doug ventura

Default Advice on Regional Specialties in Genoa, Italy

Hello RFC,

I'm planning a trip to the Genoa area and I thought I'd consult with this
knowledgable group. Are there any regional specialties, besides the obvious
salumi, that should not be missed? Any specific restaurant recommendations?
Wish I had Mario's phone number.....

Doug from Massachusetts

Cucina-italiana.net

Pesto is the regional specialty in Genova, spghetti al pesto are the
thing. Also "fritto misto" or any other kind of fish, they usually
serve the catch of the day at local restaurants.

Look at: http://www.cucina-italiana.net/liguria.html for a good place
where youy can spend a couple of days: the "Cinque Terre". It is a
short train ride from Genova. (You can also find recipes on regional
Italian cooking on this site).

Enjoy your trip,

Enrico

Victor Sack

doug ventura > wrote:

> I'm planning a trip to the Genoa area and I thought I'd consult with this
> knowledgable group. Are there any regional specialties, besides the obvious
> salumi, that should not be missed?

A few years ago I posted the following in response to a similar
question:

- anything with pesto
- anything that has 'genovese' in its name
- focaccia
- cappon magro (a hard-to-describe, complex layered concoction...
something between a salad and a kind of pté... made of vegetables and
seafood)
- torta pasqualina (a kind of savoury layered pasta cake, made with
vegetables and ricotta)
- minestrone alla genovese (again made with pesto)
- buridda (a fish soup/stew)
- many other fish soups (zuppa/zuppetta di mare, ciuppin)
- orata (gilthead bream, a very tasty fish) dishes are very popular
- sbira (a tripe soup/stew with potatoes)
- wines: Rossese di Dolceacqua, Pigato, Vermentino, Cinqueterre,
Coronata

Victor