Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default air fryer

I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't see
any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
unused.

Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
should I be looking for?

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-06-22, KenK > wrote:

> After going through the books several times I didn't see
> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
> unused.

Air fryer's were jes a gimmick to get you to buy more "stuff".

I'd wait until sous vide units get close to $50.00usd, used. You
still hafta buy a Food Saver vac sealer, but I jes tossed one (had
two), so I know those are coming down.

That's my OPINION and I'm sticking to it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 6:35:11 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't see
> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
> unused.
>
> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
> should I be looking for?
>
> TIA
>

> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3 minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff that it doesn't cook very well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2020 1:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 6:35:11 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
>> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't see
>> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
>> unused.
>>
>> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
>> should I be looking for?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

> It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3 minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff that it doesn't cook very well.

Does the name air FRYER give you a clue ? We use ours quite often ,
probably 5-7 times a week . From making french fries - fresh cut - to
warming breaded chicken tenders , tater tots , egg rolls , and corn dogs
, we find it very versatile for anything "fried" .
--
Snag
Witty saying
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 8:54:28 AM UTC-10, Snag wrote:
> On 6/22/2020 1:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 6:35:11 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> >> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
> >> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't see
> >> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
> >> unused.
> >>
> >> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
> >> should I be looking for?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> >> --
> >> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

> > It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3 minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff that it doesn't cook very well.
> >

> Does the name air FRYER give you a clue ? We use ours quite often ,
> probably 5-7 times a week . From making french fries - fresh cut - to
> warming breaded chicken tenders , tater tots , egg rolls , and corn dogs
> , we find it very versatile for anything "fried" .
> --
> Snag
> Witty saying
> goes here

No need to get all bitchy about it. I said it does fish sticks okay. It does McDonald's Apple pies okay. My guess it that Tater-Tots would work swell. It doesn't do breaded oysters very well as seen in the following link. They look like pitiful sickly things. They had to be covered up in shame.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...qBEPfklxR7QuQH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 12:29:22 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 8:54:28 AM UTC-10, Snag wrote:

>> > It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3 minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff that it doesn't cook very well.
>> >

>> Does the name air FRYER give you a clue ? We use ours quite often ,
>> probably 5-7 times a week . From making french fries - fresh cut - to
>> warming breaded chicken tenders , tater tots , egg rolls , and corn dogs
>> , we find it very versatile for anything "fried" .
>> --
>> Snag
>> Witty saying
>> goes here

>No need to get all bitchy about it. I said it does fish sticks okay. It does McDonald's Apple pies okay. My guess it that Tater-Tots would work swell. It doesn't do breaded oysters very well as seen in the following link. They look like pitiful sickly things. They had to be covered up in shame.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...qBEPfklxR7QuQH

That'll teach you not to coat something nice in something pedestrian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 9:32:22 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 12:29:22 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> Does the name air FRYER give you a clue ? We use ours quite often ,
> >> probably 5-7 times a week . From making french fries - fresh cut - to
> >> warming breaded chicken tenders , tater tots , egg rolls , and corn dogs
> >> , we find it very versatile for anything "fried" .
> >> --
> >> Snag
> >> Witty saying
> >> goes here

> >No need to get all bitchy about it. I said it does fish sticks okay. It does McDonald's Apple pies okay. My guess it that Tater-Tots would work swell. It doesn't do breaded oysters very well as seen in the following link. They look like pitiful sickly things. They had to be covered up in shame.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...qBEPfklxR7QuQH

> That'll teach you not to coat something nice in something pedestrian.

Yoose savages probably eat oysters raw! How primitive!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/kaki-f...ysters-2031439
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> It does McDonald's Apple pies okay.

Have you ever tried Burger King apple pies?
I like them better. Good eaten cold too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 2:24:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > It does McDonald's Apple pies okay.

> Have you ever tried Burger King apple pies?
> I like them better. Good eaten cold too.

I shall try the Burger King apple pie the next chance I get. The McDonald's pies sold here are deep fried. My understanding is that they're baked on the mainland. Beats me why that is. Baking seems like it would take an awful long time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, June 22, 2020 1:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 6:35:11 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
>> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't see
>> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
>> unused.
>>
>> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
>> should I be looking for?
>>
>> TIA
>> --
>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

> It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3 minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff that it doesn't cook very well.

I wonder how it would do with steamed shrimp. That with plenty of hot sauce or Old Bay seasoning isn't bad. Especially, with fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, dsi123
@hawaiiantel.net writes:

>On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 6:35:11 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
>> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't see
>> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
>> unused.
>>
>> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
>> should I be looking for?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3 minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff that it doesn't cook very well.

Ours produce excellent results with marinated chicken thighs and various
thinly-sliced vegetables including eggplant and potato.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and
Pedagogue
Charlotte, North carolina
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 11:17:43 AM UTC-10, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> In article >, dsi123
> @hawaiiantel.net writes:
> >
> >On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 6:35:11 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> >> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
> >> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't see
> >> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
> >> unused.
> >>
> >> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
> >> should I be looking for?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> >> --
> >> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

> >It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3 minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff that it doesn't cook very well.

> Ours produce excellent results with marinated chicken thighs and various
> thinly-sliced vegetables including eggplant and potato.
>
> Orlando Enrique Fiol
> Ph.D. in Music Theory
> University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
> Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and
> Pedagogue
> Charlotte, North carolina

I've been messing around with my air fryer. I cooked some meat balls in the fryer last night. It did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I could only fit 4 at a time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 11:17:43 AM UTC-10, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
>> In article >, dsi123
>> @hawaiiantel.net writes:

>>> It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3 minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff that it doesn't cook very well.

>> Ours produce excellent results with marinated chicken thighs and various
>> thinly-sliced vegetables including eggplant and potato.
>>
>> Orlando Enrique Fiol
>> Ph.D. in Music Theory
>> University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
>> Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and
>> Pedagogue
>> Charlotte, North carolina

> I've been messing around with my air fryer. I cooked some meat balls in the fryer last night. It did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I could only fit 4 at a time.

Are those Popeye sized meatballs, or just a tiny appliance?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 6:42:43 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> I've been messing around with my air fryer. I cooked some meat balls in the fryer last night. It did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I could only fit 4 at a time.

What size is your air fryer?

Chicken wings are really good in an air fryer as are other foods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 17:06:56 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 6:42:43 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I've been messing around with my air fryer. I cooked some meat balls in the fryer last night. It did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I could only fit 4 at a time.
>>

>What size is your air fryer?

It fits 4 meatballs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 17:06:56 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 6:42:43 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I've been messing around with my air fryer. I cooked some meat balls in the fryer last night. It did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I could only fit 4 at a time.
>>

>What size is your air fryer?
>
>Chicken wings are really good in an air fryer as are other foods.

Forget wings, a ukelele air frier can only cook two shrimpy balls
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-06-28 7:42 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> I've been messing around with my air fryer. I cooked some meat balls
> in the fryer last night. It did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I
> could only fit 4 at a time.

I made wings on mine once and I would not call it a success. It's a good
sized air fryer but it wasn't really big enough for a decent serving of
wings. They were too close together and touching, so they came out soft
and greasy. I imagine that I could have cooked half as many at a time,
but it took 18 minutes for that batch and taking close to 40 minutes to
cook a serving of wings is not acceptable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-06-28 7:42 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I've been messing around with my air fryer. I cooked some meat balls
>> in the fryer last night. It did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I
>> could only fit 4 at a time.
>>

> I made wings on mine once and I would not call it a success. It's a
> good sized air fryer but it wasn't really big enough for a decent
> serving of wings. They were too close together and touching, so
> they came out soft and* greasy.* I imagine that I could have cooked
> half as many at a time, but it took 18 minutes for that batch and
> taking close to 40 minutes to cook a serving of wings is not
> acceptable.

Wouldn't a convection oven work better anyway?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 8:37:27 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I made wings on mine once and I would not call it a success. It's a good
> sized air fryer but it wasn't really big enough for a decent serving of
> wings. They were too close together and touching, so they came out soft
> and greasy. I imagine that I could have cooked half as many at a time,
> but it took 18 minutes for that batch and taking close to 40 minutes to
> cook a serving of wings is not acceptable.

I can get about 6-8 wings in mine which I know for some people is just an
appetizer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 11:17:43 AM UTC-10, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> In article >,
> dsi123
> @hawaiiantel.net writes:
> >
> >On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 6:35:11 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> >> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books
> >> of
> >> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't
> >> see
> >> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer
> >> sits
> >> unused.
> >>
> >> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of
> >> recipes
> >> should I be looking for?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> >> --
> >> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

> >It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I
> >suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a
> >McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3
> >minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff
> >that it doesn't cook very well.

> Ours produce excellent results with marinated chicken thighs and various
> thinly-sliced vegetables including eggplant and potato.
>
> Orlando Enrique Fiol
> Ph.D. in Music Theory
> University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
> Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and
> Pedagogue
> Charlotte, North carolina

I've been messing around with my air fryer. I cooked some meat balls in the
fryer last night. It did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I could only fit
4 at a time.

====

Treat yourself to the oven! I keep the drawer one for things like chips
err fries. I have 3 drawers in the oven and the drawer one, so between
them and the MW I can forget my big oven if I want to)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 10:29:22 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 11:17:43 AM UTC-10, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> > In article >,
> > dsi123
> > @hawaiiantel.net writes:

> > >It does an okay job on fish sticks. It's faster than a toaster oven. I
> > >suppose that it does best with frozen, breaded, items. I reheated a
> > >McDonald's apple pie that turned out pretty good. It only took about 3
> > >minutes at the highest temperature. Mostly, it's easier to list stuff
> > >that it doesn't cook very well.

> > Ours produce excellent results with marinated chicken thighs and various
> > thinly-sliced vegetables including eggplant and potato.
> >
> > Orlando Enrique Fiol
> > Ph.D. in Music Theory
> > University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
> > Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and
> > Pedagogue
> > Charlotte, North carolina

> I've been messing around with my air fryer. I cooked some meat balls in the
> fryer last night. It did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I could only fit
> 4 at a time.
>
> ====
>
> Treat yourself to the oven! I keep the drawer one for things like chips
> err fries. I have 3 drawers in the oven and the drawer one, so between
> them and the MW I can forget my big oven if I want to)

I got way too much stuff in the kitchen. What I need to do is get rid of stuff. I need a black hole that I can chuck a large part of my kitchen into.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't
> see
> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
> unused.
>
> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
> should I be looking for?
>
> TIA

I don't really use recipes. I heat things like Tater Tots in mine. I have
also done roasted vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2020 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:
> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't see
> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
> unused.

It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused. I don't fry
enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking method
(air fryer). I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or a skillet
on the stovetop. Using very little or even sometimes even no oil.

> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
> should I be looking for?
>
> TIA

You got booklets of air fryer recipes. Can't figure out what to use it
for? That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget. JMHO, of course.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2020 2:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/22/2020 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:
>> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
>> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I
>> didn't see
>> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
>> unused.
>>

> It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused.Â* I don't fry
> enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking method
> (air fryer).Â* I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or a skillet
> on the stovetop.Â* Using very little or even sometimes even no oil.
>
>> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
>> should I be looking for?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> You got booklets of air fryer recipes.Â* Can't figure out what to use it
> for?Â* That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget.Â* JMHO, of course.
>
> Jill

You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
<grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .
--
Snag
Witty saying
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 9:59:22 AM UTC-10, Snag wrote:
> On 6/22/2020 2:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 6/22/2020 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:
> >> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
> >> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I
> >> didn't see
> >> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
> >> unused.
> >>

> > It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused.Â* I don't fry
> > enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking method
> > (air fryer).Â* I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or a skillet
> > on the stovetop.Â* Using very little or even sometimes even no oil.
> >
> >> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
> >> should I be looking for?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> > You got booklets of air fryer recipes.Â* Can't figure out what to use it
> > for?Â* That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget.Â* JMHO, of course.
> >
> > Jill

> You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
> <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
> spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
> gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
> season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
> 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .
> --
> Snag
> Witty saying
> goes here

Yes, I used to think that being correct was important in having an opinion but this group has made me see the light - the truth is not really necessary in having an opinion. OTOH, I'll try your recipe/method. I don't have any season-all but I'll come up with something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 13:08:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 9:59:22 AM UTC-10, Snag wrote:
>> >>
>> > It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused.Â* I don't fry
>> > enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking method
>> > (air fryer).Â* I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or a skillet
>> > on the stovetop.Â* Using very little or even sometimes even no oil.

>> > You got booklets of air fryer recipes.Â* Can't figure out what to use it
>> > for?Â* That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget.Â* JMHO, of course.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
>> <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
>> spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
>> gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
>> season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
>> 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .
>> --
>> Snag
>> Witty saying
>> goes here

>Yes, I used to think that being correct was important in having an opinion but this group has made me see the light - the truth is not really necessary in having an opinion. OTOH, I'll try your recipe/method. I don't have any season-all but I'll come up with something.

Don't forget: after every step, you have to <spit>.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 13:08:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
>>> <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
>>> spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
>>> gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
>>> season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
>>> 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .
>>> --
>>> Snag
>>> Witty saying
>>> goes here

>> Yes, I used to think that being correct was important in having an opinion but this group has made me see the light - the truth is not really necessary in having an opinion. OTOH, I'll try your recipe/method. I don't have any season-all but I'll come up with something.

> Don't forget: after every step, you have to <spit>.

AND ... <SNIFF>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2020 3:08 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 9:59:22 AM UTC-10, Snag wrote:
>>>>
>>> It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused.Â* I don't fry
>>> enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking method
>>> (air fryer).Â* I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or a skillet
>>> on the stovetop.Â* Using very little or even sometimes even no oil.

>>> You got booklets of air fryer recipes.Â* Can't figure out what to use it
>>> for?Â* That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget.Â* JMHO, of course.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
>> <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
>> spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
>> gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
>> season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
>> 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .
>> --
>> Snag
>> Witty saying
>> goes here

> Yes, I used to think that being correct was important in having an opinion but this group has made me see the light - the truth is not really necessary in having an opinion. OTOH, I'll try your recipe/method. I don't have any season-all but I'll come up with something.

Plain old salt and pepper makes for a tasty fry too . You can control
the crispness and texture by how thick you cut them and how long you
cook them - just like deep frying .
--
Snag
Witty saying
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-06-22 6:10 p.m., Snag wrote:
> On 6/22/2020 3:08 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 9:59:22 AM UTC-10, Snag wrote:

>> Yes, I used to think that being correct was important in having an
>> opinion but this group has made me see the light - the truth is not
>> really necessary in having an opinion. OTOH, I'll try your
>> recipe/method. I don't have any season-all but I'll come up with
>> something.
>>

> Â* Plain old salt and pepper makes for a tasty fry too . You can control
> the crispness and texture by how thick you cut them and how long you
> cook them - just like deep frying .

I got an air fryer about a year and a half ago. It sits out on the
counter because we use it a lot, mostly for home cut air fried fries or
roasted potatoes, or for cooking up frozen sweet potato fries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Snag" wrote in message ...

On 6/22/2020 3:08 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 9:59:22 AM UTC-10, Snag wrote:
>>>>
>>> It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused. I don't fry
>>> enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking method
>>> (air fryer). I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or a skillet
>>> on the stovetop. Using very little or even sometimes even no oil.

>>> You got booklets of air fryer recipes. Can't figure out what to use it
>>> for? That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget. JMHO, of course.>>>
>>> Jill

>> You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
>> <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
>> spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
>> gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
>> season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
>> 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .
>> --
>> Snag
>> Witty saying
>> goes here

> Yes, I used to think that being correct was important in having an opinion
> but this group has made me see the light - the truth is not really
> necessary in having an opinion. OTOH, I'll try your recipe/method. I don't
> have any season-all but I'll come up with something.

Plain old salt and pepper makes for a tasty fry too . You can control
the crispness and texture by how thick you cut them and how long you
cook them - just like deep frying .

Snag

====

I love mine. I have an airfryer and an airfryer oven. I use them all the
time and I love them)

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2020 3:59 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 6/22/2020 2:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 6/22/2020 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:
>>> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
>>> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I
>>> didn't see
>>> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer
>>> sits
>>> unused.
>>>

>> It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused.Â* I don't fry
>> enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking
>> method (air fryer).Â* I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or
>> a skillet on the stovetop.Â* Using very little or even sometimes even
>> no oil.
>>
>>> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of
>>> recipes
>>> should I be looking for?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> You got booklets of air fryer recipes.Â* Can't figure out what to use
>> it for?Â* That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget.Â* JMHO, of course.
>>
>> Jill

> Â* You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
> <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
> spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
> gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
> season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
> 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .

That's what Ken wants to hear! Maybe he'll read your reply. Um, but
you did toss the taters in oil. I think he's expecting no oil to be
used at all because it's called an 'air fryer'.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2020 3:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/22/2020 3:59 PM, Snag wrote:
>>>>
>>> It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused.Â* I don't fry
>>> enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking
>>> method (air fryer).Â* I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or
>>> a skillet on the stovetop.Â* Using very little or even sometimes even
>>> no oil.

>>> You got booklets of air fryer recipes.Â* Can't figure out what to use
>>> it for?Â* That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget.Â* JMHO, of course.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Â*Â* You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are
>> ... <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium
>> size spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices .
>> Toss in a gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and
>> some season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so .
>> Shake 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .

> That's what Ken wants to hear!Â* Maybe he'll read your reply.Â* Um, but
> you did toss the taters in oil.Â* I think he's expecting no oil to be
> used at all because it's called an 'air fryer'.
>
> Jill

I've tried without oil , they just don't come out the way we like
them . They don't brown well either .
--
Snag
Witty saying
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 9:59:22 AM UTC-10, Snag wrote:
> On 6/22/2020 2:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 6/22/2020 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:
> >> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
> >> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I
> >> didn't see
> >> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
> >> unused.
> >>

> > It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused.Â* I don't fry
> > enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking method
> > (air fryer).Â* I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or a skillet
> > on the stovetop.Â* Using very little or even sometimes even no oil.
> >
> >> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
> >> should I be looking for?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> > You got booklets of air fryer recipes.Â* Can't figure out what to use it
> > for?Â* That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget.Â* JMHO, of course.
> >
> > Jill

> You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
> <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
> spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
> gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
> season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
> 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .
> --
> Snag
> Witty saying
> goes here

I tried making some potatoes as per your instructions. I used seaweed and sesame for seasoning. They came out swell. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd6bvZREh8Y
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 5:53:08 PM UTC-10, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 9:59:22 AM UTC-10, Snag wrote:
> > >>
> > > It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused.Â* I don't fry
> > > enough things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking method
> > > (air fryer).Â* I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or a skillet
> > > on the stovetop.Â* Using very little or even sometimes even no oil.

> > > You got booklets of air fryer recipes.Â* Can't figure out what to use it
> > > for?Â* That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget.Â* JMHO, of course.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
> > <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
> > spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
> > gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
> > season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
> > 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .
> > --
> > Snag
> > Witty saying
> > goes here

> I tried making some potatoes as per your instructions. I used seaweed and sesame for seasoning. They came out swell. Thanks!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd6bvZREh8Y

Well, okay. That was a wrong link. Hopefully, this is the correct one.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...WzF5hV9EDJ-djn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2020 2:41 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 5:53:08 PM UTC-10, dsi1 wrote:

>>> You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
>>> <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
>>> spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
>>> gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some
>>> season-all then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake
>>> 'em up about halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .
>>> --
>>> Snag
>>> Witty saying
>>> goes here

>> I tried making some potatoes as per your instructions. I used seaweed and sesame for seasoning. They came out swell. Thanks!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd6bvZREh8Y

> Well, okay. That was a wrong link. Hopefully, this is the correct one.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...WzF5hV9EDJ-djn

You're welcome ! Those are some good looking taters - and of course I
had to click on the other link too ... Ain't that Opie sumpin' !
--
Snag
Witty saying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Jun 23, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> Well, okay. That was a wrong link. Hopefully, this is the correct one.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...PoXvWzF5hV9EDJ
> -djn

That looks like a large fried moth on the top left and one fried snake
eating another on the right. Do you do this on purpose? Meh...Id eat it.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Snag" > wrote in message
> On 6/22/2020 2:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 6/22/2020 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:
>>> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
>>> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't
>>> see
>>> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer
>>> sits
>>> unused.
>>>

>> It would do the same thing in my house - sit, unused. I don't fry enough
>> things to worry about oil or needing an alternate cooking method (air
>> fryer). I can easily cook whatever I want in the oven or a skillet on the
>> stovetop. Using very little or even sometimes even no oil.
>>
>>> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of
>>> recipes
>>> should I be looking for?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> You got booklets of air fryer recipes. Can't figure out what to use it
>> for? That's because it's a useless kitchen gadget. JMHO, of course.
>>
>> Jill

> You're entitled to your opinion no matter how dead wrong you are ...
> <grin> we do like ours and use it often . I've been cutting medium size
> spuds in half lengthwise then slicing into 1/4" thick slices . Toss in a
> gallon zip-lock with a couple or 3 tablespoons of oil and some season-all
> then into the AF on high temp for 25 minutes or so . Shake 'em up about
> halfway thru cooking so they brown more evenly .

I used mine a lot when I first got it. Not so much now only because I'm not
buying a lot of fresh food. But I did do a combination of potatoes and
onions with olive oil, French fry seasoning and Parmesan. Sooo good and much
quicker than the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 11:35:11 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

> I bought an air fryer a yesr or two ago along with two or three books of
> air fryer recipes. After going through the books several times I didn't see
> any recipes that couldn't be cooked easily by other means. The fryer sits
> unused.
>
> Those of you who use air fryers, what am I missing? What types of recipes
> should I be looking for?
>
> TIA

Well, they're pretty fast, no flipping food, and you can 'fry' food with
a minimal amount of oil. The oil can be sprayed onto the food before it
goes into the fryer resulting in a crispy exterior. Fried chicken is
very good in the air fryer for one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-06-22 6:15 p.m., Snag wrote:

>> Well, they're pretty fast, no flipping food, and you can 'fry' food with
>> a minimal amount of oil. The oil can be sprayed onto the food before it
>> goes into the fryer resulting in a crispy exterior.Â* Fried chicken is
>> very good in the air fryer for one.
>>

> Â* What are you using to spray the oil ? I tried an adjustable trigger
> sprayer , didn't work well . I'd love to start making my own "breast
> tenders" but haven't been able to get it nicely browned and just a
> little crispy .

We put the cut potatoes in a stainless bowl, drizzle a little oil on
them and toss them around until they are evenly coated. It really
doesn't take much oil to do the job.

Air Fryer Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 30 28-01-2019 05:03 PM
Air fryer? Nancy Young[_8_] General Cooking 24 25-03-2018 08:38 AM
air fryer [email protected] General Cooking 1 17-09-2016 04:49 PM
New fryer! cshenk General Cooking 11 15-09-2010 06:07 PM
Waring Pro fryer at Sam's [email protected] Cooking Equipment 2 11-01-2006 01:46 AM