FoodBanter.com

-   -   Very old frozen chicken (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/46380-very-old-frozen-chicken.html)

Joel 30-11-2004 09:05 PM

Very old frozen chicken

I just found a couple of pounds of frozen chicken wings that are a
year and a half old. I was thinking of making some chicken soup from
them

1. Is this safe?

2. If it is safe, will it taste ok?

Thanks

Joel

zxcvbob 30-11-2004 09:10 PM

Joel wrote:

> I just found a couple of pounds of frozen chicken wings that are a
> year and a half old. I was thinking of making some chicken soup from
> them
>
> 1. Is this safe?

Yes. Definitely. They could be 10 years old and still be safe.

> 2. If it is safe, will it taste ok?

Yes, if they were wrapped well enough and not badly freezer burned. If
they are freezer burned, they still might be OK for soup but not much else.

zxcvbob 30-11-2004 09:10 PM

Katra 01-12-2004 08:50 AM

In article >,
(Joel) wrote:

> I just found a couple of pounds of frozen chicken wings that are a
> year and a half old. I was thinking of making some chicken soup from
> them
>
> 1. Is this safe?
>
> 2. If it is safe, will it taste ok?
>
> Thanks
>

> Joel

Smell them.
If they smell freezer burned, i'd make a soup out of them and pour it
over the dogs food after deboning it.

There is not much you can do to save them unless they were packaged
right.

I give freezer burned meat to my chickens... ;-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Katra 01-12-2004 08:50 AM

Katra 01-12-2004 08:51 AM

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Joel wrote:
>
> > I just found a couple of pounds of frozen chicken wings that are a
> > year and a half old. I was thinking of making some chicken soup from
> > them
> >
> > 1. Is this safe?

> Yes. Definitely. They could be 10 years old and still be safe.
>
> > 2. If it is safe, will it taste ok?

> Yes, if they were wrapped well enough and not badly freezer burned. If
> they are freezer burned, they still might be OK for soup but not much else.
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > Joel

ick. :-P
I've tried making soup out of freezer burned chicken...

Never again.

Katra 01-12-2004 08:51 AM