CoastWatcher

Default chili verde too spicy

I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
to tone it down a bit?

Maverick

"Coas****cher" > wrote in message
> I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> to tone it down a bit?

Add some diced potatos to it.

Bret

Maverick

"Coas****cher" > wrote in message
> I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> to tone it down a bit?

Add some diced potatos to it.

Bret

Richard's ~JA~

The only solution I've ever used and come to trust, is to make another
half-batch or more, depending on the amount of heat to temper, and in
the second batch, put no heat at all so that the two can be mixed
together for a better blend. However, if what you've made is primarily
made with the "hot peppers, you may be at a loss. Nothing at all can be
added to take away heat from anything made with too-hot peppers being
the bulk ingredient.

Picky ~JA~
"If a man smiles all the time he's probably selling something that
doesn't work." George Carlin, "Brain Droppings"

WiScottsin

"Coas****cher" > wrote in message
> I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> to tone it down a bit?

Drink lots of beer while eating it ;-)

WiScottsin

"Coas****cher" > wrote in message
> I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> to tone it down a bit?

Drink lots of beer while eating it ;-)

zxcvbob

Coas****cher wrote:
> I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> to tone it down a bit?

Add some cubed potatoes.

Also, it will tame down a bit just by putting it in the refrigerator overnight.

Eat it with buttered warm tortillas. Mmmmm.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Coas****cher wrote:
> I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> to tone it down a bit?

Add some cubed potatoes.

Also, it will tame down a bit just by putting it in the refrigerator overnight.

Eat it with buttered warm tortillas. Mmmmm.

Best regards,
Bob
John Gaughan

WiScottsin wrote:
> Drink lots of beer while eating it ;-)

The words "drink lots of beer..." apply well to everything :-)

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

John Gaughan

WiScottsin wrote:
> Drink lots of beer while eating it ;-)

The words "drink lots of beer..." apply well to everything :-)

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Levelwave©

John Gaughan wrote:

> The words "drink lots of beer..." apply well to everything :-)

Especially when you wake up and take a good look at what you brought
home the night before from "drinking lots of beer"... then the words
take on an whole nother meaning altogether...

~john
Levelwave©

John Gaughan wrote:

> The words "drink lots of beer..." apply well to everything :-)

Especially when you wake up and take a good look at what you brought
home the night before from "drinking lots of beer"... then the words
take on an whole nother meaning altogether...

~john
zxcvbob

Levelwave© wrote:
> John Gaughan wrote:
>
>> The words "drink lots of beer..." apply well to everything :-)

> Especially when you wake up and take a good look at what you brought
> home the night before from "drinking lots of beer"... then the words
> take on an whole nother meaning altogether...
>
> ~john

I didn't think beer would do that. Unless of course you chase it with whiskey.

-Bob
zxcvbob

Levelwave© wrote:
> John Gaughan wrote:
>
>> The words "drink lots of beer..." apply well to everything :-)

> Especially when you wake up and take a good look at what you brought
> home the night before from "drinking lots of beer"... then the words
> take on an whole nother meaning altogether...
>
> ~john

I didn't think beer would do that. Unless of course you chase it with whiskey.

-Bob

Levelwave©

beatnik wrote:

> I make a double batch every fall with roasted & peeled Anaheim
> peppers, but because I like it hot, I leave in all the seeds. If your
> chili verde has seeds, try straining them out -- that'll remove a lot
> of the heat.

The inner membrane of the pepper is where most of the heat is
concentrated...

~john
Levelwave©

beatnik wrote:

> I make a double batch every fall with roasted & peeled Anaheim
> peppers, but because I like it hot, I leave in all the seeds. If your
> chili verde has seeds, try straining them out -- that'll remove a lot
> of the heat.

The inner membrane of the pepper is where most of the heat is
concentrated...

~john
Scott

Has anyone TRIED adding potatoes to a dish that was too salty??? Aside
from diluting via added volume. I've never seen it work. See also,
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...node=&contentI
d=A25891-2001Apr17&notFound=true>

The result of an informal test showed that "there was no detectable
difference whatsoever in the salt water before and after being simmered
with potato. That is, the potato did not lower the concentration of salt
at all, either in the one-teaspoon-per-quart sample or in the
one-tablespoon-per quart sample. The potato treatment just doesn't work.
Period."

please mail OT responses only

zxcvbob

Scott wrote:

> Has anyone TRIED adding potatoes to a dish that was too salty??? Aside
> from diluting via added volume. I've never seen it work. See also,
> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...node=&contentI
> d=A25891-2001Apr17&notFound=true>
>
> The result of an informal test showed that "there was no detectable
> difference whatsoever in the salt water before and after being simmered
> with potato. That is, the potato did not lower the concentration of salt
> at all, either in the one-teaspoon-per-quart sample or in the
> one-tablespoon-per quart sample. The potato treatment just doesn't work.
> Period."

Who said anything about removing salt? "Coas****cher" is trying to reduce
the perceived heat in some rather thin green chili. Cubed potatoes will do
that (by dilution, mostly) and they'll taste good.

Bob

zxcvbob

Scott wrote:

> Has anyone TRIED adding potatoes to a dish that was too salty??? Aside
> from diluting via added volume. I've never seen it work. See also,
> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...node=&contentI
> d=A25891-2001Apr17&notFound=true>
>
> The result of an informal test showed that "there was no detectable
> difference whatsoever in the salt water before and after being simmered
> with potato. That is, the potato did not lower the concentration of salt
> at all, either in the one-teaspoon-per-quart sample or in the
> one-tablespoon-per quart sample. The potato treatment just doesn't work.
> Period."

Who said anything about removing salt? "Coas****cher" is trying to reduce
the perceived heat in some rather thin green chili. Cubed potatoes will do
that (by dilution, mostly) and they'll taste good.

Bob
Jack Schidt®

<beatnik> wrote in message
> Coas****cher > wrote:
>
> >I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> >almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> >to tone it down a bit?

> I make a double batch every fall with roasted & peeled Anaheim
> peppers, but because I like it hot, I leave in all the seeds. If your
> chili verde has seeds, try straining them out -- that'll remove a lot
> of the heat.

The only reason the seeds have any heat is their proximity to the placenta,
which is the source of the heat in chiles.

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/FAQ.htm

Just a suggestion, try making chile verde with poblanos; muy bien! As for
toning down a too-hot batch, the potatoes idea is good, or just freeze it in
small portions and use it for a base for future batches.

Jack Chilehood

Jack Schidt®

"WiScottsin" > wrote in message

> "Coas****cher" > wrote in message
> > I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> > almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> > to tone it down a bit?
> >

> Drink lots of beer while eating it ;-)

Isn't that known as "Wisconfidence" in your neck of the woods?

Jack Kenosha

Jack Schidt®

<beatnik> wrote in message
> Coas****cher > wrote:
>
> >I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> >almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> >to tone it down a bit?

> I make a double batch every fall with roasted & peeled Anaheim
> peppers, but because I like it hot, I leave in all the seeds. If your
> chili verde has seeds, try straining them out -- that'll remove a lot
> of the heat.

The only reason the seeds have any heat is their proximity to the placenta,
which is the source of the heat in chiles.

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/FAQ.htm

Just a suggestion, try making chile verde with poblanos; muy bien! As for
toning down a too-hot batch, the potatoes idea is good, or just freeze it in
small portions and use it for a base for future batches.

Jack Chilehood

Jack Schidt®

"WiScottsin" > wrote in message

> "Coas****cher" > wrote in message
> > I made some chili verde for the first time and got it too spicy. It is
> > almost too thin already so I can't just add more liquid. Any ideas how
> > to tone it down a bit?
> >

> Drink lots of beer while eating it ;-)

Isn't that known as "Wisconfidence" in your neck of the woods?

Jack Kenosha

hahabogus

Scott > wrote in news:heimdall-
:

> Has anyone TRIED adding potatoes to a dish that was too salty??? Aside
> from diluting via added volume. I've never seen it work. See also,
> <
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...node=&contentI
> d=A25891-2001Apr17&notFound=true>
>
> The result of an informal test showed that "there was no detectable
> difference whatsoever in the salt water before and after being simmered
> with potato. That is, the potato did not lower the concentration of salt
> at all, either in the one-teaspoon-per-quart sample or in the
> one-tablespoon-per quart sample. The potato treatment just doesn't work.
> Period."

I have used instant potato flakes to great success in masking too much
salt in soups, on several occassions. Sure there's still salt in it, but
you can't taste it and say too salty.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

Scott > wrote in news:heimdall-
:

> Has anyone TRIED adding potatoes to a dish that was too salty??? Aside
> from diluting via added volume. I've never seen it work. See also,
> <
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...node=&contentI
> d=A25891-2001Apr17&notFound=true>
>
> The result of an informal test showed that "there was no detectable
> difference whatsoever in the salt water before and after being simmered
> with potato. That is, the potato did not lower the concentration of salt
> at all, either in the one-teaspoon-per-quart sample or in the
> one-tablespoon-per quart sample. The potato treatment just doesn't work.
> Period."

I have used instant potato flakes to great success in masking too much
salt in soups, on several occassions. Sure there's still salt in it, but
you can't taste it and say too salty.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Scott

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Who said anything about removing salt? "Coas****cher" is trying to reduce
> the perceived heat in some rather thin green chili. Cubed potatoes will do
> that (by dilution, mostly) and they'll taste good.

D'oh! I'd closed the subject, dug up the info where it was buried on my
hard drive, and quoted the wrong thread when I found it. It was the
"Chili is too hot!" thread that mentioned saltiness (at least I got the
topic vaguely right). That original post asked "Does anyone know how to
correct a chili that is too hot other than diluting it? I know that for
a dish that is too salty, adding pototoes works, but what about too much
hot chili? Will potatoes work with that? Thanks!"

please mail OT responses only
Scott