zxcvbob

Default ...How Much is Gas in your Area...? ? ?

fifty five wrote:
> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>
> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
>
> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?

$2 per gallon here (actually, it's going up and down between $1.98 and
$2.05.)

I'm planning a several thousand mile drive this summer with DD. Going
to visit relatives in Texas, then to Southern Colorado for a couple of
days, then Bryce Canyon/North Rim of Grand Canyon/Zion Nat'l Park area,
then Yellowstone, then back home to Minnesota. If gas prices go much
higher I may have to scale the trip back a little.

Best regards,
Bob
Sheldon

zxcvbob wrote:
> fifty five wrote:
> > Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
> >
> > So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
> >
> > Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?
> >

> $2 per gallon here (actually, it's going up and down between $1.98

and
> $2.05.)
>
> I'm planning a several thousand mile drive this summer with DD.

Going
> to visit relatives in Texas, then to Southern Colorado for a couple

of
> days, then Bryce Canyon/North Rim of Grand Canyon/Zion Nat'l Park

area,
> then Yellowstone, then back home to Minnesota. If gas prices go much

> higher I may have to scale the trip back a little.

You're talking some 6,000 miles... fuel cost would depend on your
vehicle's gas mileage... sometimes it's less expensive to leave your
gas guzzler at home and to rent a miserly vehicle, and you won't put
all those miles on your own vehicle, plus those kind of trips are often
really hard mileage journeys... run into a bit of hail or a quickie
sand storm and you'll wish it were a rental... been there (many times),
done that (many times), I know precisely what I'm talking about.

Sheldon

zxcvbob

Sheldon wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>fifty five wrote:
>>
>>>Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>>>
>>>So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
>>>
>>>Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?
>>>

>>$2 per gallon here (actually, it's going up and down between $1.98

> and
>
>>$2.05.)
>>
>>I'm planning a several thousand mile drive this summer with DD.

> Going
>
>>to visit relatives in Texas, then to Southern Colorado for a couple

> of
>
>>days, then Bryce Canyon/North Rim of Grand Canyon/Zion Nat'l Park

> area,
>
>>then Yellowstone, then back home to Minnesota. If gas prices go much

>>higher I may have to scale the trip back a little.

> You're talking some 6,000 miles... fuel cost would depend on your
> vehicle's gas mileage... sometimes it's less expensive to leave your
> gas guzzler at home and to rent a miserly vehicle, and you won't put
> all those miles on your own vehicle, plus those kind of trips are often
> really hard mileage journeys... run into a bit of hail or a quickie
> sand storm and you'll wish it were a rental... been there (many times),
> done that (many times), I know precisely what I'm talking about.
>
> Sheldon

I figure I'll take the Buick; it looks like a gas guzzler, but it gets
almost 30 miles per gallon on long trips, and it's comfortable to drive.
And I think the whole trip is "only" 4500 miles. (The round trip to
Houston is about 2400 miles.)

Also, DD will have her driving permit by then but not her license. I
want to look into whether she can legally drive in other states or not;
I'm pretty sure any rental car agreement would not let her drive. Even
if the permit is only good in MN, there's several hours of driving that
she could do at the beginning and end of the trip.

Depending on the price of gas and the price of discount plane tickets,
we might fly to Houston for a few days and then fly back to MN. Then
drive to Yellowstone for a week and forget about the Utah part.

Some day I want to fly out to Las Vegas or Denver and rent a Jeep
Cherokee for a week and go prowling around the badlands or high country
on the 4WD roads. You definately don't want to take your own car on
some of those roads! (It's kind of funny to go into trip planning
software and tell it you want to go from Aspen Colorado to Crested
Butte. Some of the local roads it will try to send you down over the
Elk Mountains are barely passible by horse.)

Best regards,
Bob
MareCat

"fifty five" > wrote in message
> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>
> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???

~$1.75 for Regular Unleaded, here in the Houston area.

> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?

Yeah--to the airport, as we'll be traveling by air.

Mary--owns a Prius

Dave Smith

zxcvbob wrote:

> I figure I'll take the Buick; it looks like a gas guzzler, but it gets
> almost 30 miles per gallon on long trips, and it's comfortable to drive.
> And I think the whole trip is "only" 4500 miles. (The round trip to
> Houston is about 2400 miles.)

I bought my mother's 97 Buick last fall when she had to give up her licence.
That car gets to 35 mpg.

Steve Knight

I get a kick out of the complaining about gas prices. the news really gets
people worked up. with the rate of inflation gas prices are at a record low. it
should be way more money then it is.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Mar 2005 09:28:38p, Steve Knight wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I get a kick out of the complaining about gas prices. the news really
> gets people worked up. with the rate of inflation gas prices are at a
> record low. it should be way more money then it is.

Be that as it may, if you drive a long distance to work, it takes a big bite
out of the budget. I paid 1.99/gal tonight here in Phoenix, probably the
lowest price in the area. I've seen many stations at 2.09 and above.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dee Randall

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I figure I'll take the Buick; it looks like a gas guzzler, but it gets
>> almost 30 miles per gallon on long trips, and it's comfortable to drive.
>> And I think the whole trip is "only" 4500 miles. (The round trip to
>> Houston is about 2400 miles.)

> I bought my mother's 97 Buick last fall when she had to give up her
> licence.
> That car gets to 35 mpg.

98 Buick here - 30-36 mpg - good ride
dee

This is a good time to hang around the gas station
and watch the owners weep
as they put 40 gallons into their behemoth SUVs.

( unfortunately, its their demand that pushes up prices for everyone )

<rj>

Bob Westcott

In Calgary - 85.9 c/litre in CDN $ = $3.24CDN/US gallon = $2.41 USD/gallon

Not as bad as I thought in comparison to some of the US prices I see quoted.

I have been delibertly using the vehicle with the better gas mileage all
winter, no point in wasting gas.

Bob

"fifty five" > wrote in message
> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>
> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
>
> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "fifty five" > said:

> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.

I don't mind the price of gas, it's the added taxes that
hurt.

> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???

It just bounced back up to $2.01 for the cheap stuff.

> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?

Nope. We've got a couple of camping trips planned for the summer
but they're in-state. That's pretty normal though -- both of our
families live either here in WA or on East coast, so we either take
a short drive or fly, as the case may be. Which is fine because I
don't like long car trips...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is

85 cents per litre in Vancouver, B.C. Canada Canadian cents that is.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:59:26 -0600, "FireAndIce"
> wrote:

>"fifty five" > wrote in message
>> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>>
>> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
>>
>> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?
>>

>$1.79 reg unleaded in north Alabama.

Steve Knight

>Be that as it may, if you drive a long distance to work, it takes a big bite
>out of the budget. I paid 1.99/gal tonight here in Phoenix, probably the
>lowest price in the area. I've seen many stations at 2.09 and above.

well then don't do it. from all of the reports I see there is no real long term
benefit. it just increases stress costs a lot causes Americans to be lazy and
increases pollution.
myself I commute on my bike 20 miles a day 5 days a week rain or shine.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
David Chapman

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:15:04 -0800, fifty five > wrote:
> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>
> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???

In Victoria, B.C. western Canada I pay 59.9 cents per litre for vehicle
propane.

> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?

Yes. Hi Ho, Hi Ho. It's off to work I go... And maybe Saskatchewan...

On Topic to appease r.f.c police:

Anybody have any experience/recommendations for cooking manicotti stuffed
with spinach, feta, tofu and seansonings on the exhaust manifolds of a
Ford 351 Windsor (I think) running on propane?

Any recommendations as to what the seasonings for the above project
should be?

Thanks,

--
David Chapman | "tar is not a plaything"

Sandi

Bob Westcott wrote:
> In Calgary - 85.9 c/litre in CDN $ = $3.24CDN/US gallon = $2.41

USD/gallon

> Not as bad as I thought in comparison to some of the US prices I see

quoted.

> I have been delibertly using the vehicle with the better gas mileage

all
> winter, no point in wasting gas.
>
> Bob

$3.08 US a gallon when you work the conversion. (18.5 L/dollar) It's 57
Lempira a gallon in Honduras. Makes me glad I don't own a car.

Sandi

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:32:48 -0600, duke > wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:17:40 -0500, Alan Figgatt > wrote:
>
>> This is getting way OT for these groups, but the core truth is that
>>allowing off-shore drilling is not going to make any difference to the
>>price at your pump. The amount of oil we could get from ANWAR or more
>>off-shore rigs is a relative drop in the bucket compared to daily US and
>>world consumption of oil. Oil is an international commodity, the price
>>the US pays for oil is set by and large by the world wide demand. And
>>world wide demand is up because of booming economies, namely China. More
>>oil produced in the US will help the trade balance, but not the price we
>>pay at the pump.

>Gasoline is gasoline. We have three choices:
>
>1. More drilling in the continental US and Alaska.
>2. Invade the Middle East.
>3. Pay the price.
>
>It's going to be interesting to see if the US populace willingly pays $5 at the
>pump as good little "pc" people or screams for "more" ME oil.

You left out #4; Small fuel-efficient cars.

( naaah...that'd be UnAmerican )

<rj>
T 35

No i'm sorry to say that I will not going any where this spring or
summer. Unless the gas prices go down a lot. This is a tragedy. The
government would let these gas prices get so high. The government could
lower or even drop the taxes on the gas. I just can't believe that the
government would even think about putting taxes on something that people
need to live on. We need gas to heat our homes and to drive to work.
btw, If we did not work we could not support our families or our
government. If we do not work uncle Sam gets no taxes. People all across
the nation should have a sit down. Every one stay home for a week. That
will wake the oil companies up along with the government. And yes
America it can be done. Think about it. If every one stayed home for a
week not one person would earn a single dollar. nor would the government
or the oil companies. And it can be done if the nation would stick
together and do it.. Thank you.

zxcvbob

Bob (this one) wrote:
> [...]
>>> world wide demand. And world wide demand is up because of booming
>>> economies, namely China. More oil produced in the US will help the
>>> trade balance, but not the price we pay at the pump.

>> Gasoline is gasoline. We have three choices:
>>
>> 1. More drilling in the continental US and Alaska.
>> 2. Invade the Middle East.
>> 3. Pay the price.

> Actually, it's not just the supply that's the problem. It's also
> refining capacity. We haven't built a new refinery in the US in nearly
> three decades. The ones we have are essentially working at full
> capacity. The technology is older than what's being done in developing
> countries where the newest, more efficient ways are being built. But oil
> is being used unwisely around the world for things that other fuels
> could be used for. Generating electricity being the biggest.
>
>> It's going to be interesting to see if the US populace willingly pays
>> $5 at the
>> pump as good little "pc" people or screams for "more" ME oil.
>>
>>> I doubt that we will see $5 a gallon in 3 years, because if oil gets
>>> that expensive that fast, it triggers a recession which in turn
>>> lowers the demand for oil. But the long term trend (5 to 10 years)
>>> for gasoline price is up. Supply and demand still rules.

>> $5 a gallon is all the rage of the talk circuits right now.

> In the 1970's, I helped write about "The Impending Energy Crisis" (a
> series of energy forecasts) while working for a company that was working
> on nuclear and alternative energy sources. Many ideas were proposed
> that, at the time, were economically infeasible. As the cost of energy
> rises and petroleum stock is being used for plastic-making, and other
> industrial procedures, these alternatives become more attractive. Things
> like coal gasification, tidal power, geothermal, hydro, wind and others.
> There were many other interesting ones proposed that wouldn't fly today,
> but could be significant. Floating nukes on huge barges anchored
> offshore. All the cooling water you could want right there. Deep-mine or
> deep-water temperature differential generation where the temperature
> differences between two (or more) areas can be used to generate
> electricity. Solar panels in geosynchronous orbit microwaving power down
> to the earth's surface to giant antennae.
>
> Using alternate power sources largely reverses trends of the past
> century of concentrating energy production into small, centralized areas
> and spreads it out so it becomes much more localized. Another major
> issue is our national power grid. It's mostly old and tired, cobbled
> together from smaller grids designed for local conditions. The engineers
> who have pulled it together have done a good job with what they had to
> work with, but it's a new era that demands a different, more distributed
> system with newer controls.
>
> I paid $1.939 yesterday. Same station today was $1.999 today.

There's a book I read back in the late 70's called something like
_Energy for Tomorrow, an Alternative Solution_ (that's not the actual
title, otherwise I would be able to find it now on Amazon.) It had a
bunch of interesting energy sources. One that I liked was damming up
some strait over in the middle east that was the only inlet to a narrow
bay and building a hydroelectric plant. Even though the dam would be
miles long, building it would be easy because the pressure would be the
same on both sides initially. Once it was complete, evaporation would
cause the lake level to drop to the point where you could begin
producing power. Now here's the cool part: The sea water in the lake
would become more and more concentrated until the minerals started
precipitating out. The salinitiy would not be constant in the lake, it
would have a gradient because some new sea water was coming in at the
dam. So different minerals (like gold, silver, magnesium, etc.) would
precipitate out in differnt places and could be mined economically.

The most interesting new energy development I've seen is the
organic-waste-to-oil conversion plant in Carthage, Missouri. It
converts turkey guts and feather into light sweet crude oil. The only
reason the the plant is not profitable is they have to buy the turkey
waste at a kind of high price (it is used in pet food and protein
supplements for livestock feed.) The process they use could be used to
destroy old tires, pesticide waste, mad cows, or municipal sewage.
Neither the enviromental nuts nor the Republican hawks have grasped the
significance of this -- If we convert waste to oil rather than pump new
oil out of the ground, the carbon gets recycled and new carbon stays in
the ground (that's the solution to global warming) Plus, crude oil
deposits the Middle East drops dramatically in value, shifting the
balance of power away from Saudi Arabia and other oil-producing nations.
(that's the Republican hawk part; let the Saudis sell their $2 per
barrel oil to China or something if they think they can get that much
for it. Can you imagine the affect on world politics if the USA were a
net exporter of energy? (I know we'll never get that far, but it's a
worthy goal))

Meanwhile, my portfolio is overweighted in oil production and pipeline
stocks, and doing very well.

BTW, if we drill in ANWAR (and we probably should) the oil will all end
up going to Japan most likely. Oil is an international commodity. Oil
from anywhere and everywhere flows to wherever the market takes it.
Opening a big oilfield in the USA doesn't boost our oil supply, it
insignificantly boosts the world's oil supply.

Best regards,
Bob

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:15:20 -0500, (T 35) wrote:

>No i'm sorry to say that I will not going any where this spring or
>summer. Unless the gas prices go down a lot. This is a tragedy. The
>government would let these gas prices get so high. The government could
>lower or even drop the taxes on the gas. I just can't believe that the
>government would even think about putting taxes on something that people
>need to live on. We need gas to heat our homes and to drive to work.
>btw, If we did not work we could not support our families or our
>government. If we do not work uncle Sam gets no taxes. People all across
>the nation should have a sit down. Every one stay home for a week. That
>will wake the oil companies up along with the government. And yes
>America it can be done. Think about it. If every one stayed home for a
>week not one person would earn a single dollar. nor would the government
>or the oil companies. And it can be done if the nation would stick
>together and do it.. Thank you.

Sorry dudes, but gas has been taxed at a much higher rate in other
nations, ever since the last energy crisis in the early seventies, to
curb consumption and the resulting effects on society.

Europe does it and Canada does it, and our resulting growth and
consumption patterns for the past thirty years have been substantially
different from the US.

I've known that the cost of energy would _have_ go back up eventually,
and have deliberately chosen over the years to drive small cars and
structure my life in antiicipation of that (I didn't need a truck or
an SUV.... why pay for it?) Not to mention I could spend the money
elsewhere...

This will serve as the incentive I need to get my fellow shareholders
in my older co-operative apartment building to invest in some new
now-available energy conservation technologies (two button flush
toilets, the photovoltaic array on the roof, finishing the building
envelope tightening program)

I'll be out there on my bike with my "O cents/km" Tshirt.
I'm afraid my attitude is "suck up and deal, you'll be better for it",
as I set out to do some practical things to help my lower income
co-owners find some solutions.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
Ophelia

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Fred Flint Stone wrote:
>>
>> Our "oil shale" deposits are enormous,
>> Fred Flint Stone

> Fred Flintstone writing about Earl Shale! <G>
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . . .

We are paying UKP 3.55 per gallon

Ophelia
Scotland

Ginny Sher

$2.59 in Los Angeles.
notbob

On 2005-03-12, Bob (this one) > wrote:

> There's a problem with ethanol. It eats car parts. That's why it
> hasn't caught on as a substantial contributor to fuel for automobile
> engines.

Bull. Despite the alcohol fuel supply problems, Brazil has been
running all alcohol cars since the 70's. Here in the US, 10% alcohol
fuel has been a reality, off and on, since the 80s. It's what I've
been running in my Honda Si (when I can find it) for the last 225K
miles.

Did anyone really expect the situation to be other than what it is
after putting GWB in the white house for a second term? Last night's
news was most revealing. The Saudi's have dropped oil prices by $1.50
a barrel, but there have been no new gas refineries built in the US in
the last twenty years. The refiners are bragging about the profit
margin. This isn't rocket science, just simple greed.

Ruddell

In > David Chapman wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:15:04 -0800, fifty five <howmuchdo@youpayfor.
> gas> wrote:
>> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>>
>> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
>>

> In Victoria, B.C. western Canada I pay 59.9 cents per litre for
> vehicle propane.

Right now in Regina it's 91.9/litre and probably going to stay there for
a while.

>> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?
>>

> Yes. Hi Ho, Hi Ho. It's off to work I go... And maybe Saskatchewan...

Whoo Hooo! See ya in the parks :-)

> On Topic to appease r.f.c police:
>
> Anybody have any experience/recommendations for cooking manicotti
> stuffed with spinach, feta, tofu and seansonings on the exhaust
> manifolds of a Ford 351 Windsor (I think) running on propane?
>
> Any recommendations as to what the seasonings for the above project
> should be?

Nope, but will keep an eye out if anyone does have a suggestion...

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

zxcvbob

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-03-12, Bob (this one) > wrote:
>

>>There's a problem with ethanol. It eats car parts. That's why it
>>hasn't caught on as a substantial contributor to fuel for automobile
>>engines.

> Bull. Despite the alcohol fuel supply problems, Brazil has been
> running all alcohol cars since the 70's. Here in the US, 10% alcohol
> fuel has been a reality, off and on, since the 80s. It's what I've
> been running in my Honda Si (when I can find it) for the last 225K
> miles.
>
> Did anyone really expect the situation to be other than what it is
> after putting GWB in the white house for a second term? Last night's
> news was most revealing. The Saudi's have dropped oil prices by $1.50
> a barrel, but there have been no new gas refineries built in the US in
> the last twenty years. The refiners are bragging about the profit
> margin. This isn't rocket science, just simple greed.

Here in Minnesota, all gasoline is 10% ethanol. There's one place in
town that sells 85% ethanol (they call it E85). I wrote to GM to see if
I could use that in my 2001 truck and they said no. No higher than E10.
The Minnesota legislature is talking about requiring all gasoline in
the state to be at least 20% ethanol by... 2008, I believe. It will be
interesting (not necessarily good) to see what happens if that passes.

Bob
Becca

Ginny Sher wrote:

> $2.59 in Los Angeles.

$1.90 in Houston for diesel. One year ago, diesel was $1.54 per gallon.

Last week I was in Cozumel, it was around 90 cents per liter.

Becca

Bay Area B&Bs Bill O'Meally Wine 6 18-06-2005 08:52 PM
NYC area Musashi Sushi 15 17-11-2004 08:33 PM
BBQ in the Lexington KY area? Sam Lowry Restaurants 1 28-05-2004 07:00 AM
Where To Buy Brisket In S. Bay Area? [email protected] Barbecue 4 15-05-2004 01:17 AM
Looking for Culture in the SF Bay Area Arma Sourdough 6 08-12-2003 01:37 AM