rosie

Default Omelette

Michael, That sounds good, but lately I have been on an omlette kick. I
make them and toss in LOs , or whatever sounds good.

I keep some cooked bacon in the fridge and crumble a little in them
too, onions, cheese, peppers, I had LO wild rice and tossed that in the
other day.. Yum

Rosie

Peter Aitken

"Dog3" > wrote in message
> I'm having an omelette for breakfast. No special kind. I'm throwing in
> diced onion, green pepper, garlic and some grated asaiago. Hmmm... I might
> add some tomato sauce and spices. Texas toast and some fried potatoes will
> accompany. I may fry up some sausage patties but I am not going to commit
> to it.
>
> Michael

I had an unnusually luxurious omelet the other day: lobster and mushrooms!
Excellent, needless to say.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
> m:
>
>> "Dog3" > wrote in message
>>> I'm having an omelette for breakfast. No special kind. I'm throwing
>>> in diced onion, green pepper, garlic and some grated asaiago. Hmmm...
>>> I might add some tomato sauce and spices. Texas toast and some fried
>>> potatoes will accompany. I may fry up some sausage patties but I am
>>> not going to commit to it.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> I had an unnusually luxurious omelet the other day: lobster and
>> mushrooms! Excellent, needless to say.
>>

> Did you have a cream sauce with it by any chance? It sounds really good
> but
> I would have to go out for it. I'm too lazy to boil/steam a lobster for
> breakfast. The mushrooms I can handle.
>
> Michael

No cream sauce, just butter. It was leftover lobster - boiling a lobster for
breakfast is a bit much!

--
Peter Aitken

jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> I'm having an omelette for breakfast. No special kind. I'm throwing in
> diced onion, green pepper, garlic and some grated asaiago. Hmmm... I
> might add some tomato sauce and spices. Texas toast and some fried
> potatoes will accompany. I may fry up some sausage patties but I am
> not going to commit to it.
>
> Michael

My favourite omelet is still crumbled bacon, spinach and cream cheese. With
crispy hash browns (the grated kind, not "home fries") on the side

Jill

jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Dog3 wrote:
>>> I'm having an omelette for breakfast. No special kind. I'm throwing
>>> in diced onion, green pepper, garlic and some grated asaiago.
>>> Hmmm... I might add some tomato sauce and spices. Texas toast and
>>> some fried potatoes will accompany. I may fry up some sausage
>>> patties but I am not going to commit to it.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> My favourite omelet is still crumbled bacon, spinach and cream
>> cheese. With crispy hash browns (the grated kind, not "home fries")
>> on the side
>>
>> Jill

> Usually I go out for breakfast unless it's just a bagel. I don't cook
> breakfast much except on the weekends. I can't get out a lot right
> now so I'm doing more breakfast at home. Now, I need to learn how to
> poach eggs and do it in the shell.
>
> Michael

<G> I admit I first had the bacon/spinach/cream cheese omelet when I was
*out* to breakfast but it's not terribly difficult to prepare at home. I
keep frozen spinach in the freezer - it's practically a staple. You can
actually freeze cream cheese too; if you're using it in something like an
omelet it melts and the texture from having been frozen doesn't matter so
much. For a nice 2 or 3 egg omelet, thaw the spinach and press it to remove
excess moisture. Use about 3 Tbs. cream cheese and a strip or two of
cooked, crumbled bacon. (And yes, I've even tried that pre-cooked don't
have to refrigerate bacon - I think Bryan's makes it - pretty good!)
Prepare your omelet, add the fillings, Turn and fold the omelet and finish
cooking. YUM!

I can't help you with poaching (never done it) but by "in the shell" do you
mean soft boiled eggs?

Jill

jmcquown

jmcquown wrote:
> Dog3 wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :

>>> My favourite omelet is still crumbled bacon, spinach and cream
>>> cheese. With crispy hash browns (the grated kind, not "home fries")
>>> on the side
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Usually I go out for breakfast unless it's just a bagel. I don't cook
>> breakfast much except on the weekends. I can't get out a lot right
>> now so I'm doing more breakfast at home. Now, I need to learn how to
>> poach eggs and do it in the shell.
>>
>> Michael

> <G> I admit I first had the bacon/spinach/cream cheese omelet when I
> was *out* to breakfast but it's not terribly difficult to prepare at
> home. I keep frozen spinach in the freezer - it's practically a
> staple. You can actually freeze cream cheese too; if you're using it
> in something like an omelet it melts and the texture from having been
> frozen doesn't matter so much. For a nice 2 or 3 egg omelet, thaw
> the spinach

A handful! Not the entire package. And I buy bags of frozen leaf spinach,
not the chopped frozen "blocks"

Jill

Michel Boucher

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> I admit I first had the bacon/spinach/cream cheese omelet when
> I was *out* to breakfast but it's not terribly difficult to
> prepare at home.

I do one with mushrooms, basil pesto and goat's milk cheese. When the
omelette is almost ready, I put a small spoonful of pesto and a piece
of goat's milk cheese in the centre and I fold the omelette. I let it
cook another 30 seconds and stand 30 seconds. The cheese will have
melted somewhat, which is perfect for that sort of cheese.

--

[...] remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth

Monty Python's Universe Song
Katra

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Dog3 wrote:
> >> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Usually I go out for breakfast unless it's just a bagel. I don't cook
> >> breakfast much except on the weekends. I can't get out a lot right
> >> now so I'm doing more breakfast at home. Now, I need to learn how to
> >> poach eggs and do it in the shell.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > <G> I admit I first had the bacon/spinach/cream cheese omelet when I
> > was *out* to breakfast but it's not terribly difficult to prepare at
> > home. I keep frozen spinach in the freezer - it's practically a
> > staple. You can actually freeze cream cheese too; if you're using it
> > in something like an omelet it melts and the texture from having been
> > frozen doesn't matter so much. For a nice 2 or 3 egg omelet, thaw
> > the spinach

> A handful! Not the entire package. And I buy bags of frozen leaf spinach,
> not the chopped frozen "blocks"
>
> Jill

For spinach in Omelets, I like to use the pre-packaged, pre-washed,
fresh baby spinach leaves for salads...... :-) They "melt" down quickly
and are OH so good! They can also be quickly pre-steamed in the m-wave
if you worry about them not being wilted enough.

Much better than canned IMHO! ;-d

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Peter Aitken

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
.. .
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I admit I first had the bacon/spinach/cream cheese omelet when
>> I was *out* to breakfast but it's not terribly difficult to
>> prepare at home.

> I do one with mushrooms, basil pesto and goat's milk cheese. When the
> omelette is almost ready, I put a small spoonful of pesto and a piece
> of goat's milk cheese in the centre and I fold the omelette. I let it
> cook another 30 seconds and stand 30 seconds. The cheese will have
> melted somewhat, which is perfect for that sort of cheese.

I you like goat cheese, I recommend a goat cheese and caramelized onion
omelet. It's one of my favorite combinations.

--
Peter Aitken

Jude

This weekend's brunch was an omelet filled with leftover sauteed garlic
spinach, plus sauteed mushrooms, onions, and feta cheese.

I served it with whole wheat toast and a fruit salad that consisted of:
strawberries, melon, grapes, canned crushed pineapple, canned mandarin
oranges, topped with toasted coconut and sweet croutons (made from
leftover homemade banana bread and store-bought cinnamon raisin bread).
And fresh o.j. and coffee.

I love making Brunch on Sundays. part of the joy of sleeping late.

aem

jmcquown wrote:
> My favourite omelet is still crumbled bacon, spinach and cream

cheese. With
> crispy hash browns (the grated kind, not "home fries") on the side
>
> Jill

Sliced snowpeas, cooked in butter for about 30 seconds before adding
the eggs. Then top with fresh salsa. Smooth v. crunchy and mild v.
spicy. You can gild this lily with an English muffin, cream cheese and
jalape=F1o jelly.

-aem

Michel Boucher

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in
m:

> "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I admit I first had the bacon/spinach/cream cheese omelet when
>>> I was *out* to breakfast but it's not terribly difficult to
>>> prepare at home.

>> I do one with mushrooms, basil pesto and goat's milk cheese.
>> When the omelette is almost ready, I put a small spoonful of
>> pesto and a piece of goat's milk cheese in the centre and I fold
>> the omelette. I let it cook another 30 seconds and stand 30
>> seconds. The cheese will have melted somewhat, which is perfect
>> for that sort of cheese.

> I you like goat cheese, I recommend a goat cheese and caramelized
> onion omelet. It's one of my favorite combinations.

Unfortunately, onions are anathema to my digestive system. Perhaps
caramelized leeks? Leeks have an effect but nowhere near as nuclear
as onions.

--

[...] remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down 'ere on Earth!

Monty Python's Universe Song
jmcquown

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> <G> I admit I first had the bacon/spinach/cream cheese omelet when I
>>> was *out* to breakfast but it's not terribly difficult to prepare at
>>> home. I keep frozen spinach in the freezer - it's practically a
>>> staple.

>> A handful! Not the entire package. And I buy bags of frozen leaf
>> spinach,
>> not the chopped frozen "blocks"
>>
>> Jill
>>

> For spinach in Omelets, I like to use the pre-packaged, pre-washed,
> fresh baby spinach leaves for salads...... :-) They "melt" down
> quickly
> and are OH so good! They can also be quickly pre-steamed in the m-wave
> if you worry about them not being wilted enough.
>
> Much better than canned IMHO! ;-d
>
> Kat

Canned spinach - UGH! I never know when I'll want spinach so I tend not to
buy the fresh stuff unless I have a specific plan in mind for using it the
same day or the next. But I'm sure it's wonderful in omelets!

Jill

Mike Pearce

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
m...

> I you like goat cheese, I recommend a goat cheese and caramelized onion
> omelet. It's one of my favorite combinations.

Caramelized onions make just about anything taste better.

-Mike

Damsel in dis Dress

Katra >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>For spinach in Omelets, I like to use the pre-packaged, pre-washed,
>fresh baby spinach leaves for salads...... :-) They "melt" down quickly
>and are OH so good! They can also be quickly pre-steamed in the m-wave
>if you worry about them not being wilted enough.
>
>Much better than canned IMHO! ;-d

Better than canned OR frozen. Blech! But I love fresh spinach, either in
salads, or gently sauteed.

Carol

Chris Neidecker

Made my husband a late-night omelette the other night...chopped Virginia
ham, warmed slightly in the pan before cooking the omelette, and some smoked
cheddar. Nice combo! We also have some roasted garlic cheddar (these
cheeses were left over from our Superbowl party...I didn't even get to taste
them that night 'cause we had so much other stuff). That might be good in
an omelette, but I'm not sure with what other ingredients.

Gregory Morrow

Michel Boucher wrote:

> Unfortunately, onions are anathema to my digestive system. Perhaps
> caramelized leeks? Leeks have an effect but nowhere near as nuclear
> as onions.

It's the French and those damn nuclear tests in the South Pacific, Michel...

--
Best
Greg

Michel Boucher

"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote
in nk.net:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, onions are anathema to my digestive system.
>> Perhaps caramelized leeks? Leeks have an effect but nowhere near
>> as nuclear as onions.

> It's the French and those damn nuclear tests in the South Pacific,
> Michel...

What would the French have to do with that? More likely those
verdammter Amerikanischer and their squirelly social experiments.
Modern conservatism (formerly called liberalism back when the names
were related to the movements that gave them rise) gives me a royal
case of the heebiejeebies.

--

[...] remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down 'ere on Earth!

Monty Python's Universe Song
Jean B.

Peter Aitken wrote:

> I you like goat cheese, I recommend a goat cheese and caramelized onion
> omelet. It's one of my favorite combinations.

Other good combos: goat cheese and sundried tomatoes; goat cheese
and tapenade.

--
Jean B.