate over the
>matzoh. While still warm, break into squares or odd shapes. Chill, still in the
>pan, in the freezer until set.
>
>This makes a good gift.
>
>Variation:
>You can also use coarsely chopped white chocolate (or a combination of white
>and dark), and chopped or slivered toasted almonds (sprinkled on top as the
>chocolate sets). You can also omit the chocolate for a caramel-alone
>buttercrunch.
>
>A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking
>1998
>by Marcy Goldman
>Doubleday

Argh!! I made two batches of this recipe for Passover, and both came
out differently, but both started to burn by 6 minutes into the baking
time. My recipe calls for 350, not 375, and anywhere from 8 to 12
minutes. I set it for 8 minutes, and each time had to pull the pan out
before that (and it's not my stove, it's properly calibrated, just
checked that a couple of months ago).

On top of that, the stovetop mixture started to smell like it was
burning well before the 3 minute boiling time ended.

It all tasted great, and there wasn't any left, but why can't I get it
to come out consistently every time? It's frustrating. Near as I can
tell, you want the matzo to be completely soaked through with the
caramel mixture, so it's on both sides of the matzo when it bakes.

Here's a tip - line the baking pan with the new Reynolds Release foil,
you won't need parchment paper. The Release foil comes right off.

Cathy
tuppy

Matzoh...the unleavened bread that the newly freed Hebrew slaves consumed on
their way out of Egypt with Moses leading the way. They were in such a
hurry they could not wait for their bread to rise so they baked it as is..
This is ceremonial "bread" eaten during Passover. The best place to find it
is at a major chain grocery store. They virtually all carry it (in the U.S.
that is) year around. Check the ethnic food section.

"elaine" > wrote in message news:407b244d$1_2@aeinews....

> [...]

> > This makes a good gift.
> >
> > Variation:
> > You can also use coarsely chopped white chocolate (or a combination of

> white
> > and dark), and chopped or slivered toasted almonds (sprinkled on top

as
> the
> > chocolate sets). You can also omit the chocolate for a caramel-alone
> > buttercrunch.
> >
> > A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking
> > 1998
> > by Marcy Goldman
> > Doubleday
> >

> > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> > ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> > Sheldon
> > ````````````
> > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

> Ok, for those of us that aren't Jewish what's a matzohs and where do we

elaine

PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"elaine" > wrote
> >
> >Ok, for those of us that aren't Jewish what's a matzohs and where do we
> >get it?

> If your mother named you "Elaine" you're Jewish.

Wrong, I'm a Presbyterian from Scotland ---
Elaine

sf

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:19:22 -0400, "elaine"
> wrote:

> PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > >"elaine" > wrote
> > >
> > >Ok, for those of us that aren't Jewish what's a matzohs and where do we
> > >get it?

> > If your mother named you "Elaine" you're Jewish.

> Wrong, I'm a Presbyterian from Scotland ---
> Elaine

http://www.jesusanswers.com/names/gi...0Girls%20E.htm

elaine

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:19:22 -0400, "elaine"
> > wrote:

where do we

> > > If your mother named you "Elaine" you're Jewish.

> > Wrong, I'm a Presbyterian from Scotland ---
> > Elaine

http://www.jesusanswers.com/names/gi...0Girls%20E.htm

Yes, I did a search too - on the off chance that I might be Jewish and
didn't know
E.

holy..... Peter Lucas[_18_] General Cooking 12 28-10-2010 06:50 PM
Holy Cow! sf[_3_] General Cooking 62 19-11-2007 11:05 PM
Proofs of LORD Almighty GOD: Pastorio was convicted by the Holy Spirit on the eve of Halloween, stricken on the eve of Christmas, slain on April Fool's day, and now another convicted by the Holy Spirit projects his own homicidal thoughts. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD[_18_] General Cooking 73 29-05-2007 09:19 AM
God Is Holy [email protected] General Cooking 15 17-04-2006 07:10 AM