FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cornish Hens (change of subject) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/454492-cornish-hens-change-subject.html)

jmcquown[_2_] 16-06-2021 12:54 AM

Cornish Hens (change of subject)

On 6/15/2021 12:10 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> Michael Trew wrote:
>>

> I have never bought a cornish hen before.Â* Is there any flavor/texture
> difference when cooked, or is it just the size?Â* I won't waste any whole
> chicken - every bit of it's used.

I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys. With homemade cornbread
"stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked in a loaf pan
on the side. You wouldn't get a lot out of one in terms of "stock" but
you can definitely eat the entire thing. And have some nice side dishes
to go along with it.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 16-06-2021 01:05 AM

Clarification: Cornish Hens (change of subject)

On 6/15/2021 7:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/15/2021 12:10 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
>>> Michael Trew wrote:
>>>

>> I have never bought a cornish hen before.Â* Is there any flavor/texture
>> difference when cooked, or is it just the size?Â* I won't waste any
>> whole chicken - every bit of it's used.
>>

> I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys.Â* With homemade cornbread
> "stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked in a loaf pan
> on the side.Â* You wouldn't get a lot out of one in terms of "stock" but
> you can definitely eat the entire thing.Â* And have some nice side dishes
> to go along with it.
>
> Jill

When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones I
buy are enough for a couple of meals.

Jill

Dave Smith[_42_] 16-06-2021 01:11 AM

Clarification: Cornish Hens (change of subject)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 20:05:40 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>>> I have never bought a cornish hen before.Â* Is there any flavor/texture
>>> difference when cooked, or is it just the size?Â* I won't waste any
>>> whole chicken - every bit of it's used.
>>>

>> I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys.Â* With homemade cornbread
>> "stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked in a loaf pan
>> on the side.Â* You wouldn't get a lot out of one in terms of "stock" but
>> you can definitely eat the entire thing.Â* And have some nice side dishes
>> to go along with it.
>>

>When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
>scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones I
>buy are enough for a couple of meals.

They're all tortured factory birds, so what does it matter? At the
very least, buy free range birds. Have a heart. Somewhere.

--
Bruce

cshenk 16-06-2021 01:43 AM

jmcquown wrote:

> > > I have never bought a cornish hen before.Â* Is there any
> > > flavor/texture difference when cooked, or is it just the size?Â*
> > > I won't waste any whole chicken - every bit of it's used.
> > >

> > I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys.Â* With homemade
> > cornbread "stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked
> > in a loaf pan on the side.Â* You wouldn't get a lot out of one in
> > terms of "stock" but you can definitely eat the entire thing.Â* And
> > have some nice side dishes to go along with it.
> >
> > Jill

> When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
> scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones
> I buy are enough for a couple of meals.
>
> Jill

Yup. Very meaty for the size.

Hank Rogers[_4_] 16-06-2021 02:03 AM

cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys.Â* With homemade
>>> cornbread "stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked
>>> in a loaf pan on the side.Â* You wouldn't get a lot out of one in
>>> terms of "stock" but you can definitely eat the entire thing.Â* And
>>> have some nice side dishes to go along with it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
>> scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones
>> I buy are enough for a couple of meals.
>>
>> Jill

> Yup. Very meaty for the size.

Yes, Like overweight sparrows.

Michael Trew 16-06-2021 04:19 AM

On 6/15/2021 8:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I have never bought a cornish hen before. Is there any
>>> flavor/texture difference when cooked, or is it just the size? I
>>> won't waste any whole chicken - every bit of it's used.
>>>

>> I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys. With homemade
>> cornbread "stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked in
>> a loaf pan on the side. You wouldn't get a lot out of one in terms of
>> "stock" but you can definitely eat the entire thing. And have some
>> nice side dishes to go along with it.
>>
>> Jill

> When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
> scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones I buy
> are enough for a couple of meals.
>
> Jill

I bought a 2 pack of them today. Something to try, I suppose!