General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gal Called J.J.
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recipe Help - Baked Chicken Supreme

I recently found this recipe, and I want to try it. I suspect
it's an older one, and some of it is confusing:

Baked Chicken Supreme

1 baking size chicken
6-8 c. broken bread
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 onion, diced
1/3 c. fat or butter
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 - 2 c. milk
Salt & Pepper
Sage to taste

Boil chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper until it is
well done. Remove bones and chop meat into small pieces.
Fry onion in fat until brown. Add bread crumbs, celery,
baking powder and seasoning. Add milk and eggs; mix well.
Place diced chicken in bottom of baking dish. Pour dressing
on top of the chicken. Cover with broth from baked chicken.
Bake at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

Okay, "baking size chicken" is, I assume, your average 3+
pound broiler/fryer. But should the "broken bread" be dry?
What size baking dish, 9x13? And it says "cover with broth
from baked chicken" -- I assume that's a typo and should be
"boiled" chicken, but even then, how much broth? Wouldn't
it depend on the amount of water the chicken was cooked in?

If you've got any ideas on this, I'd like to hear 'em, TIA...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
(Gal Called J.J.) wrote:

> I recently found this recipe, and I want to try it. I suspect
> it's an older one, and some of it is confusing:
>
> Baked Chicken Supreme
>
> 1 baking size chicken
> 6-8 c. broken bread
> 1 stalk celery, chopped
> 1 onion, diced
> 1/3 c. fat or butter
> 2 eggs, well beaten
> 1/2 tsp. baking powder
> 1 1/2 - 2 c. milk
> Salt & Pepper
> Sage to taste
>
> Boil chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper until it is
> well done. Remove bones and chop meat into small pieces.
> Fry onion in fat until brown. Add bread crumbs, celery,
> baking powder and seasoning. Add milk and eggs; mix well.
> Place diced chicken in bottom of baking dish. Pour dressing
> on top of the chicken. Cover with broth from baked chicken.
> Bake at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

(snip)

> If you've got any ideas on this, I'd like to hear 'em, TIA...


Pick a different recipe. You can easily fake this, JJ. Prepare your
favorite bread dressing (sage, thyme, marjoram) and dump it (excuse me
-- arrange it attractively) on top of the cooked chicken pieces that
you've put in the bottom of a 2-3 quart casserole dish. I sure as
heck wouldn't bake it at 375 for 90 minutes -- more like 350 deg for 45
minutes, max. Everything's pretty well cooked to start with if, in
making your dressing you cook the celery and onion before adding the
bread cubes. Get the gravy ready. Oink, oink.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
aem
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> I recently found this recipe, and I want to try it. I suspect
> it's an older one, and some of it is confusing:


[snip recipe]
>
> Okay, "baking size chicken" is, I assume, your average 3+
> pound broiler/fryer. But should the "broken bread" be dry?
> What size baking dish, 9x13? And it says "cover with broth
> from baked chicken" -- I assume that's a typo and should be
> "boiled" chicken, but even then, how much broth? Wouldn't
> it depend on the amount of water the chicken was cooked in?
>
> If you've got any ideas on this, I'd like to hear 'em, TIA...


This must be not only an old recipe but also one for feeding lots of
people with little resources. The "baking size" bird was probably
meant to be a true roaster in the 6-8 lb. range and old. That's the
only way the very long cooking time could be needed.

Basically you've got a boiled bird covered with bread dressing. I'll
bet roast chicken with your own favorite dressing on the side would be
better than this.

Or, a little closer to the feel of this, do a gently poached whole
chicken, make a dressing on the side and a white sauce with onion,
carrot, celery. Disjoint the chicken, surround and cover it with the
dressing, cover with the white sauce. Put it in a moderate oven with
some cheese sprinkled on the top. Serve when it's hot and browned.

-aem

-aem

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gal Called J.J.
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:
> In article >,
> (Gal Called J.J.) wrote:
>
> > I recently found this recipe, and I want to try it. I suspect
> > it's an older one, and some of it is confusing:


<snip recipe>

> > If you've got any ideas on this, I'd like to hear 'em, TIA...

>
> Pick a different recipe. You can easily fake this, JJ. Prepare your
> favorite bread dressing (sage, thyme, marjoram) and dump it (excuse me
> -- arrange it attractively) on top of the cooked chicken pieces that
> you've put in the bottom of a 2-3 quart casserole dish. I sure as
> heck wouldn't bake it at 375 for 90 minutes -- more like 350 deg for 45
> minutes, max. Everything's pretty well cooked to start with if, in
> making your dressing you cook the celery and onion before adding the
> bread cubes. Get the gravy ready. Oink, oink.


Yeah, you're right -- thanks, Mom. It's really just stuffing and
chicken, and that's not such a great idea anyway, as DH doesn't
like stuffing much. So I started looking at other chicken recipes,
and I think I'll try this one instead:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ken55152.shtml

Anne`s Chicken Recipe

* 1 frying chicken (cut up)
* Salt and pepper
* 1 can cream of mushroom soup
* 1/2 cup sauterne or sherry
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
* 2 tablespoons dry Italian salad dressing mix
* 2 packages cream cheese (3 ounces) cut in cubes
* 1 tablespoon onion, chopped

Wash chicken and pat dry. Brush with butter. Sprinkle with salt and
pepper. Place in crock pot. Sprinkle with dry salad dressing. Cover
and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. About 3/4 hour before serving, mix
soup, cream cheese, wine, and onion in small saucepan. Cook until
smooth. Pour over chicken in crock pot. Cover and cook for 30 minutes
on low. Serve with sauce. Serve with rice or noodles.

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
(Gal Called J.J.) wrote:

> One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:

(snippage)
> >
> > Pick a different recipe. You can easily fake this, JJ.

(snippage)
> Yeah, you're right -- thanks, Mom.


Any time.

> It's really just stuffing and
> chicken, and that's not such a great idea anyway, as DH doesn't
> like stuffing much. So I started looking at other chicken recipes,


So what you're really after is some tasty chicken recipe? Try this one:
These don't look no nutritionally swell -- maybe you can figure out a
couple substitutions or something.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Baked Chicken

Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 3-9-2005
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:40
Categories : Entrees

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 chicken breasts (2#)
1 jar apricot preserves -- (10 oz.)
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix -- (1 oz.)
1 jar creamy Russian dressing -- (8 oz.)

Preheat oven to 325. Place breasts in a shallow baking pan. Combine
preserves, soup mix and dressing and spread over top of chicken. Bake
1-1/2 hours. Serves 8.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Source: Jeanne Jones column, Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper
6/5/94. Each serving contains approximately 465 calories, 101 mg.
cholesterol, 24 gm fat, 649 mg sodium.


* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Apricot Chicken Divine

Recipe By : Terry Pogue >, 6/25/96; r.f.c.
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Entrees

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 chicken breast halves -- skinned
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 375F. Melt margarine with oil in a shallow baking pan.

Meanwhile, shake chicken in a plastic bag filled with flour and salt
until chicken is coated. Place chicken in a single layer in the baking
pan and bake for 25 minutes
Combine apricot preserves, mustard, and yogurt. Spread apricot mixture
on chicken and bake for 30 minutes more or until done

Just before serving, brown almonds lightly and sprinkle almonds over
chicken and serve over rice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving: 463 Calories; 24g Fat (48% calories from fat); 40g Protein;
20g Carbohydrate; 116mg Cholesterol; 456mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other
Carbohydrates


_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ginny Sher
 
Posts: n/a
Default


> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Baked Chicken
>
>Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 3-9-2005
>Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:40
>Categories : Entrees
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 8 chicken breasts (2#)
> 1 jar apricot preserves -- (10 oz.)
> 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix -- (1 oz.)
> 1 jar creamy Russian dressing -- (8 oz.)
>
>Preheat oven to 325. Place breasts in a shallow baking pan. Combine
>preserves, soup mix and dressing and spread over top of chicken. Bake
>1-1/2 hours. Serves 8.
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>NOTES : Source: Jeanne Jones column, Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper
>6/5/94. Each serving contains approximately 465 calories, 101 mg.
>cholesterol, 24 gm fat, 649 mg sodium.
>


Please excuse my ignorance but is Russian dressing the same or similar
to Thousand Island?? :-/

Ginny
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
wrote:

> > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
> >
> > Baked Chicken
> >
> >Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 3-9-2005
> >Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:40
> >Categories : Entrees
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> >-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 8 chicken breasts (2#)
> > 1 jar apricot preserves -- (10 oz.)
> > 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix -- (1 oz.)
> > 1 jar creamy Russian dressing -- (8 oz.)
> >
> >Preheat oven to 325. Place breasts in a shallow baking pan. Combine
> >preserves, soup mix and dressing and spread over top of chicken. Bake
> >1-1/2 hours. Serves 8.
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >NOTES : Source: Jeanne Jones column, Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper
> >6/5/94. Each serving contains approximately 465 calories, 101 mg.
> >cholesterol, 24 gm fat, 649 mg sodium.
> >

>
> Please excuse my ignorance but is Russian dressing the same or similar
> to Thousand Island?? :-/
>
> Ginny


That recipe is so old, Russian dressing might not even exist any more.
I think I use Catalina if I can't find Russian - believe there's a lower
calorie version of it, too. Sweetish (not Swedish) red stuff. :-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gal Called J.J.
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:
> In article >,
> (Gal Called J.J.) wrote:


<snip>

> > It's really just stuffing and
> > chicken, and that's not such a great idea anyway, as DH doesn't
> > like stuffing much. So I started looking at other chicken recipes,

>
> So what you're really after is some tasty chicken recipe? Try this one:
> These don't look no nutritionally swell -- maybe you can figure out a
> couple substitutions or something.


<snip>

These sound great! And I have no prejudice against mixing preserves
and salad dressing -- I got the recipe below from Reader's Digest
a few years ago, and it's very good. Plus, I love anything with toasted
almonds in it. Thanks again... :-)

Simple Glazed Pork Chops

2/3 C. apricot or peach preserves
C. Italian dressing
2 T. dijon style mustard
4 pork chops, 1 inch thick (about 1 pounds)

In medium bowl, combine first three ingredients. In large, non-aluminum
baking dish, arrange pork chops in one layer. Pour C. of marinade
over chops, turning to coat. Reserve remaining marinade; refrigerate.
Cover pan, marinate in refrigerator, turning occasionally, 3-24 hours.
Prepare grill or broiler. Remove chops from marinade, discarding
marinade. Grill or broil chops, turning once and brushing frequently
with reserved marinade, until chops are done. Makes 4 servings.

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baked garlic chicken recipe ImStillMags General Cooking 13 01-02-2014 06:43 AM
Baked Chicken With Sherry Mushroom Sauce Recipe Tamara L Recipes (moderated) 0 26-05-2006 08:49 PM
A healthier Wendy's Spicy Chicken ( batter of baked chicken ). Thaddeus L Olczyk General Cooking 6 24-04-2006 11:50 PM
Crockpot Chicken Supreme Duckie Recipes 0 01-09-2005 02:40 AM
Baked Chicken Breasts Supreme Beth Layman Recipes (moderated) 0 31-05-2005 06:27 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"