Default Superba Convection Oven Problem

Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but:

Did a prime rib roast last night.
Using the convection option for the first time, I inserted the temp probe
(the book said that the default temp for the probe was 160 which is medium
and since we wanted the roast to be medium I didnt change the probe temp).

The book says to set the temp of the oven to 300 which I did.

The book says that the display would show "low" until the temp of the roast
went to 130 and then would show the temp in 5 degree increments.

Cooking time without the probe would be about 1/2 hour per pound.

So I followed all the instructions and the display showed "low" for about 1
hour then it showed
"put" for the next hour. It never showed any temperature at all.
I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering to "put".
I even googled it and found nothing.

After a total of 2 hours I was getting a little nervous so I removed the
roast and let it stand for about 10 minutes. It was a perfect medium.
I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering to the
display value "put"

Does anyone know WTF "put" means and why the temperature never displayed?
This is a relativly new oven so I hope that there is nothing wrong with it..
Thanks
sharkman

--
..

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 24 Jan 2005 05:20:11a, wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but:
>
> Did a prime rib roast last night.
> Using the convection option for the first time, I inserted the temp
> probe (the book said that the default temp for the probe was 160 which
> is medium and since we wanted the roast to be medium I didnt change the
> probe temp).
>
> The book says to set the temp of the oven to 300 which I did.
>
> The book says that the display would show "low" until the temp of the
> roast went to 130 and then would show the temp in 5 degree increments.
>
> Cooking time without the probe would be about 1/2 hour per pound.
>
> So I followed all the instructions and the display showed "low" for
> about 1 hour then it showed
> "put" for the next hour. It never showed any temperature at all.
> I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering to
> "put". I even googled it and found nothing.
>
> After a total of 2 hours I was getting a little nervous so I removed the
> roast and let it stand for about 10 minutes. It was a perfect medium.
> I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering to
> the display value "put"
>
> Does anyone know WTF "put" means and why the temperature never
> displayed? This is a relativly new oven so I hope that there is nothing
> wrong with it.. Thanks
> sharkman

Sounds as though there might be a bad circuit or setting. I'd call Kitchen
Aid customer support.

Wayne
PENMART01

> "Sharkman writes:
>
> Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but:
>
>Did a prime rib roast last night.
>Using the convection option for the first time, I inserted the temp probe
>(the book said that the default temp for the probe was 160 which is medium
>and since we wanted the roast to be medium I didnt change the probe temp).
>
>The book says to set the temp of the oven to 300 which I did.
>
>The book says that the display would show "low" until the temp of the roast
>went to 130 and then would show the temp in 5 degree increments.
>
>Cooking time without the probe would be about 1/2 hour per pound.
>
>So I followed all the instructions and the display showed "low" for about 1
>hour then it showed
>"put" for the next hour. It never showed any temperature at all.
>I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering to "put".
>I even googled it and found nothing.
>
>After a total of 2 hours I was getting a little nervous so I removed the
>roast and let it stand for about 10 minutes. It was a perfect medium.
>I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering to the
>display value "put"
>
>Does anyone know WTF "put" means and why the temperature never displayed?
>This is a relativly new oven so I hope that there is nothing wrong with it..

WTF didn't you call the manufacturer? DUH!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Vox Humana

" > wrote in message
> Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but:
>
> Did a prime rib roast last night.
> Using the convection option for the first time, I inserted the temp probe
> (the book said that the default temp for the probe was 160 which is medium
> and since we wanted the roast to be medium I didnt change the probe temp).
>
> The book says to set the temp of the oven to 300 which I did.
>
> The book says that the display would show "low" until the temp of the

roast
> went to 130 and then would show the temp in 5 degree increments.
>
> Cooking time without the probe would be about 1/2 hour per pound.
>
> So I followed all the instructions and the display showed "low" for about

1
> hour then it showed
> "put" for the next hour. It never showed any temperature at all.
> I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering to

"put".
> I even googled it and found nothing.
>
> After a total of 2 hours I was getting a little nervous so I removed the
> roast and let it stand for about 10 minutes. It was a perfect medium.
> I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering to the
> display value "put"
>
> Does anyone know WTF "put" means and why the temperature never displayed?
> This is a relativly new oven so I hope that there is nothing wrong with

it..
> Thanks
> sharkman

It sounds like your have an electronic oven controller problem. Here are
the error codes of KA:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0078.asp#KitchenAid

As you can see "put" is not on the list. I have used that oven with the
probe (my mother has one.) As I recall, the display says "low" when the
probe is detecting temperatures below 100F. I would call KA right away and
get it checked out under warranty. Replacing the ERC can cost $300+ dollars.
Unfortunately, it seems to be a common cause of trouble in modern ranges off
all makes. Mixing electronics and heat isn't a good idea.

Thanks, I just got off the phone with them and they didn't have a clue as to
what it was either. They suggested that I cut the power to the oven and
possibly that would clear the fault.. The next time, prior to cooking a
roast, I'll try that.. Thanks for the error codes. The oven was puchased in
Nov. 2002 but I think the electronic display is still under warantee..
sharkman
--

Vox Humana wrote:
> " > wrote in message
>> Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but:
>>
>> Did a prime rib roast last night.
>> Using the convection option for the first time, I inserted the temp
>> probe (the book said that the default temp for the probe was 160
>> which is medium and since we wanted the roast to be medium I didnt
>> change the probe temp).
>>
>> The book says to set the temp of the oven to 300 which I did.
>>
>> The book says that the display would show "low" until the temp of
>> the roast went to 130 and then would show the temp in 5 degree
>> increments.
>>
>> Cooking time without the probe would be about 1/2 hour per pound.
>>
>> So I followed all the instructions and the display showed "low" for
>> about 1 hour then it showed
>> "put" for the next hour. It never showed any temperature at all.
>> I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering
>> to "put". I even googled it and found nothing.
>>
>> After a total of 2 hours I was getting a little nervous so I removed
>> the roast and let it stand for about 10 minutes. It was a perfect
>> medium.
>> I checked the book thoroughly and could not find anything refering
>> to the display value "put"
>>
>> Does anyone know WTF "put" means and why the temperature never
>> displayed? This is a relativly new oven so I hope that there is
>> nothing wrong with it.. Thanks
>> sharkman

> It sounds like your have an electronic oven controller problem. Here
> are the error codes of KA:
> http://www.repairclinic.com/0078.asp#KitchenAid
>
> As you can see "put" is not on the list. I have used that oven with
> the probe (my mother has one.) As I recall, the display says "low"
> when the probe is detecting temperatures below 100F. I would call KA
> right away and get it checked out under warranty. Replacing the ERC
> can cost $300+ dollars. Unfortunately, it seems to be a common cause
> of trouble in modern ranges off all makes. Mixing electronics and
> heat isn't a good idea.

Vox Humana

" > wrote in message
> Thanks, I just got off the phone with them and they didn't have a clue as

> what it was either. They suggested that I cut the power to the oven and
> possibly that would clear the fault.. The next time, prior to cooking a
> roast, I'll try that.. Thanks for the error codes. The oven was puchased

in
> Nov. 2002 but I think the electronic display is still under warantee..
> sharkman
> --

I would try again immediately. You could always put the probe into a cold
hotdog or an oven-safe container of tap water and turn on the oven. The big
problem that I see is that the display had an bogus code. It would be bad
enough that it had any code, but "put" shouldn't even be in its vocabulary.
You might post over at rec.food.equipment. I know that others have had ERC
problems with this range.