Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I made a type of corn bread dressing with cauliflower.

It is pretty damn good!
--

"There are idiots among us, and they all believe in a god"
~Toidi Uoy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 11:55:58 AM UTC-6, wrote:

> It is pretty damn good!
>

> "There are idiots among us, and I'm one"
> ~Toidi Uoy

No you didn't. You made a cauliflower dish and no, it can't pretend to be
dressing or lobster or barbecue. It's cauliflower.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 2:28:33 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 11:55:58 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> >
> > It is pretty damn good!
> >

> > "There are idiots among us, and I'm one"
> > ~Toidi Uoy
> >

> No you didn't. You made a cauliflower dish and no, it can't pretend to be
> dressing or lobster or barbecue. It's cauliflower.

I had some cauliflower mash last night. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great either. It was just there. I suppose I'd like mashed potatoes more but I'm trying to cut down on carbs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> It is pretty damn good!

>What in the world is cornbread dressing?

Is your Google broken?

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> It is pretty damn good!

What in the world is cornbread dressing?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 2:28:33 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
>> On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 11:55:58 AM UTC-6,
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > It is pretty damn good!
>> >

>> > "There are idiots among us, and I'm one"
>> > ~Toidi Uoy
>> >

>> No you didn't. You made a cauliflower dish and no, it can't pretend to
>> be
>> dressing or lobster or barbecue. It's cauliflower.

> I had some cauliflower mash last night. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great
> either. It was just there. I suppose I'd like mashed potatoes more but I'm
> trying to cut down on carbs.

That's how I feel about cooked cauliflower. A little bit in a soup is fine.
But too much and I don't want to eat it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 22:50:43 -0600, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> It is pretty damn good!

>>What in the world is cornbread dressing?

>Is your Google broken?

Let's close this newsgroup. Google knows everything!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 11:50:42 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> It is pretty damn good!

> >What in the world is cornbread dressing?

> Is your Google broken?
>
> Doris

No, but as usual her tiny brain is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:23:42 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 2:28:33 PM UTC-10,
> > wrote:

> >> No you didn't. You made a cauliflower dish and no, it can't pretend to
> >> be
> >> dressing or lobster or barbecue. It's cauliflower.

> > I had some cauliflower mash last night. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great
> > either. It was just there. I suppose I'd like mashed potatoes more but I'm
> > trying to cut down on carbs.

> That's how I feel about cooked cauliflower. A little bit in a soup is fine.
> But too much and I don't want to eat it!

Have you tried it breaded and fried? It's a good appetizer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2019 11:50 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message
>>> It is pretty damn good!

>> What in the world is cornbread dressing?

> Is your Google broken?
>
> Doris

It's not as though cornbread dressing hasn't been mentioned around the
holidays every single year...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/19 10:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> It is pretty damn good!

> What in the world is cornbread dressing?

Un-stuffed stuffing made with cornbread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 8:35 AM, jay wrote:
> On 11/16/19 10:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> It is pretty damn good!

>> What in the world is cornbread dressing?

> Un-stuffed stuffing made with cornbread.

I'm 99% sure she knows this. It's discussed here every year around the
holidays.

Making cornbread dressing with cauliflower doesn't make any sense,
that's for sure.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 12:23 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 2:28:33 PM UTC-10,
>> wrote:

>>> No you didn't.Â* You made a cauliflower dish and no, it can't pretend
>>> to be
>>> dressing or lobster or barbecue.Â* It's cauliflower.

>> I had some cauliflower mash last night. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great
>> either. It was just there. I suppose I'd like mashed potatoes more but
>> I'm trying to cut down on carbs.

> That's how I feel about cooked cauliflower. A little bit in a soup is
> fine. But too much and I don't want to eat it!

Roasted cauliflower (a whole head) is wonderful. Too bad you have so
many food dislikes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 11:41:29 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/17/2019 12:23 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I had some cauliflower mash last night. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great
> >> either. It was just there. I suppose I'd like mashed potatoes more but
> >> I'm trying to cut down on carbs.

> > That's how I feel about cooked cauliflower. A little bit in a soup is
> > fine. But too much and I don't want to eat it!

> Roasted cauliflower (a whole head) is wonderful. Too bad you have so
> many food dislikes.
>
> Jill

I've never had a whole head roasted. I've had it simmered and topped with bread crumbs and sour cream. Roasting sounds good. I have also heard of roasted broccoli.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-17 11:46 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:

>>> That's how I feel about cooked cauliflower. A little bit in a
>>> soup is fine. But too much and I don't want to eat it!

>> Roasted cauliflower (a whole head) is wonderful. Too bad you have
>> so many food dislikes.
>>
>> Jill

> I've never had a whole head roasted. I've had it simmered and topped
> with bread crumbs and sour cream. Roasting sounds good. I have also
> heard of roasted broccoli.

It is also good grilled on a BBQ. Slice it about 1/2 to 2/3" thick and
dunk it in some yogurt with curry powder and then slap it on the grill
for a couple minutes on each side. It is delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 1:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-11-17 11:46 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:

>>> Roasted cauliflower (a whole head) is wonderful.Â* Too bad you have
>>> so many food dislikes.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've never had a whole head roasted.Â* I've had it simmered and topped
>> with bread crumbs and sour cream.Â* Roasting sounds good.Â* I have also
>> heard of roasted broccoli.

You should try roasted cauliflower some time. And yes, even roasted
broccoli or gee... brussels sprouts.

> It is also good grilled on a BBQ. Slice it about 1/2 to 2/3" thick and
> dunk it in some yogurt with curry powder and then slap it on the grill
> for a couple minutes on each side. It is delicious.

Well I'm not a fan of curry powder but I will concede grilled
cauliflower could be a good thing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> It is pretty damn good!

>What in the world is cornbread dressing?

About half the world calls stuffing dressing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 8:37:56 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> It is pretty damn good!

> >What in the world is cornbread dressing?

> About half the world calls stuffing dressing.

The other half calls dressing stuffing. It's a crazy mixed up world alright.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 08:29:47 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/16/2019 11:50 PM, Doris Night wrote:

>>> What in the world is cornbread dressing?

>> Is your Google broken?
>>
>> Doris
>>

>It's not as though cornbread dressing hasn't been mentioned around the
>holidays every single year...
>
>Jill

Um, Julie stuffing requires UNdresssing! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 1:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 8:37:56 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

>>> What in the world is cornbread dressing?

>> About half the world calls stuffing dressing.

> The other half calls dressing stuffing. It's a crazy mixed up world alright.

I've heard this is the origins of the name
https://www.history.com/news/stuffin...across-america

The term dressing, per the History Channel, originated around the 1850s,
when the Victorians deemed stuffing too crude for the dish to be named.
This happened around the same time that the term €śdark meat€ť began to
refer to chicken legs and thighs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 8:54:34 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/17/2019 1:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 8:37:56 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> >> About half the world calls stuffing dressing.

> > The other half calls dressing stuffing. It's a crazy mixed up world alright.
> >

> I've heard this is the origins of the name
> https://www.history.com/news/stuffin...across-america
>
> The term dressing, per the History Channel, originated around the 1850s,
> when the Victorians deemed stuffing too crude for the dish to be named.
> This happened around the same time that the term €śdark meat€ť began to
> refer to chicken legs and thighs.

This makes sense. The English probably have the largest vocabulary of words for "getting stuffed" so coming up with non-sexual, refined, sounding words were probably a big problem for them. My guess is that they had another term for chicken legs and thighs - maybe some French word.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 1:37:56 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> It is pretty damn good!

> >What in the world is cornbread dressing?

> About half the world calls stuffing dressing.

Stuffing is when you put stuff into the meat. Dressing is when it is made outside of the meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 8:54:34 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/17/2019 1:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 8:37:56 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> >> About half the world calls stuffing dressing.

> > The other half calls dressing stuffing. It's a crazy mixed up world
> > alright.
> >

> I've heard this is the origins of the name
> https://www.history.com/news/stuffin...across-america
>
> The term dressing, per the History Channel, originated around the 1850s,
> when the Victorians deemed stuffing too crude for the dish to be named.
> This happened around the same time that the term €śdark meat€ť began to
> refer to chicken legs and thighs.

This makes sense. The English probably have the largest vocabulary of words
for "getting stuffed" so coming up with non-sexual, refined, sounding words
were probably a big problem for them. My guess is that they had another term
for chicken legs and thighs - maybe some French word.

===

At this point, I have decided to say nowt!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 12:20:50 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 1:37:56 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>> .. .
>> >
>> >What in the world is cornbread dressing?

>> About half the world calls stuffing dressing.

>Stuffing is when you put stuff into the meat. Dressing is when it is made outside of the meat.

"Dressing
1. A salad dressing is a mixture of oil, vinegar, and herbs or
flavourings, which you pour over salad.
2. A dressing is a covering that is put on a wound to protect it while
it heals."
<https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/dressing>

No mention of turkeys or corn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:22:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> At this point, I have decided to say nowt!

That's a most curious word. I am, as they like to say in certain parts of the Eastern mainland, just bustin yer balls!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 1:37:56 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > >
> > >What in the world is cornbread dressing?

> > About half the world calls stuffing dressing.

> Stuffing is when you put stuff into the meat. Dressing is when it is made outside of the meat.

I won't use the word "dressing." It's way too posh. People here would think I was putting on airs. When I was growing up, using the term "soy sauce" would be considered putting on airs. We were supposed to call it "shoyu."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:

> I've never had a whole head roasted. I've had it simmered and topped with bread crumbs and sour cream. Roasting sounds good. I have also heard of roasted broccoli.

Roasted cauliflower is very good but I've had it and prepared it myself after
slicing then roasting. Slicing does make a bit of a mess with bits of the
vegetable going here and there but it's all good once it's corralled onto
the baking sheet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 2:20:53 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:

> Stuffing is when you put stuff into the meat. Dressing is when it is made outside of the meat.

Give that man a cee-gar!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 14:00:37 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 1:37:56 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> > On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:21:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > .. .

>> > About half the world calls stuffing dressing.

>> Stuffing is when you put stuff into the meat. Dressing is when it is made outside of the meat.

>I won't use the word "dressing." It's way too posh. People here would think I was putting on airs. When I was growing up, using the term "soy sauce" would be considered putting on airs. We were supposed to call it "shoyu."

Now it's the opposite. Everybody says soy sauce, but only a new age
quinoa muncher calls it shoyu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > It is pretty damn good!

> What in the world is cornbread dressing?

It is a bit of a southern thing... It's stuffing but made with cornbread
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/17/2019 8:35 AM, jay wrote:

> > > What in the world is cornbread dressing?

> > Un-stuffed stuffing made with cornbread.

> I'm 99% sure she knows this. It's discussed here every year around
> the holidays.
>
> Making cornbread dressing with cauliflower doesn't make any sense,
> that's for sure.
>
> Jill

It would be wetly disgusting and mushy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:22:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> At this point, I have decided to say nowt!

> That's a most curious word. I am, as they like to say in certain parts of the Eastern mainland, just bustin yer balls!

She has balls? Do tell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 5:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 14:00:37 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> Stuffing is when you put stuff into the meat. Dressing is when it is made outside of the meat.

>> I won't use the word "dressing." It's way too posh. People here would think I was putting on airs. When I was growing up, using the term "soy sauce" would be considered putting on airs. We were supposed to call it "shoyu."

> Now it's the opposite. Everybody says soy sauce, but only a new age
> quinoa muncher calls it shoyu.

Daughter and granddaughter call it shoyu. They were brainwashed and
indoctrinated living on that rock. Granddaughter was not even a real
American until they finally moved to the mainland. She was born there
under the spell of Queen Liliuokalani

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 18:47:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/17/2019 5:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 14:00:37 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> I won't use the word "dressing." It's way too posh. People here would think I was putting on airs. When I was growing up, using the term "soy sauce" would be considered putting on airs. We were supposed to call it "shoyu."

>> Now it's the opposite. Everybody says soy sauce, but only a new age
>> quinoa muncher calls it shoyu.
>>

>Daughter and granddaughter call it shoyu. They were brainwashed and
>indoctrinated living on that rock. Granddaughter was not even a real
>American until they finally moved to the mainland. She was born there
>under the spell of Queen Liliuokalani

That makes sense. Lili would have called it shoyu too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 5:05:01 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > What in the world is cornbread dressing?

> It is a bit of a southern thing... It's stuffing but made with cornbread

And NOT shoved up a birds ass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 7:49:59 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 5:05:01 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > > What in the world is cornbread dressing?

> > It is a bit of a southern thing... It's stuffing but made with cornbread
> >

> And NOT shoved up a birds ass.

I am pretty sure any cooked bird has been de-assified!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019 Nov 17, , Ed Pawlowski wrote
(in article >):

> The term dressing, per the History Channel, originated around the 1850s,
> when the Victorians deemed stuffing too crude for the dish to be named.
> This happened around the same time that the term €śdark meat€ť began to
> refer to chicken legs and thighs.

And chicken legs and thighs were drumsticks and second-joints. Women
didnt mention legs and thighs in polite company. My mom still called
thighs
second-joints to the day she died. She would have been a hundred and eleven
this year.

I will be stuffing our turkey with cornbread dressing on Thanksgiving.
Leftover
will be thrown in a casserole and cooked alongside the turkey for about
forty-five minutes.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:51:16 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> Now it's the opposite. Everybody says soy sauce, but only a new age
> quinoa muncher calls it shoyu.

Not really. I don't think people on the mainland are calling soy sauce shoyu. That's just what people in Japan and Hawaii call Japanese soy sauce. I call Chinese or Filipino soy sauce "soy sauce." These days, on the rock, the new generation calls the stuff "soy sauce." My guess is they don't know the difference.

I had some Filipino pork adobo for dinner tonight. It was tasty and made with Filipino soy sauce. I don't much care for Filipino soy sauce but it works very well with pork adobo. It has a very dark, earthy funk, taste to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Swan-S..._df_B00FMOXYM0