Dawn

Default the Pampered Chef is holding us hostage

Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.

One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.

Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?

Dawn

Reg

Dawn wrote:

> Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
> all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
>
> One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
> boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
> her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
> because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
>
> Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
> as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?

So not only do you feel obligated to waste your time on it, you feel
obligated to buy something? I think it's time to stand up for yourself,
don't you?

MLM is a disgrace and you're not obligated to do anything, especially
for people trying to make money off friends and family.

Vox Humana

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
> all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
>
> One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
> boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
> her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
> because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
>
> Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
> as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?

Don't go.
Just say NO.
Take a catalog from a competitor and ask them to "price match."
Take along a Girl Scout/Avon rep./Amway rep. and ask the host to buy from
them

kilikini

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
> all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
>
> One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
> boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
> her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
> because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
>
> Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
> as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?
>

> Dawn

I'll probably get a ton of flames for this, but I actually *like* Pampered
Chef stuff. Most of the gadgets are stainless steel (which is invaluable
here in Hawaii - everything else rusts within months) and seem to be pretty
solid. So far, the one main thing that I don't think is quite up to
expectations is the hand-held food dicer. You know, one of those things
that has blades that work by you slamming your hand on the top.....
Everything else from my pizza stone, to my garlic press, to my can opener
(which I LOVE), to my spatulas, to my bamboo spoons, to my stone roasting
dish, to my cheese grater, etc. It all works!

kilikini

Curly Sue

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:13:55 -0600, Dawn >
wrote:

>Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
>all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
>
>One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
>boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
>her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
>because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
>
>Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
>as possible?

Simple, keep your mind focused on the situation: walk in there
reminding yourself that you are going to keep your friend company
-that is the favor- and buying something at the party is not a favor
to her. Pretend you are going with her to buy a car- would you feel
obligated to buy a car too? ;>

But, keep an open mind and you might find something that you really
can't do without!

Sue(tm)

Vox Humana

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "Dawn" > wrote in message
> > Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
> > all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
> >
> > One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
> > boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
> > her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
> > because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
> >
> > Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
> > as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?
> >

> > Dawn
> >

> I'll probably get a ton of flames for this, but I actually *like* Pampered
> Chef stuff. Most of the gadgets are stainless steel (which is invaluable
> here in Hawaii - everything else rusts within months) and seem to be

pretty
> solid. So far, the one main thing that I don't think is quite up to
> expectations is the hand-held food dicer. You know, one of those things
> that has blades that work by you slamming your hand on the top.....
> Everything else from my pizza stone, to my garlic press, to my can opener
> (which I LOVE), to my spatulas, to my bamboo spoons, to my stone roasting
> dish, to my cheese grater, etc. It all works!

There are other sources for good kitchen equipment. If you don't mind
paying big bucks for quality items, check out Rosle. All their stuff is SS,
well make, and pricey.
http://www.complementstothechef.com/...sle_tools.html
http://www.cooking.com/products/bran...sle/r_home.asp
http://www.nextag.com/buyer/outpdir....y&search=rosle

Vox Humana

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:13:55 -0600, Dawn >
> wrote:
>
> >Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
> >all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
> >
> >One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
> >boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
> >her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
> >because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
> >
> >Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
> >as possible?

> Simple, keep your mind focused on the situation: walk in there
> reminding yourself that you are going to keep your friend company
> -that is the favor- and buying something at the party is not a favor
> to her. Pretend you are going with her to buy a car- would you feel
> obligated to buy a car too? ;>
>
> But, keep an open mind and you might find something that you really
> can't do without!

But, if you don't already have it, you can obviously do without it!

Julia Altshuler

Let me get the facts straight first. Is this multilevel marketing where
you're invited to the party and encouraged to become a distributor or
sales associate or whatever they call it meaning that you'll be selling
the stuff and giving a percentage of your sales profits to those folks
up the line as in a chain letter or pyramid scheme? Or is this a
situation where you're invited to the party with the expectation that
you'll buy merchandise, but you don't have to?

I ask because my best survival tactic is cultivating the right sort of
outrage. I never feel guilty when I'm outraged. Normally, when someone
invites me to a nice social event, I like to pay them back, not dime for
dime, tit for tat, but I do like to see if there's some nice thing I can
in return. These money making schemes are based on that. They figure
that if they invite you over for tea and cookies, you'll want to pay
them back by buying merchandise. As soon a I realize that someone
expects to make money on me, I do little damage to my wallet by becoming
outraged that someone would have so little manners as to invite me over
with the hopes of making money off me. Once I realize that it is their
social faux pas, it doesn't bother me at all to go or not as I choose,
eat the cookies, socialize and then not buy a thing. I'd opt for not
going at all especially since this involves setting a precedent with a
friend's boyfriend's sister who may decide that you're in the money from
here on out and expect you to make regular donations. This is another
variation on the Entertainment book thread in which "A" extends what
seems like a social favor of getting a sandwich but is really making
money off of "B" by using a coupon.

--Lia

Dawn wrote:
> Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
> all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
>
> One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
> boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
> her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
> because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
>
> Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
> as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?

Darryl L. Pierce,,,

Dawn wrote:

> Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
> all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
>
> One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
> boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
> her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
> because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
>
> Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
> as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?

Coma. Just slip into unconsciousness about a day before and don't wake up
until the day after. You'll get out of the party *and* get some rest!

Seriously, just decline. "No, I'm sorry, but I'm not interested". Tell your
friend to do the same. Honesty could be the best bet here.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
kilikini

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dawn" > wrote in message

(snip)

> > I'll probably get a ton of flames for this, but I actually *like*

Pampered
> > Chef stuff. Most of the gadgets are stainless steel (which is

invaluable
> > here in Hawaii - everything else rusts within months) and seem to be

> pretty
> > solid. So far, the one main thing that I don't think is quite up to
> > expectations is the hand-held food dicer. You know, one of those things
> > that has blades that work by you slamming your hand on the top.....
> > Everything else from my pizza stone, to my garlic press, to my can

opener
> > (which I LOVE), to my spatulas, to my bamboo spoons, to my stone

roasting
> > dish, to my cheese grater, etc. It all works!

> There are other sources for good kitchen equipment. If you don't mind
> paying big bucks for quality items, check out Rosle. All their stuff is

SS,
> well make, and pricey.
> http://www.complementstothechef.com/...sle_tools.html
> http://www.cooking.com/products/bran...sle/r_home.asp

http://www.nextag.com/buyer/outpdir....29D591&doSearc
h=y&node=2700400&dosearch=y&search=rosle

Oh, I mind paying big bucks! <g> I'm living on $1500 a month and renting a
$1300 a month apartment! I should have said that all of my pampered chef
items were given to me as gifts. I really don't know how much they cost,
but I use them daily and I like them. They've been holding up for the past
3 years.

kilikini

jmcquown

Reg wrote:
> Dawn wrote:
>
>> Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties'
>> for all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
>>
>> One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
>> boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along
>> Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the
>> wallet as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable
>> cost?

> So not only do you feel obligated to waste your time on it, you feel
> obligated to buy something? I think it's time to stand up for
> yourself, don't you?
>
> MLM is a disgrace and you're not obligated to do anything, especially
> for people trying to make money off friends and family.

Agreed, Reg. I hate that. At least 4 people at any given time at the
office are holding a Pampered Chef party. UH, NO, thank you. Besides, if
you buy from one you feel you have to buy from them *all*. Nope.

Get this: someone reserved a conference room and held one of these at the
office right before Christmas. Walked around saying, "There's food in that
room." When you walked in, oh, yes, here's the pot we microwaved that corn
on the cob in. And don't you love these crab appetizers? Here's the
catalog, what would you like to order? Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Jill

Lorne Epp

wrote:

>Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
>as possible?

Sneak out the bathroom window.
Reg

jmcquown wrote:

> Agreed, Reg. I hate that. At least 4 people at any given time at the
> office are holding a Pampered Chef party. UH, NO, thank you. Besides, if
> you buy from one you feel you have to buy from them *all*. Nope.
>
> Get this: someone reserved a conference room and held one of these at the
> office right before Christmas. Walked around saying, "There's food in that
> room." When you walked in, oh, yes, here's the pot we microwaved that corn
> on the cob in. And don't you love these crab appetizers? Here's the
> catalog, what would you like to order? Tacky, tacky, tacky.

I've never heard of this infiltrating the workplace. I'm surprised
management puts up with it.

I've actually known people who've made invites to these "parties"
and been less than upfront about what it really is. I think there's
something about MLM that promotes abandonment of morals and self
respect. What do expect from people who've decided to convert
friends and family into a profit center?

Virginia Tadrzynski

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
> all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
>
> One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
> boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
> her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
> because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
>
> Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
> as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?
>

> Dawn

Well, in the girlfriends instance, she could beg off buying anything saying
'I'm saving for a really big wedding bash, I will, however, graciously give
hints as to what I would like for shower gifts. You could indicate that
you are accompanying her to take notes only. This could serve two
functions:

1. The hostest would think she is ballsy enough to come right out and say
what she would like as a gift, but could be reminded that she is ballsy
enough to try to grift a future in-law.

2. If the relationship with the boyfriend is stagnant, this could either a-
send his mother, sister, et. al to the phone to ask 'why didn't you tell us
you were getting married' and force a sh*t of git offen the pot ultimatum
indirectly to the boyfriend or b-let him know you are planning a future,
with or without him.

Worth the effort.

-Ginny
Who occassionally likes being sneaky.

Jeff Bienstadt

Reg wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Agreed, Reg. I hate that. At least 4 people at any given time at the
>> office are holding a Pampered Chef party. UH, NO, thank you. Besides,
>> if
>> you buy from one you feel you have to buy from them *all*. Nope.
>>
>> Get this: someone reserved a conference room and held one of these at the
>> office right before Christmas. Walked around saying, "There's food in
>> that room." When you walked in, oh, yes, here's the pot we microwaved
>> that corn
>> on the cob in. And don't you love these crab appetizers? Here's the
>> catalog, what would you like to order? Tacky, tacky, tacky.

> I've never heard of this infiltrating the workplace. I'm surprised
> management puts up with it.
>
> I've actually known people who've made invites to these "parties"
> and been less than upfront about what it really is. I think there's
> something about MLM that promotes abandonment of morals and self
> respect. What do expect from people who've decided to convert
> friends and family into a profit center?

Several years ago, my wife (at the time) and I were invited to dinner at a
friend's home. Once we were at the table and eating dinner they began to
pitch us on Amway. We listened politely, but declined to join the Amway
experience (or whatever the Hell they call it).

We never heard from them again.

This is one of the main reasons I refuse to get involved in MLM --- you're
expected to turn your friends into marks.

---jkb

--
"Thank you, come again. Smithers, release the hounds."
-- Montgomery Burns

Jarkat2002

>Ok, I generally avoid these kinds of multilevel marketing 'parties' for
>all the obvious reasons, but I need some survival advice.
>
>One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
>boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along with
>her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got chosen
>because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
>
>Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
>as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?
>

>Dawn

I bought a hand soap dispenser and a vegetable peeler ... $15 for both I think.
I hate 'seller' parties w/ a passion and avoid them as much as possible
~Kat

What did my hands do before they held you?
Sylvia Plath (1932 - 1963)
jmcquown

Reg wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Get this: someone reserved a conference room and held one of these
>> at the office right before Christmas. Walked around saying,
>> "There's food in that room." When you walked in, oh, yes, here's the
>> pot we microwaved that corn on the cob in. And don't you love these
>> crab appetizers? Here's the catalog, what would you like to order?
>> Tacky, tacky, tacky.

> I've never heard of this infiltrating the workplace. I'm surprised
> management puts up with it.

Management was largely invisible right before the holidays. Those who were
around probably assumed it was just another food-related gathering and
weren't hit up with the marketing chat. Several different department
supervisors were participants in the shebang, though, but I'm not sure who
the 'sales rep' in the group was.

What was funny was that "microwave pot" used to cook the corn on the cob.
Corn on the cob, of course, is not in season in December even in the
Southern U.S. I said, "Huh, I don't need a special pot to cook frozen Green
Giant coblets in... in fact, damp paper towels work just fine, thanks." LOL

Jill

Nancy Young

Jeff Bienstadt wrote:

> Several years ago, my wife (at the time) and I were invited to dinner at a
> friend's home. Once we were at the table and eating dinner they began to
> pitch us on Amway. We listened politely, but declined to join the Amway
> experience (or whatever the Hell they call it).
>
> We never heard from them again.
>
> This is one of the main reasons I refuse to get involved in MLM --- you're
> expected to turn your friends into marks.

Grrrr. I've had friends have their feelings hurt over the invite to
dinner, then it was really just a pitch. I don't know who has the
guts to do that to their 'friends'. Cold.

nancy
Elaine Goldberg

kilikini wrote:

>Oh, I have the vegetable peeler too! It
> works much better than my Ecko.

You're lucky. When I tried using my hard boiled egg slicer on mushrooms
(per their suggestion, and wrong side 'up' like I was supposed to do)
.....the wires sprung.

When I called the rep to see if they'd give me a replacement or
'something'......all I got was "Gee, that's too bad. Sorry I can't help
you"! Lousy customer service. I expected better considering what they
charge for the stuff.

Elaine

kilikini

"Elaine Goldberg" > wrote in message

> kilikini wrote:
>
> >Oh, I have the vegetable peeler too! It
> > works much better than my Ecko.

> You're lucky. When I tried using my hard boiled egg slicer on mushrooms
> (per their suggestion, and wrong side 'up' like I was supposed to do)
> ....the wires sprung.
>
> When I called the rep to see if they'd give me a replacement or
> 'something'......all I got was "Gee, that's too bad. Sorry I can't help
> you"! Lousy customer service. I expected better considering what they
> charge for the stuff.
>
> Elaine

I've had their egg slicer for about 3 years. NO problems. It cleans up
really easily and if you break a string, supposedly you can get a
replacement. Don't know how you'd attach it tho.

kili

Dawn

kilikini wrote:

> Oh, I have the vegetable peeler too! It works much better than my Ecko.
> kilikini

Just about anything will work better than the Ecko brand.

Dawn

Dawn

> Well, in the girlfriends instance, she could beg off buying anything saying
> 'I'm saving for a really big wedding bash, I will, however, graciously give
> hints as to what I would like for shower gifts. You could indicate that
> you are accompanying her to take notes only. This could serve two
> functions:
>
> 1. The hostest would think she is ballsy enough to come right out and say
> what she would like as a gift, but could be reminded that she is ballsy
> enough to try to grift a future in-law.

Ginny, I think you nailed this one. Thanks for the tip.

Dawn

Dawn

> Pretend you are going with her to buy a car- would you feel
> obligated to buy a car too? ;>

Ah. Thanks for the reality check.

Dawn

JLove98905

if you do opt to buy something small and inocuous, DON'T get the cheese knife.
It's the poorest design I've ever seen. It's a good, flat, broad knife, great
for cutting slices up and down. But, it also has a planer built into the blade.
The idea is that you hold the knife parallel to the plate and pull back on it,
so the blade planes the cheese. Unfortunately, the side of the knife you have
to hold to push the planer is the blade side! I've had OK luck with some of
their other stuff- I also had to go to a party once, and decided to see for
myself if I like the products. The pizza stone works well.

-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Vox Humana

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> if you do opt to buy something small and inocuous, DON'T get the cheese

knife.
> It's the poorest design I've ever seen. It's a good, flat, broad knife,

great
> for cutting slices up and down. But, it also has a planer built into the

blade.
> The idea is that you hold the knife parallel to the plate and pull back on

it,
> so the blade planes the cheese. Unfortunately, the side of the knife you

have
> to hold to push the planer is the blade side! I've had OK luck with some

of
> their other stuff- I also had to go to a party once, and decided to see

for
> myself if I like the products. The pizza stone works well.

People have posted that the PC pizza stone comes with instructions that say
not to pre-heat it. If that is true, I can't see how it would be very good.

Maverick

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> if you do opt to buy something small and inocuous, DON'T get the cheese

knife.
> It's the poorest design I've ever seen. It's a good, flat, broad knife,

great
> for cutting slices up and down. But, it also has a planer built into the

blade.
> The idea is that you hold the knife parallel to the plate and pull back on

it,
> so the blade planes the cheese. Unfortunately, the side of the knife you

have
> to hold to push the planer is the blade side! I've had OK luck with some

of
> their other stuff- I also had to go to a party once, and decided to see

for
> myself if I like the products. The pizza stone works well.
>
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Don't have the pizza stone though I want one. I do however have their knife
set that comes with the self-sharpening holders. I really like them...then
I got a set of Wustoff(sp) knives. I now know the difference between a
decent knife and an excellent knife...

Bret

Nancy Young

Vox Humana wrote:

> People have posted that the PC pizza stone comes with instructions that say
> not to pre-heat it. If that is true, I can't see how it would be very good.

Mine just sits in the oven. It's fine.

nancy
D.Currie

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> if you do opt to buy something small and inocuous, DON'T get the cheese

knife.
> It's the poorest design I've ever seen. It's a good, flat, broad knife,

great
> for cutting slices up and down. But, it also has a planer built into the

blade.
> The idea is that you hold the knife parallel to the plate and pull back on

it,
> so the blade planes the cheese. Unfortunately, the side of the knife you

have
> to hold to push the planer is the blade side! I've had OK luck with some

of
> their other stuff- I also had to go to a party once, and decided to see

for
> myself if I like the products. The pizza stone works well.
>
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

I just picked up a Pampered Chef rectangular stone baking thing at a thrift
store for $1.49. Apparently never used. Probably purchased by someone who
felt obligated to buy.

But at least I got a good deal!

Donna

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dawn
> wrote:
>
> Anyway, how does one get out of this with as little damage to the wallet
> as possible? Does this company sell anything at a reasonable cost?
> Dawn

Don't buy anything. If you allow yourself to be held up or shamed into
buying something you don't need, don't bellyache about it. "Gee,
there's nothing I need right now, thanks." It works every time.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
kilikini

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "JLove98905" > wrote in message
> > if you do opt to buy something small and inocuous, DON'T get the cheese

> knife.
> > It's the poorest design I've ever seen. It's a good, flat, broad knife,

> great
> > for cutting slices up and down. But, it also has a planer built into the

> blade.
> > The idea is that you hold the knife parallel to the plate and pull back

on
> it,
> > so the blade planes the cheese. Unfortunately, the side of the knife you

> have
> > to hold to push the planer is the blade side! I've had OK luck with some

> of
> > their other stuff- I also had to go to a party once, and decided to see

> for
> > myself if I like the products. The pizza stone works well.
> >

> People have posted that the PC pizza stone comes with instructions that

say
> not to pre-heat it. If that is true, I can't see how it would be very

good.

I preheat mine. Works just fine.
kilikini

kilikini

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> "JLove98905" > wrote in message
> > if you do opt to buy something small and inocuous, DON'T get the cheese

> knife.
> > It's the poorest design I've ever seen. It's a good, flat, broad knife,

> great
> > for cutting slices up and down. But, it also has a planer built into the

> blade.
> > The idea is that you hold the knife parallel to the plate and pull back

on
> it,
> > so the blade planes the cheese. Unfortunately, the side of the knife you

> have
> > to hold to push the planer is the blade side! I've had OK luck with some

> of
> > their other stuff- I also had to go to a party once, and decided to see

> for
> > myself if I like the products. The pizza stone works well.
> >
> > -Jen
> > Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright
> >

> I just picked up a Pampered Chef rectangular stone baking thing at a

thrift
> store for $1.49. Apparently never used. Probably purchased by someone who
> felt obligated to buy.
>
> But at least I got a good deal!
>
> Donna

Donna, I have one of those too. I use it for breads, cookies, everything.
Mine is about 5 years old and well used!
kilikini

Melba's Jammin'

Lia said this:

> I ask because my best survival tactic is cultivating the right sort of
> outrage. I never feel guilty when I'm outraged. Normally, when someone
> invites me to a nice social event, I like to pay them back, not dime for
> dime, tit for tat, but I do like to see if there's some nice thing I can
> in return. These money making schemes are based on that. They figure
> that if they invite you over for tea and cookies, you'll want to pay
> them back by buying merchandise. As soon a I realize that someone
> expects to make money on me, I do little damage to my wallet by becoming
> outraged that someone would have so little manners as to invite me over
> with the hopes of making money off me. Once I realize that it is their
> social faux pas, it doesn't bother me at all to go or not as I choose,
> eat the cookies, socialize and then not buy a thing. I'd opt for not
> going at all especially since this involves setting a precedent with a
> friend's boyfriend's sister who may decide that you're in the money from
> here on out and expect you to make regular donations. This is another
> variation on the Entertainment book thread in which "A" extends what
> seems like a social favor of getting a sandwich but is really making
> money off of "B" by using a coupon.
>

> --Lia

LOL!! I never feel obligated to buy. I refuse to let a cookie hold a
gun to my head.

The corn cob holders are cool, though, and do work as advertised.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
Curly Sue

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:06:01 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
>>
>> "JLove98905" > wrote in message
>> > if you do opt to buy something small and inocuous, DON'T get the cheese

>> knife.
>> > It's the poorest design I've ever seen. It's a good, flat, broad knife,

>> great
>> > for cutting slices up and down. But, it also has a planer built into the

>> blade.
>> > The idea is that you hold the knife parallel to the plate and pull back

>on
>> it,
>> > so the blade planes the cheese. Unfortunately, the side of the knife you

>> have
>> > to hold to push the planer is the blade side! I've had OK luck with some

>> of
>> > their other stuff- I also had to go to a party once, and decided to see

>> for
>> > myself if I like the products. The pizza stone works well.
>> >

>> People have posted that the PC pizza stone comes with instructions that

>say
>> not to pre-heat it. If that is true, I can't see how it would be very

>good.
>>

>I preheat mine. Works just fine.
>kilikini

Mine did until I made pizza on a cold day, and the dough was cool when
I slid the pizza onto the preheated stone.

It cracked :<

Sue(tm)
Lynn Gifford

OK, don't flame me but I used to be a Pampered Chef dealer. I just
went to a party, fell in love with all the neat gadgets and ended up a
distributor. WRONG MOVE!!!!!!!!!! Being an actress & somewhat of a
stand up comic, I loved "doing" the parties. I HATED the bookwork and
the schlepping and the begging my friends to have parties ( they all
knew I was funny and a good cook - or good and a funny cook . . .
whatever).

Then, to add insult to injury, my "cook" friends showed me where to
buy most of the "stuff" about 30% cheaper. Having said that, I loved
the vegetable peeler, the pizza stone, the gadget-holder-lazy-susan
thing. Broke THREE of the egg slicers - now I buy those a handful at a
time at the dollar store!

Lynn from Fargo
No longer pampered . . . just a chef.
PS: In my opinion, Pampered Chef should mean that you get to do all
the fun stuff and somebody else has to clean up
D.Currie

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> >
> > "JLove98905" > wrote in message
> > > if you do opt to buy something small and inocuous, DON'T get the

cheese
> > knife.
> > > It's the poorest design I've ever seen. It's a good, flat, broad

knife,
> > great
> > > for cutting slices up and down. But, it also has a planer built into

the
> > blade.
> > > The idea is that you hold the knife parallel to the plate and pull

back
> on
> > it,
> > > so the blade planes the cheese. Unfortunately, the side of the knife

you
> > have
> > > to hold to push the planer is the blade side! I've had OK luck with

some
> > of
> > > their other stuff- I also had to go to a party once, and decided to

see
> > for
> > > myself if I like the products. The pizza stone works well.
> > >
> > > -Jen
> > > Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright
> > >

> > I just picked up a Pampered Chef rectangular stone baking thing at a

> thrift
> > store for $1.49. Apparently never used. Probably purchased by someone

who
> > felt obligated to buy.
> >
> > But at least I got a good deal!
> >
> > Donna
> >

> Donna, I have one of those too. I use it for breads, cookies, everything.
> Mine is about 5 years old and well used!
> kilikini

I had a rectangular one that I broke a couple months ago, which left me with
just a pizza stone, but I wanted another rectangular one for baking longer,
skinny loaves of bread two at time.

I'm really starting to like that thrift store. Every now and then I stop in
and see what they've got, and now and then, there's something really good.
Prices can't be beat.

There were a couple of cast iron frying pans that I almost took, too. It's
hard to pass something like that up when it's only a buck or two, but then
again, I probably don't need another frying pan.

jmcquown

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:13:55 -0600, Dawn >
> wrote:
>
>> One of my friends has been guilted into attending because it's her
>> boyfriends sister who's the hostess, and she wants me to go along
>> with her because she doesn't know any of the sisters friends. I got
>> chosen because I'm the one who introduced her to the boyfriend.
>>

> Pretend you are going with her to buy a car- would you feel
> obligated to buy a car too? ;>
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Oh Sue, that reminds me of a really funny situation. Back in 1992 I took a
friend with me to go car-shopping. The salesman was completely into his
spiel about "What can I do to get you to buy this car?" I looked at her and
she started giggling. I had to poke her to get her to stop. Only later did
I find out what she was thinking: "Drop your pants, stand on one foot and
cluck like a chicken." I'll bet he would have done it ;-)

Jill

jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Lia said this:
>
>> I ask because my best survival tactic is cultivating the right sort
>> of outrage. I never feel guilty when I'm outraged. >> --Lia

> LOL!! I never feel obligated to buy. I refuse to let a cookie hold a
> gun to my head.
>
> The corn cob holders are cool, though, and do work as advertised.

I always found those silly yellow plastic corn-cob holders from the grocery
store worked just fine. About a buck for a set of 6.

Jill

Julia Altshuler

Lynn Gifford wrote:

> Then, to add insult to injury, my "cook" friends showed me where to
> buy most of the "stuff" about 30% cheaper. Having said that, I loved
> the vegetable peeler, the pizza stone, the gadget-holder-lazy-susan
> thing. Broke THREE of the egg slicers - now I buy those a handful at a
> time at the dollar store!

Will you tell us where to buy the stuff less expensively too?

My only experience with Pampered Chef is from a quilt store I used to
hang out at. A regular there brought the catalog in and passed it
around. The other women seemed excited to see it, looked through,
placed some orders. I didn't know what was going on or how it worked
but got the idea that the woman with the catalog was selling. Right
there I was turned off to the idea of a friend, albeit an extremely
casual one, selling. On the other hand, this took place in a store
though a number of us stopped by there as we would to a friend's home.

All the women there spoke highly of the merchandise, especially that
baking stone. I was intrigued by the idea but not enough to buy it.
I'm a hard sell for the obvious reason: I already own pretty high
quality cookware and don't need more stuff to store.

--Lia

Vox Humana

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > People have posted that the PC pizza stone comes with instructions that

say
> > not to pre-heat it. If that is true, I can't see how it would be very

good.

> Mine just sits in the oven. It's fine.

I leave mine in the oven also. In various discussion though, people have
remarked that the instructions for the PC stone say not to pre-heat it.
Apparently you are suppose to build the pizza on the stone and put the whole
works into a pre-heated oven. I never figured that one out!

Gabby

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Lynn Gifford wrote:
>
> > Then, to add insult to injury, my "cook" friends showed me where to
> > buy most of the "stuff" about 30% cheaper. Having said that, I loved
> > the vegetable peeler, the pizza stone, the gadget-holder-lazy-susan
> > thing. Broke THREE of the egg slicers - now I buy those a handful at a
> > time at the dollar store!

> Will you tell us where to buy the stuff less expensively too?
>

> My only experience with Pampered Chef is from a quilt store I used to
> hang out at. A regular there brought the catalog in and passed it
> around. The other women seemed excited to see it, looked through,
> placed some orders. I didn't know what was going on or how it worked
> but got the idea that the woman with the catalog was selling. Right
> there I was turned off to the idea of a friend, albeit an extremely
> casual one, selling. On the other hand, this took place in a store
> though a number of us stopped by there as we would to a friend's home.
>

> All the women there spoke highly of the merchandise, especially that
> baking stone. I was intrigued by the idea but not enough to buy it.
> I'm a hard sell for the obvious reason: I already own pretty high
> quality cookware and don't need more stuff to store.

I spent 11 years as a Tupperware dealer and am flabbergasted by the attitude
I see here. I've never run into it before. All these people, be they TW,
PC, Partylite Candle reps, etc are business people who have to pay taxes on
the commission they earn, have a business licence, have special insurance on
their vehicles, etc. How the heck are they any different from the person
who gets a commission from selling you insurance, dresses, doing your hair,
etc?

They go into people's homes, and yes, work place to do demos. They don't go
uninvited. You don't want to buy? Then don't. The person hosting the demo
is usually trying to earn free product, they certainly don't get cash for
hosting a demo.

Around here people love these parties, they are extremely popular. I've
never felt put out if someone invited me to one. If it's a product I'm
looking for, I go. If it's something I'm not interested in I stay home. If
I go, I usually only buy if there is something I really want.

Why denigrate the hostess? Some I know spend more on the food they provide
than they get back in free product.

Gabby

Pampered Chef Products EKK General Cooking 8 04-01-2005 05:43 AM
Pampered Chef Stuff mistycorey General Cooking 0 04-01-2005 04:13 AM
Pampered Chef Products EKK Baking 0 03-01-2005 03:21 PM
Pampered Chef Products EKK Cooking Equipment 0 03-01-2005 03:21 PM
Pampered chef is holding us hostage burt General Cooking 16 24-04-2004 03:58 AM