Carrie-Lou Salter

Default Signature Dish?

Hey all,

Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their signature
dish(s).

Cheers,
Carrie

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Parmesan

Recipe By : Carrie Salter
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry Entree

6 large chicken breasts
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons oil
14 ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
6 large slices mozzarella cheese

Mix eggs, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with mixture and then roll in
breadcrumbs.

Heat up oil, cook chicken just enough to cook breadcrumbs onto chicken (I
like to cook until breadcrumbs are starting to brown).

Heat mixture of tomato sauce, garlic powder and basil until it starts to
bubble. Remove from heat, add margarine and stir until melted.

Pour a small amount of tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish then place
chicken in baking dish and cover with remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with
parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Uncover and place a slice of mozzarella cheese on each piece of chicken.
Bake for another 10 minutes uncovered until cheese is melted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : - Feel free to change the amount of garlic and basil. I usually add
more than what I have written here.

--
"Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a
function."

Barbtail

That sounds wonderful!

For years my *signature dish* ( I guess you'd call it that- people always asked
for the recipe and requested it at potlucks) was Vegetarian Eggplant Royale
(also did a vegan version for a while with tofu cheese).

Now everyone asks for my Enchaladas- cheese or beef. The key to this dish is
my homemade Enchalada sauce:

2 qts pork, beef or chicken stock (I use boulion cubes in a pinch)
4-5 rounded TB's of mild red powdered chile- the Mexican store I buy this at
sells it by the pound and simply calls it *California mild*.
Measurements are approximate
1/2 onion (whole)
1/2 bell pepper (whole) or other fresh pepper ( sometimes I use fresh jalapeno
if it's for my son who loves spicy-hot)
2 lg cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp oregano powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp coriander seed, powdered
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
dash of cayenne

Bring all this to a boil and then simmer for about 30mins. It should reduce to
about 1 and 1/2 to 3/4 quarts liquid. Thicken with a little cornstarch slurry-
but don't make it too thick as it will thicken more as you bake the
enchaladas. Check salt- season to taste. Remove and toss the garlic, bell
pepper and onion. It's ready to serve! This freezes pretty well, too.

To make enchaladas, Pour some sauce in the bottom of a 9x 13 glass baking
dish. Take *fresh* ( I buy them fresh and they are still wartm and pliable) or
*softened* corn tortillas (place a stack wrapped in a damp cloth in your
microwave for about 1-2 mins to make them pliable) and fill with your favorite
mix- my favorite is cheese and black olive but my kids like burger and
chorizo. Roll 'em up and lay 'em in the sauce. When done, pour enchalada
sauce over all to cover, sprinkle with a mix of parmesan and white/yellow
cheese and bake at 350* for about 30 mins or until cheese is bubbly on top.
Serve with shredded lettuce topped with fresh salsa and maybe a couple whole
black olives on the side and Mexican rice.

Pretty simple but a definite crowd pleaser. Once upon a time I used the whole
dried chiles, soaked 'em, cleaned 'em and then pureed them for the sauce- I
admit that makes a tastier sauce but this works great for everyday. I also use
this sauce over my homemade tamales. If you scanned the sauce looking for
tomato, you won't find any *chuckles*. Also, when I make beef or chicken
enchalada, I add about a cup of the enchalada sauce to the cooked
shredded/ground meat before stuffing.

* cheers*

Barb Anne
Amarantha

"Carrie-Lou Salter" > wrote in
:

> Hey all,
>
> Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
> lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
> follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their
> signature dish(s).

Amarantha's Mountain of Nachos

for cooking:
a couple of onions
a couple of eggplant, or one really big one
a few zucchini
half a dozen large yellow chillies
as many hot chillies as you like
a large bag of mushrooms
one or two tomatoes

for layering:
corn chips
salsa
sour cream
grated cheese

Heat some oil in a large pot. Chop and add ingredients in the order
listed above. The eggplant especially should be chopped fairly thinly
(half a centimetre/quarter inch slices) and may need more oil added with
it. Once the tomatoes have been added to the pot it's pretty much ready
- a horrible-looking grey muck that smells and tastes great. Get a
plate, add a layer of corn chips, a few big serving spoons of vegies, a
layer of salsa, a layer of sour cream and lots of cheese. Eat with fork
and fingers.

Warning: this dish is deceptively large. I've had friends use a bread
and butter plate so as not to get too much and even then, when they'd
finished layering, they were alarmed at the amount of food they'd ended
up with >

nil illegitimi carborundum
Julia Altshuler

Carrie-Lou Salter wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
> lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
> follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their signature
> dish(s)

I was asked this question when I was young and green and fresh out of
Culinary School. I was talking to the head of the hotel where I was
working, and he asked about my specialty. I had enough presence of mind
to know that it didn't matter what I said so much as saying something,
but I still couldn't find the confidence or imagination to speak until
after I'd stammered and made a fool of myself by insisting that I didn't
have one. Finally I said spanakopita. I do make a nice spanakopita
and did then. I'm not sure I do anything spectacular with it, but it
always seems to be appreciated when I bring it to potlucks. So there's
my specialty: spanakopita.

--Lia

ravinwulf

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:58:56 -0500, "Carrie-Lou Salter"
> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
>lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
>follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their signature
>dish(s).

This is....

Regards,
Tracy R.

My Favorite Cannelloni

----PASTA----
1 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
few drops of water
----FILLING----
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup onion; finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic; finely chopped
1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed; chopped again or
3/4 pound fresh spinach, cooked, drained; squeezed, chopped fine
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound ground round; ground twice if possible
2 each chicken livers
5 tablespoons parmesan cheese; freshly grated
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 large eggs; lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano; crumbled
salt and pepper, to tastee
----BESCIAMELLA----
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
----TOMATO SAUCE----
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion; finely chopped
4 cups italian plum or whole pack tomatoes; drained, coarse chopped
6 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely cut or, 2 tsp; dried basil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
pepper, to taste
----TOPPING----
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese; freshly grated
2 tablespoons butter; cut in tiny pieces

Pasta: Pour flour into mixing bowl, make a well in the center and in
it put egg, egg white, oil and salt. Mix together until dough can be
gathered into a rough ball. Moisten any remaining dry bits of flour
with drops of water and press them into the ball. Knead on a floured
board, working in extra flour if the dough seems sticky. Wrap dough in
plastic and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before rolling.

Divide dough into 2 balls. Place 1 ball on floured board and flatten
into oblong 1-inch thick. Dust top lightly with flour. Using a heavy
rolling pin, start at one end of the oblong and roll lengthwise away
from yourself to within an inch or so of the farthest edge. Turn the
dough crosswise and roll across its width. Repeat turning and rolling
until dough is paper thin. If it starts to stick, lift carefully and
sprinkle some more flour under it. Cut dough into about thirty-six 2-
x 3-inch rectangles. Bring 6- to 8-quarts of water and 1 tablespoon
salt to a rolling boil over high heat in a large pot. Drop in pasta
one piece at a time, stirring gently with a wooden spoon for a few
minutes to make sure it doesn't stick. Return to a boil and cook over
high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until pasta is
tender but not soft. Drain, cool slightly, and spread pasta side by
side on paper towels or wax paper to dry.

Filling: Heat olive oil in 8- t0 10-inch skillet. Add onions and
garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently for 7-8
minutes, until they are soft but not brown. Stir in the spinach and
cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. When all of the moisture
cooks away and the spinach sticks lightly, transfer it to a mixing
bowl. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the same skillet and lightly brown
the beef, stirring constantly to break up any lumps. Add meat to
spinach. Melt 1 more tablespoon butter in skillet and cook the
livers, turning frequently 3-4 minutes, until somewhat firm, lightly
browned but still pink inside. [Note: I usualy cook them more than
this; maybe it's paranoid, but I don't want to eat any pink chicken.]
Chop coarsely and add to spinach/meat along with cheese, eggs, cream
and oregano. Mix gently but thoroughly. Taste and season with salt and
pepper.

Besciamella: In heavy saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
Remove from heat and stir in flour. Pour in milk and cream all at
once, whisking constantly until flour is partially dissolved. Then
return pan to high heat and cook, stirring constantly with whisk. When
sauce comes to a boil and is smooth, reduce heat. Simmer, still
stirring, another 2-3 minutes until sauce coats the whisk heavily.
Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Tomato Sauce: Using
big saucepan, heat olive oil until a light haze forms over it. Add
onions and cook over moderate heat for 7-8 minutes, or until soft but
not browned. Add other ingredients. Reduce heat to very low and
simmer, with pan partially covered, for about 40 minutes. Stir
occasionally. Press saucee through sieve or food mill into bowl. Taste
for seasoning.

Assembly: Preheat oven to 375F. Put 1 tablespoon of filling on bottom
thrid of pasta; roll up. Pour a film of tomato sauce into 2 10- x
14-inch baking dishes. Lay pasta rolls side by side in saucee. Pour
Besciamella over; spoon the rest of the Tomato Sauce over the top of
that. Scatter cheese and butter on the top. Bake 20 minutes; then
brown under the broiler for 30 seconds.

Notes: This is a pain in the butt to make but it's soooo good it's
worth it. It can be assembled and frozen with no ill effects, so I
find it's usually worth my while to make a double or even a triple
recipe and fill up a bunch (3-6) 8- x 8- x 2-inch disposable aluminium
pans (wrap tightly in several layers of foil; to reheat, put in 350F
oven for 70 minutes or so) for the freezer to be cooked later.
Store-bought canneloni shells can be subbed for fresh pasta if you're
pushed for time or faint of heart ~ they aren't as good; but this is
so rich you may not notice. Also, I'm thinking of trying this with
crepes a la Marilyn's Manicotti ~ the pasta is really the worst part
of making this. (Made Marilyn's Manicotti the other night and was
rather disappointed with the crepes ~ they were too thick, despite my
adding additional water to the batter. Might need thinner batter yet,
or a cooler skillet, I dunno. Anyhow, I think stick with the original
pasta.)

Yield: 6-8 servings

Puester

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I was asked this question when I was young and green and fresh out of
> Culinary School. I was talking to the head of the hotel where I was
> working, and he asked about my specialty. I had enough presence of mind
> to know that it didn't matter what I said so much as saying something,
> but I still couldn't find the confidence or imagination to speak until
> after I'd stammered and made a fool of myself by insisting that I didn't
> have one. Finally I said spanakopita. I do make a nice spanakopita
> and did then. I'm not sure I do anything spectacular with it, but it
> always seems to be appreciated when I bring it to potlucks. So there's
> my specialty: spanakopita.
>
> --Lia

That's one of my very favorite foods ever.
You can come and visit ANY time!

gloria p
Melissa Houle

Carrie-Lou Salter > wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
> lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
> follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their

signature
> dish(s).

SNIP to save space.

Raspberry Chicken, originally from the Silver Palate Cook Book. However,
I've made one or two adjustments and changes. over the years One being
taking out the tomatoes, and the other adding sliced mushrooms. It's one of
those recipes I think I could make under general anesthestia. I can just as
easily make it for four as for two:

Raspberry Chicken:
2 to 4 boneless chicken breast halves. (You can get boneless and skinless,
but as they're a dollar more per pound, I just get them with skin and remove
it myself for free.)
2 TBS butter
Two slices of yellow onion chopped up, but not too fine.
8-12 mushrooms, sliced (Depends on how much you like mushrooms.)
4 TBS raspberry vinegar, or
3 TBS raspberry vinegar and 1 TB Chambord black raspberry liqueur.
1 box fresh raspberries.
1/4 cup chicken broth
milk, half and half or cream, depending on your sin index
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large skillet and gently brown the chicken breasts over
medium heat. Add the chopped onion and mushrooms, and cook them until
they're tender. Add the raspberry vinegar/Chambord and, and then the washed
raspberries, and chicken broth. Lower the heat, and allow to simmer for
about 20 minutes. If you want more sauce, just add more broth. As for the
milk, add it last, and toward the end of the cooking time. You want the
sauce to be opaque and pinkish, but the amount to add is really a matter of
personal taste. Experiment. The milk does tend to curdle, and while this
does not spoil the dish, it's less than attractive. Usually I go with half
and half, unless I'm in a VERY self-indulgent mood.
This is not something you want to serve to your cardiologist and fresh
raspberries are pretty expensive in the winter. But this is an easy,
delicious and savory meal to eat when you've had a less than delightful
week--in short, comfort food. I serve it over rice, with a green vegetable,
or a salad. I've also tried the variation of omitting the raspberries and
substituting balsamic vinegar for the raspberry vinegar, which is also very
good. Sherry vinegar would probably be delicious too.

Melissa

Melissa Houle

Carrie-Lou Salter > wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
> lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
> follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their

signature
> dish(s).

SNIP to save space.

Raspberry Chicken, originally from the Silver Palate Cook Book. However,
I've made one or two adjustments and changes. over the years One being
taking out the tomatoes, and the other adding sliced mushrooms. It's one of
those recipes I think I could make under general anesthestia. I can just as
easily make it for four as for two:

Raspberry Chicken:
2 to 4 boneless chicken breast halves. (You can get boneless and skinless,
but as they're a dollar more per pound, I just get them with skin and remove
it myself for free.)
2 TBS butter
Two slices of yellow onion chopped up, but not too fine.
8-12 mushrooms, sliced (Depends on how much you like mushrooms.)
4 TBS raspberry vinegar, or
3 TBS raspberry vinegar and 1 TB Chambord black raspberry liqueur.
1 box fresh raspberries.
1/4 cup chicken broth
milk, half and half or cream, depending on your sin index
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large skillet and gently brown the chicken breasts over
medium heat. Add the chopped onion and mushrooms, and cook them until
they're tender. Add the raspberry vinegar/Chambord and, and then the washed
raspberries, and chicken broth. Lower the heat, and allow to simmer for
about 20 minutes. If you want more sauce, just add more broth. As for the
milk, add it last, and toward the end of the cooking time. You want the
sauce to be opaque and pinkish, but the amount to add is really a matter of
personal taste. Experiment. The milk does tend to curdle, and while this
does not spoil the dish, it's less than attractive. Usually I go with half
and half, unless I'm in a VERY self-indulgent mood.
This is not something you want to serve to your cardiologist and fresh
raspberries are pretty expensive in the winter. But this is an easy,
delicious and savory meal to eat when you've had a less than delightful
week--in short, comfort food. I serve it over rice, with a green vegetable,
or a salad. I've also tried the variation of omitting the raspberries and
substituting balsamic vinegar for the raspberry vinegar, which is also very
good. Sherry vinegar would probably be delicious too.

Melissa

Nathalie Chiva

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:58:56 -0500, "Carrie-Lou Salter"
> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
>lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
>follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their signature
>dish(s).

Chopped liver
1 lb chicken livers, poached and drained
1 lb onions, chopped
5 hard-boiled eggs
1 tbsp goosefat (originally, chicken fat - goosefat is much easier for
me to find)
Salt, pepper

Chop everything together - the result mustn't be totally smooth,
though. Melt the fat on low heat, add to mixture, add salt and pepper,
mix well. Wait 1 full day before eating (it makes a huge difference).

Nathalie in Switzerland
Nathalie Chiva

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:58:56 -0500, "Carrie-Lou Salter"
> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
>lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
>follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their signature
>dish(s).

Chopped liver
1 lb chicken livers, poached and drained
1 lb onions, chopped
5 hard-boiled eggs
1 tbsp goosefat (originally, chicken fat - goosefat is much easier for
me to find)
Salt, pepper

Chop everything together - the result mustn't be totally smooth,
though. Melt the fat on low heat, add to mixture, add salt and pepper,
mix well. Wait 1 full day before eating (it makes a huge difference).

Nathalie in Switzerland

Marge

not sure if they're signature, but my two tastiest dishes that I enjoy
making are a pork loin done in the style Julia Child had in her Art of
French cooking, marinated overnight with a dry rub, browned then
roasted with veggies. The other is one I got from Bon Appetit, the
original recipe called for venison, which I couldn't get at the time so
I made it small rounds of steak. It has sauce made with cranberrys.
Very delicious.

Wayne Boatwright

"Carrie-Lou Salter" > wrote in
:

> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> Subject: Signature Dish?
> From: "Carrie-Lou Salter" >
>
> Hey all,
>
> Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
> lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
> follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their
> signature dish(s).

I've always been known for my pies. One that always garners requests is my
Coconut Cream Pie. Disclaimer: please note the nutritional analysis at the
end and eat at your own risk. <G>

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Cream Pie

Recipe By : Wayne Boatwright
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:00, plus chilling time
Categories : Pies, Desserts

Pie Shell
1 1/3 Cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
4 Ounces Unsalted Butter -- chilled
4 Ounces Lard -- chilled
3-4 Tablespoons Ice Water
Filling
2 Cups Whole Milk
1 Cup Half and Half
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
5 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1/2 Teaspon Salt
3 Each Egg Yolks -- beaten
1-1/2 Cups Shredded Coconut Meat -- divided
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1-1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Topping
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

For pastry, combine flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Cut in butter and
lard until particles are about the size of peas. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of
ice water over flour mixture, gently combining with a fork. If mixture
doesn't come together in a mass, add an additional tablespoon of ice water.
Form mixture into a ball, flatten, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30
minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll out pastry to a 12-inch circle. Fit
into a deep 9-inch pie pan, fold over pastry to form a high fluted edge.
Prick pastry generously with fork. Line pastry with baking parchment or
foil and add pie weights, dried beans, or rice. Bake 12 minutes. Remove
lining and weights and return to oven. Continue baking 5-6 minutes or
until pastry is light golden brown. Remove to cooling rack and cool
thoroughly. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

For Filling, mix together sugar, cornstarch, and salt in medium saucepan.
Set aside. Combine milk and cream in small saucepan and heat to scalding.
Stir hot milk mixture slowly into sugar mixture. Stir about 3/4 cup of hot
mixture into egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return egg mixture to
saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until filling is
very thick and stiff, about 7-9 minutes. Add 1 cup of coconut, butter, and
vanilla. Stir until butter is melted. Pour filling into pie shell. Chill
until completely cold.

For topping, spread remaining 1/2 cup of the coconut on a baking sheet and
toast until pale golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside. Beat cream
in chilled mixing bowl using chilled beaters until cream forms soft peaks.
Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until cream is very stiff (just
short of turning to butter). Spread whipped cream over surface of pie
filling, swirling decoratively. Sprinkle with reserved toasted coconut and
return to refrigerator until serving time.

Yield:
"1 Pie"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 686 Calories; 52g Fat (67.8%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 192mg
Cholesterol; 329mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 10 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

"Carrie-Lou Salter" > wrote in
:

> [...]

For topping, spread remaining 1/2 cup of the coconut on a baking sheet and
toast until pale golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside. Beat cream
in chilled mixing bowl using chilled beaters until cream forms soft peaks.
Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until cream is very stiff (just
short of turning to butter). Spread whipped cream over surface of pie
filling, swirling decoratively. Sprinkle with reserved toasted coconut and
return to refrigerator until serving time.

Yield:
"1 Pie"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 686 Calories; 52g Fat (67.8%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 192mg
Cholesterol; 329mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 10 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nancree

Nathalie Chiva wrote:
Favorite dish
>Chopped liver
>1 lb chicken livers, poached and drained
>1 lb onions, chopped
>5 hard-boiled eggs
>1 tbsp goosefat (originally, chicken fat - goosefat is much easier for
>me to find)
>Salt, pepper
>
>Chop everything together - the result mustn't be totally smooth,
>though. Melt the fat on low heat, add to mixture, add salt and pepper,
>mix well. Wait 1 full day before eating (it makes a huge difference).
>
>Nathalie in Switzerland

------------------------------------
Thanks, Nathalie. You always make such nice contributions to this newsgroup. I
will make your recipe. I have a friend who adds a bit of cognac. Have a happy
Thanksgiving (even though you probably don't have that there in Switzerland)
Here, it commemorates the gratitude of the first Pilgrims to arrive in America,
for a safe transit of the Atlantic and the establishment of their small colony.
Best wishes, Nancree

Nancree

Favorite dish

------------------------------------
Thanks, Nathalie. You always make such nice contributions to this newsgroup. I
will make your recipe. I have a friend who adds a bit of cognac. Have a happy
Thanksgiving (even though you probably don't have that there in Switzerland)
Here, it commemorates the gratitude of the first Pilgrims to arrive in America,
for a safe transit of the Atlantic and the establishment of their small colony.
Best wishes, Nancree

Karen O'Mara

(Barbtail) wrote in message >...
> That sounds wonderful!
>
> For years my *signature dish* ( I guess you'd call it that- people always asked
> for the recipe and requested it at potlucks) was Vegetarian Eggplant Royale
> (also did a vegan version for a while with tofu cheese).
>
> Now everyone asks for my Enchaladas- cheese or beef. The key to this dish is
> my homemade Enchalada sauce:
>
> 2 qts pork, beef or chicken stock (I use boulion cubes in a pinch)
> 4-5 rounded TB's of mild red powdered chile- the Mexican store I buy this at
> sells it by the pound and simply calls it *California mild*.
> Measurements are approximate
> 1/2 onion (whole)
> 1/2 bell pepper (whole) or other fresh pepper ( sometimes I use fresh jalapeno
> if it's for my son who loves spicy-hot)
> 2 lg cloves garlic, crushed
> 1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
> 1 tsp oregano powder
> 1 tsp ground black pepper
> 1 tsp coriander seed, powdered
> 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
> dash of cayenne
>

> Bring all this to a boil and then simmer for about 30mins. It should reduce to
> about 1 and 1/2 to 3/4 quarts liquid. Thicken with a little cornstarch slurry-
> but don't make it too thick as it will thicken more as you bake the
> enchaladas. Check salt- season to taste. Remove and toss the garlic, bell
> pepper and onion. It's ready to serve! This freezes pretty well, too.
>
> To make enchaladas, Pour some sauce in the bottom of a 9x 13 glass baking
> dish. Take *fresh* ( I buy them fresh and they are still wartm and pliable) or
> *softened* corn tortillas (place a stack wrapped in a damp cloth in your
> microwave for about 1-2 mins to make them pliable) and fill with your favorite
> mix- my favorite is cheese and black olive but my kids like burger and
> chorizo. Roll 'em up and lay 'em in the sauce. When done, pour enchalada
> sauce over all to cover, sprinkle with a mix of parmesan and white/yellow
> cheese and bake at 350* for about 30 mins or until cheese is bubbly on top.
> Serve with shredded lettuce topped with fresh salsa and maybe a couple whole
> black olives on the side and Mexican rice.
>
> Pretty simple but a definite crowd pleaser. Once upon a time I used the whole
> dried chiles, soaked 'em, cleaned 'em and then pureed them for the sauce- I
> admit that makes a tastier sauce but this works great for everyday. I also use
> this sauce over my homemade tamales. If you scanned the sauce looking for
> tomato, you won't find any *chuckles*. Also, when I make beef or chicken
> enchalada, I add about a cup of the enchalada sauce to the cooked
> shredded/ground meat before stuffing.
>

> * cheers*
>
> Barb Anne

This sounds great. And, I make turkey broth from the carcas and
there's always so much turkey leftover... am thinking turkey
enchiladas this weekend. I think your sauce recipe looks divine.

Karen

Karen O'Mara

Amarantha > wrote in message .1.4>...
> "Carrie-Lou Salter" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
> > lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
> > follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their
> > signature dish(s).
> >

> Amarantha's Mountain of Nachos
>
> for cooking:
> a couple of onions
> a couple of eggplant, or one really big one
> a few zucchini
> half a dozen large yellow chillies
> as many hot chillies as you like
> a large bag of mushrooms
> one or two tomatoes
>
> for layering:
> corn chips
> salsa
> sour cream
> grated cheese
>
> Heat some oil in a large pot. Chop and add ingredients in the order
> listed above. The eggplant especially should be chopped fairly thinly
> (half a centimetre/quarter inch slices) and may need more oil added with
> it. Once the tomatoes have been added to the pot it's pretty much ready
> - a horrible-looking grey muck that smells and tastes great. Get a
> plate, add a layer of corn chips, a few big serving spoons of vegies, a
> layer of salsa, a layer of sour cream and lots of cheese. Eat with fork
> and fingers.
>
> Warning: this dish is deceptively large. I've had friends use a bread
> and butter plate so as not to get too much and even then, when they'd
> finished layering, they were alarmed at the amount of food they'd ended
> up with >

Interesting nachos! I think it sounds like a winner!

Karen
Karen O'Mara

Amarantha > wrote in message .1.4>...
> "Carrie-Lou Salter" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
> > lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
> > follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their
> > signature dish(s).
> >

> Amarantha's Mountain of Nachos
>
> for cooking:
> a couple of onions
> a couple of eggplant, or one really big one
> a few zucchini
> half a dozen large yellow chillies
> as many hot chillies as you like
> a large bag of mushrooms
> one or two tomatoes
>
> for layering:
> corn chips
> salsa
> sour cream
> grated cheese
>
> Heat some oil in a large pot. Chop and add ingredients in the order
> listed above. The eggplant especially should be chopped fairly thinly
> (half a centimetre/quarter inch slices) and may need more oil added with
> it. Once the tomatoes have been added to the pot it's pretty much ready
> - a horrible-looking grey muck that smells and tastes great. Get a
> plate, add a layer of corn chips, a few big serving spoons of vegies, a
> layer of salsa, a layer of sour cream and lots of cheese. Eat with fork
> and fingers.
>
> Warning: this dish is deceptively large. I've had friends use a bread
> and butter plate so as not to get too much and even then, when they'd
> finished layering, they were alarmed at the amount of food they'd ended
> up with >

Interesting nachos! I think it sounds like a winner!

Karen
Zspider

Julia Altshuler wrote:

I do make a nice spanakopita and did then. I'm not sure I do anything
spectacular with it, but it always seems to be appreciated when I bring
it to potlucks. So there's my specialty: spanakopita.

***************
Hmmm... How about your recipe? I've been having fun trying some
Greek recipes and would like yours for spanakopita.

I'm afraid that as a newbie cook I don't really have a signature dish
yet. I think the closest thing would be my dijon chicken since I've
made it twice and it came out pretty good both times. I used either
thin slices or beaten flat boneless skinless chicken breasts dipped
first in a batter with a ratio of one teaspoon dijon mustard to one
egg and then dipped in half corn meal, half whole wheat. Salt and
pepper a bunch. Roast at 400 degrees for maybe 5 minutes per side.
Serve with shredded Parmesan (preferably real and not the stuff out
of the can. It DOES make a difference.) and maybe some fresh
parsley. Wash down with cold beer.

Thanks, Michael
Julia Altshuler

Zspider wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> I do make a nice spanakopita and did then. I'm not sure I do anything
> spectacular with it, but it always seems to be appreciated when I bring
> it to potlucks. So there's my specialty: spanakopita.
>
> ***************
> Hmmm... How about your recipe? I've been having fun trying some
> Greek recipes and would like yours for spanakopita.

I'm assuming you know how to work with phyllo dough. I won't type out
those instructions. The following isn't necessarily exact. The recipe
is very forgiving. You can get away with using more or fewer eggs or
varying the cheeses and vegetables. Anyway, here's roughly the way I do it.

In a frying pan, heat some olive oil. Add a chopped onion and brown.
You can add chopped garlic at this point too.

Now add 2# of spinach. You can start with fresh leaves that have been
cleaned and wilted in a steamer, then had the moisture squeezed out.
You can take the moisture out by rubbing the leaves with salt. After
all these years, I now use frozen, thaw, and squeeze out the excess
liquid. This is one place where frozen is a time saver and really
tastes just as good as fresh.

Stir spinach and onions together. I just leave everything in the frying
pan and use that for my mixing bowl. If the spinach was hot when you
added it, you need to make sure everything is cool before adding the
eggs so they don't fry. You can do that by adding the cheese first.

Add 2 cups of crumbled feta cheese. As much as I like salt, I soak the
feta in fresh water to de-salt it first. You don't have to do this.
Also add 2 cups of ricotta cheese or any similar fresh curd cheese.
I've substituted cream cheese in a pinch, even a little sour cream. If
the feta is too strong a flavor, you can use more ricotta and less feta.
You could even use grated cheddar or parmesan though that's flying in
the face of traditional. If you're using grated hard cheeses, use less
than the full 4 cups of soft cheeses.

Add 5 eggs (or 4 or 7; really anything goes). Stir the whole mess
together making sure the eggs coat everything. This is now your
spanakopita filling. If you think all Greek food needs oregano, add it
now too, but I've never been able to taste it. Pepper might be good too.

Now layer your phyllo and butter in a baking dish, put the filling in
the middle and layer more phyllo on top. Or you could fold it up into
triangles.

--Lia

Michael

Thank you for the Spanakopita recipe, Lia! It looks delicious.
I'm going to give the saganaki another try this weekend. From
all the great posts I received, I've got some ideas on how to
get it to brown and not to melt.

Michael

Ranee Mueller

In article >, "Carrie-Lou Salter"
> wrote:

> Was just reading a thread where Dog3 posted about his signature dish,
> lasagna. I would consider my signature dish Chicken Parmesan *recipe
> follows*. I was just wondering what everybody else considers their
> signature
> dish(s).

I don't know that I have a signature dish. People always
remember/ask for my pita bread and hummus. I also get lots of requests
for my corn bread and chili.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Michael

Wayne wrote:

For pastry, combine flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Cut in butter
and
lard until particles are about the size of peas. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons
of
ice water over flour mixture, gently combining with a fork. If mixture
doesn't come together in a mass, add an additional tablespoon of ice
water.
Form mixture into a ball, flatten, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30
minutes.

***********************
Thanks for the instructions on making pie crust, Wayne. I've been
reading up on how to do it and there appears to be a lot of ambiguity
on the process. Your directions came across as straightforward.

Normally when I make a pie, I take the lazy way out and simply buy
a quality already-prepared one, but I've decided that I would like to
transform my chocolate pecan pie into a bar recipe, and I'll need to
make the crust myself for a 7" x 11" pan.

Michael

Wayne Boatwright

"Michael" > wrote in news:1102438523.360948.39520
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Thanks for the instructions on making pie crust, Wayne. I've been
> reading up on how to do it and there appears to be a lot of ambiguity
> on the process. Your directions came across as straightforward.
>
> Normally when I make a pie, I take the lazy way out and simply buy
> a quality already-prepared one, but I've decided that I would like to
> transform my chocolate pecan pie into a bar recipe, and I'll need to
> make the crust myself for a 7" x 11" pan.

You're very welcome, Michael. If you need more dough, you can double the
quantites, but I wouldn't increase it beyond that. Just make another batch.
Enjoy!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
sf

On 7 Dec 2004 08:55:23 -0800, "Michael"
> wrote:

> Normally when I make a pie, I take the lazy way out and simply buy
> a quality already-prepared one, but I've decided that I would like to
> transform my chocolate pecan pie into a bar recipe, and I'll need to
> make the crust myself for a 7" x 11" pan.

Wayne's recipe was right on, but you don't need to use a
regular pastry crust for this bar recipe. I'm not sure what
the crust recipe is, but it's a lot more crumbly than the
regular kind.

Maybe someone else can contribute the recipe.

sf

Michael

I have got a graham cracker crust recipe, but I'm nervous about
using it because I think the time and heat necessary to bake a
pecan pie might be too much for a graham cracker crust.

I've also mixed up some powdered sugar, flour, and butter for a
crust for lemon bars, but that doesn't call for a very long or hot
baking session, either.

Thanks for posting!

Michael

Lynn from Fargo

I cook one (evening) meal at work ("psycho-social rehabilitation
center") every day for our members. (folks with severe and persistant
mental illness). Usually I feed anywhere between 12 & 25 people.

I get many requests for my chili con carne and folks call their friends
if the find out I'm making scratch (garlic) mashed potatoes and real
pan gravy.

Lynn from Fargo
Supper's at 6 but try to sign up by 5:30
No charge for members, $1.00 for guests

Wayne Boatwright

"Michael" > wrote in news:1102555541.952305.72200
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I have got a graham cracker crust recipe, but I'm nervous about
> using it because I think the time and heat necessary to bake a
> pecan pie might be too much for a graham cracker crust.
>
> I've also mixed up some powdered sugar, flour, and butter for a
> crust for lemon bars, but that doesn't call for a very long or hot
> baking session, either.
>
> Thanks for posting!
>
> Michael

Michael, take a look at this recipe for Pecan Pie Bars. Even if you use your
filling recipe, this crust might be a good choice.

http://tinyurl.com/49p53

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

"Michael" > wrote in news:1102555541.952305.72200
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I have got a graham cracker crust recipe, but I'm nervous about
> using it because I think the time and heat necessary to bake a
> pecan pie might be too much for a graham cracker crust.
>
> I've also mixed up some powdered sugar, flour, and butter for a
> crust for lemon bars, but that doesn't call for a very long or hot
> baking session, either.
>
> Thanks for posting!
>
> Michael

Michael, take a look at this recipe for Pecan Pie Bars. Even if you use your
filling recipe, this crust might be a good choice.

http://tinyurl.com/49p53

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Michael

Ranee wrote:

I don't know that I have a signature dish. People always
remember/ask for my pita bread and hummus.

***********
Maybe you help me out with my hummus. I made it for
the first time a week ago and it sorta tasted like an old
boot. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't quite right. I took
small amounts of the basic garbanzo bean and tahini
paste and put them in small bowls and experimented
with different amounts of other ingredients. I found I
liked more lemon juice, cumin, and pepper. But I think
that I started out with too much Tahini.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Michael

Michael

Thanks for the pecan bar recipe link, Wayne. I had been thinking that
the
time necessary to bake bars might be less than a pie, but I hadn't
thought
it was that much different. I probably would have burned them if I
tried to
make them without noting the recipe you sent.

Michael

Ranee Mueller

In article .com>,
"Michael" > wrote:

> Maybe you help me out with my hummus. I made it for
> the first time a week ago and it sorta tasted like an old
> boot. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't quite right. I took
> small amounts of the basic garbanzo bean and tahini
> paste and put them in small bowls and experimented
> with different amounts of other ingredients. I found I
> liked more lemon juice, cumin, and pepper. But I think
> that I started out with too much Tahini.
> Any suggestions?

I suppose it's a matter of taste, but here's my recipe:

HUMMUS

1 can (~15-oz) garbanzo beans, drained, 1 Tbsp liquid and 4 beans
reserved
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp tahina
juice of one lemon
1/2 C olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt (I sometimes use up to 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
olive oil
paprika

In either a blender or a medium bowl with a hand held blender, combine
all ingredients except reserved beans, extra olive oil and paprika.
Blend until smooth.

Place in shallow bowl and garnish with reserved garbanzo beans, olive
oil and paprika sprinkled on top. Serve with warm
pita bread.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

In article .com>,
"Michael" > wrote:

> Maybe you help me out with my hummus. I made it for
> the first time a week ago and it sorta tasted like an old
> boot. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't quite right. I took
> small amounts of the basic garbanzo bean and tahini
> paste and put them in small bowls and experimented
> with different amounts of other ingredients. I found I
> liked more lemon juice, cumin, and pepper. But I think
> that I started out with too much Tahini.
> Any suggestions?

I suppose it's a matter of taste, but here's my recipe:

HUMMUS

1 can (~15-oz) garbanzo beans, drained, 1 Tbsp liquid and 4 beans
reserved
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp tahina
juice of one lemon
1/2 C olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt (I sometimes use up to 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
olive oil
paprika

In either a blender or a medium bowl with a hand held blender, combine
all ingredients except reserved beans, extra olive oil and paprika.
Blend until smooth.

Place in shallow bowl and garnish with reserved garbanzo beans, olive
oil and paprika sprinkled on top. Serve with warm
pita bread.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Wayne Boatwright

"Michael" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Thanks for the pecan bar recipe link, Wayne. I had been thinking that
> the
> time necessary to bake bars might be less than a pie, but I hadn't
> thought
> it was that much different. I probably would have burned them if I
> tried to
> make them without noting the recipe you sent.
>
> Michael

I've not made this particularly recipe, but it is similar to one I've made
and can't find. :-) Enjoy!