Raj V

Default English Toffee Question

Tried making English toffee for the first time this afternoon. Don't have a
thermometer and have never been able to determine the "cracking" stage.
Never the less, I soldiered on and it was looking pretty good. I was about
to pour it in the cookie pan when I noticed that it looked like the butter
was starting to separate from the mix. I poured it and spread it out, but
when I scored it after cooling a bit the scores had a very oily look. I
spread the chocolate and added the nuts anyway. I have it outside cooling
(supposed to get into the 20's tonight in Houston) so I haven't tried it
yet. It this a problem if overcooked?

I know, I know, I'm getting one of those digital cooking thermometers on a
long wire for baking. I can't see why it wouldn't work for candy too??

Raj

Vox Humana

"Raj V" > wrote in message
> Tried making English toffee for the first time this afternoon. Don't have

> thermometer and have never been able to determine the "cracking" stage.
> Never the less, I soldiered on and it was looking pretty good. I was about
> to pour it in the cookie pan when I noticed that it looked like the butter
> was starting to separate from the mix. I poured it and spread it out, but
> when I scored it after cooling a bit the scores had a very oily look. I
> spread the chocolate and added the nuts anyway. I have it outside cooling
> (supposed to get into the 20's tonight in Houston) so I haven't tried it
> yet. It this a problem if overcooked?
>
> I know, I know, I'm getting one of those digital cooking thermometers on a
> long wire for baking. I can't see why it wouldn't work for candy too??

As I recall, the surface is a bit oily. I think what you experienced was
normal. I have a digital probe thermometer that I got at Meijer for $9.99
It has been wonderful and works for candy and deep fat frying. I believe
it goes up to 400F.

Vox Humana

"Raj V" > wrote in message
> Tried making English toffee for the first time this afternoon. Don't have

> thermometer and have never been able to determine the "cracking" stage.
> Never the less, I soldiered on and it was looking pretty good. I was about
> to pour it in the cookie pan when I noticed that it looked like the butter
> was starting to separate from the mix. I poured it and spread it out, but
> when I scored it after cooling a bit the scores had a very oily look. I
> spread the chocolate and added the nuts anyway. I have it outside cooling
> (supposed to get into the 20's tonight in Houston) so I haven't tried it
> yet. It this a problem if overcooked?
>
> I know, I know, I'm getting one of those digital cooking thermometers on a
> long wire for baking. I can't see why it wouldn't work for candy too??

As I recall, the surface is a bit oily. I think what you experienced was
normal. I have a digital probe thermometer that I got at Meijer for $9.99
It has been wonderful and works for candy and deep fat frying. I believe
it goes up to 400F.

Raj V

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms wrote

>No, no, no. A meat thermometer and a candy thermometer are not to be

interchanged. You will want to get both kinds.

Wow, 29 Palms brings back memories. Are you there with the Marine Corps?

Anyway, out of curiosity, why can't they be interchanged?

Regards,
Raj

Raj V

My Toffee did not turn out at all well. Really soft in the places where it
looked like the butter was coming out, but not hard enough in the other
places either. A former boss' wife made toffee as brittle as Heath Bars but
tasted even better. I was going to give this to a neighbor but will send it
with my wife as the crew of nurses she works with will eat anything :-).
What does it take to get toffee the consistency of a Heath Bar?

TIA,
Raj

"Raj V" > wrote in message
> Tried making English toffee for the first time this afternoon. Don't have

> thermometer and have never been able to determine the "cracking" stage.
> Never the less, I soldiered on and it was looking pretty good. I was about
> to pour it in the cookie pan when I noticed that it looked like the butter
> was starting to separate from the mix. I poured it and spread it out, but
> when I scored it after cooling a bit the scores had a very oily look. I
> spread the chocolate and added the nuts anyway. I have it outside cooling
> (supposed to get into the 20's tonight in Houston) so I haven't tried it
> yet. It this a problem if overcooked?
>
> I know, I know, I'm getting one of those digital cooking thermometers on a
> long wire for baking. I can't see why it wouldn't work for candy too??
>
> Raj

Scott

In article >,
"Raj V" > wrote:

> Tried making English toffee for the first time this afternoon. Don't have a
> thermometer and have never been able to determine the "cracking" stage.
> Never the less, I soldiered on and it was looking pretty good. I was about
> to pour it in the cookie pan when I noticed that it looked like the butter
> was starting to separate from the mix. I poured it and spread it out, but
> when I scored it after cooling a bit the scores had a very oily look. I
> spread the chocolate and added the nuts anyway. I have it outside cooling
> (supposed to get into the 20's tonight in Houston) so I haven't tried it
> yet. It this a problem if overcooked?

Did the recipe call for added water? Recipes that have water added help
the temperature rise further before the sugar solution becomes
super-saturated; this reduced the chances of separation.

Mixing is a strange thing. It seems that you can often mix the separated
butter back in, but mixing too much otherwise can make the butter
separate. Don't mix between 212 and 236 F. Use medium heat. High heat
seems to promote separation. There are other good tips he

<http://www.landolakes.com/common/ShowTopic.cfm?TopicID=58&QCategoryID=7>

> I know, I know, I'm getting one of those digital cooking thermometers on a
> long wire for baking. I can't see why it wouldn't work for candy too??

As you can see above, having a thermometer HELPS TREMENDOUSLY. I don't
believe the meat-style thermometers are appropriate. Not only is there
no way to affix them to the pan, I'm not sure if they read quickly
enough.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

I am the only one in my family of many cooks who continues to make our
great-grandmother's wonderful candy, but I do have three teenage girls
nearby enough to perhaps convince one of them to take this expected
every Christmas family "duty" over soon. As long as the directions are
followed exactly, all ingredients are set up for the ready, and a
quality candy thermometer is used, this is quite simple to make.

Great Gramma Bessonnett's English Toffee
COMBINE in saucepan:
2 cups butter
1-1/2 cups white table sugar
1 cup room temperature water
1-1/2 teaspoons table salt
COOK over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Cook
without stirring to 236=B0. Continue to cook, stirring constantly to
290=B0. Remove from heat and add 3/4 teaspoon baking soda. Stir the soda
in rapidly, and pour the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet (use butter
papers to grease the sheet).
Cover with chocolate chips, gently spreading them over when they've
begun to melt (the mini-chips work terrific for this, but are not
required).
Top with finely chopped almonds, or whatever other nuts you may care to.
Walnuts are common, pecans are nice, but almonds seem to get the most
raves.
When the toffee has completely cooled and a gentle finger-nudge to the
chocolate does not leave a print, it's ready to break apart. Simply lift
one end and break into no bigger than 2" peices for layering onto a
serving tray, or for layering into a box for giving or for countertop
storing.
Best place to set the sheet out of the way to cool while a second batch
may be being made is atop a garage washer or dryer not in use. The
appliance's cold metal generates through the metal sheet's bottom and
helps the toffee cool enough for breaking fastest.

Picky ~JA~

Raj V

Many thanks to Scott and Picky ~JA~

Even though I've used the internet since 1992 (pre www - telnet, Gopher,
FTP, Archie, , etc.) I'm always amazed at the expertise and willingness of
people to help on almost any topic. I'll try this candy one more time, with
a candy thermometer.

Best regards
Raj

English Toffee 3 Tim Recipes 0 20-07-2005 09:58 AM
English Toffee 2 Tim Recipes 0 20-07-2005 09:57 AM
English Toffee Tim Recipes 0 20-07-2005 09:57 AM
English Toffee, need help! JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms General Cooking 6 09-04-2005 02:55 PM
English Toffee Question Raj V General Cooking 0 22-12-2004 11:31 PM