Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hunt's "Meatloaf Fixins"

After having had personal rave reviews of this sauce and online
rave reviews I finally was able to snag two cans at the grocery
store. I followed the directions t.o. - t.h.e. - l.e.t.t.e.r. Either my
taste buds are shot to hell or everybody loves nursing home
foods. Terrible, terrible disappointment and aggravated that I
wasted food and my time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 tsjoannotjoann wrote:

>After having had personal rave reviews of this sauce and online
>rave reviews I finally was able to snag two cans at the grocery
>store. I followed the directions t.o. - t.h.e. - l.e.t.t.e.r. Either my
>taste buds are shot to hell or everybody loves nursing home
>foods. Terrible, terrible disappointment and aggravated that I
>wasted food and my time.

You'd do far better with canned Hunt's crushed tomatoes seasoned
yourself. Hunt's whole peeled tomatoes squished by hand and seasoned
yourself work well too. I also buy Hunt's diced tomatoes, large dice
and small dice... excellent for pasta sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2021 9:28 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 tsjoannotjoann wrote:
>>
>> After having had personal rave reviews of this sauce and online
>> rave reviews I finally was able to snag two cans at the grocery
>> store. I followed the directions t.o. - t.h.e. - l.e.t.t.e.r. Either my
>> taste buds are shot to hell or everybody loves nursing home
>> foods. Terrible, terrible disappointment and aggravated that I
>> wasted food and my time.

> You'd do far better with canned Hunt's crushed tomatoes seasoned
> yourself. Hunt's whole peeled tomatoes squished by hand and seasoned
> yourself work well too. I also buy Hunt's diced tomatoes, large dice
> and small dice... excellent for pasta sauce.

Tomatoes don't have any place in meatloaf.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 7:29:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> Do I remember correctly that you don't like meatloaf?
>
> Jill

I love it, I just can't hit on a good recipe. This disaster was turned into
soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 8:14:42 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> wrote:
>

> > After having had personal rave reviews of this sauce and online
> > rave reviews I finally was able to snag two cans at the grocery
> > store. I followed the directions t.o. - t.h.e. - l.e.t.t.e.r.
> > Either my taste buds are shot to hell or everybody loves nursing home
> > foods. Terrible, terrible disappointment and aggravated that I
> > wasted food and my time.

> The key for me was Hunts. How they got to be a big name, I am not sure
> but I can't think of a single Hunts product we'd spare a dime on.
>
> Sorry but they are all underspiced salt-laden stuff with added sugar to
> increase the insult.

You're right about the sugar, but the salt they add just means I don't
have to add as much.

What product do you buy that needs to be pre-spiced? I always add
my own.

However, the bottom line is: I like other brands better. Cento or Dei Fratelli
are available at my local grocery and I usually buy those.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 8:30:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 1/15/2021 9:28 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 tsjoannotjoann wrote:
> >>
> >> After having had personal rave reviews of this sauce and online
> >> rave reviews I finally was able to snag two cans at the grocery
> >> store. I followed the directions t.o. - t.h.e. - l.e.t.t.e.r. Either my
> >> taste buds are shot to hell or everybody loves nursing home
> >> foods. Terrible, terrible disappointment and aggravated that I
> >> wasted food and my time.

> > You'd do far better with canned Hunt's crushed tomatoes seasoned
> > yourself. Hunt's whole peeled tomatoes squished by hand and seasoned
> > yourself work well too. I also buy Hunt's diced tomatoes, large dice
> > and small dice... excellent for pasta sauce.
> >

> Tomatoes don't have any place in meatloaf.

In your humble opinion.

I don't really have a dog in the "meatloaf" fight, since I don't like it. But
there are so many ways to make meatloaf, tomatoes can legitimately
figure in there someplace.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"heyjoe" wrote in message ...

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can
and whiskey to accept the things I cannot.

===

Love your sig ))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2021 8:30 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/15/2021 9:28 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 tsjoannotjoann wrote:
>>>
>>> After having had personal rave reviews of this sauce and online
>>> rave reviews I finally was able to snag two cans at the grocery
>>> store. I followed the directions t.o. - t.h.e. - l.e.t.t.e.r.
>>> Either my
>>> taste buds are shot to hell or everybody loves nursing home
>>> foods. Terrible, terrible disappointment and aggravated that I
>>> wasted food and my time.

>> You'd do far better with canned Hunt's crushed tomatoes seasoned
>> yourself. Hunt's whole peeled tomatoes squished by hand and seasoned
>> yourself work well too. I also buy Hunt's diced tomatoes, large dice
>> and small dice... excellent for pasta sauce.
>>

> Tomatoes don't have any place in meatloaf.

My meatloaf never contains anything tomato inside but it's a good thing
on the outside (for me).

I use either plain ketchup or ketchup mixed with a little worcestershire
sauce mixed in. I slather the outside of the meatloaf with it - as much
as it will hold.

This is only *before* baking. It will carmelize somewhat and taste is
somewhat different.
I never add ketchup after baking. I just like that thin layer of it
cooked on the outer edge of the slices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 3:34:38 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 8:14:42 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> > wrote:
> >

> > > After having had personal rave reviews of this sauce and online
> > > rave reviews I finally was able to snag two cans at the grocery
> > > store. I followed the directions t.o. - t.h.e. - l.e.t.t.e.r.
> > > Either my taste buds are shot to hell or everybody loves nursing home
> > > foods. Terrible, terrible disappointment and aggravated that I
> > > wasted food and my time.

> > The key for me was Hunts. How they got to be a big name, I am not sure
> > but I can't think of a single Hunts product we'd spare a dime on.
> >
> > Sorry but they are all underspiced salt-laden stuff with added sugar to
> > increase the insult.

> You're right about the sugar, but the salt they add just means I don't
> have to add as much.
>
> What product do you buy that needs to be pre-spiced? I always add
> my own.
>
> However, the bottom line is: I like other brands better. Cento or Dei Fratelli
> are available at my local grocery and I usually buy those.

Or Contadina or Red Gold. We're going to the Italian grocery this morning.
They sell both Cento and Dei Fratelli, and they're the place to buy Stanislaus,
which is the super premium brand, but it only comes in industrial size cans,
so you have to freeze portions of it. Hunts is not a very good brand of
anything.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 9:46:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 3:34:38 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > The key for me was Hunts. How they got to be a big name, I am not sure
> > > but I can't think of a single Hunts product we'd spare a dime on.
> > >
> > > Sorry but they are all underspiced salt-laden stuff with added sugar to
> > > increase the insult.

> > You're right about the sugar, but the salt they add just means I don't
> > have to add as much.
> >
> > What product do you buy that needs to be pre-spiced? I always add
> > my own.
> >
> > However, the bottom line is: I like other brands better. Cento or Dei Fratelli
> > are available at my local grocery and I usually buy those.
> >

> Or Contadina or Red Gold. We're going to the Italian grocery this morning.
> They sell both Cento and Dei Fratelli, and they're the place to buy Stanislaus,
> which is the super premium brand, but it only comes in industrial size cans,
> so you have to freeze portions of it. Hunts is not a very good brand of
> anything.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> --Bryan

We don't have an Italian grocery, so I think I'll settle for Cento. I don't
use all that much tomato product anyway. A 28 ounce can in a pot
of vegetable soup every week or two; a dab of tomato paste in a pot
of lentil soup every other week or two. Neither of those uses really
exposes the flavor of the tomatoes.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 8:30:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> > > You'd do far better with canned Hunt's crushed tomatoes seasoned
> > > yourself. Hunt's whole peeled tomatoes squished by hand and seasoned
> > > yourself work well too. I also buy Hunt's diced tomatoes, large dice
> > > and small dice... excellent for pasta sauce.
> > >

> > Tomatoes don't have any place in meatloaf.

> In your humble opinion.
>
> I don't really have a dog in the "meatloaf" fight, since I don't like it. But
> there are so many ways to make meatloaf, tomatoes can legitimately
> figure in there someplace.

I'll throw some dehydrated tomater flakes into a meatloaf mix...also some ketchup...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 6:55:32 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> Sounds like the mistake there was adding the half can to the mix.

The directions on the can said to add 3/4 of it to the mix with the
remainder slathered over the top after baking and return to the oven
for another 10 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Hank Rogers wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 6:55:32 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> >>
> >> Sounds like the mistake there was adding the half can to the mix.
> >>

> > The directions on the can said to add 3/4 of it to the mix with the
> > remainder slathered over the top after baking and return to the oven
> > for another 10 minutes.
> >

> I bet that was one disgusting meat loaf.
> Hunt's also sells a spaghetti sauce in cans. I tied it several
> years ago, and it is also truly disgusting. Went back to classico
> brand; costs more but is edible.
>
> There are some packs of meat loaf seasoning mix which are OK, but I
> can't recall any of the brand names.

The John Kuthe brand is called "Beat My Meatloaf"...in a squirt bottle...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I don't really have a dog in the "meatloaf" fight, since I don't like it. But
> there are so many ways to make meatloaf, tomatoes can legitimately
> figure in there someplace.

me either. i've used tomato paste in it for added color
(for the vegetarian version i used to make) and flavor.

i'm pretty sure that Mom's standard version doesn't have
much other than what she would normally do for meatballs
other than some added oatmeal.

the tomatoes are in the ketchup squirted on top before
baking.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 12:53:28 -0800 (PST), GM
> wrote:

>Hank Rogers wrote:
>> wrote:

>> > The directions on the can said to add 3/4 of it to the mix with the
>> > remainder slathered over the top after baking and return to the oven
>> > for another 10 minutes.
>> >

>> I bet that was one disgusting meat loaf.
>> Hunt's also sells a spaghetti sauce in cans. I tied it several
>> years ago, and it is also truly disgusting. Went back to classico
>> brand; costs more but is edible.
>>
>> There are some packs of meat loaf seasoning mix which are OK, but I
>> can't recall any of the brand names.

>The John Kuthe brand is called "Beat My Meatloaf"...in a squirt bottle...

The Kootchie Kit includes forceps and a jeweler's loupe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-16 4:20 p.m., songbird wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> I don't really have a dog in the "meatloaf" fight, since I don't like it. But
>> there are so many ways to make meatloaf, tomatoes can legitimately
>> figure in there someplace.

> me either. i've used tomato paste in it for added color
> (for the vegetarian version i used to make) and flavor.
>
> i'm pretty sure that Mom's standard version doesn't have
> much other than what she would normally do for meatballs
> other than some added oatmeal.
>
> the tomatoes are in the ketchup squirted on top before
> baking.

When I make meatloaf I add about a half cup of ketchup to the meat mix
and I spread some on top before it goes into the oven. Then I have a
little as a condiment when I eat it. It is one of the very few foods
that I have with ketchup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

GM wrote:
> Hank Rogers wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> The directions on the can said to add 3/4 of it to the mix with the
>>> remainder slathered over the top after baking and return to the oven
>>> for another 10 minutes.
>>>

>> I bet that was one disgusting meat loaf.
>> Hunt's also sells a spaghetti sauce in cans. I tied it several
>> years ago, and it is also truly disgusting. Went back to classico
>> brand; costs more but is edible.
>>
>> There are some packs of meat loaf seasoning mix which are OK, but I
>> can't recall any of the brand names.

> The John Kuthe brand is called "Beat My Meatloaf"...in a squirt bottle...

And ... it negates the gasoline you burned to get to the store!!!!!
And ... Mother gaiaia has an orgasm when yoose open it!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 12:53:28 -0800 (PST), GM
> > wrote:
>
>> Hank Rogers wrote:

>>> I bet that was one disgusting meat loaf.
>>> Hunt's also sells a spaghetti sauce in cans. I tied it several
>>> years ago, and it is also truly disgusting. Went back to classico
>>> brand; costs more but is edible.
>>>
>>> There are some packs of meat loaf seasoning mix which are OK, but I
>>> can't recall any of the brand names.

>> The John Kuthe brand is called "Beat My Meatloaf"...in a squirt bottle...

> The Kootchie Kit includes forceps and a jeweler's loupe.

It's perfect for elderly homosexual sailors who spent their navy
days eating pinoy diks at the fantail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-01-16 4:20 p.m., songbird wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> I don't really have a dog in the "meatloaf" fight, since I don't
>>> like it.* But
>>> there are so many ways to make meatloaf, tomatoes can legitimately
>>> figure in there someplace.

>> ** me either.* i've used tomato paste in it for added color
>> (for the vegetarian version i used to make) and flavor.
>>
>> ** i'm pretty sure that Mom's standard version doesn't have
>> much other than what she would normally do for meatballs
>> other than some added oatmeal.
>>
>> ** the tomatoes are in the ketchup squirted on top before
>> baking.

> When I make meatloaf I add about a half cup of ketchup to the meat
> mix and I spread some on top before it goes into the oven.* Then I
> have a little as a condiment when I eat it. It is one of the very
> few foods that I have with ketchup.

Dave, I think that's the shortest story yoose ever told !!!!

Master Druce is probably shitting his britches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Hank Rogers wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> me either. i've used tomato paste in it for added color
> >> (for the vegetarian version i used to make) and flavor.
> >>
> >> i'm pretty sure that Mom's standard version doesn't have
> >> much other than what she would normally do for meatballs
> >> other than some added oatmeal.
> >>
> >> the tomatoes are in the ketchup squirted on top before
> >> baking.

> > When I make meatloaf I add about a half cup of ketchup to the meat
> > mix and I spread some on top before it goes into the oven. Then I
> > have a little as a condiment when I eat it. It is one of the very
> > few foods that I have with ketchup.
> >

> Dave, I think that's the shortest story yoose ever told !!!!

You could make a "word cloud" of Dave's stories and all the "words" would be the same...

> Master Druce is probably shitting his britches.

They are already "shat" - and *permanently*...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 2:49:42 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > The directions on the can said to add 3/4 of it to the mix with the
> > remainder slathered over the top after baking and return to the oven
> > for another 10 minutes.
> >

> I bet that was one disgusting meat loaf.

I turned it into soup with the hamburger as the meat. Highly seasoned, it
turned out great.

> Hunt's also sells a spaghetti sauce in cans. I tied it several
> years ago, and it is also truly disgusting. Went back to classico
> brand; costs more but is edible.

If you really want a good commercial spaghetti sauce try Rao's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 8:59:59 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:

> Well, Joan? Are you Filipino-ish?

I hate to disappoint you, but no.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 19:22:14 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 8:59:59 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Well, Joan? Are you Filipino-ish?
>> >

>I hate to disappoint you, but no.

Damn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> When I make meatloaf I add about a half cup of ketchup to the meat mix
> and I spread some on top before it goes into the oven. Then I have a
> little as a condiment when I eat it.

I only use it as a topping before it goes in the oven.

> It is one of the very few foods
> that I have with ketchup.

I've noticed that many good chefs have no problem using commercial ketchup.

Recently heard Bobby Flay say, "It's a good ingredient to use. No need
to "reinvent the wheel."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-17 8:23 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Â*Dave Smith wrote:
>> When I make meatloaf I add about a half cup of ketchup to the meat mix
>> and I spread some on top before it goes into the oven.Â* Then I have a
>> little as a condiment when I eat it.

> I only use it as a topping before it goes in the oven.
>
>> It is one of the very few foods
>> that I have with ketchup.

> I've noticed that many good chefs have no problem using commercial ketchup.
>
> Recently heard Bobby Flay say, "It's a good ingredient to use. No need
> to "reinvent the wheel."

I did not rant about ketchup. It's just that I don't use it much. I
don't use it on many of the things that other people do, like hot dogs,
hamburgers and fries. There is also the problem of ketchup being so
bland these days. It is weak and runny.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 10:57:07 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-01-17 8:23 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> *Dave Smith wrote:
>>> When I make meatloaf I add about a half cup of ketchup to the meat mix
>>> and I spread some on top before it goes into the oven.* Then I have a
>>> little as a condiment when I eat it.

>> I only use it as a topping before it goes in the oven.
>>
>>> It is one of the very few foods
>>> that I have with ketchup.

>> I've noticed that many good chefs have no problem using commercial ketchup.
>>
>> Recently heard Bobby Flay say, "It's a good ingredient to use. No need
>> to "reinvent the wheel."

>I did not rant about ketchup. It's just that I don't use it much. I
>don't use it on many of the things that other people do, like hot dogs,
>hamburgers and fries. There is also the problem of ketchup being so
>bland these days. It is weak and runny.

We very rarely eat fries. I don't consider that any of those fast
food joints have edible fries, they're all extruded and frozen...
blech! Occasionally I'll prepare fries from whole spuds, large ripple
cuts... but then I'll toss them with oil in a roasting pan and pop
them into a hot oven.

I'll put ketchup on a burger but on meat loaf I like horse radish,
sometimes mixed with ketchup.

I use far more mustard (Guldens) than ketchup. The only way to
prepare good meat loaf is with meat you grind yourself, mystery meat
makes lousy eating no matter how it's used... it's very difficult for
me to accept that proclaimed Foodies ever eat Mystery meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-17 11:24 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 10:57:07 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> Recently heard Bobby Flay say, "It's a good ingredient to use. No need
>>> to "reinvent the wheel."

>> I did not rant about ketchup. It's just that I don't use it much. I
>> don't use it on many of the things that other people do, like hot dogs,
>> hamburgers and fries. There is also the problem of ketchup being so
>> bland these days. It is weak and runny.

> We very rarely eat fries. I don't consider that any of those fast
> food joints have edible fries, they're all extruded and frozen...
> blech! Occasionally I'll prepare fries from whole spuds, large ripple
> cuts... but then I'll toss them with oil in a roasting pan and pop
> them into a hot oven.
>
> I'll put ketchup on a burger but on meat loaf I like horse radish,
> sometimes mixed with ketchup.

Meat loaf is one of the few things that I ketchup on... and in. I add
some horseradish to the meat loaf mix.

> I use far more mustard (Guldens) than ketchup.

We use more mustard than ketchup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> hamburgers and fries. There is also the problem of ketchup being so
> bland these days. It is weak and runny.

the only thing i notice being different about it now is that it
is sweeter, but i'm pretty sure a lot of that has to do with me
not eating as much sugar - even breads and rolls often taste too
sweet to me now.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 3:23:47 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > When I make meatloaf I add about a half cup of ketchup to the meat mix
> > and I spread some on top before it goes into the oven. Then I have a
> > little as a condiment when I eat it.

> I only use it as a topping before it goes in the oven.
> > It is one of the very few foods
> > that I have with ketchup.

> I've noticed that many good chefs have no problem using commercial ketchup.
>
> Recently heard Bobby Flay say, "It's a good ingredient to use. No need
> to "reinvent the wheel."

Chinese cooks like ketchup. It's used as a sweetener and because it "brightens" up a dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 10:24:42 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> We very rarely eat fries. I don't consider that any of those fast
> food joints have edible fries, they're all extruded and frozen...
> blech!

I'll take your word for it that you rarely eat fries or rarely eat out. Not
a single fast food joint I've patronized serves "extruded fries." Frozen,
yes, that's how they can serve truckloads of them daily, extruded, no.

> it's very difficult for
> me to accept that proclaimed Foodies ever eat Mystery meat.

I'm no foodie, never have claimed to be one and never will be one, but
I eat "Mystery meat" quite frequently!