Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default a question of time

How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?

I could segue into the topics of economics and the
prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
another time -

€”
Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 3:45:35 PM UTC-5, RichD wrote:
> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>
> I could segue into the topics of economics and the
> prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
> another time -

Less than an hour, typically. But not much less.

Yesterday I spent considerably more time on both, because
I roasted a turkey.

Would an economic discussion touch on topics like the
best use of time? If I recovered that hour it wouldn't add
a penny to my bank account because I'm salaried. And
I'm not about to get a second job to make more money.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2021 3:53 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 3:45:35 PM UTC-5, RichD wrote:
>> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
>> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>>
>> I could segue into the topics of economics and the
>> prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
>> another time -

> Less than an hour, typically. But not much less.
>
> Yesterday I spent considerably more time on both, because
> I roasted a turkey.
>
> Would an economic discussion touch on topics like the
> best use of time? If I recovered that hour it wouldn't add
> a penny to my bank account because I'm salaried. And
> I'm not about to get a second job to make more money.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

WOW! Talk about being lazy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 2:45:35 PM UTC-6, RichD wrote:
> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>
> I could segue into the topics of economics and the
> prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
> another time -
>
> €”
> Rich

Depends what I'm cooking. I like to keep a lot of stuff like cooked brown rice, baked beans and Garlic Potatoes made up in big batches and in big ole 1980's Rubbermaid containers in the fridge. I'm gonna cook some green beans and carrot slices as a fresh vegetable over a base of rice, beans and Garlic Potatoes as my VSTD Meal this evening.

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-11 3:53 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 3:45:35 PM UTC-5, RichD wrote:
>> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
>> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>>
>> I could segue into the topics of economics and the
>> prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
>> another time -

> Less than an hour, typically. But not much less.
>
> Yesterday I spent considerably more time on both, because
> I roasted a turkey.

I have said in the past that I am not interested in leftovers. I am
re-examining that attitude these days. I have been sticking very closely
to a law salt heart healthy diet for the last 4 months and most of the
recipes are for 4-6 servings. Since they often call for a can of of
something, like beans and or tomatoes, I make the whole recipe rather
than halving it. That leaves us with enough for another dinner, or a
couple lunches.

This morning I spent about 5 minutes in the kitchen to make myself some
cream of wheat, and shortly after that another 5 minutes to toast a
piece of bread and to make myself a latte.

For lunch I reheated some pizza that was leftover from Saturday. It took
about 4 minutes to heat it up on a hot frying pan. While it was warming
up I got out some fruit for dessert.

It took me about 20 minutes of prep time to make ratatouille for supper.
Once it was left to cook I put on a pot of brown Basmati rice. That will
take 39 minutes. I can't count that as kitchen cooking time because I am
not in there. Tomorrow or Wednesday I will have another meal or
ratatouille.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:35:21 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-01-11 3:53 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 3:45:35 PM UTC-5, RichD wrote:
>>> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
>>> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>>>
>>> I could segue into the topics of economics and the
>>> prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
>>> another time -

>> Less than an hour, typically. But not much less.
>>
>> Yesterday I spent considerably more time on both, because
>> I roasted a turkey.
>>

>I have said in the past that I am not interested in leftovers. I am
>re-examining that attitude these days.

Well, that's a wonderful development, Dave! Keep us posted about your
progress!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 2:45:35 PM UTC-6, RichD wrote:

> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>
> Rich

On average, 2 hours tops unless it's something elaborate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 12:45:31 -0800 (PST), RichD wrote:

> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?

Why does it matter to you how much time I spend in the kitchen?
You didn't even say how much time YOU spend in the kitchen.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 15:03:26 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 2:45:35 PM UTC-6, RichD wrote:
>>
>> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
>> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>>
>> Rich
>>

>On average, 2 hours tops unless it's something elaborate.

2 hours seems quite elaborate to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:11:00 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 12:45:31 -0800 (PST), RichD wrote:
>
>> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
>> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?

>Why does it matter to you how much time I spend in the kitchen?
>You didn't even say how much time YOU spend in the kitchen.

lol, you're such a child.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2021 3:45 PM, RichD wrote:
> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?

That is a question for which I have no set answer. Different day,
different amount of time.

> I could segue into the topics of economics and the
> prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
> another time -
>
> €”
> Rich

Feel free. Are you taking a survey?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 5:20:20 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 15:03:26 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 2:45:35 PM UTC-6, RichD wrote:
> >>
> >> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> >> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
> >>
> >> Rich
> >>

> >On average, 2 hours tops unless it's something elaborate.

> 2 hours seems quite elaborate to me.

That's total for the WHOLE day including cleaning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Master Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:35:21 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Less than an hour, typically. But not much less.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I spent considerably more time on both, because
>>> I roasted a turkey.
>>>

>> I have said in the past that I am not interested in leftovers. I am
>> re-examining that attitude these days.

> Well, that's a wonderful development, Dave! Keep us posted about your
> progress!

Yes wonderful. More time for you to sniff his ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Master Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 15:03:26 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 2:45:35 PM UTC-6, RichD wrote:
>>>
>>> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
>>> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>>>
>>> Rich
>>>

>> On average, 2 hours tops unless it's something elaborate.

> 2 hours seems quite elaborate to me.

I'll bet your snout *would* be worn out after two hours of sniffing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:38:16 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 5:20:20 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 15:03:26 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >On average, 2 hours tops unless it's something elaborate.

>> 2 hours seems quite elaborate to me.
>>

>That's total for the WHOLE day including cleaning.

Still, that's a lot of time. You must eat well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD wrote:

> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>
> I could segue into the topics of economics and the
> prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
> another time -
>
> €”
> Rich

Interesting question. I probably spend an average of 1 hour each
weekend day and probably 30 minutes most weekdays. My husband also
cooks so it's a sort of combined thing.

We are efficient cooks so don't waste 30 minutes just 'finding stuff'
like many do. Fairly organized about it all.

Today is a normal exmaple of weekday cooking:

Chicken soup/stew I made over the weekend with fresh bread (also made
this weekend) turned into grilled cheese for lunch. Dinner was steamed
carrots, squash, and last of our mustard greens. Baked apples
(crockpot recipe with butter and cinnamon core). Rice. Brie on a sort
of baked cracker we got for Xmas. Breakfast was fruit (melon and
mango) plus egg over easy with rice on the side.

Pretty much 30 minutes today.

I took out some 'red sauce' (a sort of tomato sauce with spices made
from canned diced and crushed) from the freezer for tomorrow. Probably
make some pasta and might add a kielbasa to it for dinner. Don wants
to make a stir-fry for lunch with rice. We are doing a sort of
Japanese 'omlette' for breakfast that uses eggs, cabbage, chives and a
small amount of batter to form a simple fryable sort of pancake looking
item (takes 20 minutes including chopping cabbage).

We are largely scratch cooks but use a few prepared items.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-01-11 3:53 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 3:45:35 PM UTC-5, RichD wrote:
> > > How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> > > each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
> > >
> > > I could segue into the topics of economics and the
> > > prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
> > > another time -

> > Less than an hour, typically. But not much less.
> >
> > Yesterday I spent considerably more time on both, because
> > I roasted a turkey.
> >

> I have said in the past that I am not interested in leftovers. I am
> re-examining that attitude these days. I have been sticking very
> closely to a law salt heart healthy diet for the last 4 months and
> most of the recipes are for 4-6 servings. Since they often call for a
> can of of something, like beans and or tomatoes, I make the whole
> recipe rather than halving it. That leaves us with enough for
> another dinner, or a couple lunches.
>
> This morning I spent about 5 minutes in the kitchen to make myself
> some cream of wheat, and shortly after that another 5 minutes to
> toast a piece of bread and to make myself a latte.
>
> For lunch I reheated some pizza that was leftover from Saturday. It
> took about 4 minutes to heat it up on a hot frying pan. While it was
> warming up I got out some fruit for dessert.
>
> It took me about 20 minutes of prep time to make ratatouille for
> supper. Once it was left to cook I put on a pot of brown Basmati
> rice. That will take 39 minutes. I can't count that as kitchen
> cooking time because I am not in there. Tomorrow or Wednesday I will
> have another meal or ratatouille.

Same here, I don't count the time not in the kitchen. Making bread is
a classic. Using a machine, it's 5-10 minutes of my own time depending
on if I shape it and how before baking. Total though is about 3.5
hours before it comes out of the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-11 8:33 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

>> It took me about 20 minutes of prep time to make ratatouille for
>> supper. Once it was left to cook I put on a pot of brown Basmati
>> rice. That will take 39 minutes. I can't count that as kitchen
>> cooking time because I am not in there. Tomorrow or Wednesday I will
>> have another meal or ratatouille.

> Same here, I don't count the time not in the kitchen. Making bread is
> a classic. Using a machine, it's 5-10 minutes of my own time depending
> on if I shape it and how before baking. Total though is about 3.5
> hours before it comes out of the oven.

I did a turkey dinner for 6 at Christmas. The bird had to cook for 4.5
hours. It took about 15 minutes to prepare the stuffing, let it cool for
15 minutes, then about 5 minutes to stuff and season the bird.

After it went into the oven I peeled some potatoes and trimmed beans and
put them into pots of cold water to be cooked later. That left me
roughly four hours where I had no cooking to do.

When the turkey came out I put the potatoes on to cook and tackled the
gravy and when it was almost ready I put the carrots on and, a few
minutes later, the beans.

Start to finish was about 5 hours, but actual work time was closer to
one hour.

I have made cold smoked salmon several times. There are several steps.
You start by packing the salmon in a mixture of salt and sugar. It sits
for `12 hours. Then it gets rinsed and put into a saturated brine
solution for 12 hours. When it comes out of that it gets rinsed off,
dried, and brushed with sugar and booze, drying between each coat. It
takes about 30 hours, but there is only about 10 minutes of work involved.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2021 3:45 PM, RichD wrote:
> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>
> I could segue into the topics of economics and the
> prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
> another time -
>
> €”
> Rich

Varies from minutes to hours. Breakfast can take 15 minutes or so.
Lunch can be from two to 10 minutes. Dinner can be 5 minutes to 2 hours
depending on my mood.

I do use prepared food on occasion but generally avoid it as I can do
better. Economics do not enter into it. I have time. I spend time in
the kitchen to prepare a meal because I want to eat a particular meal or
serve it to my guests. There is nothing that I could do by saving time
using prepared food that has economic benefits. I'm retired and my
income is the same no matter what I eat and how long it takes to cook.

Cooking is only a portion of the time to prepare a meal. I've been know
to travel great distances to get a particular ingredient. Do you count
the 90 minutes to get a loaf of rye bread from Widoff's bakery in the
equation? How about the three hours to the Italian market for a
particular cheese?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2021 5:35 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have said in the past that I am not interested in leftovers. I am
> re-examining that attitude these days. I have been sticking very closely
> to a law salt heart healthy diet for the last 4 months and most of the
> recipes are for 4-6 servings. Since they often call for a can of of
> something, like beans and or tomatoes, I make the whole recipe rather
> than halving it.Â* That leaves us with enough for another dinner, or a
> couple lunches.
>
> This morning I spent about 5 minutes in the kitchen to make myself some
> cream of wheat, and shortly after that another 5 minutes to toast a
> piece of bread and to make myself a latte.
>
> For lunch I reheated some pizza that was leftover from Saturday. It took
> about 4 minutes to heat it up on a hot frying pan. While it was warming
> up I got out some fruit for dessert.
>
> It took me about 20 minutes of prep time to make ratatouille for supper.
> Once it was left to cook I put on a pot of brown Basmati rice. That will
> take 39 minutes. I can't count that as kitchen cooking time because I am
> not in there.Â* Tomorrow or Wednesday I will have another meal or
> ratatouille.

I make many meals with the intention of having leftovers. We've always
done that. A pan of lasagna can be portioned and frozen to make today,
tomorrow, February, March.

I may make a pork loin roast one night, a chicken the next and have the
leftovers on alternate nights. When I was working, most of my lunches
were leftovers and often made my coworkers jealous. Except for the
lasagna, as I'd take enough to share.

Tomorrow is risotto. I made it Saturday with the intention of having it
tomorrow also. It is sausage, butternut squash, peas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2021 7:57 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:38:16 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 5:20:20 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 15:03:26 -0800 (PST), "

>>> 2 hours seems quite elaborate to me.
>>>

>> That's total for the WHOLE day including cleaning.

> Still, that's a lot of time. You must eat well.

Not really. Most of us are here because we like to cook and like to eat
well so investing two hours is not a big deal.

I remember going to my grandmother's house on a Sunday and she, along
with my mother and aunt would spend a couple of hours making kalduny for
dinner. Sometimes us kids would help by cutting the dough with an
upside down glass. There would be 11 of us for dinner. It was not just
dinner, it was a family day together. Hand dipped ice cream for
dessert, your choice of flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 23:25:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/11/2021 7:57 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:38:16 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> That's total for the WHOLE day including cleaning.

>> Still, that's a lot of time. You must eat well.
>>

>Not really. Most of us are here because we like to cook and like to eat
>well so investing two hours is not a big deal.
>
>I remember going to my grandmother's house on a Sunday and she, along
>with my mother and aunt would spend a couple of hours making kalduny for
>dinner. Sometimes us kids would help by cutting the dough with an
>upside down glass. There would be 11 of us for dinner. It was not just
>dinner, it was a family day together. Hand dipped ice cream for
>dessert, your choice of flavor.

I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Master Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 23:25:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/2021 7:57 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
>>> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:38:16 -0800 (PST), "

>>> Still, that's a lot of time. You must eat well.
>>>

>> Not really. Most of us are here because we like to cook and like to eat
>> well so investing two hours is not a big deal.
>>
>> I remember going to my grandmother's house on a Sunday and she, along
>> with my mother and aunt would spend a couple of hours making kalduny for
>> dinner. Sometimes us kids would help by cutting the dough with an
>> upside down glass. There would be 11 of us for dinner. It was not just
>> dinner, it was a family day together. Hand dipped ice cream for
>> dessert, your choice of flavor.

> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired

What a shame.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD wrote:
> How much time do the folks here spend in the kitchen
> each day, preparing and cleaning, exclusive of eating?
>
> I could segue into the topics of economics and the
> prepared food industry, but maybe save that for
> another time -

lately as little as possible, but i normally do the
dishes and cook a little here or there. perhaps a half
hour to an hour total.

tomorrow or the next day i'll have a bit of a project
to do so i'll be in the kitchen a bit more for that.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2021 11:32 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired

you spend about 9 times that in here, humpy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 05:53:28 -0500, % > wrote:

>On 1/11/2021 11:32 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
>> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired
>>

>you spend about 9 times that in here, humpy

Yeah, but those are mini work breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2021 5:58 AM, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 05:53:28 -0500, % > wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/2021 11:32 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
>>> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired
>>>

>> you spend about 9 times that in here, humpy

> Yeah, but those are mini work breaks.

riiiight, keep telling yourself that
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 11:32:20 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 23:25:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >On 1/11/2021 7:57 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
> >> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:38:16 -0800 (PST), "

> >> Still, that's a lot of time. You must eat well.
> >>

> >Not really. Most of us are here because we like to cook and like to eat
> >well so investing two hours is not a big deal.
> >
> >I remember going to my grandmother's house on a Sunday and she, along
> >with my mother and aunt would spend a couple of hours making kalduny for
> >dinner. Sometimes us kids would help by cutting the dough with an
> >upside down glass. There would be 11 of us for dinner. It was not just
> >dinner, it was a family day together. Hand dipped ice cream for
> >dessert, your choice of flavor.

> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired

I'm not retired, but I could afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking if I
wanted to have dinner at bedtime.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> I have made cold smoked salmon several times. There are several steps.
> You start by packing the salmon in a mixture of salt and sugar. It sits
> for `12 hours. Then it gets rinsed and put into a saturated brine
> solution for 12 hours. When it comes out of that it gets rinsed off,
> dried, and brushed with sugar and booze, drying between each coat. It
> takes about 30 hours, but there is only about 10 minutes of work involved.

OK, I'm curious. ASSuming you start with raw salmon, where is the
"smoked" part?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 08:55:18 -0500, Gary wrote:

> OK, I'm curious. ASSuming you start with raw salmon, where is the
> "smoked" part?

Yeah, I would say salted / brined / marinated. Maybe Steve knows the
exact word for that sequence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-12 5:53 a.m., % wrote:
> On 1/11/2021 11:32 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
>> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired
>>

> you spend about 9 times that in here, humpy

How else can he be expected to snipe at everything else that is posted?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-12 8:55 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> I have made cold smoked salmon several times. There are several steps.
>> You start by packing the salmon in a mixture of salt and sugar.Â* It sits
>> for `12 hours. Then it gets rinsed and put into a saturated brine
>> solution for 12 hours. When it comes out of that it gets rinsed off,
>> dried, and brushed with sugar and booze, drying between each coat.Â* It
>> takes about 30 hours, but there isÂ* only about 10 minutes of work
>> involved.

> OK, I'm curious. ASSuming you start with raw salmon, where is the
> "smoked" part?

It is cold smoked. Once the booze and sugar stage is complete smoking is
actually option. If you do smoke it, it gets only about 10 minutes at
110F. Again.... time but nor work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>On 1/11/2021 5:35 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> I have said in the past that I am not interested in leftovers. I am
>> re-examining that attitude these days. I have been sticking very closely
>> to a law salt heart healthy diet for the last 4 months and most of the
>> recipes are for 4-6 servings. Since they often call for a can of of
>> something, like beans and or tomatoes, I make the whole recipe rather
>> than halving it.A That leaves us with enough for another dinner, or a
>> couple lunches.
>>
>> This morning I spent about 5 minutes in the kitchen to make myself some
>> cream of wheat, and shortly after that another 5 minutes to toast a
>> piece of bread and to make myself a latte.
>>
>> For lunch I reheated some pizza that was leftover from Saturday. It took
>> about 4 minutes to heat it up on a hot frying pan. While it was warming
>> up I got out some fruit for dessert.
>>
>> It took me about 20 minutes of prep time to make ratatouille for supper.
>> Once it was left to cook I put on a pot of brown Basmati rice. That will
>> take 39 minutes. I can't count that as kitchen cooking time because I am
>> not in there.A Tomorrow or Wednesday I will have another meal or
>> ratatouille.

>I make many meals with the intention of having leftovers. We've always
>done that. A pan of lasagna can be portioned and frozen to make today,
>tomorrow, February, March.
>
>I may make a pork loin roast one night, a chicken the next and have the
>leftovers on alternate nights. When I was working, most of my lunches
>were leftovers and often made my coworkers jealous. Except for the
>lasagna, as I'd take enough to share.
>
>Tomorrow is risotto. I made it Saturday with the intention of having it
>tomorrow also. It is sausage, butternut squash, peas.

how do you prepare the leftover risotto? I like to make risotto cakes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 03:46:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 11:32:20 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:

>> >Not really. Most of us are here because we like to cook and like to eat
>> >well so investing two hours is not a big deal.
>> >
>> >I remember going to my grandmother's house on a Sunday and she, along
>> >with my mother and aunt would spend a couple of hours making kalduny for
>> >dinner. Sometimes us kids would help by cutting the dough with an
>> >upside down glass. There would be 11 of us for dinner. It was not just
>> >dinner, it was a family day together. Hand dipped ice cream for
>> >dessert, your choice of flavor.

>> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired
>>

>I'm not retired, but I could afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking if I
>wanted to have dinner at bedtime.

Which you don't or you'd call it dinner time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>On Monday, January 11, 2021 Master Bruce wrote:

>> >Not really. Most of us are here because we like to cook and like to eat
>> >well so investing two hours is not a big deal.
>> >
>> >I remember going to my grandmother's house on a Sunday and she, along
>> >with my mother and aunt would spend a couple of hours making kalduny for
>> >dinner. Sometimes us kids would help by cutting the dough with an
>> >upside down glass. There would be 11 of us for dinner. It was not just
>> >dinner, it was a family day together. Hand dipped ice cream for
>> >dessert, your choice of flavor.

>> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired
>>

>I'm not retired, but I could afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking if I
>wanted to have dinner at bedtime.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I cook the same way I did in the Navy, I get everything for the entire
day ready well before breakfast, often some the night before. I
cooked on average for 350 and did all the cooking myself with the
galley secured. The biggest time waster is having someone help, just
get in each other's way. We had three cooks on board and rotated work
stations every three months. One did all the baking, mostly at night.
The baker and cook each used a different section of the galley, so
never got in each other's space. The third station was the spud
locker, a seperate compartment for
prepping all the veggies/salads and also made the ice cream. There's
not a lot of space on a war ship, the galley was not much larger than
a typical home kitchen, but arranged very differently. We had no
stove and no pots and pans, we had stacked ovens like for pizza,
rather than skillets we used large roasting pans, We had two large
griddles (36" X 48"), and three steam jacketed kettles, 80 quarts
each. One large mixing machine, 60 quarts. One large slicing
machine. One large deep fryer. One large rotary bread toaster...
being it was more than 60 years ago I'm sure I omited some items.
We couldn't pull up to Walmart for provisions, there were no stores at
sea other than from a supply ship... typically they highlined more
than we had storage space, a lot of food came in one side and was deep
sixed out the other side... many cases of the best frozen beef you
ever saw went to feed the crabs. I haven't had better filet mignon
since. The US military eats the best chow on the planet, especially
the Navy. And the cooks chose the best of the best. Truth be told I
never ate the food on the day's menu, after boning 25 large hams I
didn't really feel like eating ham. We had two types of bacon, whole
slabs that needed slicing and prefried canned bacon,
petrified bacon... was actually very good, a can paid our toll on the
CT Pike... sometimes baked goods, bear claws were always appreciated.
https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/1...ear-claws.html
In those days in uniform my money was no good, in bars, restaurants,
movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
that they'd never do with hubby.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

% wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 5:58 AM, Master Bruce wrote:

>>> you spend about 9 times that in here, humpy

>> Yeah, but those are mini work breaks.
>>

> riiiight, keep telling yourself that

He needs a short break and quick sniff frequently to keep his work
output high.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 2:22:04 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I can't afford to spend 14 hours a week cooking. We're not all retired
> >>

> >I'm not retired, but I could afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking if I
> >wanted to have dinner at bedtime.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I cook the same way I did in the Navy, I get everything for the entire
> day ready well before breakfast, often some the night before. I
> cooked on average for 350 and did all the cooking myself with the
> galley secured. The biggest time waster is having someone help, just
> get in each other's way. We had three cooks on board and rotated work
> stations every three months. One did all the baking, mostly at night.
> The baker and cook each used a different section of the galley, so
> never got in each other's space. The third station was the spud
> locker, a seperate compartment for
> prepping all the veggies/salads and also made the ice cream. There's
> not a lot of space on a war ship, the galley was not much larger than
> a typical home kitchen, but arranged very differently. We had no
> stove and no pots and pans, we had stacked ovens like for pizza,
> rather than skillets we used large roasting pans, We had two large
> griddles (36" X 48"), and three steam jacketed kettles, 80 quarts
> each. One large mixing machine, 60 quarts. One large slicing
> machine. One large deep fryer. One large rotary bread toaster...
> being it was more than 60 years ago I'm sure I omited some items.
> We couldn't pull up to Walmart for provisions, there were no stores at
> sea other than from a supply ship... typically they highlined more
> than we had storage space, a lot of food came in one side and was deep
> sixed out the other side... many cases of the best frozen beef you
> ever saw went to feed the crabs. I haven't had better filet mignon
> since. The US military eats the best chow on the planet, especially
> the Navy. And the cooks chose the best of the best. Truth be told I
> never ate the food on the day's menu, after boning 25 large hams I
> didn't really feel like eating ham. We had two types of bacon, whole
> slabs that needed slicing and prefried canned bacon,
> petrified bacon... was actually very good, a can paid our toll on the
> CT Pike... sometimes baked goods, bear claws were always appreciated.
> https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/1...ear-claws.html
> In those days in uniform my money was no good, in bars, restaurants,
> movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
> bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
> some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
> suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
> that they'd never do with hubby.

Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 1:47:12 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 2:22:04 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> > >I'm not retired, but I could afford to spend 2 hours a day cooking if I
> > >wanted to have dinner at bedtime.
> > >
> > >Cindy Hamilton

> > I cook the same way I did in the Navy, I get everything for the entire
> > day ready well before breakfast, often some the night before. I
> > cooked on average for 350 and did all the cooking myself with the
> > galley secured. The biggest time waster is having someone help, just
> > get in each other's way. We had three cooks on board and rotated work
> > stations every three months. One did all the baking, mostly at night.
> > The baker and cook each used a different section of the galley, so
> > never got in each other's space. The third station was the spud
> > locker, a seperate compartment for
> > prepping all the veggies/salads and also made the ice cream. There's
> > not a lot of space on a war ship, the galley was not much larger than
> > a typical home kitchen, but arranged very differently. We had no
> > stove and no pots and pans, we had stacked ovens like for pizza,
> > rather than skillets we used large roasting pans, We had two large
> > griddles (36" X 48"), and three steam jacketed kettles, 80 quarts
> > each. One large mixing machine, 60 quarts. One large slicing
> > machine. One large deep fryer. One large rotary bread toaster...
> > being it was more than 60 years ago I'm sure I omited some items.
> > We couldn't pull up to Walmart for provisions, there were no stores at
> > sea other than from a supply ship... typically they highlined more
> > than we had storage space, a lot of food came in one side and was deep
> > sixed out the other side... many cases of the best frozen beef you
> > ever saw went to feed the crabs. I haven't had better filet mignon
> > since. The US military eats the best chow on the planet, especially
> > the Navy. And the cooks chose the best of the best. Truth be told I
> > never ate the food on the day's menu, after boning 25 large hams I
> > didn't really feel like eating ham. We had two types of bacon, whole
> > slabs that needed slicing and prefried canned bacon,
> > petrified bacon... was actually very good, a can paid our toll on the
> > CT Pike... sometimes baked goods, bear claws were always appreciated.
> > https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/1...ear-claws.html
> > In those days in uniform my money was no good, in bars, restaurants,
> > movies, etc. Many of my best treats were on the Greyhound busses
> > bringing me back to my ship in Rhode Island late at night, usually
> > some stacked broad got into the seat next to me. Yoose be very
> > suprised at what some young married woman will do with a salty sailer
> > that they'd never do with hubby.

> Nice wall of text. I lost interest at "the night before".
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Then you missed the last sentences that he wrote! Sheldon often has some sort of "tickler" at end of his long posts to keep us "interested" aka "saving the best for last":

--
Best
Greg