Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default SOS! Dinner tonight 6/6/2021

You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
biscuits.

It's sort of like Southern US biscuits topped with sausage gravy except
you use chipped beef instead of crumbled breakfast sausage. (I know
there are some who insist SOS should be made using ground beef. Sorry,
I can't get excited about ground beef in bechamel sauce.)

There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
an example recipe:

https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/

The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
"European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will. My first
introduction to SOS did call for it to be spooned over toasted white
bread, which was traditional. I like it much better spooned over hot
biscuits.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:58:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>biscuits.
>
>It's sort of like Southern US biscuits topped with sausage gravy except
>you use chipped beef instead of crumbled breakfast sausage. (I know
>there are some who insist SOS should be made using ground beef. Sorry,
>I can't get excited about ground beef in bechamel sauce.)
>
>There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
>an example recipe:
>
>https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>
>The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
>"European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
>sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will. My first
>introduction to SOS did call for it to be spooned over toasted white
>bread, which was traditional. I like it much better spooned over hot
>biscuits. >
>Jill

Creamed beef on toast (SOS) was one of my mother's Sunday night
sunppers. I liked it. She would sometimes vary it using canned
aspargus. I liked that too.
Unfortunately I can't ever make that in my household. My husband
comes from a Navy family where stories were tolld of SOS and Spam as
well.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2021 7:58 PM, US Janet wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:58:12 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>> beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>> toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>> name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>> biscuits.
>>
>> It's sort of like Southern US biscuits topped with sausage gravy except
>> you use chipped beef instead of crumbled breakfast sausage. (I know
>> there are some who insist SOS should be made using ground beef. Sorry,
>> I can't get excited about ground beef in bechamel sauce.)
>>
>> There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
>> an example recipe:
>>
>> https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>>
>> The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
>> "European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
>> sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will. My first
>> introduction to SOS did call for it to be spooned over toasted white
>> bread, which was traditional. I like it much better spooned over hot
>> biscuits. >
>> Jill

> Creamed beef on toast (SOS) was one of my mother's Sunday night
> sunppers. I liked it. She would sometimes vary it using canned
> aspargus. I liked that too.
> Unfortunately I can't ever make that in my household. My husband
> comes from a Navy family where stories were tolld of SOS and Spam as
> well.
> Janet US

Probably the only reason I ever heard of it was because my dad was a
career Marine. It's not something I make very often but it hit the spot
tonight.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>biscuits.
>
>It's sort of like Southern US biscuits topped with sausage gravy except
>you use chipped beef instead of crumbled breakfast sausage. (I know
>there are some who insist SOS should be made using ground beef. Sorry,
>I can't get excited about ground beef in bechamel sauce.)
>
>There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
>an example recipe:
>
>https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>
>The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
>"European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
>sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will. My first
>introduction to SOS did call for it to be spooned over toasted white
>bread, which was traditional. I like it much better spooned over hot
>biscuits.
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 5:58:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
> beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
> toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
> name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
> biscuits.
>
> Jill

I have had it although it's been at least a hundred years but I did like it
very much. I would not be averse to eating it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:58:12 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
> beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
> toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
> name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
> biscuits....
>
> There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
> an example recipe:
>
> https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>
> The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
> "European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
> sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will.

Did actually use the Armour Dried Beef in the little bottle? I
haven't seen it for years, but it was pretty expensive last time I
saw it.

It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9970/lightbox/

It does look pretty good. But I din't think it was. Heh :-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:29:02 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
> And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9970/lightbox/

I meant to post this link so it shows almost full size. Flickr
sucks!

https://i.postimg.cc/VsFRWqPd/Shit-on-a-Shingle.jpg

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You sound like John when he ****s up.

--
Not DS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:58:12 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>> beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>> toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>> name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>> biscuits....
>>
>> There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
>> an example recipe:
>>
>> https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>>
>> The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
>> "European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
>> sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will.

>Did actually use the Armour Dried Beef in the little bottle? I
>haven't seen it for years, but it was pretty expensive last time I
>saw it.
>
>It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
>And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9970/lightbox/
>
>It does look pretty good. But I din't think it was. Heh :-)
>
>-sw

Was the beef in the jar 'ground' and formed, then sliced when we had
it years ago? It appears that is what is done to it now.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:29:02 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
>> And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9970/lightbox/

>I meant to post this link so it shows almost full size. Flickr
>sucks!
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/VsFRWqPd/Shit-on-a-Shingle.jpg
>
>-sw

Not DS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 17:31:21 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 5:58:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>> beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>> toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>> name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>> biscuits.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>I have had it although it's been at least a hundred years but I did like it
>very much. I would not be averse to eating it again.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 20:13:58 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/6/2021 7:58 PM, US Janet wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:58:12 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>>> beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>>> toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>>> name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>>> biscuits.
>>>
>>> It's sort of like Southern US biscuits topped with sausage gravy except
>>> you use chipped beef instead of crumbled breakfast sausage. (I know
>>> there are some who insist SOS should be made using ground beef. Sorry,
>>> I can't get excited about ground beef in bechamel sauce.)
>>>
>>> There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
>>> an example recipe:
>>>
>>> https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>>>
>>> The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
>>> "European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
>>> sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will. My first
>>> introduction to SOS did call for it to be spooned over toasted white
>>> bread, which was traditional. I like it much better spooned over hot
>>> biscuits. >
>>> Jill

>> Creamed beef on toast (SOS) was one of my mother's Sunday night
>> sunppers. I liked it. She would sometimes vary it using canned
>> aspargus. I liked that too.
>> Unfortunately I can't ever make that in my household. My husband
>> comes from a Navy family where stories were tolld of SOS and Spam as
>> well.
>> Janet US
>>

>Probably the only reason I ever heard of it was because my dad was a
>career Marine. It's not something I make very often but it hit the spot
>tonight.
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 17:58:39 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:58:12 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>>beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>>toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>>name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>>biscuits.
>>
>>It's sort of like Southern US biscuits topped with sausage gravy except
>>you use chipped beef instead of crumbled breakfast sausage. (I know
>>there are some who insist SOS should be made using ground beef. Sorry,
>>I can't get excited about ground beef in bechamel sauce.)
>>
>>There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
>>an example recipe:
>>
>>https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>>
>>The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
>>"European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
>>sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will. My first
>>introduction to SOS did call for it to be spooned over toasted white
>>bread, which was traditional. I like it much better spooned over hot
>>biscuits. >
>>Jill

>Creamed beef on toast (SOS) was one of my mother's Sunday night
>sunppers. I liked it. She would sometimes vary it using canned
>aspargus. I liked that too.
>Unfortunately I can't ever make that in my household. My husband
>comes from a Navy family where stories were tolld of SOS and Spam as
>well.
>Janet US

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 13:21:54 -1200, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 20:13:58 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 6/6/2021 7:58 PM, US Janet wrote:

>>> Creamed beef on toast (SOS) was one of my mother's Sunday night
>>> sunppers. I liked it. She would sometimes vary it using canned
>>> aspargus. I liked that too.
>>> Unfortunately I can't ever make that in my household. My husband
>>> comes from a Navy family where stories were tolld of SOS and Spam as
>>> well.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>Probably the only reason I ever heard of it was because my dad was a
>>career Marine. It's not something I make very often but it hit the spot
>>tonight.
>>
>>Jill
>>

>Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 14:34:22 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:31:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:29:02 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
>>> And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9970/lightbox/

>>I meant to post this link so it shows almost full size. Flickr
>>sucks!

>You sound like John when he ****s up.

Not DS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 22:57:21 -0600, US Janet wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:29:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

>>Did actually use the Armour Dried Beef in the little bottle? I
>>haven't seen it for years, but it was pretty expensive last time I
>>saw it.
>>
>>It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
>>And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!
>>
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9970/lightbox/
>>
>>It does look pretty good. But I din't think it was. Heh :-)

> Was the beef in the jar 'ground' and formed, then sliced when we had
> it years ago? It appears that is what is done to it now.
> Janet US

Yes, with the little specs of fat and bone. Looks like I have more
pictures from that week. It must have been SOS Week at Castle
Sqwertz. Over English muffins, and then also as a "benedict". With
Jars.

https://i.postimg.cc/xTDtRzQB/Dried-Beef-Jars.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/ydHwtbCC/Chippe...s-Benedict.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/zGqpmYVj/Creame...ish-Muffin.jpg

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:14:32 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 22:57:21 -0600, US Janet wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:29:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Did actually use the Armour Dried Beef in the little bottle? I
>>>haven't seen it for years, but it was pretty expensive last time I
>>>saw it.
>>>
>>>It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
>>>And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!
>>>
>>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9970/lightbox/
>>>
>>>It does look pretty good. But I din't think it was. Heh :-)

>> Was the beef in the jar 'ground' and formed, then sliced when we had
>> it years ago? It appears that is what is done to it now.
>> Janet US

>Yes, with the little specs of fat and bone. Looks like I have more
>pictures from that week. It must have been SOS Week at Castle
>Sqwertz. Over English muffins, and then also as a "benedict". With
>Jars.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/xTDtRzQB/Dried-Beef-Jars.jpg
>https://i.postimg.cc/ydHwtbCC/Chippe...s-Benedict.jpg
>https://i.postimg.cc/zGqpmYVj/Creame...ish-Muffin.jpg
>
>-sw

Hmmmm, You're a young whipper snapper. I don't recall that from my
childhood. You may be right. I'll have to get a jar and see how it
looks.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 13:13:00 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:14:32 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 22:57:21 -0600, US Janet wrote:

>>> Was the beef in the jar 'ground' and formed, then sliced when we had
>>> it years ago? It appears that is what is done to it now.
>>> Janet US

>>Yes, with the little specs of fat and bone. Looks like I have more
>>pictures from that week. It must have been SOS Week at Castle
>>Sqwertz. Over English muffins, and then also as a "benedict". With
>>Jars.
>>
>>https://i.postimg.cc/xTDtRzQB/Dried-Beef-Jars.jpg
>>https://i.postimg.cc/ydHwtbCC/Chippe...s-Benedict.jpg
>>https://i.postimg.cc/zGqpmYVj/Creame...ish-Muffin.jpg
>>
>>-sw

>Hmmmm, You're a young whipper snapper. I don't recall that from my
>childhood. You may be right. I'll have to get a jar and see how it
>looks.
>Janet US

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 22:57:21 -0600, US Janet wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:29:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Did actually use the Armour Dried Beef in the little bottle? I
>>>haven't seen it for years, but it was pretty expensive last time I
>>>saw it.
>>>
>>>It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
>>>And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!
>>>
>>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9970/lightbox/
>>>
>>>It does look pretty good. But I din't think it was. Heh :-)

>> Was the beef in the jar 'ground' and formed, then sliced when we had
>> it years ago? It appears that is what is done to it now.
>> Janet US

>Yes, with the little specs of fat and bone. Looks like I have more
>pictures from that week. It must have been SOS Week at Castle
>Sqwertz. Over English muffins, and then also as a "benedict". With
>Jars.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/xTDtRzQB/Dried-Beef-Jars.jpg
>https://i.postimg.cc/ydHwtbCC/Chippe...s-Benedict.jpg
>https://i.postimg.cc/zGqpmYVj/Creame...ish-Muffin.jpg
>
>-sw

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:29:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:58:12 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>>> beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>>> toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>>> name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>>> biscuits....
>>>
>>> There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
>>> an example recipe:
>>>
>>> https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>>>
>>> The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
>>> "European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
>>> sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will.

>>Did actually use the Armour Dried Beef in the little bottle? I
>>haven't seen it for years, but it was pretty expensive last time I
>>saw it.
>>
>>It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
>>And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!
>>
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9970/lightbox/
>>
>>It does look pretty good. But I din't think it was. Heh :-)
>>
>>-sw

>Was the beef in the jar 'ground' and formed, then sliced when we had
>it years ago? It appears that is what is done to it now.
>Janet US

Not DS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2021 12:29 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:58:12 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>> beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>> toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>> name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>> biscuits....
>>
>> There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
>> an example recipe:
>>
>> https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>>
>> The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
>> "European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
>> sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will.

> Did actually use the Armour Dried Beef in the little bottle? I
> haven't seen it for years, but it was pretty expensive last time I
> saw it.

I used Carson's (Knauss) brand. It's sold in the refrigerated section
near the cold cuts and such and comes in a pouch. I don't recall what I
paid for it but it wasn't terribly expensive.

http://www.knaussfoods.com/

> It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
> And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!

I'll concede and accept last place.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stouffer-...11-oz/10804755

>My dad loved SOS; sometimes Mom had a hard time finding chipped beef at
>the Commissary. She was thrilled when I called and told her Stouffer's
>started making a frozen version (Dad was, too).
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 17:21:02 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/7/2021 12:29 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:58:12 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> You either love it, hate it or have never heard of it. Creamed chipped
>>> beef, aka SOS (Shit on a Shingle). Most people serve it spooned over
>>> toasted bread (shingles) and it doesn't look very attractive, hence the
>>> name. Personally, I prefer it served over a couple of split buttermilk
>>> biscuits....
>>>
>>> There are many recipes available online but for those unfamiliar this is
>>> an example recipe:
>>>
>>> https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/
>>>
>>> The woman on that site mentions liking SOS on toasted sourdough bread or
>>> "European whole grain" (whatever that may be). I have yet to try it on
>>> sourdough toast but that doesn't mean I never will.

>> Did actually use the Armour Dried Beef in the little bottle? I
>> haven't seen it for years, but it was pretty expensive last time I
>> saw it.
>>

>I used Carson's (Knauss) brand. It's sold in the refrigerated section
>near the cold cuts and such and comes in a pouch. I don't recall what I
>paid for it but it wasn't terribly expensive.
>
>http://www.knaussfoods.com/
>
>> It looks like the last time I saw and used it was June 30th , 2013.
>> And guess what - I used toasted sourdough. Beat you to it!
>>

>I'll concede and accept last place.
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith