Lewis Dodd

Default Soft Cookies

How do you make cookies that stay soft and chewy instead of getting
brittle and hard? What ingredient does that, molasses or what?

Regards,
Lewis

--
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce.

Jude

Using Crisco instead of butter or margarine helps quite a lot. There's
also a big textural difference i baked good depending on if you use
real butter or if you use a baking spread.

sf

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:38:18 -0600, "Lewis Dodd"
> wrote:

> How do you make cookies that stay soft and chewy instead of getting
> brittle and hard? What ingredient does that, molasses or what?

Some people say "use real butter", others say use something
else, I say undercook them a bit.

sf
Siobhan Perricone

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:38:18 -0600, "Lewis Dodd" > wrote:

> How do you make cookies that stay soft and chewy instead of getting
>brittle and hard? What ingredient does that, molasses or what?

Alton Brown did an entire episode on cookie recipe modifications to get
different results from the same general recipe. Try looking at foodtv.com
and searching for good eats chocolate chip cookie recipes.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Hahabogus

sf > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:38:18 -0600, "Lewis Dodd"
> > wrote:
>
> > How do you make cookies that stay soft and chewy instead of
> > getting
> > brittle and hard? What ingredient does that, molasses or what?
> >

> Some people say "use real butter", others say use something
> else, I say undercook them a bit.
>
> sf

I say use sour cream

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe By amsel's Heirloom Recipes
Serving Size : 42 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cookies

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
6 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts -- optional

1. Combine ingredients in order given.
2. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet.
3. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.

Source:
"Jackie Fast"
Yield:
"3 1/2 dozen"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : The bad news is, these don't keep well. The good news is, they
won't have to!

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Siobhan Perricone > said:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:38:18 -0600, "Lewis Dodd" > wrote:
>
> > How do you make cookies that stay soft and chewy instead of getting
> >brittle and hard? What ingredient does that, molasses or what?

> Alton Brown did an entire episode on cookie recipe modifications to get
> different results from the same general recipe. Try looking at foodtv.com
> and searching for good eats chocolate chip cookie recipes.

I remember that episode -- he made "The Thin", "The Puffy", and "The
Chewy". The OP might also try the "Good Eats Fan Page", as they have
complete transcripts from the show:

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is

cookies crispy vs soft Wendy Baking 7 01-02-2006 07:17 PM
Soft Ginger Cookies Anna Free Recipes (moderated) 0 24-09-2005 12:59 PM
Soft Molasses Cookies Kristin Knaus Satterlee Recipes (moderated) 0 19-02-2005 05:03 AM
Soft Cookies Ed Thomas General Cooking 6 30-04-2004 07:05 PM
Soft Christmas Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 17-03-2004 07:58 PM