elaine

Default help with porcini mushrooms

I'm making the wild mushroom soup that Sheldon posted a few days back. But
I bought fresh porcini mushrooms (stupidly thought they'd be cheaper than
the dried ones - which they weren't!!) They have a completely different
texture than the other mushrooms that I'm adding to the soup. Should I soak
them, chop and just add at the end or what the heck should I be doing with
them? Can't seem to find the answer when I google, since all the recipes
say dried which of course I probably should have bought but didn't.

Help please.

Elaine

Kate B

"elaine" > wrote in message
> I'm making the wild mushroom soup that Sheldon posted a few days back.

But
> I bought fresh porcini mushrooms (stupidly thought they'd be cheaper than
> the dried ones - which they weren't!!) They have a completely different
> texture than the other mushrooms that I'm adding to the soup. Should I

soak
> them, chop and just add at the end or what the heck should I be doing with
> them? Can't seem to find the answer when I google, since all the recipes
> say dried which of course I probably should have bought but didn't.
>
> Help please.
>
> Elaine

You found fresh porcini mushrooms in the spring?? I've never seen them
available outside of the summer and autumn. Lucky you!! Do not soak fresh
porcini. Gently wipe off any dirt. Sometimes the larger older ones have a
mushy sponge underneath the cap (and sometimes critters hide under the cap
so it's best to check especially with the larger ones). Just scrape that
off and use just the cap and stem. I would slice them and saute them in
butter or olive oil for about 5 to 10 minutes. Season as needed. These
would *never* make it in any soup because I am fairly certain I couldn't
wait to eat them. They pair nicely with garlic and/or shallots. My
favorite way to eat them is grilled, whole with garlic and olive oil.

Enjoy!

Kate

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:17:19 -0500, "elaine" >
wrote:

>I'm making the wild mushroom soup that Sheldon posted a few days back. But
>I bought fresh porcini mushrooms (stupidly thought they'd be cheaper than
>the dried ones - which they weren't!!) They have a completely different
>texture than the other mushrooms that I'm adding to the soup. Should I soak
>them, chop and just add at the end or what the heck should I be doing with
>them? Can't seem to find the answer when I google, since all the recipes
>say dried which of course I probably should have bought but didn't.

Keep them separate. Slice them and saute in butter and/or good OO with
S&P like regular mushrooms, and use them as a topping on the soup.
That way people will get to taste them separately if they want to.

Or saute as above with a little garlic and toss them with some good
pasta. Don't be chintzy with the noodles. Use the best you can find or
make.

Dried porcini are on of the greatest bargains there are, at ca 50
USD/lb. I can't imagine gathering enough to dry to 1 lb for anything
like that.

The fresh ones at this time of year probably come from South Africa.

They may come up in New York state in a few weeks, or they may not. I
will get some if they show up.

End of rant

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Accordions don't play 'Lady of Spain.' People play 'Lady of Spain."