Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whats with female pork?

I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
vietnamese, and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
What gives?

By the way all the vietnamese butchers I have been in many suburbs smell
the same, it does not stop me buying pork filet, much cheaper than elswhere,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 20:33:58 +1100, FMurtz >
wrote:

>I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
>vietnamese, and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
>glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
>What gives?
>
>By the way all the vietnamese butchers I have been in many suburbs smell
>the same, it does not stop me buying pork filet, much cheaper than elswhere,

It's all dead industry pig, so just follow your wallet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:34:08 AM UTC-5, FMurtz wrote:
> I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
> vietnamese, and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
> glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
> What gives?
>
> By the way all the vietnamese butchers I have been in many suburbs smell
> the same, it does not stop me buying pork filet, much cheaper than elswhere,

I went into a downtown asian(Chinese?)grocer once. It stunk so much that I turned around and walked out. Never been there since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 5:58:39 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:34:08 AM UTC-5, FMurtz wrote:
> > I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
> > vietnamese, and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
> > glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
> > What gives?
> >
> > By the way all the vietnamese butchers I have been in many suburbs smell
> > the same, it does not stop me buying pork filet, much cheaper than elswhere,

> I went into a downtown asian(Chinese?)grocer once. It stunk so much that I turned around and walked out. Never been there since.

Stunk of what? I find them redolent of dried seafood and fermented products
of various kinds. Definitely a funk, but I'm not afraid of the unfamiliar.

Health food stores also have a distinctive odor profile. Everything
from the People's Food Co-op to Whole Foods has it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:20:24 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 5:58:39 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:34:08 AM UTC-5, FMurtz wrote:
> > > I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
> > > vietnamese, and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
> > > glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
> > > What gives?
> > >
> > > By the way all the vietnamese butchers I have been in many suburbs smell
> > > the same, it does not stop me buying pork filet, much cheaper than elswhere,

> > I went into a downtown asian(Chinese?)grocer once. It stunk so much that I turned around and walked out. Never been there since.

> Stunk of what? I find them redolent of dried seafood and fermented products
> of various kinds. Definitely a funk, but I'm not afraid of the unfamiliar.

It had a very strong meat odour.

> Health food stores also have a distinctive odor profile. Everything
> from the People's Food Co-op to Whole Foods has it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My local health food store has a distinctive odour which I like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:57:57 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:20:24 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > I went into a downtown asian(Chinese?)grocer once. It stunk so much that I turned around and walked out. Never been there since.

> > Stunk of what? I find them redolent of dried seafood and fermented products
> > of various kinds. Definitely a funk, but I'm not afraid of the unfamiliar.

> It had a very strong meat odour.

Fair enough. That's always disturbing. The biggest Asian
grocery hereabouts also smells of the tanks of live tilapia.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 9:02:54 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:57:57 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

> > > Stunk of what? I find them redolent of dried seafood and fermented products
> > > of various kinds. Definitely a funk, but I'm not afraid of the unfamiliar.

> > It had a very strong meat odour.

> Fair enough. That's always disturbing. The biggest Asian
> grocery hereabouts also smells of the tanks of live tilapia.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That was years ago. Maybe they deserve another shot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-15 2:33 a.m., FMurtz wrote:
> I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
> vietnamese,Â* and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
> glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
> What gives?

Meat from a male pig that wasn't castrated tastes and smells vile.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11:20 15 Nov 2019, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 5:58:39 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:34:08 AM UTC-5, FMurtz wrote:
>> > I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
>> > vietnamese, and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on
>> > the glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female
>> > pork" What gives?
>> >
>> > By the way all the vietnamese butchers I have been in many suburbs
>> > smell the same, it does not stop me buying pork filet, much cheaper
>> > than elswhere,

>> I went into a downtown asian(Chinese?)grocer once. It stunk so much
>> that I turned around and walked out. Never been there since.

> Stunk of what? I find them redolent of dried seafood and fermented
> products of various kinds. Definitely a funk, but I'm not afraid of the
> unfamiliar.
>
> Health food stores also have a distinctive odor profile. Everything
> from the People's Food Co-op to Whole Foods has it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Many larger Muslim shops in the UK have a butcher's counter selling halal
meat. Nearly all such shops I've visited reek strongly of badly kept
meat. Not recommended.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 2:58:39 AM UTC-8, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:34:08 AM UTC-5, FMurtz wrote:
> > I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
> > vietnamese, and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
> > glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
> > What gives?
> >
> > By the way all the vietnamese butchers I have been in many suburbs smell
> > the same, it does not stop me buying pork filet, much cheaper than elswhere,

> I went into a downtown asian(Chinese?)grocer once. It stunk so much that I turned around and walked out. Never been there since.

The smell keeps the gweilo out of the joints. A lot of these places are no places for folks with weak stomachs. OTOH, I have heard rumors that some people cannot stand the smell of Subway sandwich joints. They are slaves to their noses. OTOH I have, on numerous occasions, lost my sense of smell/taste. That has its pluses and minuses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 03:57:53 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:20:24 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > I went into a downtown asian(Chinese?)grocer once. It stunk so much that I turned around and walked out. Never been there since.

>> Stunk of what? I find them redolent of dried seafood and fermented products
>> of various kinds. Definitely a funk, but I'm not afraid of the unfamiliar.

>It had a very strong meat odour.

Carrion. Anyway, don't let that stop you. Carry on!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 16:01:35 GMT, pamela >
wrote:

>On 11:20 15 Nov 2019, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 5:58:39 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
>>>
>>> I went into a downtown asian(Chinese?)grocer once. It stunk so much
>>> that I turned around and walked out. Never been there since.

>> Stunk of what? I find them redolent of dried seafood and fermented
>> products of various kinds. Definitely a funk, but I'm not afraid of the
>> unfamiliar.
>>
>> Health food stores also have a distinctive odor profile. Everything
>> from the People's Food Co-op to Whole Foods has it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Many larger Muslim shops in the UK have a butcher's counter selling halal
>meat. Nearly all such shops I've visited reek strongly of badly kept
>meat. Not recommended.

Halal meaning that the animals were slaughtered in the most painful
way, because Allah likes it that way? And that the slaughterer's ass
was facing the US?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce pretended :
> And that the slaughterer's ass was facing the US?

That's different than how you always have your
nose buried in the USA's collective ass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Casa de Masa wrote:
> Bruce pretended :
>> And that the slaughterer's ass was facing the US?
>>

> That's different than how you always have your
> nose buried in the USA's collective ass.

That's why it's brown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 9:54:21 AM UTC-6, graham wrote:

> On 2019-11-15 2:33 a.m., FMurtz wrote:
>
> > I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
> > vietnamese,Â* and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
> > glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
> > What gives?
> >

> Meat from a male pig that wasn't castrated tastes and smells vile.

That true!! Very distinctive smell when it's cooking, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-15 10:54 a.m., graham wrote:
> On 2019-11-15 2:33 a.m., FMurtz wrote:
>> I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
>> vietnamese,Â* and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on
>> the glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female
>> pork" What gives?
>>

> Meat from a male pig that wasn't castrated tastes and smells vile.

Serious question.....how long before slaughter can they be castrated and
get rid of the junk funk?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
>vietnamese, and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
>glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
>What gives?
>
>By the way all the vietnamese butchers I have been in many suburbs smell
>the same, it does not stop me buying pork filet, much cheaper than elswhere,

'smell'. LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-15 3:06 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-11-15 10:54 a.m., graham wrote:
>> On 2019-11-15 2:33 a.m., FMurtz wrote:
>>> I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
>>> vietnamese,Â* and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on
>>> the glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female
>>> pork" What gives?
>>>

>> Meat from a male pig that wasn't castrated tastes and smells vile.

> Serious question.....how long before slaughter can they be castrated and
> get rid of the junk funk?

They are normally fixed as very young piglets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 08:54:09 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-11-15 2:33 a.m., FMurtz wrote:
>> I was in an asian butcher's the other day(asian being probably
>> vietnamese,* and it stunk to high heaven)but back to the subject, on the
>> glass in front of the meat was a sign " all 100 percent female pork"
>> What gives?
>>

>Meat from a male pig that wasn't castrated tastes and smells vile.

Boars of many different animals are strong tasting.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Some say they can tell when wall into a restaurant if they use canole oil and if they smell it they leave.