Steve & Chris Clark

Default how to make these ahead?

Hi everyone

I would like to make spring rolls ahead of time. What is the best way to
have a successful end result.
Should I stuff/roll them and pre deep fry them only partially and freeze
then finish deep frying before serving? Deep fry them fully and freeze
then for a reheat that evening in a hot oven?
any ideas?
thanks in advance
Chris

---

Daisy

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:37:57 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
> wrote:

>Hi everyone
>
>I would like to make spring rolls ahead of time. What is the best way to
>have a successful end result.
>Should I stuff/roll them and pre deep fry them only partially and freeze
>then finish deep frying before serving? Deep fry them fully and freeze
>then for a reheat that evening in a hot oven?
>any ideas?
>thanks in advance
>Chris

I make mini spring rolls and freeze them. I guess you could make the
larger ones the same. I simply cook and cool the filling - whatever
I am using - and then assemble the rolls. I put them on a tray in
the freezer separately and when they are frozen, either lay them out
in rows in freezer trays or put them into plastic bags, and tie them
down.

They freeze fine like this. Maybe others can advise if the fillings
can also be frozen uncooked. But mine turn out okay. I usually
thaw them out sufficiently to shallow fry them in oil.

Hope this helps.

Daisy
Steve & Chris Clark

aha.....freeze BEFORE deep frying
thank you Daisy
Chris

"Daisy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:37:57 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone
> >
> >I would like to make spring rolls ahead of time. What is the best way to
> >have a successful end result.
> >Should I stuff/roll them and pre deep fry them only partially and freeze
> >then finish deep frying before serving? Deep fry them fully and freeze
> >then for a reheat that evening in a hot oven?
> >any ideas?
> >thanks in advance
> >Chris
> >

> I make mini spring rolls and freeze them. I guess you could make the
> larger ones the same. I simply cook and cool the filling - whatever
> I am using - and then assemble the rolls. I put them on a tray in
> the freezer separately and when they are frozen, either lay them out
> in rows in freezer trays or put them into plastic bags, and tie them
> down.
>
> They freeze fine like this. Maybe others can advise if the fillings
> can also be frozen uncooked. But mine turn out okay. I usually
> thaw them out sufficiently to shallow fry them in oil.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Daisy

---

Peter Aitken

"Daisy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:37:57 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone
> >
> >I would like to make spring rolls ahead of time. What is the best way to
> >have a successful end result.
> >Should I stuff/roll them and pre deep fry them only partially and freeze
> >then finish deep frying before serving? Deep fry them fully and freeze
> >then for a reheat that evening in a hot oven?
> >any ideas?
> >thanks in advance
> >Chris
> >

> I make mini spring rolls and freeze them. I guess you could make the
> larger ones the same. I simply cook and cool the filling - whatever
> I am using - and then assemble the rolls. I put them on a tray in
> the freezer separately and when they are frozen, either lay them out
> in rows in freezer trays or put them into plastic bags, and tie them
> down.
>
> They freeze fine like this. Maybe others can advise if the fillings
> can also be frozen uncooked. But mine turn out okay. I usually
> thaw them out sufficiently to shallow fry them in oil.
>
> Hope this helps.

In my opinion these need to be fried just before serving. I have made them
the day before and kept them refrigerated, then out 1 hour to warm to room
temp before frying. I have not tried freezing.

--
Peter Aitken

Daisy

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:26:11 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Daisy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:37:57 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Hi everyone
>> >
>> >I would like to make spring rolls ahead of time. What is the best way to
>> >have a successful end result.
>> >Should I stuff/roll them and pre deep fry them only partially and freeze
>> >then finish deep frying before serving? Deep fry them fully and freeze
>> >then for a reheat that evening in a hot oven?
>> >any ideas?
>> >thanks in advance
>> >Chris
>> >

>> I make mini spring rolls and freeze them. I guess you could make the
>> larger ones the same. I simply cook and cool the filling - whatever
>> I am using - and then assemble the rolls. I put them on a tray in
>> the freezer separately and when they are frozen, either lay them out
>> in rows in freezer trays or put them into plastic bags, and tie them
>> down.
>>
>> They freeze fine like this. Maybe others can advise if the fillings
>> can also be frozen uncooked. But mine turn out okay. I usually
>> thaw them out sufficiently to shallow fry them in oil.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

>In my opinion these need to be fried just before serving. I have made them
>the day before and kept them refrigerated, then out 1 hour to warm to room
>temp before frying. I have not tried freezing.

Believe me, they freeze very very well. And I notice in one of our
larger butchery-***-frozen food outlets, that mini samosas and mini
spring rolls are available in the freezer section. They require
cooking. I don't know if the fillings in them are precooked or not -
I've never tried them. But the instructions say deep fry or shallow
fry.

Daisy

Steve & Chris Clark

I'm going with your idea Daisy.......although I have one
question.......Daisy do you allow them to defrost before deepfrying?....you
don't toss them in to the grease frozen do you?

I'll let you guys know next week.
Thanks again!
Chris

"Daisy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:26:11 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Daisy" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:37:57 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"

freeze

freeze

> >> I make mini spring rolls and freeze them. I guess you could make the
> >> larger ones the same. I simply cook and cool the filling - whatever
> >> I am using - and then assemble the rolls. I put them on a tray in
> >> the freezer separately and when they are frozen, either lay them out
> >> in rows in freezer trays or put them into plastic bags, and tie them
> >> down.
> >>
> >> They freeze fine like this. Maybe others can advise if the fillings
> >> can also be frozen uncooked. But mine turn out okay. I usually
> >> thaw them out sufficiently to shallow fry them in oil.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>

> >In my opinion these need to be fried just before serving. I have made

them
> >the day before and kept them refrigerated, then out 1 hour to warm to

room
> >temp before frying. I have not tried freezing.

> Believe me, they freeze very very well. And I notice in one of our
> larger butchery-***-frozen food outlets, that mini samosas and mini
> spring rolls are available in the freezer section. They require
> cooking. I don't know if the fillings in them are precooked or not -
> I've never tried them. But the instructions say deep fry or shallow
> fry.
>
> Daisy

---

How far ahead can you make these? Kris[_1_] General Cooking 25 17-07-2009 03:27 PM
Can I make this ahead of time? [email protected] General Cooking 22 01-11-2006 02:59 PM
make ahead breakfast Teri General Cooking 4 12-05-2006 01:42 AM
make ahead? cathy General Cooking 5 31-03-2006 06:26 AM
Make Ahead and Freeze Piewacket General Cooking 8 17-10-2005 03:15 AM