Frogleg

Default Rescue bad brie?

Got a wedge of President brie yesterday that gave a bit through the
(opaque) wrapper. Left it on the counter overnight and opened it this
morning. The cut sides are covered in the white mold; the interior has
pockets of well-established mold; and the consistency is roughly the
same as a well-done steak. Yes, I know. Never again. Cheese options
are few and far between here, and I took a chance.

Q: is there any magic formula to get this over-age, under-ripe lump to
become edible, or am I going to have to schlep back across town to
return it?
Darkginger

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> Got a wedge of President brie yesterday that gave a bit through the
> (opaque) wrapper. Left it on the counter overnight and opened it this
> morning. The cut sides are covered in the white mold; the interior has
> pockets of well-established mold; and the consistency is roughly the
> same as a well-done steak. Yes, I know. Never again. Cheese options
> are few and far between here, and I took a chance.
>
> Q: is there any magic formula to get this over-age, under-ripe lump to
> become edible, or am I going to have to schlep back across town to
> return it?

I can't think of anything you could do to rescue your Brie, I'm afraid to
say. Usually I find the opposite problem - cheese that's sold too young, and
has to be kept for at least a week before it goes gloopy. Once it leaves the
gloopy stage and solidifies, not only does it look 'orrible, it tastes like
old socks. Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings!

(on the other hand, if anyone knows different, I'd be delighted to hear it!)

Jo

---

limey

"Darkginger" wrote in message

> "Frogleg" wrote in message
> > > Got a wedge of President brie yesterday that gave a bit through the

> > (opaque) wrapper. Left it on the counter overnight and opened it this
> > morning. The cut sides are covered in the white mold; the interior has
> > pockets of well-established mold; and the consistency is roughly the
> > same as a well-done steak. Yes, I know. Never again. Cheese options
> > are few and far between here, and I took a chance.
> >
> > Q: is there any magic formula to get this over-age, under-ripe lump to
> > become edible, or am I going to have to schlep back across town to
> > return it?

> I can't think of anything you could do to rescue your Brie, I'm afraid to
> say. Usually I find the opposite problem - cheese that's sold too young,

and
> has to be kept for at least a week before it goes gloopy. Once it leaves

the
> gloopy stage and solidifies, not only does it look 'orrible, it tastes

like
> old socks. Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings!
>
> (on the other hand, if anyone knows different, I'd be delighted to hear

it!)

> Jo

First - Frogleg, I love cheese and have heard all the arguments about its
being fine even if it's covered in mold, but if the mold is on the inside, I
think your only recourse is to do that schlep across town.

Second - to Jo -

Funny you should say. I bought some Brie which was way too young. I stuck
it in the refrigerator and totally forgot it for some time. When I dug it
out again, it tasted exactly like Saga, which is Swedish (I believe) and
quite a premium cheese.
"Old socks"? Pretty good description - but remember, I love Roquefort,
Limburger, Stilton and gorgonzola, so the smellier the better. :-)

Dora

sf

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:15:59 GMT, Frogleg
> wrote:

> Got a wedge of President brie yesterday that gave a bit through the
> (opaque) wrapper. Left it on the counter overnight and opened it this
> morning. The cut sides are covered in the white mold; the interior has
> pockets of well-established mold; and the consistency is roughly the
> same as a well-done steak. Yes, I know. Never again. Cheese options
> are few and far between here, and I took a chance.
>
> Q: is there any magic formula to get this over-age, under-ripe lump to
> become edible, or am I going to have to schlep back across town to
> return it?

You have a choice: return it or toss it.

Frogleg

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:30:29 -0500, "limey" >
wrote:

>> > (opaque) wrapper. Left it on the counter overnight and opened it this
>> > morning. The cut sides are covered in the white mold; the interior has
>> > pockets of well-established mold; and the consistency is roughly the
>> > same as a well-done steak. Yes, I know. Never again. Cheese options
>> > are few and far between here, and I took a chance.

>First - Frogleg, I love cheese and have heard all the arguments about its
>being fine even if it's covered in mold, but if the mold is on the inside, I
>think your only recourse is to do that schlep across town.

Sorry for not describing it better. This wasn't blue or black mold,
but the white fuzz mold that eventually creates brie's 'crust'. The
cheese wasn't too young. It was evidently packaged under-ripe too long
ago. Oh, for a "reputable cheese merchant" close to home!

Steve Knight

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:15:59 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>Got a wedge of President brie yesterday that gave a bit through the
>(opaque) wrapper. Left it on the counter overnight and opened it this
>morning.

well since that cheese is never very good anyway it's hard to improve it (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes