Kevin & Amanda

Default Menu and recipe questions

Hello Everyone: All of you have some great recipes and cooking
suggestions. I want to ask those of you who cook the meals for more
than one person how you handle the meal making and recipes when at least
one of the people eating is on a special diet ( low salt or low fat or
diabetic ETC )? Do any of you have any recipes for diabetics that
people who are not diabetic will also eat? I have some internet
friends who are diabetic and I also have an internet friend who is a
gourmet cook. The gourmet cook told me that he would try to come up
with some recipes but so far he only has one dessert recipe. He said
that it is hard to come up with recipes that diabetics not only can have
but will want to have because they taste good. Thank you. Have a
nice night. Amanda

Julia Altshuler

Saying that you need recipes for a diabetic doesn't give us much useful
information. There's enormous variation in what's appropriate from one
diabetic to the next. Many (not all) diabetics can eat any food as long
as they get the right variety and measured amounts. So you could make a
wildly sugary rich dessert and serve whole bowls full to the rest of the
family while giving only a spoonful to the diabetic.

Next you have to supply information on what the folks who aren't on the
special diet like to eat. I wouldn't say that special food for
diabetics is all that unpalateable. A broiled steak, steamed broccoli,
brown rice and some perfect strawberries makes a perfectly good meal
that almost anyone on all sorts of diets can eat. I suppose there's
someone who would hate it, but in general, you prepare it without salt
and have salt shakers on the table for those who like it. Someone
watching their fat intake has only a small portion of the steak. The
strawberries might have to much sugar so those watching sugar intake
measure that.

I'm in the habit of cooking for special diets any time I have guests
just as a matter of convenience and even if no one is on a special diet.
Get in the habit of serving sauces and dressings on the side. That
includes the whipped cream or sabayon sauce for the fresh fruit for
dessert. Never use salt in the kitchen but have it available on the
table. For salads, serve lettuce in one bowl and all the extras like
avocado, grated carrots and cabbage and sliced tomatoes on a platter on
the side. I try to avoid having only one item on the table at a time.
For example, I serve salad together with soup. That way, if someone
wants both, they can have both. If someone can have only one and not
the other, they're not stuck looking at an empty plate while others are
eating.

--Lia

Kevin & Amanda wrote:
> Hello Everyone: All of you have some great recipes and cooking
> suggestions. I want to ask those of you who cook the meals for more
> than one person how you handle the meal making and recipes when at least
> one of the people eating is on a special diet ( low salt or low fat or
> diabetic ETC )? Do any of you have any recipes for diabetics that
> people who are not diabetic will also eat? I have some internet
> friends who are diabetic and I also have an internet friend who is a
> gourmet cook. The gourmet cook told me that he would try to come up
> with some recipes but so far he only has one dessert recipe. He said
> that it is hard to come up with recipes that diabetics not only can have
> but will want to have because they taste good. Thank you. Have a
> nice night. Amanda

Julia Altshuler

Kevin & Amanda wrote:
> Hello Everyone: All of you have some great recipes and cooking
> suggestions. I want to ask those of you who cook the meals for more
> than one person how you handle the meal making and recipes when at least
> one of the people eating is on a special diet ( low salt or low fat or
> diabetic ETC )? Do any of you have any recipes for diabetics that
> people who are not diabetic will also eat? I have some internet
> friends who are diabetic and I also have an internet friend who is a
> gourmet cook. The gourmet cook told me that he would try to come up
> with some recipes but so far he only has one dessert recipe. He said
> that it is hard to come up with recipes that diabetics not only can have
> but will want to have because they taste good. Thank you. Have a
> nice night. Amanda

caroline

Julia Altshuler > wrote in message news:<m2r9c.20355$w54.144969@attbi_s01>...
> Saying that you need recipes for a diabetic doesn't give us much useful
> information. There's enormous variation in what's appropriate from one
> diabetic to the next. Many (not all) diabetics can eat any food as long
> as they get the right variety and measured amounts. So you could make a
> wildly sugary rich dessert and serve whole bowls full to the rest of the
> family while giving only a spoonful to the diabetic.
>

> Next you have to supply information on what the folks who aren't on the
> special diet like to eat. I wouldn't say that special food for
> diabetics is all that unpalateable. A broiled steak, steamed broccoli,
> brown rice and some perfect strawberries makes a perfectly good meal
> that almost anyone on all sorts of diets can eat. I suppose there's
> someone who would hate it, but in general, you prepare it without salt
> and have salt shakers on the table for those who like it. Someone
> watching their fat intake has only a small portion of the steak. The
> strawberries might have to much sugar so those watching sugar intake
> measure that.
>

> I'm in the habit of cooking for special diets any time I have guests
> just as a matter of convenience and even if no one is on a special diet.
> Get in the habit of serving sauces and dressings on the side. That
> includes the whipped cream or sabayon sauce for the fresh fruit for
> dessert. Never use salt in the kitchen but have it available on the
> table. For salads, serve lettuce in one bowl and all the extras like
> avocado, grated carrots and cabbage and sliced tomatoes on a platter on
> the side. I try to avoid having only one item on the table at a time.
> For example, I serve salad together with soup. That way, if someone
> wants both, they can have both. If someone can have only one and not
> the other, they're not stuck looking at an empty plate while others are
> eating.
>
> --Lia
>

> Kevin & Amanda wrote:
> > Hello Everyone: All of you have some great recipes and cooking
> > suggestions. I want to ask those of you who cook the meals for more
> > than one person how you handle the meal making and recipes when at least
> > one of the people eating is on a special diet ( low salt or low fat or
> > diabetic ETC )? Do any of you have any recipes for diabetics that
> > people who are not diabetic will also eat? I have some internet
> > friends who are diabetic and I also have an internet friend who is a
> > gourmet cook. The gourmet cook told me that he would try to come up
> > with some recipes but so far he only has one dessert recipe. He said
> > that it is hard to come up with recipes that diabetics not only can have
> > but will want to have because they taste good. Thank you. Have a
> > nice night. Amanda

Hallo Amanda.
The previous poster has some exellent suggestions. I will make one or
two more based on cooking for my mother-in-law who was diabetic.
I had to minimise use of any vegetable with a high sugar content, like
carrots and peas. But she enjoyed stews, "pot-au-feu" here in France.
Using really lean beef, or lamb, with onion, mushrooms, red/green
peppers (capsicum,) sweet not hot, tomatoes, celery, green beans
(haricot vert), courgettes (zucchini), and aubergines. The trick is to
start with a little sunflower or soya oil and the onion, using a heavy
saucepan. Sautee the onion till soft then add meat cut into cubes and
brown it over fast heat. When sealed reduce heat and add the rest of
the ingredients, but tomatoes first for the liquid. Keeping the lid on
and heat low. Let everything cook in its own juices. Season with
herbs, like thyme or oregano, a bay leaf, and a cap full of Balsamic
vinegar, (the screwtop cap) and pepper. Salt can be added at table as
Lia suggested. Any of our friends love these stews, especially in the
Winter. Serve them with starch reduced rice seasoned with safron or a
herb, cooked in a chicken stock or vegetable stock. It is easy to make
your own and freeze and they are not fatty.
Another good meat meat is Rabbit, very lean meat, and can be cooked in
the same way. Stir-fry is another good way of cooking healthy dishes;
slivers of chicken breast with julienne vegetables.
Hope this is of help
caroline.
caroline

> [...]

saucepan. Sautee the onion till soft then add meat cut into cubes and
brown it over fast heat. When sealed reduce heat and add the rest of
the ingredients, but tomatoes first for the liquid. Keeping the lid on
and heat low. Let everything cook in its own juices. Season with
herbs, like thyme or oregano, a bay leaf, and a cap full of Balsamic
vinegar, (the screwtop cap) and pepper. Salt can be added at table as
Lia suggested. Any of our friends love these stews, especially in the
Winter. Serve them with starch reduced rice seasoned with safron or a
herb, cooked in a chicken stock or vegetable stock. It is easy to make
your own and freeze and they are not fatty.
Another good meat meat is Rabbit, very lean meat, and can be cooked in
the same way. Stir-fry is another good way of cooking healthy dishes;
slivers of chicken breast with julienne vegetables.

Kswck

"Kevin & Amanda" > wrote in message
> Hello Everyone: All of you have some great recipes and cooking
> suggestions. I want to ask those of you who cook the meals for more
> than one person how you handle the meal making and recipes when at least
> one of the people eating is on a special diet ( low salt or low fat or
> diabetic ETC )? Do any of you have any recipes for diabetics that
> people who are not diabetic will also eat? I have some internet
> friends who are diabetic and I also have an internet friend who is a
> gourmet cook. The gourmet cook told me that he would try to come up
> with some recipes but so far he only has one dessert recipe. He said
> that it is hard to come up with recipes that diabetics not only can have
> but will want to have because they taste good. Thank you. Have a
> nice night. Amanda

I'm not going to field desserts specifically as I don't make/eat dessert.
But: Cooking for a diabetic is not exactly informative. Many diabetics can
eat an awful lot of (regular) foods, but in moderation. It may be helpful to
specify if there are any other health problems in addition to the diabetes.
It would also be helpful to add the type of diabetes the person(s) has/have.
Are they insulin dependent?
Because diabetes is a disease whose cause is really unknown, there are many
things that can be 'blamed' on it. For example, a relative of mine has
diabetes-mild-and he blames it on many years of drinking hard booze-the
alcohol turning into sugar and poisoning the body(he also has a history of
it in his family). Is he correct? Who knows.
This drivvel is listed here for a reason: are your diabetic friends allowed
to consume alcohol(wine in a sauce for example)? If not, you have to adjust
any sauces accordingly. DON'T substitute non-alcoholic wine-it is nasty.
You may wish to get into the habit of serving dressings, sauces, etc, on the
side. You may wish to give the person a list of ingredients when serving
something to them and letting them decide.
I don't cook with sugar or salt(except for fresh dressings-leaving either
out ruins it usually). Both are available on the table however.
Best advise is to get an idea as to what restrictions the people have and
adjust accordingly.
There are numerous websites that reccommend substitutes for something that a
person cannot have.

Kswck