Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Fudge

I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
just easy.
Fudge
Janet Bostwick
12/2020
1 pound powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
6 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla
dash salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
exactly what I do/

Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
well blended.

Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
no lumps.
When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
desired.
Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
Let cool completely before cutting.

If you line the pan with parchment paper after buttering the pan you
will be able to lift out the entire fudge so that you can cut it
neatly.

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 21:47:38 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
> just easy.
> Fudge
> Janet Bostwick
> 12/2020
> 1 pound powdered sugar
> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
> 6 Tablespoons butter
> 4 Tablespoons milk
> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
> dash salt
> 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
>
> There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
> exactly what I do/
>
> Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
> Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
> Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
> well blended.
>
> Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
> boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
> stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
> no lumps.
> When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
> desired.
> Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
> Let cool completely before cutting.

This the REAL fudge recipe I've been using lately. Its a PITA
stirring, but turns out awesome shit. Next time (my 5th) I'll
trying using the kitchenaid mixer. I've tried your quick fudge
before and it's just not nearly the same. I also do teh marshmallow
fudge pretty often -- I'm eating it now - white chocolate & caramel
this time.

https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en...coa-fudge.html

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 6:47:49 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
> just easy.
> Fudge
> Janet Bostwick
> 12/2020
> 1 pound powdered sugar
> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
> 6 Tablespoons butter
> 4 Tablespoons milk
> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
> dash salt
> 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
>
> There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
> exactly what I do/
>
> Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
> Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
> Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
> well blended.
>
> Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
> boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
> stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
> no lumps.
> When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
> desired.
> Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
> Let cool completely before cutting.
>
> If you line the pan with parchment paper after buttering the pan you
> will be able to lift out the entire fudge so that you can cut it
> neatly.
>
> Janet

The important part is that you have to continuously stir the cooling mixture until it reaches a critical temperature. At that point, the mixture will start to have a dull appearance. This is caused by the crystallizing sugar and you have a few seconds to dump it into a pan or table before that whole mix freezes up on you. It's a nerve-racking experience for most cooks.
My son makes awesome fudge by using marshmallows. This makes fudge making way too easy although, you will have the additional expense of having to buy some marshmallows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 6:47:49 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
> just easy.
> Fudge
> Janet Bostwick
> 12/2020
> 1 pound powdered sugar
> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
> 6 Tablespoons butter
> 4 Tablespoons milk
> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
> dash salt
> 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
>
> There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
> exactly what I do/
>
> Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
> Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
> Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
> well blended.
>
> Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
> boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
> stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
> no lumps.
> When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
> desired.
> Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
> Let cool completely before cutting.
>
> If you line the pan with parchment paper after buttering the pan you
> will be able to lift out the entire fudge so that you can cut it
> neatly.
>
> Janet

I didn't notice that you're using powdered sugar in your recipe so there probably is on critical temperature involved. I've never done it this way but it seems intriguing. I'll have to try it. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fudge

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
news

> I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
> just easy.
> Fudge
> Janet Bostwick
> 12/2020
> 1 pound powdered sugar
> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
> 6 Tablespoons butter
> 4 Tablespoons milk
> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
> dash salt
> 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
>
> There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
> exactly what I do/
>
> Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
> Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
> Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
> well blended.
>
> Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
> boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
> stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
> no lumps.
> When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
> desired.
> Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
> Let cool completely before cutting.
>
> If you line the pan with parchment paper after buttering the pan you
> will be able to lift out the entire fudge so that you can cut it
> neatly.
>
> Janet

I've been making that since I was a kid. It was in my Betty Crocker Boys and
Girls cookbook. I used to make it for my brother and his friends. I made it
without nuts for him as he wouldn't eat nuts. Sometimes I would let it cool
enough to handle, then form it into balls and roll in jimmies/shot or
non-pareils. You can also add peanut butter instead of nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 6:47:49 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
>> just easy.
>> Fudge
>> Janet Bostwick
>> 12/2020
>> 1 pound powdered sugar
>> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
>> 6 Tablespoons butter
>> 4 Tablespoons milk
>> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
>> dash salt
>> 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
>>
>> There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
>> exactly what I do/
>>
>> Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
>> Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
>> Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
>> well blended.
>>
>> Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
>> boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
>> stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
>> no lumps.
>> When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
>> desired.
>> Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
>> Let cool completely before cutting.
>>
>> If you line the pan with parchment paper after buttering the pan you
>> will be able to lift out the entire fudge so that you can cut it
>> neatly.
>>
>> Janet

> I didn't notice that you're using powdered sugar in your recipe so there
> probably is on critical temperature involved. I've never done it this way
> but it seems intriguing. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

Like Steve said, it's not the same as regular fudge but it's easy to make.

This one is even quicker. She has various versions of it. I used peanut
butter instead of the cashews. The problem? I can't find brown rice syrup
anywhere except for an Asian produce and from what I've read, it's not at
all the same as what I used to buy. The stuff I used to buy was very thick.
I've bought various other syrups, but they're always too thin. If you're not
vegan, you can use real butter.

https://createtv.com/CreateProgram.n...colate%20Fudge

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 02:03:19 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> The problem? I can't find brown rice syrup anywhere
> [...] The stuff I used to buy was very thick.

This probably won't help you any, but for the Canadians here, I noticed
thick brown rice syrup at "Bulk Barn" yesterday.

Also, *everything* needed to decorate cakes. (Colourings, flavourings,
stabilizers, emulsifiers, forms (molds), sprinkles, ect.)

I was just buying bird seed and factory-wrapped oversize 'Life-
Savers' (tm). Even with everyone wearing masks AND disposable gloves
provided at the door, I'm still not keen on buying stuff in bulk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 21:47:38 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
> just easy.
> Fudge
> Janet Bostwick
> 12/2020
> 1 pound powdered sugar
> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
> 6 Tablespoons butter
> 4 Tablespoons milk
> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
> dash salt
> 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
>
> There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
> exactly what I do/
>
> Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
> Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
> Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
> well blended.
>
> Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
> boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
> stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
> no lumps.
> When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
> desired.
> Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
> Let cool completely before cutting.
>
> If you line the pan with parchment paper after buttering the pan you
> will be able to lift out the entire fudge so that you can cut it
> neatly.
>
> Janet

Used to make fudge years ago and some Canadian friends asked for the
recipe. Oh Dear! They cooked it beyond the soft ball stage and it set hard
in the pan - which they had to throw out:-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 22:10:52 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 6:47:49 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
>> just easy.
>> Fudge
>> Janet Bostwick
>> 12/2020
>> 1 pound powdered sugar
>> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
>> 6 Tablespoons butter
>> 4 Tablespoons milk
>> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
>> dash salt
>> 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
>>
>> There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
>> exactly what I do/
>>
>> Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
>> Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
>> Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
>> well blended.
>>
>> Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
>> boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
>> stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
>> no lumps.
>> When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
>> desired.
>> Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
>> Let cool completely before cutting.
>>
>> If you line the pan with parchment paper after buttering the pan you
>> will be able to lift out the entire fudge so that you can cut it
>> neatly.
>>
>> Janet

>I didn't notice that you're using powdered sugar in your recipe so there probably is on critical temperature involved. I've never done it this way but it seems intriguing. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

I don't have candy making skills so anything I give you will be the
easy way.
I'm no good with thermometer, it steams up, then I'm too late, or I
get some sugar high on the side of the pot and everything granulates.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2020 8:17 AM, Graham wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 21:47:38 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
>> just easy.
>> Fudge
>> Janet Bostwick
>> 12/2020
>> 1 pound powdered sugar
>> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
>> 6 Tablespoons butter
>> 4 Tablespoons milk
>> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
>> dash salt
>> 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
>>
>> There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
>> exactly what I do/
>>
>> Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
>> Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
>> Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
>> well blended.
>>
>> Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
>> boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
>> stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
>> no lumps.
>> When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
>> desired.
>> Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
>> Let cool completely before cutting.
>>
>> If you line the pan with parchment paper after buttering the pan you
>> will be able to lift out the entire fudge so that you can cut it
>> neatly.
>>
>> Janet

> Used to make fudge years ago and some Canadian friends asked for the
> recipe. Oh Dear! They cooked it beyond the soft ball stage and it set hard
> in the pan - which they had to throw out:-(

Wasteful. They should have reclaimed that dud batch and made good fudge
with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 10:10:58 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>I don't have candy making skills so anything I give you will be the
>easy way.
>I'm no good with thermometer, it steams up, then I'm too late, or I
>get some sugar high on the side of the pot and everything granulates.
>Janet US

Maybe this would work for you, makes a presentable fudge.

TRISHS VANILLA FUDGE

½ cup butter ~ 1 cup white sugar ~ 1 cup brown sugar
Cream together
Add
Ό cup corn syrup ~ I can condensed milk
Blend well.
Microwave on high, stirring after each minute until rolling boil.
(Use really large pan/bowl)
Back in microwave for six minutes –
Beat – spread in 4 qt dish.

(The recipe is great – I think it varies with one’s microwave, for
instance in mine, after it comes to the rolling boil, four minutes is
just right, it should be whitish in colour. Do use the largest bowl
you can, it boils up !
While you have to stand there and keep stirring each minute, the whole
thing is complete far faster than any other fudge I have ever made and
this does seem to be no fail, whether a wet or dry day)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 11:28:40 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> This the REAL fudge recipe I've been using lately. Its a PITA
> stirring, but turns out awesome shit. Next time (my 5th) I'll
> trying using the kitchenaid mixer.
>
> https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en...coa-fudge.html
>
> -sw

This is the fudge my mother always made and the recipe was on the side of
the can, do they still put on the can? Anyway, I can remember her cooking it
and cooking it and cooking it and we kids thought it would never reach the
softball stage as we did not have a candy thermometer. Even without the
candy thermometer, she knew exactly when to start beating it so it would
be *just right* to pour into a large oval platter to finish setting up.

It just wasn't Christmas without a covered candy dish full of fudge squares.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 14:03:44 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 11:28:40 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> This the REAL fudge recipe I've been using lately. Its a PITA
>> stirring, but turns out awesome shit. Next time (my 5th) I'll
>> trying using the kitchenaid mixer.
>>
>> https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en...coa-fudge.html
>>
>> -sw
>>

>This is the fudge my mother always made and the recipe was on the side of
>the can, do they still put on the can? Anyway, I can remember her cooking it
>and cooking it and cooking it and we kids thought it would never reach the
>softball stage as we did not have a candy thermometer. Even without the
>candy thermometer, she knew exactly when to start beating it so it would
>be *just right* to pour into a large oval platter to finish setting up.
>
>It just wasn't Christmas without a covered candy dish full of fudge squares.

My favorite fudge was a Welches Fudge bar... I don't think they are
sold anymore. When I was very young my uncle sold them at his grocery
store in the southern Catskills, Woodridge, and I'd steal lots of
them, at five years old I couldn't resist that chocolately goodness,
of course his son Robby, my cousin couldn't resist either. We'd both
pig out on candy from the store. One day we both pigged out on
butter, we each ate an entire 1/4 pound stick of butter and boy did we
get sick.

When we got older Robby (Robert) turned from being a best friend to
being a shit... I haven't spoken to him in over 60 years, we're both
close to eighty he could be dead for all I know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 19:05:50 -0500, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 14:03:44 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 11:28:40 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> This the REAL fudge recipe I've been using lately. Its a PITA
>>> stirring, but turns out awesome shit. Next time (my 5th) I'll
>>> trying using the kitchenaid mixer.
>>>
>>> https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en...coa-fudge.html
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>>This is the fudge my mother always made and the recipe was on the side of
>>the can, do they still put on the can? Anyway, I can remember her cooking it
>>and cooking it and cooking it and we kids thought it would never reach the
>>softball stage as we did not have a candy thermometer. Even without the
>>candy thermometer, she knew exactly when to start beating it so it would
>>be *just right* to pour into a large oval platter to finish setting up.
>>
>>It just wasn't Christmas without a covered candy dish full of fudge squares.

> My favorite fudge was a Welches Fudge bar... I don't think they are
> sold anymore.

Looks like there's a lot of activity replacing/re-making it.

https://www.facebook.com/Welchs-Fudg...9368918472789/

> When we got older Robby (Robert) turned from being a best friend to
> being a shit... I haven't spoken to him in over 60 years, we're both
> close to eighty he could be dead for all I know.

I bet it's mutual.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike Duffy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 02:03:19 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> The problem? I can't find brown rice syrup anywhere
>> [...] The stuff I used to buy was very thick.

> This probably won't help you any, but for the Canadians here, I noticed
> thick brown rice syrup at "Bulk Barn" yesterday.
>
> Also, *everything* needed to decorate cakes. (Colourings, flavourings,
> stabilizers, emulsifiers, forms (molds), sprinkles, ect.)
>
> I was just buying bird seed and factory-wrapped oversize 'Life-
> Savers' (tm). Even with everyone wearing masks AND disposable gloves
> provided at the door, I'm still not keen on buying stuff in bulk.

I just looked again after I posted this! I see that it's available gin. I
used to buy the Lundberg's. I believe Amazon has it now.

When I tired to get it before was when that big to do about rice and arsenic
was all over the news. I suspect that the brown rice syrup was high in
arsenic so was pulled from the market. Whole Foods has it again, but not the
brand I used to buy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 22:10:52 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 6:47:49 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> I got this recipe so long ago I can't remember the circumstances. It's
>>> just easy.
>>> Fudge
>>> Janet Bostwick
>>> 12/2020
>>> 1 pound powdered sugar
>>> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
>>> 6 Tablespoons butter
>>> 4 Tablespoons milk
>>> 1 Tablespoon vanilla
>>> dash salt
>>> 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
>>>
>>> There are no instructions with this recipe card, so I'll tell you
>>> exactly what I do/
>>>
>>> Butter sides and bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
>>> Measure the milk and butter into a 3 or 4 quart heavy pot.
>>> Measure out the powdered sugar,salt and cocoa and sift or stir until
>>> well blended.
>>>
>>> Heat (at medium temperature) the milk and butter mixture until almost
>>> boiling. Stir in the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and stir, stir,
>>> stir. The point is you want to create a smooth, glossy mixture with
>>> no lumps.
>>> When the mixture is smooth and glossy stir in the vanilla and nuts if
>>> desired.
>>> Immediately pour into prepared pan and smooth surface.
>>> Let cool completely before cutting.
>>>
>>> If you line the pan with parchment paper after buttering the pan you
>>> will be able to lift out the entire fudge so that you can cut it
>>> neatly.
>>>
>>> Janet

>>I didn't notice that you're using powdered sugar in your recipe so there
>>probably is on critical temperature involved. I've never done it this way
>>but it seems intriguing. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

> I don't have candy making skills so anything I give you will be the
> easy way.
> I'm no good with thermometer, it steams up, then I'm too late, or I
> get some sugar high on the side of the pot and everything granulates.
> Janet US

I used to make tons of candy. The thermometer always failed me. I used the
cold water test.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon Martin" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 14:03:44 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 11:28:40 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> This the REAL fudge recipe I've been using lately. Its a PITA
>>> stirring, but turns out awesome shit. Next time (my 5th) I'll
>>> trying using the kitchenaid mixer.
>>>
>>> https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en...coa-fudge.html
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>>This is the fudge my mother always made and the recipe was on the side of
>>the can, do they still put on the can? Anyway, I can remember her cooking
>>it
>>and cooking it and cooking it and we kids thought it would never reach the
>>softball stage as we did not have a candy thermometer. Even without the
>>candy thermometer, she knew exactly when to start beating it so it would
>>be *just right* to pour into a large oval platter to finish setting up.
>>
>>It just wasn't Christmas without a covered candy dish full of fudge
>>squares.

> My favorite fudge was a Welches Fudge bar... I don't think they are
> sold anymore. When I was very young my uncle sold them at his grocery
> store in the southern Catskills, Woodridge, and I'd steal lots of
> them, at five years old I couldn't resist that chocolately goodness,
> of course his son Robby, my cousin couldn't resist either. We'd both
> pig out on candy from the store. One day we both pigged out on
> butter, we each ate an entire 1/4 pound stick of butter and boy did we
> get sick.

<snip>

I never liked candy bars very much but I did like that one. It was the only
candy bar I bought, until they stopped making them. It was also cheaper. 5
cents for that. Most other bars were 10 cents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 9:12:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> "Sheldon Martin" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 14:03:44 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:

> >>This is the fudge my mother always made and the recipe was on the side of
> >>the can, do they still put on the can? Anyway, I can remember her cooking
> >>it
> >>and cooking it and cooking it and we kids thought it would never reach the
> >>softball stage as we did not have a candy thermometer. Even without the
> >>candy thermometer, she knew exactly when to start beating it so it would
> >>be *just right* to pour into a large oval platter to finish setting up.
> >>
> >>It just wasn't Christmas without a covered candy dish full of fudge
> >>squares.

> > My favorite fudge was a Welches Fudge bar... I don't think they are
> > sold anymore. When I was very young my uncle sold them at his grocery
> > store in the southern Catskills, Woodridge, and I'd steal lots of
> > them, at five years old I couldn't resist that chocolately goodness,
> > of course his son Robby, my cousin couldn't resist either. We'd both
> > pig out on candy from the store. One day we both pigged out on
> > butter, we each ate an entire 1/4 pound stick of butter and boy did we
> > get sick.

> <snip>
>
> I never liked candy bars very much but I did like that one. It was the only
> candy bar I bought, until they stopped making them. It was also cheaper. 5
> cents for that. Most other bars were 10 cents.

That's cos your price for a hand job was a nickel, for a blow job a dime...since you didn't like to swallow, those dime bars entailed much more work for you...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2020 4:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 19:05:50 -0500, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 14:03:44 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>>> This is the fudge my mother always made and the recipe was on the side of
>>> the can, do they still put on the can? Anyway, I can remember her cooking it
>>> and cooking it and cooking it and we kids thought it would never reach the
>>> softball stage as we did not have a candy thermometer. Even without the
>>> candy thermometer, she knew exactly when to start beating it so it would
>>> be *just right* to pour into a large oval platter to finish setting up.
>>>
>>> It just wasn't Christmas without a covered candy dish full of fudge squares.

>> My favorite fudge was a Welches Fudge bar... I don't think they are
>> sold anymore.

> Looks like there's a lot of activity replacing/re-making it.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/Welchs-Fudg...9368918472789/
>
>> When we got older Robby (Robert) turned from being a best friend to
>> being a shit... I haven't spoken to him in over 60 years, we're both
>> close to eighty he could be dead for all I know.

> I bet it's mutual.
>
> -sw

The dead part?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2020 12:46 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 10:10:58 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>

>> I don't have candy making skills so anything I give you will be the
>> easy way.
>> I'm no good with thermometer, it steams up, then I'm too late, or I
>> get some sugar high on the side of the pot and everything granulates.
>> Janet US

> Maybe this would work for you, makes a presentable fudge.
>
> TRISHS VANILLA FUDGE
>
> Β½ cup butter ~ 1 cup white sugar ~ 1 cup brown sugar
> Cream together
> Add
> ΒΌ cup corn syrup ~ I can condensed milk
> Blend well.
> Microwave on high, stirring after each minute until rolling boil.
> (Use really large pan/bowl)
> Back in microwave for six minutes €“
> Beat €“ spread in 4 qt dish.
>
> (The recipe is great €“ I think it varies with ones microwave, for
> instance in mine, after it comes to the rolling boil, four minutes is
> just right, it should be whitish in colour. Do use the largest bowl
> you can, it boils up !
> While you have to stand there and keep stirring each minute, the whole
> thing is complete far faster than any other fudge I have ever made and
> this does seem to be no fail, whether a wet or dry day)

This sounds interesting but should it contain vanilla extract since it's
called 'Vanilla Fudge'? Just wondering if there's a missing ingredient
or if that's just the name of it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 19:00:44 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/2/2020 12:46 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 10:10:58 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't have candy making skills so anything I give you will be the
>>> easy way.
>>> I'm no good with thermometer, it steams up, then I'm too late, or I
>>> get some sugar high on the side of the pot and everything granulates.
>>> Janet US

>> Maybe this would work for you, makes a presentable fudge.
>>
>> TRISHS VANILLA FUDGE
>>
>> ½ cup butter ~ 1 cup white sugar ~ 1 cup brown sugar
>> Cream together
>> Add
>> Ό cup corn syrup ~ I can condensed milk
>> Blend well.
>> Microwave on high, stirring after each minute until rolling boil.
>> (Use really large pan/bowl)
>> Back in microwave for six minutes –
>> Beat – spread in 4 qt dish.
>>
>> (The recipe is great – I think it varies with one’s microwave, for
>> instance in mine, after it comes to the rolling boil, four minutes is
>> just right, it should be whitish in colour. Do use the largest bowl
>> you can, it boils up !
>> While you have to stand there and keep stirring each minute, the whole
>> thing is complete far faster than any other fudge I have ever made and
>> this does seem to be no fail, whether a wet or dry day)
>>

>This sounds interesting but should it contain vanilla extract since it's
>called 'Vanilla Fudge'? Just wondering if there's a missing ingredient
>or if that's just the name of it.
>
>Jill

Nothing stopping anyone adding anything they want! Do you always do
exactly what a recipe says? With the exception of Yorkshire Puddings,
I rarely to never measure anything. If I don't like something, I leave
it out, if I like something, I may add more than the recipe says.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2020 8:04 AM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 19:00:44 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/2/2020 12:46 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>>> Maybe this would work for you, makes a presentable fudge.
>>>
>>> TRISHS VANILLA FUDGE
>>>
>>> Β½ cup butter ~ 1 cup white sugar ~ 1 cup brown sugar
>>> Cream together
>>> Add
>>> ΒΌ cup corn syrup ~ I can condensed milk
>>> Blend well.
>>> Microwave on high, stirring after each minute until rolling boil.
>>> (Use really large pan/bowl)
>>> Back in microwave for six minutes €“
>>> Beat €“ spread in 4 qt dish.
>>>
>>> (The recipe is great €“ I think it varies with ones microwave, for
>>> instance in mine, after it comes to the rolling boil, four minutes is
>>> just right, it should be whitish in colour. Do use the largest bowl
>>> you can, it boils up !
>>> While you have to stand there and keep stirring each minute, the whole
>>> thing is complete far faster than any other fudge I have ever made and
>>> this does seem to be no fail, whether a wet or dry day)
>>>

>> This sounds interesting but should it contain vanilla extract since it's
>> called 'Vanilla Fudge'? Just wondering if there's a missing ingredient
>> or if that's just the name of it.
>>
>> Jill

> Nothing stopping anyone adding anything they want! Do you always do
> exactly what a recipe says? With the exception of Yorkshire Puddings,
> I rarely to never measure anything. If I don't like something, I leave
> it out, if I like something, I may add more than the recipe says.

Wpw! I was simply asking if the recipe for Vanilla fudge called for the
addition of "vanilla" extract. Seems like a logical question given the
name. And I'd likely be willing to try it.

Pardon me for pushing some button but that's all I was talking about.
No targeting, merely a question. Is there vanilla extract in the recipe
or not? It's called Vanila Fudge for a reason. I might like to make it.
Need to know is there any vanilla in it?

Jill

Rec : Hot Fudge Terry Coombs General Cooking 12 27-10-2018 03:48 AM
fudge vicki nixon Baking 3 01-11-2005 08:21 PM
Fudge Anna Free Recipes (moderated) 0 24-09-2005 12:54 PM
Hot fudge GoombaP General Cooking 8 08-09-2004 12:33 AM