Old 16-06-2021, 12:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornish Hens (change of subject)

On 6/15/2021 12:10 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
Michael Trew wrote:

I have never bought a cornish hen before.* Is there any flavor/texture
difference when cooked, or is it just the size?* I won't waste any whole
chicken - every bit of it's used.

I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys. With homemade cornbread
"stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked in a loaf pan
on the side. You wouldn't get a lot out of one in terms of "stock" but
you can definitely eat the entire thing. And have some nice side dishes
to go along with it.

Jill

Old 16-06-2021, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Clarification: Cornish Hens (change of subject)

Michael Trew wrote:

I have never bought a cornish hen before.* Is there any flavor/texture
difference when cooked, or is it just the size?* I won't waste any
whole chicken - every bit of it's used.

I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys.* With homemade cornbread
"stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked in a loaf pan
on the side.* You wouldn't get a lot out of one in terms of "stock" but
you can definitely eat the entire thing.* And have some nice side dishes
to go along with it.

Jill

When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones I
buy are enough for a couple of meals.

Jill
Old 16-06-2021, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

I have never bought a cornish hen before.* Is there any flavor/texture
difference when cooked, or is it just the size?* I won't waste any
whole chicken - every bit of it's used.

I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys.* With homemade cornbread
"stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked in a loaf pan
on the side.* You wouldn't get a lot out of one in terms of "stock" but
you can definitely eat the entire thing.* And have some nice side dishes
to go along with it.

When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones I
buy are enough for a couple of meals.

They're all tortured factory birds, so what does it matter? At the
very least, buy free range birds. Have a heart. Somewhere.

--
Bruce
Old 16-06-2021, 01:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

I have never bought a cornish hen before.* Is there any
flavor/texture difference when cooked, or is it just the size?*
I won't waste any whole chicken - every bit of it's used.

I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys.* With homemade
cornbread "stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked
in a loaf pan on the side.* You wouldn't get a lot out of one in
terms of "stock" but you can definitely eat the entire thing.* And
have some nice side dishes to go along with it.

Jill

When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones
I buy are enough for a couple of meals.

Jill

Yup. Very meaty for the size.
Old 16-06-2021, 02:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

I have never bought a cornish hen before.* Is there any
flavor/texture difference when cooked, or is it just the size?
I won't waste any whole chicken - every bit of it's used.

I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys.* With homemade
cornbread "stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked
in a loaf pan on the side.* You wouldn't get a lot out of one in
terms of "stock" but you can definitely eat the entire thing.* And
have some nice side dishes to go along with it.

Jill

When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones
I buy are enough for a couple of meals.

Jill

Yup. Very meaty for the size.

Yes, Like overweight sparrows.

Old 16-06-2021, 04:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

I have never bought a cornish hen before. Is there any
flavor/texture difference when cooked, or is it just the size? I
won't waste any whole chicken - every bit of it's used.

I tend to treat Cornish hens like mini-turkeys. With homemade
cornbread "stuffing" or simply have the cornbread "dressing" baked in
a loaf pan on the side. You wouldn't get a lot out of one in terms of
"stock" but you can definitely eat the entire thing. And have some
nice side dishes to go along with it.

Jill

When I say you can eat the entire thing I mean cornish hens aren't
scrawny as has been alleged. Lots of meat on those bones. The ones I buy
are enough for a couple of meals.

Jill

I bought a 2 pack of them today. Something to try, I suppose!

Cornish hens ChattyCathy General Cooking 52 29-11-2010 04:06 PM
Cornish Game Hens aem General Cooking 15 11-08-2006 12:47 AM
Cornish Hens? Heavy_Smoker Barbecue 17 14-01-2006 06:09 PM