Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question - casserole seasoning?

From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:

"In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."

The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 5:57:23 PM UTC-4, Lenona wrote:
> From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>
> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."
>
> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.
>

> Lenona.

I would go with basil, oregano and garlic. Being tomato soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2020 5:57 PM, Lenona wrote:
> From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>
> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."
>
> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.
>

> Lenona.

Depending upon the region, the "seasoning" may well have been merely S&P.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-08 5:57 p.m., Lenona wrote:
> From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>
> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."
>
> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.

If it is North American cooking from the Depression I would expect that
it is salt and pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2020 6:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-08 5:57 p.m., Lenona wrote:
>> Â*From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the
>> 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>>
>> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry
>> pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel
>> corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes
>> were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the
>> casserole."
>>
>> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use.
>> Thanks.
>>

> If it is North American cooking from the Depression I would expect that
> it is salt and pepper.

Yep. My parents and grandparents rarely considered anything other than
S&P when it came to making a casserole involving potatoes and onions. I
doubt they'd have added pork sausage, corn or tomato soup, either.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 18:26:04 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-10-08 5:57 p.m., Lenona wrote:
>> From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>>
>> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."
>>
>> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.
>>

>If it is North American cooking from the Depression I would expect that
>it is salt and pepper.

Pepper's expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 14:57:19 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
wrote:

>From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>
>"In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."
>
>The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.
>

>Lenona.

basic minimum at the time would be salt and pepper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2020 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 14:57:19 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
> wrote:
>
>>From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>>
>> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."
>>
>> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.
>>

>> Lenona.

> basic minimum at the time would be salt and pepper

I don't know about the book Leona is referring to (or the author) but my
parents grew up during the Great Depression. S&P was about the only
"seasoning" used in cooking.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2020 6:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/8/2020 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 14:57:19 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the
>>> 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>>>
>>> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds.
>>> Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole
>>> kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned
>>> tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the
>>> size of the casserole."
>>>
>>> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use.
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> Lenona.

>> basic minimum at the time would be salt and pepper
>>

> I don't know about the book Leona is referring to (or the author) but my
> parents grew up during the Great Depression.Â* S&P was about the only
> "seasoning" used in cooking.
>
> Jill

I remember m mother having exotic seasonings like garlic powder and
paprika. Wild stuff back then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 1:26:21 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/8/2020 6:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 10/8/2020 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> >> basic minimum at the time would be salt and pepper
> >>

> > I don't know about the book Leona is referring to (or the author) but my
> > parents grew up during the Great Depression.Â* S&P was about the only
> > "seasoning" used in cooking.
> >
> > Jill

> I remember m mother having exotic seasonings like garlic powder and
> paprika. Wild stuff back then.

That's because you guys had dough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 16:41:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 1:26:21 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > I don't know about the book Leona is referring to (or the author) but my
>> > parents grew up during the Great Depression.Â* S&P was about the only
>> > "seasoning" used in cooking.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> I remember m mother having exotic seasonings like garlic powder and
>> paprika. Wild stuff back then.

>That's because you guys had dough.

White privileged Polish people!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote:

> From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>
> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."
>
> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.

My thought with that might only be S&P.
The sausage should give nice seasioning.
I'd definitely skip the tomato soup or sauce on top.
Maybe buttered bread crumbs instead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 10/8/2020 5:57 PM, Lenona wrote:
> > From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
> >
> > "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."
> >
> > The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.
> >

> > Lenona.
> >

> Depending upon the region, the "seasoning" may well have been merely S&P.

Did we just agree on something?
I just wrote that too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2020 7:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/8/2020 6:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/8/2020 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> basic minimum at the time would be salt and pepper
>>>

>> I don't know about the book Leona is referring to (or the author) but
>> my parents grew up during the Great Depression.Â* S&P was about the
>> only "seasoning" used in cooking.
>>
>> Jill

> I remember m mother having exotic seasonings like garlic powder and
> paprika.Â* Wild stuff back then.

I'm not sure my mother had even *heard* of paprika until after she
was married in the 1950's. Her parents were Scottish immigrants. I may
be wrong but I doubt paprika came into play in the food she grew up with
during the Depression. Probably not garlic (powdered or otherwise)
either. Your mother was a pioneer!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/9/2020 4:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 10/8/2020 5:57 PM, Lenona wrote:
>>> From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, compiled by Rita van Amber:
>>>
>>> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."
>>>
>>> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.
>>>

>>> Lenona.
>>>

>> Depending upon the region, the "seasoning" may well have been merely S&P.

> Did we just agree on something?

It happens occasionally.

> I just wrote that too.

Yes, and I noted you'd skip the tomato soup. I would too, also the
canned corn. Then again, I'm not really a fan of casseroles unless
we're talking simple scalloped potatoes (with onions) with a white
sauce, baked with breadcrumbs on top. S&P is the only seasoning needed.
I do know recipes written *way back when* often assumed everyone knew
what "seasoning" meant.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lenona" > wrote in message
From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s,
compiled by Rita van Amber:

"In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry pork
sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel corn and
seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes were probably
used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the casserole."

The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use. Thanks.
---

In those days it was likely just salt and pepper. Herbs and spices were
expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/8/2020 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 14:57:19 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>From page 37 of Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s,
>>>compiled by Rita van Amber:
>>>
>>> "In a buttered casserole arrange sliced potatoes and onion rounds. Fry
>>> pork sausage and pour off grease. Alternate with a can of whole kernel
>>> corn and seasoning. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. (Canned tomatoes
>>> were probably used also) Bake until done, depending on the size of the
>>> casserole."
>>>
>>> The question is, WHAT seasoning? I have no idea which herbs to use.
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> Lenona.

>> basic minimum at the time would be salt and pepper
>>

> I don't know about the book Leona is referring to (or the author) but my
> parents grew up during the Great Depression. S&P was about the only
> "seasoning" used in cooking.

My mom also kept dried minced onion, dry mustard, chili powder and parsley.
In later days she had Lawry's seasoning salt.

She was given a small filled, spice rack as a wedding gift. It sat on the
back of the stove collecting dust and grease. No one ever touched it.

When I got my first apartment, she said she would buy my spices as they were
expensive. Then when I began filling the cart, she was like... Whoa! Whoa!
Whoa! I never said I would buy all that!

I can't remember now what all I put in the cart but it was far less variety
than I have today. Most likely I had orange and lemon peel, nutmeg,
allspice. garlic of some sort, and oregano. in addition to the stuff she
used. I didn't discover things like bay leaf and marjoram until many years
later. All of my cookbooks were from the 40's or earlier so didn't use a lot
lot of spices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/8/2020 6:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/8/2020 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> basic minimum at the time would be salt and pepper
>>>

>> I don't know about the book Leona is referring to (or the author) but my
>> parents grew up during the Great Depression. S&P was about the only
>> "seasoning" used in cooking.
>>
>> Jill

> I remember m mother having exotic seasonings like garlic powder and
> paprika. Wild stuff back then.

Oh! I forgot the paprika. My mom did put that on deviled eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 8:03:34 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> >> I don't know about the book Leona is referring to (or the author) but my
> >> parents grew up during the Great Depression. S&P was about the only
> >> "seasoning" used in cooking.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > I remember m mother having exotic seasonings like garlic powder and
> > paprika. Wild stuff back then.

> Oh! I forgot the paprika. My mom did put that on deviled eggs.

We never used paprika. Such a thing would be way too upscale. In fact, deviled eggs would be too fancy for us. We had to make do with dyed shrimp particles of red and green.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 4:06:14 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 8:03:34 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> > > I remember m mother having exotic seasonings like garlic powder and
> > > paprika. Wild stuff back then.

> > Oh! I forgot the paprika. My mom did put that on deviled eggs.

> We never used paprika. Such a thing would be way too upscale. In fact, deviled eggs would be too fancy for us. We had to make do with dyed shrimp particles of red and green.

I don't want Satan getting anywhere near my eggs. Why do folks feel the need to
take a perfectly nice food and **** it up? Egg yolks are fine without mashing
them up with mustard and wino beatoff.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 7:05:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 4:06:14 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Oh! I forgot the paprika. My mom did put that on deviled eggs.

> > We never used paprika. Such a thing would be way too upscale. In fact, deviled eggs would be too fancy for us. We had to make do with dyed shrimp particles of red and green.

> I don't want Satan getting anywhere near my eggs. Why do folks feel the need to
> take a perfectly nice food and **** it up? Egg yolks are fine without mashing
> them up with mustard and wino beatoff.
>
> --Bryan

I hate egg yolks. When I eat hard-boiled eggs I eat the whites and throw away
the yolks. Needless to say, I very rarely eat hard-boiled eggs.

Mashing the yolks up with mayo and mustard makes them palatable.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 1:03:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > On 10/8/2020 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> >> basic minimum at the time would be salt and pepper
> >>

> > I don't know about the book Leona is referring to (or the author) but my
> > parents grew up during the Great Depression. S&P was about the only
> > "seasoning" used in cooking.

> My mom also kept dried minced onion, dry mustard, chili powder and parsley.
> In later days she had Lawry's seasoning salt.
>
> She was given a small filled, spice rack as a wedding gift. It sat on the
> back of the stove collecting dust and grease. No one ever touched it.
>
> When I got my first apartment, she said she would buy my spices as they were
> expensive. Then when I began filling the cart, she was like... Whoa! Whoa!
> Whoa! I never said I would buy all that!
>
> I can't remember now what all I put in the cart but it was far less variety
> than I have today. Most likely I had orange and lemon peel, nutmeg,
> allspice. garlic of some sort, and oregano. in addition to the stuff she
> used. I didn't discover things like bay leaf and marjoram until many years
> later. All of my cookbooks were from the 40's or earlier so didn't use a lot
> lot of spices.

Do you hate your mother? You make her look like a piece of trash on the
internet. Does your daughter hate you? You let her become repulsively
obese, then put her picture on the internet. She would have every right to
kill you.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 7:16:43 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 7:05:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:

> > > We never used paprika. Such a thing would be way too upscale. In fact, deviled eggs would be too fancy for us. We had to make do with dyed shrimp particles of red and green.

> > I don't want Satan getting anywhere near my eggs. Why do folks feel the need to
> > take a perfectly nice food and **** it up? Egg yolks are fine without mashing
> > them up with mustard and wino beatoff.
> >
> > --Bryan

> I hate egg yolks. When I eat hard-boiled eggs I eat the whites and throw away
> the yolks. Needless to say, I very rarely eat hard-boiled eggs.
>
> Mashing the yolks up with mayo and mustard makes them palatable.

Why do you *ever* eat them? I don't take foods that I hate and mix crap
with them so that I can choke them down.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-10 5:06 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 8:03:34 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

>> Oh! I forgot the paprika. My mom did put that on deviled eggs.

> We never used paprika. Such a thing would be way too upscale. In
> fact, deviled eggs would be too fancy for us. We had to make do with
> dyed shrimp particles of red and green.

Back in the 50s paprika was quite common, but basically only as a garnish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 8:41:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 7:16:43 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > I hate egg yolks. When I eat hard-boiled eggs I eat the whites and throw away
> > the yolks. Needless to say, I very rarely eat hard-boiled eggs.
> >
> > Mashing the yolks up with mayo and mustard makes them palatable.

> Why do you *ever* eat them? I don't take foods that I hate and mix crap
> with them so that I can choke them down.

Palatable: (of food or drink) pleasant to taste

Mixing the yolks with mayo makes them taste good.

I don't eat eggs fried, over easy, basted, or poached, either. Always scrambled.
When I eat bibimbap, I mix the egg yolk in with everything else.

I get that you hate jarred mayonnaise. Your preferences are not any more
rational than mine.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 1:05:41 AM UTC-10, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 4:06:14 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Oh! I forgot the paprika. My mom did put that on deviled eggs.

> > We never used paprika. Such a thing would be way too upscale. In fact, deviled eggs would be too fancy for us. We had to make do with dyed shrimp particles of red and green.

> I don't want Satan getting anywhere near my eggs. Why do folks feel the need to
> take a perfectly nice food and **** it up? Egg yolks are fine without mashing
> them up with mustard and wino beatoff.
>
> --Bryan

Not to be racist or anything, but that's such a white people thing to do. OTOH, I'd like to try eating one at least, before I kick the bucket. I suppose I could boil an egg, slice it in half, put a dollop of Japan mayo on it, and call it "done."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 3:35:27 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-10 5:06 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 8:03:34 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Oh! I forgot the paprika. My mom did put that on deviled eggs.

> > We never used paprika. Such a thing would be way too upscale. In
> > fact, deviled eggs would be too fancy for us. We had to make do with
> > dyed shrimp particles of red and green.
> >

> Back in the 50s paprika was quite common, but basically only as a garnish.

I have a big container of paprika. It's used in stews and to braise meats and to give fried chicken an orange cast. Using it to garnish food seems kind of weird. That's what God made green onions for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 3:19:42 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 1:05:41 AM UTC-10, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> > > We never used paprika. Such a thing would be way too upscale. In fact, deviled eggs would be too fancy for us. We had to make do with dyed shrimp particles of red and green.

> > I don't want Satan getting anywhere near my eggs. Why do folks feel the need to
> > take a perfectly nice food and **** it up? Egg yolks are fine without mashing
> > them up with mustard and wino beatoff.
> >
> > --Bryan

> Not to be racist or anything, but that's such a white people thing to do. OTOH, I'd like to try eating one at least, before I kick the bucket. I suppose I could boil an egg, slice it in half, put a dollop of Japan mayo on it, and call it "done."

If you did that, it wouldn't be the full effect. "Deviled" means with mustard in it. I
also use a sprinkle of cayenne on top rather than paprika. Once in a while I add
curry powder, and always salt and pepper.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 10:00:54 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 3:19:42 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > I don't want Satan getting anywhere near my eggs. Why do folks feel the need to
> > > take a perfectly nice food and **** it up? Egg yolks are fine without mashing
> > > them up with mustard and wino beatoff.
> > >
> > > --Bryan

> > Not to be racist or anything, but that's such a white people thing to do. OTOH, I'd like to try eating one at least, before I kick the bucket. I suppose I could boil an egg, slice it in half, put a dollop of Japan mayo on it, and call it "done."

> If you did that, it wouldn't be the full effect. "Deviled" means with mustard in it. I
> also use a sprinkle of cayenne on top rather than paprika. Once in a while I add
> curry powder, and always salt and pepper.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

These eggs would only be slightly evil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 4:23:55 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 10:00:54 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Not to be racist or anything, but that's such a white people thing to do. OTOH, I'd like to try eating one at least, before I kick the bucket. I suppose I could boil an egg, slice it in half, put a dollop of Japan mayo on it, and call it "done."

> > If you did that, it wouldn't be the full effect. "Deviled" means with mustard in it. I
> > also use a sprinkle of cayenne on top rather than paprika. Once in a while I add
> > curry powder, and always salt and pepper.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> These eggs would only be slightly evil.

And you would proclaim them "bland, white-people food", when in reality you made
them that way.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 12:53:00 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 4:23:55 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > If you did that, it wouldn't be the full effect. "Deviled" means with mustard in it. I
> > > also use a sprinkle of cayenne on top rather than paprika. Once in a while I add
> > > curry powder, and always salt and pepper.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > These eggs would only be slightly evil.

> And you would proclaim them "bland, white-people food", when in reality you made
> them that way.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Deviled eggs are supposed to be bland, white-people food. So what? I don't have any problems with that. I'm going to my Swedish step-mom's house today for dinner. I'm pretty sure we're going to be eating white-people food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2020 11:25 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 12:53:00 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> These eggs would only be slightly evil.

>> And you would proclaim them "bland, white-people food", when in reality you made
>> them that way.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Deviled eggs are supposed to be bland, white-people food. So what? I don't have any problems with that. I'm going to my Swedish step-mom's house today for dinner. I'm pretty sure we're going to be eating white-people food.

Didn't the South Pacific Islanders eat "white people food" long ago?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 2:25:15 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 12:53:00 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > These eggs would only be slightly evil.

> > And you would proclaim them "bland, white-people food", when in reality you made
> > them that way.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Deviled eggs are supposed to be bland, white-people food.

No, they're supposed to be "devilish". That's why I sprinkle cayenne pepper on top of mine.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 8:48:29 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 10/11/2020 11:25 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> And you would proclaim them "bland, white-people food", when in reality you made
> >> them that way.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > Deviled eggs are supposed to be bland, white-people food. So what? I don't have any problems with that. I'm going to my Swedish step-mom's house today for dinner. I'm pretty sure we're going to be eating white-people food.
> >

> Didn't the South Pacific Islanders eat "white people food" long ago?

You mean like green bean casserole and grilled cheese sandwiches? I'm skeptical.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 9:18:05 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 2:25:15 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > And you would proclaim them "bland, white-people food", when in reality you made
> > > them that way.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Deviled eggs are supposed to be bland, white-people food.

> No, they're supposed to be "devilish". That's why I sprinkle cayenne pepper on top of mine.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

If I made them, I wouldn't sprinkle cayenne pepper on them - just paprika, as God intended.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2020 12:22 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 8:48:29 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Deviled eggs are supposed to be bland, white-people food. So what? I don't have any problems with that. I'm going to my Swedish step-mom's house today for dinner. I'm pretty sure we're going to be eating white-people food.
>>>

>> Didn't the South Pacific Islanders eat "white people food" long ago?

> You mean like green bean casserole and grilled cheese sandwiches? I'm skeptical.

Whoosh!

https://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/Ca...%20Talk_182781

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 9:57:08 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 10/11/2020 12:22 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Didn't the South Pacific Islanders eat "white people food" long ago?

> > You mean like green bean casserole and grilled cheese sandwiches? I'm skeptical.
> >

> Whoosh!
>
> https://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/Ca...%20Talk_182781

Whoosh yourself! Of course I understood your snarky, innuendo. Beats the heck out of me whether the South Pacific folks did that. I know the Americans certainly did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5xMpsYdzgg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 9:57:08 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> > > You mean like green bean casserole and grilled cheese sandwiches? I'm skeptical.
> > >

> > Whoosh!
> >
> > https://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/Ca...%20Talk_182781

> Whoosh yourself! Of course I understood your snarky, innuendo. Beats the heck out of me whether the South Pacific folks did that. I know the Americans certainly did.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5xMpsYdzgg

You should quit while you are behind, lol...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 9:18:05 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 2:25:15 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Deviled eggs are supposed to be bland, white-people food.

> > No, they're supposed to be "devilish". That's why I sprinkle
> > cayenne pepper on top of mine.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> If I made them, I wouldn't sprinkle cayenne pepper on them - just
> paprika, as God intended.

LOL!

I don't make them often but when I do, I make them for parties with 12
eggs, 24 halves of course. all the yellows go in a bowl and mashed
with some mayo to make them hold together then some get dressed with a
little minced red onion, some with some hot mustard, some with a little
horseradish, and some with minced sweet watermelon rind. Hot Paprika
graces them to various levels. I had an almost 'lasy susan' tray with
a little 1 TB pocket towards the center with what they were mixed with
and in the very center, matchsticked veggies so you could check the
sauce.

I miss that tray sometimes. It was a cast off plastic thing from some
long ago party where someone got a catered tray of veggies and dips.
Probably had cups in the 'dip' area originally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 3:35:19 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 9:18:05 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Deviled eggs are supposed to be bland, white-people food.

> > No, they're supposed to be "devilish". That's why I sprinkle cayenne pepper on top of mine.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> If I made them, I wouldn't sprinkle cayenne pepper on them - just paprika, as God intended.

Satan told me to use cayenne. After all, they're devilled eggs.

Cindy Hamilton