Janet Bostwick

Default sandwich help, please

How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--or a Grinder
sandwich? I'm looking for something to do with left over steak. My
attempts so far are not even near misses. A long time ago I can remember
having Grinders and they were prepared right behind the counter, I think
they tossed the meat, peppers, onions together until hot and then added some
cheese--maybe mozzarella. Is there some special seasoning? My attempts are
pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish. Any help appreciated.
Janet

SHIVER ME TIMBERS

> Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--

> My attempts are pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish.

I slow cook all of my beef with lots of liquid untill it practically
falls apart with a fork.

For steak I would use a frying pan on low with a pot lid covering the
meat and water and some seasoning to taste. When I can start to smell
it in my living room I know the water is basically gone and it is time
to see if it is falling apart or needs a bit more water and cooking
time. I usually use a little BBQ sauce with some soya sauce. At times I
will shred the steak and put on a bun as a sandwich.

I too am interested in ideas for the famous Philly cheese steak and
this month I picked up some shredded Mozza cheese.

My question to the group..... Is this the right type of cheese to use.
nancree

"> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--
> My attempts are pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish

----------------------
It will also taste better if you crisp the crust, as I wrote in another
entry.
1) Wet the crust of the roll by dipping your hand in running water, and
rubbing a lot of water all over the roll.
2) Put roll in toaster oven for 1 1/2 minutes--Roll will taste fresh,
and the crust will be nice and crispy to the touch.
Nancree

Janet Bostwick

"nancree" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>"> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--
>> My attempts are pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish

> ----------------------
> It will also taste better if you crisp the crust, as I wrote in another
> entry.
> 1) Wet the crust of the roll by dipping your hand in running water, and
> rubbing a lot of water all over the roll.
> 2) Put roll in toaster oven for 1 1/2 minutes--Roll will taste fresh,
> and the crust will be nice and crispy to the touch.
> Nancree

I agree, but I had a crisp crust. My mother always put rolls that she
wanted to refresh and crisp in a paper bag, sprinkled water on the bag and
put it in a low heat oven for about 5+ minutes. The bag dries, the roll
crumb freshens and the crust gets crisp.
Janet

jmcquown

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich

Any help appreciated.
> Janet

You want to slice the steak as thinly as possible in long strips (to fit the
bun). The cut of steak may make all the difference; I used to work at a
place that used small thin ribeye steaks for this purpose; no slicing was
necessary. They pan-fried them and then proceeded to do the veggies.

Saute chopped bell pepper with onion (cut into rings) in butter or olive oil
(or a combo thereof) until very tender. Place the steak on a buttered
hoagie bun or long french roll. Season with salt & pepper if needed. Place
the peppers and onions on top of the steak. Top with a couple of slices of
swiss cheese. Run this under the broiler until the cheese melts and the
bread is lightly toasted. *If* you have gravy or au jus, restaurants often
serve this alongside to dip the sandwich in.

Jill

The "technically correct" Philly cheesesteak cheese is Velveeta......
Stephanie in PA

Rich

"SHIVER ME TIMBERS" > wrote in message
>> Janet Bostwick > wrote:

>> How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--

>> My attempts are pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish.

> I slow cook all of my beef with lots of liquid untill it practically
> falls apart with a fork.
>
> For steak I would use a frying pan on low with a pot lid covering the
> meat and water and some seasoning to taste. When I can start to smell
> it in my living room I know the water is basically gone and it is time
> to see if it is falling apart or needs a bit more water and cooking
> time. I usually use a little BBQ sauce with some soya sauce. At times I
> will shred the steak and put on a bun as a sandwich.
>
> I too am interested in ideas for the famous Philly cheese steak and
> this month I picked up some shredded Mozza cheese.
>
> My question to the group..... Is this the right type of cheese to use.

NO! Authentic Philly cheese steak is made with Cheez Whiz. If you, like me,
prefer real cheese, Provolone is the best.

--Rich

OOPS---my bad--that's what I meant....sorry....Cheez Whiz it is!!!

SHIVER ME TIMBERS

> "> wrote:

> OOPS---my bad--that's what I meant....sorry....Cheez Whiz it is!!!

As usual.... Thanks to all in the group for their information and hints.

I've got two beef roasts in the freezer and with some of the leftovers
I'm gonna give a cheesesteak a try.

Yummy Yum Yum
Nancy Young

"SHIVER ME TIMBERS" > wrote in message
>> "> wrote:

>> OOPS---my bad--that's what I meant....sorry....Cheez Whiz it is!!!

> As usual.... Thanks to all in the group for their information and hints.
>
> I've got two beef roasts in the freezer and with some of the leftovers
> I'm gonna give a cheesesteak a try.
>
> Yummy Yum Yum

I always add jalapeno slices from a jar.

nancy

Bill

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:59:50 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--or a Grinder
>sandwich? I'm looking for something to do with left over steak. My
>attempts so far are not even near misses. A long time ago I can remember
>having Grinders and they were prepared right behind the counter, I think
>they tossed the meat, peppers, onions together until hot and then added some
>cheese--maybe mozzarella. Is there some special seasoning? My attempts are
>pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish. Any help appreciated.
>Janet

these guys claim to be the original cheesesteak maker's of
Philadelphia, check out their recipe:

http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm

Bill

Bill

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:59:50 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--or a Grinder
>sandwich? I'm looking for something to do with left over steak. My
>attempts so far are not even near misses. A long time ago I can remember
>having Grinders and they were prepared right behind the counter, I think
>they tossed the meat, peppers, onions together until hot and then added some
>cheese--maybe mozzarella. Is there some special seasoning? My attempts are
>pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish. Any help appreciated.
>Janet

you can call in an order and have it FEDEXed to your doorstep the next
day...look at it:

jmcquown

Bill wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:59:50 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>
>> How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--or a
>> Grinder sandwich? I'm looking for something to do with left over
>> steak. My attempts so far are not even near misses. A long time
>> ago I can remember having Grinders and they were prepared right
>> behind the counter, I think they tossed the meat, peppers, onions
>> together until hot and then added some cheese--maybe mozzarella. Is
>> there some special seasoning? My attempts are pretty blah.
>> Tasteless and dryish. Any help appreciated.
>> Janet
>>

> you can call in an order and have it FEDEXed to your doorstep the next
> day...look at it:

LOL That's funny. A co-worker from Pittsburgh had a sandwich FedX'd to
Memphis. I think it was a sausage sandwich of some kind with french fries
on top. She didn't pack it in dry ice or a cooler and even FedX can't
deliver a sandwich still HOT to you. Hell, barely any of the delivery
places locally can manage that

Jill

Janet Bostwick

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--or a Grinder
> sandwich? I'm looking for something to do with left over steak. My
> attempts so far are not even near misses. A long time ago I can remember
> having Grinders and they were prepared right behind the counter, I think
> they tossed the meat, peppers, onions together until hot and then added
> some cheese--maybe mozzarella. Is there some special seasoning? My
> attempts are pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish. Any help appreciated.
> Janet

Thanks everyone for your help. I now know what to do. I'd forgotten about
the mushrooms in the Grinder. I've decided the next time I make them I'll
use the Costco ciabatta rolls. They are crusty outside and tender crumb
inside. I'll even give the Cheez Whiz a try. I also think I was trying to
do the fillings with too little oil. I'm really excited about this--can't
wait to try again. Thanks again. Thanks Bill for the direction to the
recipe.
Janet

Shawn Hearn

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> The "technically correct" Philly cheesesteak cheese is Velveeta......
> Stephanie in PA

Since when? I am a born and raised Philadelphian and I make a pretty
good Philly cheese steak, but I never heard this "technically correct"
Velveeta rule. The pointer to the Pat's cheese steak recipe that was
posted here is quite good.

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
SHIVER ME TIMBERS > wrote:

> > Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> > How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--

> > My attempts are pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish.

> I slow cook all of my beef with lots of liquid untill it practically
> falls apart with a fork.
>
> For steak I would use a frying pan on low with a pot lid covering the
> meat and water and some seasoning to taste. When I can start to smell
> it in my living room I know the water is basically gone and it is time
> to see if it is falling apart or needs a bit more water and cooking
> time. I usually use a little BBQ sauce with some soya sauce. At times I
> will shred the steak and put on a bun as a sandwich.
>
> I too am interested in ideas for the famous Philly cheese steak and
> this month I picked up some shredded Mozza cheese.
>
> My question to the group..... Is this the right type of cheese to use.

Mozzarella cheese is typically not used on a Philly cheese steak, but I
am sure the result would be tasty anyway. I am a born and raised
Philadelphia and I have made plenty of authentic Philly cheese steaks.

The recipe at http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm is as authentic
as it gets because Pat's is the home of the Philly cheese steak. This is
the recipe that was referenced earlier in this thread and I can assure
you all that this is as authentic as authentic gets.
Stan Horwitz

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> OOPS---my bad--that's what I meant....sorry....Cheez Whiz it is!!!

Ditch the Cheez Whiz. Its horrible stuff. American or provolone cheese
is much better and it is perfectly authentic on a Philly cheese steak.
Stan Horwitz

In article .com>,
"nancree" > wrote:

> "> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> > How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--
> > My attempts are pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish

> ----------------------
> It will also taste better if you crisp the crust, as I wrote in another
> entry.
> 1) Wet the crust of the roll by dipping your hand in running water, and
> rubbing a lot of water all over the roll.
> 2) Put roll in toaster oven for 1 1/2 minutes--Roll will taste fresh,
> and the crust will be nice and crispy to the touch.

I like it that way, but most Philadelphians would balk.
jmcquown

Shawn Hearn wrote:
> In article .com>,
> " > wrote:
>
>> The "technically correct" Philly cheesesteak cheese is Velveeta......
>> Stephanie in PA

> Since when? I am a born and raised Philadelphian and I make a pretty
> good Philly cheese steak, but I never heard this "technically correct"
> Velveeta rule. The pointer to the Pat's cheese steak recipe that was
> posted here is quite good.

Maybe I'm glad I'm not in Philly. I prefer Swiss or Provolone to Velveeta
or Cheez-Whiz. I'm not a food snob; the sandwich just tastes better with
real cheese, not cheese-food. At least the recipe says to use ribeye or eye
of round steak. That's a nice consolation

Jill

George

Bill wrote:

> these guys claim to be the original cheesesteak maker's of
> Philadelphia, check out their recipe:
>
> http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm
>
> Bill

There are 2 "original" Philly cheesesteak makers who are famous
competitors...

http://www.genosteaks.com/

Day Dreamer

>OOPS---my bad--that's what I
> meant....sorry....Cheez Whiz it is!!!

>Ditch the Cheez Whiz. Its horrible stuff.
> American or provolone cheese is much better
> and it is perfectly authentic on a Philly cheese
> steak.

Ok, I`ll probably get flamed and banished for saying this, but I
actually like Cheez Whiz. Not as much on a cheesesteak, but I like
french fries dipped in hot melted Cheez Whiz. Oh, and I live right
outside of Philly and I have eaten many, many cheesesteaks in my life.
My sister turned me on to the concept of bacon on a cheesesteak, which I
would have never thought of and turned out to be very good.

Bill

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:59:50 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--or a Grinder
>sandwich? I'm looking for something to do with left over steak. My
>attempts so far are not even near misses. A long time ago I can remember
>having Grinders and they were prepared right behind the counter, I think
>they tossed the meat, peppers, onions together until hot and then added some
>cheese--maybe mozzarella. Is there some special seasoning? My attempts are
>pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish. Any help appreciated.
>Janet

Ok Janet, you've gotten all this professional advice to make your
authentic Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches...have you made them yet?
How were they?

Bill

Janet Bostwick

"Bill" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:59:50 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>
>>How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--or a Grinder
>>sandwich? I'm looking for something to do with left over steak. My
>>attempts so far are not even near misses. A long time ago I can remember
>>having Grinders and they were prepared right behind the counter, I think
>>they tossed the meat, peppers, onions together until hot and then added
>>some
>>cheese--maybe mozzarella. Is there some special seasoning? My attempts
>>are
>>pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish. Any help appreciated.
>>Janet

> Ok Janet, you've gotten all this professional advice to make your
> authentic Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches...have you made them yet?
> How were they?
>
> Bill

Haven't made them yet. Will have to wait until next week and next shopping
trip. I'll let you know.
Thanks
Janet

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Shawn Hearn wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> > " > wrote:
> >
> >> The "technically correct" Philly cheesesteak cheese is Velveeta......
> >> Stephanie in PA

> > Since when? I am a born and raised Philadelphian and I make a pretty
> > good Philly cheese steak, but I never heard this "technically correct"
> > Velveeta rule. The pointer to the Pat's cheese steak recipe that was
> > posted here is quite good.

> Maybe I'm glad I'm not in Philly. I prefer Swiss or Provolone to Velveeta
> or Cheez-Whiz. I'm not a food snob; the sandwich just tastes better with
> real cheese, not cheese-food. At least the recipe says to use ribeye or eye
> of round steak. That's a nice consolation

Jill, no problem. Provolone cheese is perfectly acceptable on a true
Philly cheese steak sandwich. Swiss cheese is not though.
Janet Bostwick

"Bill" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:59:50 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>
>>How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--or a Grinder
>>sandwich? I'm looking for something to do with left over steak. My
>>attempts so far are not even near misses. A long time ago I can remember
>>having Grinders and they were prepared right behind the counter, I think
>>they tossed the meat, peppers, onions together until hot and then added
>>some
>>cheese--maybe mozzarella. Is there some special seasoning? My attempts
>>are
>>pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish. Any help appreciated.
>>Janet

> Ok Janet, you've gotten all this professional advice to make your
> authentic Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches...have you made them yet?
> How were they?
>
> Bill

I just had to go out and get the required steak and cheez Whiz to make these
sandwiches because I couldn't wait to try this recipe. Fabulous. All of
the dry and tasteless is gone. There are two things I will change the next
time I make the recipe. I only had red bell peppers and the sandwich needs
some green pepper to balance the flavors. I will try Provolone next time.
The Cheez Whiz made the sandwich sweeter than I really liked. Otherwise, a
great success. Thanks everyone.
Janet

Bill

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:01:59 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"Bill" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:59:50 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>How do you go about making a Philly cheese steak sandwich--or a Grinder
>>>sandwich? I'm looking for something to do with left over steak. My
>>>attempts so far are not even near misses. A long time ago I can remember
>>>having Grinders and they were prepared right behind the counter, I think
>>>they tossed the meat, peppers, onions together until hot and then added
>>>some
>>>cheese--maybe mozzarella. Is there some special seasoning? My attempts
>>>are
>>>pretty blah. Tasteless and dryish. Any help appreciated.
>>>Janet

>> Ok Janet, you've gotten all this professional advice to make your
>> authentic Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches...have you made them yet?
>> How were they?
>>
>> Bill
>>

>I just had to go out and get the required steak and cheez Whiz to make these
>sandwiches because I couldn't wait to try this recipe. Fabulous. All of
>the dry and tasteless is gone. There are two things I will change the next
>time I make the recipe. I only had red bell peppers and the sandwich needs
>some green pepper to balance the flavors. I will try Provolone next time.
>The Cheez Whiz made the sandwich sweeter than I really liked. Otherwise, a
>great success. Thanks everyone.
>Janet

Great! I am glad they turned out so good! Now, I need to gather the
ingredients and make some at home for myself. Then again, it would be
easier just to telephone Philadelphia and have them FedEx'ed to my
front door overnight! :-)

Bill