Default does white wine have any health benefits?

all the jazz is about the glories of red wine, but i prefer white.
does white have any benefits?

Dimitri

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> all the jazz is about the glories of red wine, but i prefer white.
> does white have any benefits?

Yes the taste is delightful (right kind) and a moderate amount of alcohol is
both relaxing and good for you.

Dimitri

A new study has shown that white wine is linked to lung cancer, while
red seems to inhibit it. Read he

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...oogle+Searc h

and he
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...gle.com&rnum=1

Dimitri

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>A new study has shown that white wine is linked to lung cancer, while
> red seems to inhibit it. Read he
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...oogle+Searc h
>
> and he
> http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...gle.com&rnum=1

http://www.yenra.com/white-wine/
The next time you are deciding whether to order white wine or red wine,
consider this: A study presented at the American Thoracic Society
International Conference in Atlanta on May 20 concludes that while both
types of wine bolster lung function, white wine seems to have a more
positive effect on lung health.

These results, from a study of 1,555 adults, add to evidence from years of
studies on wine and the heart that drinking wine can be beneficial to your
health, according to lead researcher Holger J. Schunemann, M.D., Ph.D., of
the University at Buffalo in Buffalo, N.Y. "Many studies on wine and the
heart have concluded that one to three glasses of wine per day may be
beneficial, and this study suggests that an equivalent amount of wine may
also help protect the lung," he said.

"We didn't see any significant association between total alcohol intake,
beer or liquor and lung function, but we did see a positive association
between both recent and lifetime wine intake and lung function," Dr.
Schunemann said. "People who drank white wine had greater lung function than
those who consumed red wine, but both groups of wine drinkers had greater
lung function than non-wine drinkers." He notes that white wine has a high
level of antioxidant molecules called flavonoids, which may help account for
the wine's protective effect.

The researchers asked study subjects to answer questions during a detailed,
computer-based interview about their total lifetime alcohol consumption by
decade, as well as their alcohol use in the previous 30 days. Their lung
function was measured. The scientists took into account the subjects'
smoking habits, weight, eating habits and lung function, in order to
compensate for the fact that people who drink wine but not other types of
alcohol are more likely to have a healthier diet, and are less likely to
smoke, than people who exclusively drink beer or other types of alcohol.

"It's difficult to separate out red and white wine consumption in the United
States, because many people drink both types of wine here, unlike France or
Italy where red wine is more popular," Dr. Schunemann noted.

Dimitri

JimLane

Dimitri wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>A new study has shown that white wine is linked to lung cancer, while
>>red seems to inhibit it. Read he
>>
>>http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...oogle+Searc h
>>
>>and he
>>http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...gle.com&rnum=1

> http://www.yenra.com/white-wine/
> The next time you are deciding whether to order white wine or red wine,
> consider this: A study presented at the American Thoracic Society
> International Conference in Atlanta on May 20 concludes that while both
> types of wine bolster lung function, white wine seems to have a more
> positive effect on lung health.
>
> These results, from a study of 1,555 adults, add to evidence from years of
> studies on wine and the heart that drinking wine can be beneficial to your
> health, according to lead researcher Holger J. Schunemann, M.D., Ph.D., of
> the University at Buffalo in Buffalo, N.Y. "Many studies on wine and the
> heart have concluded that one to three glasses of wine per day may be
> beneficial, and this study suggests that an equivalent amount of wine may
> also help protect the lung," he said.
>
> "We didn't see any significant association between total alcohol intake,
> beer or liquor and lung function, but we did see a positive association
> between both recent and lifetime wine intake and lung function," Dr.
> Schunemann said. "People who drank white wine had greater lung function than
> those who consumed red wine, but both groups of wine drinkers had greater
> lung function than non-wine drinkers." He notes that white wine has a high
> level of antioxidant molecules called flavonoids, which may help account for
> the wine's protective effect.
>
> The researchers asked study subjects to answer questions during a detailed,
> computer-based interview about their total lifetime alcohol consumption by
> decade, as well as their alcohol use in the previous 30 days. Their lung
> function was measured. The scientists took into account the subjects'
> smoking habits, weight, eating habits and lung function, in order to
> compensate for the fact that people who drink wine but not other types of
> alcohol are more likely to have a healthier diet, and are less likely to
> smoke, than people who exclusively drink beer or other types of alcohol.
>
> "It's difficult to separate out red and white wine consumption in the United
> States, because many people drink both types of wine here, unlike France or
> Italy where red wine is more popular," Dr. Schunemann noted.
>

> Dimitri

There was a report this year about the French developing a white wine
with similar health properties to reds. Did not save it, but perhaps
this is what Dimitri is on about.

jim

What's the date on your article? Not trying to one-up you as that's
not my bag, but I saw the recent articles on white wine on egullet and
October 2004 is pretty recent. ;-) Look...next week they'll tell you
both cause cancer or something....so no matter what we read, it's bound
to change.

Dave Smith

Dimitri wrote:

> > all the jazz is about the glories of red wine, but i prefer white.
> > does white have any benefits?

> Yes the taste is delightful (right kind) and a moderate amount of alcohol is
> both relaxing and good for you.

Thanks good enough for me :-)