FoodBanter.com

-   -   convection/microwave ovens (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/49876-convection-microwave-ovens.html)

Denise G. 01-01-2005 01:54 AM

convection/microwave ovens

I need a new microwave oven. I have seen some with a convention oven.
Is it worth the extra money to have both in one? Do they work well? Are
they gimmicky or a good idea?

Denise in NH

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms 01-01-2005 03:24 AM

(Denise=A0G.) writes:
>I need a new microwave oven. I have
>seen some with a convention oven. Is it
>worth the extra money to have both in
>one? Do they work well? Are they
>gimmicky or a good idea?

I have had my Sharp Carousel Convection Oven (microwave) for over 10
years now, and I would never want to be without one. For oven roasting
or baking, I use it's convection oven feature about 95% of the time over
my stove's gas oven, and because it operates with "convection" heat,k it
cooks much faster than does the bigger gas oven. In fact, the only time
I use my stove oven is when what I'm wanting will not fit inside the
convection, or when I'm baking cookies. I probably only use the
microwave function of it for minutes per week, yet the convection is
used near to daily. If you are cooking in amounts that cannot fit comfy
inside the convection/micro, perhaps this oven would not be as useful to
you as it is for me, but even then it's convenience and faster heating
for smaller dishes and/or leftovers make it an extremely useful
appliance.

Picky ~JA~

JimLane 01-01-2005 05:03 AM

Denise G. wrote:
> I need a new microwave oven. I have seen some with a convention oven.
> Is it worth the extra money to have both in one? Do they work well? Are
> they gimmicky or a good idea?
>
> Denise in NH

Didn't we just answer this same question? I love my Panasonic Dimension.

jim

Bob 01-01-2005 10:13 AM

JA wrote:

> I have had my Sharp Carousel Convection Oven (microwave) for over 10
> years now, and I would never want to be without one. For oven roasting
> or baking, I use it's convection oven feature about 95% of the time over
> my stove's gas oven, and because it operates with "convection" heat,k it
> cooks much faster than does the bigger gas oven. In fact, the only time
> I use my stove oven is when what I'm wanting will not fit inside the
> convection, or when I'm baking cookies. I probably only use the
> microwave function of it for minutes per week, yet the convection is
> used near to daily.

Like JA, I'm very happy with my Sharp Carousel Microwave/Convection Oven.
I've also had it for over 10 years, although I don't use it nearly as often
as she does. It particularly excels at roasting chicken parts.

The cookbook that comes with the oven does a pretty good job of explaining
what you can expect from the different modes of the oven, and it also
contains some fairly good recipes.

Bob

Bob 01-01-2005 10:13 AM

Carol In WI 01-01-2005 01:36 PM

I am going to get a convention oven, it's just the 2 of us now and I can't
see the sense of heating up a big oven for small portions of food. JC
Pennys has a catalog that has one on for sale at $20, in like 3 different
colors. Got one for my daughter's apartment, she rooms with 2 others and
when they're not around, she just cooks for herself and uses that or the the
microwave. Carol In WI

Denise G. 02-01-2005 01:30 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm going to buy one within the
week. If I need to replace my microwave anyways, I may as well have
something new to try.

I've done a lot of microwave replacing lately. My church had a massive
power surge a couple of weeks ago and all four of our microwaves got
fried. Touchy little things <g>. Luckily the organs and computers were
on surge protectors.

Thanks again for the responses both her and privately.

Denise in NH