Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Winter squash identifier with recipes

good site: Interesting recipes.
https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S Janet B wrote:

> good site: Interesting recipes.
> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

i've yet to meet a squash i wouldn't like, but the
butternut is one that comes close. the acorn is 2nd
to the last i'd eat, but better than butternut.

all the rest on that site look good to me and i've
had a fair share of them.

always glad to know more about gardening and what
is out there. thanks.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> U.S Janet B wrote:
>>
>> good site: Interesting recipes.
>> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

> i've yet to meet a squash i wouldn't like, but the
> butternut is one that comes close. the acorn is 2nd
> to the last i'd eat, but better than butternut.
>
> all the rest on that site look good to me and i've
> had a fair share of them.
>
> always glad to know more about gardening and what
> is out there. thanks.

I like roasted squash but not usually mashed. Exception was the Hearth and
Kettle on Cape Cod. Online reviews indicate that they've gone downhill and I
no longer see this side dish on the menu. But I used to get a squash side
dish that was mashed, very sweet and tasted of pumpkin. Probably had far
more carbs than I should have eaten though.

I pretty much only buy Delicate these days because I don't have to peel it.
I do find it to be a PITA because I have to scrape the insides out. Once in
a while I will find cut up squash that is frozen or fresh, marked down to a
good price, and then I will buy that. But squash is something I can do
without. It's okay. Just not a favorite food. I prefer summer squash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:23:47 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>U.S Janet B wrote:
>>
>> good site: Interesting recipes.
>> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

> i've yet to meet a squash i wouldn't like, but the
>butternut is one that comes close. the acorn is 2nd
>to the last i'd eat, but better than butternut.
>
> all the rest on that site look good to me and i've
>had a fair share of them.
>
> always glad to know more about gardening and what
>is out there. thanks.
>

> songbird

I love winter squash. I buy a lot of butternut because that and acorn
are generally what we are offered in the stores. I am embarrassed
when I see stores offering "gourds" for Halloween decorations and the
gourds are the beautiful hubbards, kabotas, etc. I don't buy them
anymore because they are so large and we just don't eat enough to
either process and freeze or cut up and refrigerate and eat for a
week, 10 days.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> good price, and then I will buy that. But squash is something I can do
> without. It's okay. Just not a favorite food. I prefer summer squash.

we're opposites for sure. i can do without most summer
squash. if i want water i'll just drink it. not that i
dislike them, but they're not high on my list. we don't
even grow them - we don't buy them or cook with them.

when you grow hundreds of lbs of cucumbers there's just
very little that looks or tastes like that which i'd care
to bother with.

some year i may try to grow some trombonico squash which
are supposedly more resistant to borers and beetles and
perhaps a bit more firm, but again, that's not anything too
pressing on my list of things to do or try.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 2:21:16 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:23:47 -0500, songbird >
> wrote:
>
> I love winter squash. I buy a lot of butternut because that and acorn
> are generally what we are offered in the stores.
>
> Janet US

I bought at winter squash last year after reading recommendations here and
following a recipe given to a T. Bland except for the maple syrup. What
do you do that makes the squash not taste like Gerber baby food?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:40:22 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 2:21:16 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:23:47 -0500, songbird >
>> wrote:
>>
>> I love winter squash. I buy a lot of butternut because that and acorn
>> are generally what we are offered in the stores.
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>I bought at winter squash last year after reading recommendations here and
>following a recipe given to a T. Bland except for the maple syrup. What
>do you do that makes the squash not taste like Gerber baby food?

I roast winter squash either cut in half or peeled and cut in chunks.
Rub with a little oil and sprinkle on seasoning of your choice. We
don't season at all until at the table when we add a bit of butt and
s&p. Boiled squash is nasty stuff.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 5:41:40 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:40:22 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I bought at winter squash last year after reading recommendations here and
> >following a recipe given to a T. Bland except for the maple syrup. What
> >do you do that makes the squash not taste like Gerber baby food?

> I roast winter squash either cut in half or peeled and cut in chunks.
> Rub with a little oil and sprinkle on seasoning of your choice. We
> don't season at all until at the table when we add a bit of butt and
> s&p. Boiled squash is nasty stuff.
> Janet US

The one I cooked was halved, seeded, a bit of salt, a dab of butter, and a
small glug of maple syrup. Baked in the oven until tender.

The syrup was delicious . . . . . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S Janet B wrote:
> I roast winter squash either cut in half or peeled and cut in chunks.
> Rub with a little oil and sprinkle on seasoning of your choice. We
> don't season at all until at the table when we add a bit of butt and
> s&p. Boiled squash is nasty stuff.

i much prefer them roasted in the oven until they
get some caramelization on them.

i've never boiled it. we have nuked it various ways
but i've usually ended up going back to roasting for
larger batches. i put some water in the pans i roast
them in so there is some humidity while roasting.

when i have hundreds to process i have to triage the
worst of them first and bake those up, we'll eat and
give away what we can then as the fall winter goes on
i'll pick those that are next in line and do those.
as they age they get a better flavor IMO. some will
go bad. that's the breaks. by mid-winter i'm quite
happy to have something to do so i'll cut up and roast
what is left and put those in freezer bags or give it
away depending upon what we have.

this season we didn't plant that many and they were
late planting so not many were harvested. they're
already gone. a few were good, most were ok, a few
weren't really edible and i ditched 'em. worms are
happy to get the scraps and seeds i dump around the
lilac tree out back.

a good buttercup or kabocha squash is enough like
a sweet potato that i wouldn't call them bland. i
usually only eat them plain or with some butter. other
times i like them heated up with chili and cheese on
top or hot sauce.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 7:43:52 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Squash is just another vegetable that must be given the taste you
> want. Like eggplant, and rice, it is almost flavorless. Tofu has no
> taste, until you add other ingredients. But these bland vegetables
> are important parts of very flavorful dishes ... like eggplant
> parmesan for example.

I went to an investment dinner last and sat with pretty much the same people
I always sit with. One lady got eggplant parmesan and I was *almost* tempted
to ask for a bite but decided I could live without it. I had a plate of veal
piccata that had my undivided attention.

))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 20:46:08 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

snip

> a good buttercup or kabocha squash is enough like
>a sweet potato that i wouldn't call them bland. i
>usually only eat them plain or with some butter. other
>times i like them heated up with chili and cheese on
>top or hot sauce.
>

> songbird

I agree about the flavor for the squash you mention. If not allowed
to ripen they will not be very flavorful. I only planted one kabocha
this year, really to keep the weeds down in an unused patch of the
garden. I got 10 or 12 off of it. I kept cutting it back as it kept
attacking my corn and wire caged tomatoes. As it was, when I was
cleaning up the garden I found several squash hidden inside the tomato
plant cages. One or 2 of the newest squash hadn't really matured as
they should and the meat was a little bland and the color wasn't deep
orange.
I would choose winter squash over just about any other vegetable
except I would want tomatoes as a sidekick.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 4:40:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 2:21:16 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:23:47 -0500, songbird >
> > wrote:
> >
> > I love winter squash. I buy a lot of butternut because that and acorn
> > are generally what we are offered in the stores.
> >
> > Janet US
> >

> I bought at winter squash last year after reading recommendations here and
> following a recipe given to a T. Bland except for the maple syrup. What
> do you do that makes the squash not taste like Gerber baby food?

Powdered chipotle chiles.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2019 5:36 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> good site: Interesting recipes.
> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

Bookmarked. Thanks for posting this!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S Janet B wrote:
> I agree about the flavor for the squash you mention. If not allowed
> to ripen they will not be very flavorful.

more like a summer squash when young. edible but not
really worth the calories or cooking IMO when i have other
options instead.

also, if you are eating acorn squash from the store they
are usually really bland these days. in comparison to a
home grown one that was properly fed from the soil and
ripened those are really good. i'm not sure many people
these days even know what an acorn squash used to normally
be like.

> I only planted one kabocha
> this year, really to keep the weeds down in an unused patch of the
> garden. I got 10 or 12 off of it. I kept cutting it back as it kept
> attacking my corn and wire caged tomatoes. As it was, when I was
> cleaning up the garden I found several squash hidden inside the tomato
> plant cages. One or 2 of the newest squash hadn't really matured as
> they should and the meat was a little bland and the color wasn't deep
> orange.
> I would choose winter squash over just about any other vegetable
> except I would want tomatoes as a sidekick.

i like about any vegetable, but yes, squash are high up on
our list of favorites. we're going to miss them this year.
in the recent past we've always had enough in the freezer to
get us through.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 09:24:57 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>U.S Janet B wrote:
>> I agree about the flavor for the squash you mention. If not allowed
>> to ripen they will not be very flavorful.

> more like a summer squash when young. edible but not
>really worth the calories or cooking IMO when i have other
>options instead.
>
> also, if you are eating acorn squash from the store they
>are usually really bland these days. in comparison to a
>home grown one that was properly fed from the soil and
>ripened those are really good. i'm not sure many people
>these days even know what an acorn squash used to normally
>be like.

snip

> songbird

Finally, someone who agrees with me about acorn squash. The store
bought ones are awful these days.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:37:19 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> good site: Interesting recipes.
> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

This is not a winter squash. However, I don't see it mentioned here so I thought I'd chime in. My mom makes a good vegetable marrow squash dish. I don't know her exact recipe but the following looks as though it may be close...
Her technique uses dill and sour cream.

https://kitchenbliss.ca/hungarian-cr...ash-tokfozelek

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 09:58:41 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:37:19 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> good site: Interesting recipes.
>> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

>This is not a winter squash. However, I don't see it mentioned here so I thought I'd chime in. My mom makes a good vegetable marrow squash dish. I don't know her exact recipe but the following looks as though it may be close...
>Her technique uses dill and sour cream.
>

>https://kitchenbliss.ca/hungarian-cr...ash-tokfozelek

thank you for bringing this up. For some reason I had always thought
that vegetable marrow was a winter squash. Now I know better after
reading your link.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:37:19 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> good site: Interesting recipes.
>> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

> This is not a winter squash. However, I don't see it mentioned here so I thought I'd chime in. My mom makes a good vegetable marrow squash dish. I don't know her exact recipe but the following looks as though it may be close...
> Her technique uses dill and sour cream.
>

> https://kitchenbliss.ca/hungarian-cr...ash-tokfozelek

the marrow squash and zucchini are close enough that i think
they can be used.

i've never had any of the dishes described, but would try
them.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:37:19 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> good site: Interesting recipes.
>> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

> This is not a winter squash. However, I don't see it mentioned here so I
> thought I'd chime in. My mom makes a good vegetable marrow squash dish.
> I don't know her exact recipe but the following looks as though it may be
> close...
> Her technique uses dill and sour cream.
>

> https://kitchenbliss.ca/hungarian-cr...ash-tokfozelek

the marrow squash and zucchini are close enough that i think
they can be used.

i've never had any of the dishes described, but would try
them.

songbird

====

We have never eaten 'squashes?' but I do use zucchini instead of
spaghetti sometimes. We like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:18:50 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "songbird" wrote in message ...
>
> A Moose in Love wrote:
> > On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:37:19 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> good site: Interesting recipes.
> >> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

> > This is not a winter squash. However, I don't see it mentioned here so I
> > thought I'd chime in. My mom makes a good vegetable marrow squash dish.
> > I don't know her exact recipe but the following looks as though it may be
> > close...
> > Her technique uses dill and sour cream.
> >

> > https://kitchenbliss.ca/hungarian-cr...ash-tokfozelek

> the marrow squash and zucchini are close enough that i think
> they can be used.
>
> i've never had any of the dishes described, but would try
> them.
>

> songbird
>
> ====
>
> We have never eaten 'squashes?' but I do use zucchini instead of
> spaghetti sometimes. We like that.

Yes, you have:

Squash: "any of various fruits of plants (genus Cucurbita) of the gourd family
widely cultivated as vegetables"

This includes Cucurbita pepo: field pumpkin, summer squash, zucchini, vegetable marrow, courgette, acorn squash

For additional members of the Cucurbita genus:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita#Taxonomy>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:18:50 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "songbird" wrote in message ...
>
> A Moose in Love wrote:
> > On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:37:19 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> good site: Interesting recipes.
> >> https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...ieties-article

> > This is not a winter squash. However, I don't see it mentioned here so
> > thought I'd chime in. My mom makes a good vegetable marrow squash dish.
> > I don't know her exact recipe but the following looks as though it may
> > be
> > close...
> > Her technique uses dill and sour cream.
> >

> > https://kitchenbliss.ca/hungarian-cr...ash-tokfozelek

> the marrow squash and zucchini are close enough that i think
> they can be used.
>
> i've never had any of the dishes described, but would try
> them.
>

> songbird
>
> ====
>
> We have never eaten 'squashes?' but I do use zucchini instead of
> spaghetti sometimes. We like that.

Yes, you have:

Squash: "any of various fruits of plants (genus Cucurbita) of the gourd
family
widely cultivated as vegetables"

This includes Cucurbita pepo: field pumpkin, summer squash, zucchini,
vegetable marrow, courgette, acorn squash

For additional members of the Cucurbita genus:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita#Taxonomy>

Cindy Hamilton

===

You got me)) I have eaten and cooked zucchini/courgette (same thing
here) but that is all!! None of the rest.

Never had any of the others or come to think of it, never had the
courgettes when I was growing up either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I think most boiled squash is not even as good as baby food.

I would never just boil it although I always add some to a
vegetable soup if I have some handy.

About baby food: Nothing wrong with that. I went on a 3-day
surfing trip to Cape Hatteras back in the 1970's. Nothing
down there (store wise) back then so we all brought our own
food. My food supply was a paper grocery bag full of baby
food in the cute little jars. It ruled and I was satisfied.

> OTOH, I
> will peel, slice, roast, butternut squash. Cut about 3/8 to 1/2" thick,
> lightly coat with oil, roast on a sheet pan, turning after about 30
> minutes. Should be a nice dark color for best taste.

I like squash floured or battered and fried in a pan with a
bit of oil. Same with green tomatoes at end of season.
I'm talking about thick slices like 1/2 inch or a bit more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:07:56 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:18:50 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "songbird" wrote in message ...
>>
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>> >
>> > This is not a winter squash. However, I don't see it mentioned here so
>> > thought I'd chime in. My mom makes a good vegetable marrow squash dish.
>> > I don't know her exact recipe but the following looks as though it may
>> > be
>> > close...
>> > Her technique uses dill and sour cream.
>> >

>> > https://kitchenbliss.ca/hungarian-cr...ash-tokfozelek

>> the marrow squash and zucchini are close enough that i think
>> they can be used.
>>
>> i've never had any of the dishes described, but would try
>> them.
>>

>> songbird
>>
>> ====
>>
>> We have never eaten 'squashes?' but I do use zucchini instead of
>> spaghetti sometimes. We like that.

>Yes, you have:
>
>Squash: "any of various fruits of plants (genus Cucurbita) of the gourd
>family
>widely cultivated as vegetables"
>
>This includes Cucurbita pepo: field pumpkin, summer squash, zucchini,
>vegetable marrow, courgette, acorn squash
>
>For additional members of the Cucurbita genus:
>
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita#Taxonomy>
>
>Cindy Hamilton
>
>===
>
> You got me)) I have eaten and cooked zucchini/courgette (same thing
>here) but that is all!! None of the rest.
>
> Never had any of the others or come to think of it, never had the
>courgettes when I was growing up either.

I think they were only introduced in the Netherlands in the 70s. They
were a Mediterranean thing before.

The only other "squash" I've had is that small yellow thing that looks
like a flying saucer. Something pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 07:45:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I think most boiled squash is not even as good as baby food.

>I would never just boil it although I always add some to a
>vegetable soup if I have some handy.

I make an excellent soup of mixed summer squash at the end of their
growing season... I posted a picture here but don't feel like looking
for it now.

>About baby food: Nothing wrong with that. I went on a 3-day
>surfing trip to Cape Hatteras back in the 1970's. Nothing
>down there (store wise) back then so we all brought our own
>food. My food supply was a paper grocery bag full of baby
>food in the cute little jars. It ruled and I was satisfied.
>
>> OTOH, I
>> will peel, slice, roast, butternut squash. Cut about 3/8 to 1/2" thick,
>> lightly coat with oil, roast on a sheet pan, turning after about 30
>> minutes. Should be a nice dark color for best taste.

>I like squash floured or battered and fried in a pan with a
>bit of oil. Same with green tomatoes at end of season.
>I'm talking about thick slices like 1/2 inch or a bit more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 1:05:22 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:07:56 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> >
> >On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:18:50 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> >> the marrow squash and zucchini are close enough that i think
> >> they can be used.
> >>
> >> i've never had any of the dishes described, but would try
> >> them.
> >>

> >> songbird
> >>
> >> ====
> >>
> >> We have never eaten 'squashes?' but I do use zucchini instead of
> >> spaghetti sometimes. We like that.

> >Yes, you have:
> >
> >Squash: "any of various fruits of plants (genus Cucurbita) of the gourd
> >family
> >widely cultivated as vegetables"
> >
> >This includes Cucurbita pepo: field pumpkin, summer squash, zucchini,
> >vegetable marrow, courgette, acorn squash
> >
> >For additional members of the Cucurbita genus:
> >
> ><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita#Taxonomy>
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton
> >
> >===
> >
> > You got me)) I have eaten and cooked zucchini/courgette (same thing
> >here) but that is all!! None of the rest.
> >
> > Never had any of the others or come to think of it, never had the
> >courgettes when I was growing up either.

> I think they were only introduced in the Netherlands in the 70s. They
> were a Mediterranean thing before.
>
> The only other "squash" I've had is that small yellow thing that looks
> like a flying saucer. Something pan.

I've eaten at least eight types of squash:

zucchini
crookneck
patty pan
acorn
butternut
buttercup
kabocha
pumpkin

Maybe more. Zucchini the most frequently, by far.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 10:51:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>I've eaten at least eight types of squash:
>
>zucchini
>crookneck
>patty pan
>acorn
>butternut
>buttercup
>kabocha
>pumpkin
>
>Maybe more. Zucchini the most frequently, by far.

Oh yes, pumpkin. Pumpkin dip from the supermarket, for instance. And
Queensland blue.

I think, generally speaking, squash is more of an American thing,
though. The word alone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 06:02:12 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 10:51:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>I've eaten at least eight types of squash:
>>
>>zucchini
>>crookneck
>>patty pan
>>acorn
>>butternut
>>buttercup
>>kabocha
>>pumpkin
>>
>>Maybe more. Zucchini the most frequently, by far.

>Oh yes, pumpkin. Pumpkin dip from the supermarket, for instance. And
>Queensland blue.
>
>I think, generally speaking, squash is more of an American thing,
>though. The word alone.

I understood that the Aussies called them all "pumpkin."
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:06:01 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 06:02:12 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 10:51:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>>
>>>I've eaten at least eight types of squash:
>>>
>>>zucchini
>>>crookneck
>>>patty pan
>>>acorn
>>>butternut
>>>buttercup
>>>kabocha
>>>pumpkin
>>>
>>>Maybe more. Zucchini the most frequently, by far.

>>Oh yes, pumpkin. Pumpkin dip from the supermarket, for instance. And
>>Queensland blue.
>>
>>I think, generally speaking, squash is more of an American thing,
>>though. The word alone.

>I understood that the Aussies called them all "pumpkin."

When I search for squash at a leading supermarket, I get patty pan and
zucchini:
<https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/search/products?searchTerm=squash>

And this for pumpkin:
<https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/search/products?searchTerm=pumpkin>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 06:02:12 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 10:51:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>>
>>>I've eaten at least eight types of squash:
>>>
>>>zucchini
>>>crookneck
>>>patty pan
>>>acorn
>>>butternut
>>>buttercup
>>>kabocha
>>>pumpkin
>>>
>>>Maybe more. Zucchini the most frequently, by far.

>>Oh yes, pumpkin. Pumpkin dip from the supermarket, for instance. And
>>Queensland blue.
>>
>>I think, generally speaking, squash is more of an American thing,
>>though. The word alone.

>I understood that the Aussies called them all "pumpkin."
>Janet US

Aussies are uneducated... they don't even have a national language,
alphabet, or monetary system, they grunt in kangaroo and count in
koalas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:45:12 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> I like squash floured or battered and fried in a pan with a
> bit of oil.

No, not ever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:07:56 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:18:50 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "songbird" wrote in message ...
>>
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>> >
>> > This is not a winter squash. However, I don't see it mentioned here so
>> > thought I'd chime in. My mom makes a good vegetable marrow squash
>> > dish.
>> > I don't know her exact recipe but the following looks as though it may
>> > be
>> > close...
>> > Her technique uses dill and sour cream.
>> >

>> > https://kitchenbliss.ca/hungarian-cr...ash-tokfozelek

>> the marrow squash and zucchini are close enough that i think
>> they can be used.
>>
>> i've never had any of the dishes described, but would try
>> them.
>>

>> songbird
>>
>> ====
>>
>> We have never eaten 'squashes?' but I do use zucchini instead of
>> spaghetti sometimes. We like that.

>Yes, you have:
>
>Squash: "any of various fruits of plants (genus Cucurbita) of the gourd
>family
>widely cultivated as vegetables"
>
>This includes Cucurbita pepo: field pumpkin, summer squash, zucchini,
>vegetable marrow, courgette, acorn squash
>
>For additional members of the Cucurbita genus:
>
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita#Taxonomy>
>
>Cindy Hamilton
>
>===
>
> You got me)) I have eaten and cooked zucchini/courgette (same thing
>here) but that is all!! None of the rest.
>
> Never had any of the others or come to think of it, never had the
>courgettes when I was growing up either.

I think they were only introduced in the Netherlands in the 70s. They
were a Mediterranean thing before.

The only other "squash" I've had is that small yellow thing that looks
like a flying saucer. Something pan.

===

What was it like? Not something I've ever had

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 12:51:18 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I've eaten at least eight types of squash:
>
> zucchini
> crookneck
> patty pan
> acorn
> butternut
> buttercup
> kabocha
> pumpkin
>
> Maybe more. Zucchini the most frequently, by far.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

A few years ago my brother grew some zucchini and yellow squash in his garden.
Of course the zukes grew like a cancer produced copious amounts and he brought
me some. I don't like them and gave them to my neighbor. He invited me and
the neighbors on the other side of him for a 'clean out the refrigerator'
type dinner as he was going on vacation. What was on the menu? Those
dang zucchinis I had given him!

ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:44:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:45:12 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> >
> > I like squash floured or battered and fried in a pan with a
> > bit of oil.
> >

> No, not ever.

I'm fond of winter squash tempura and winter squash Korean barbecue
(grilled, dressed with spicy dipping sauce, and optionally wrapped
in a lettuce leaf).

Like many vegetables, it benefits from dry-heat cooking.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:44:48 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:45:12 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
>>
>> I like squash floured or battered and fried in a pan with a
>> bit of oil.
>>

>No, not ever.

Sounds good to me. I'd add some garlic and some chilli pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:52:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 12:51:18 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I've eaten at least eight types of squash:
> >
> > zucchini
> > crookneck
> > patty pan
> > acorn
> > butternut
> > buttercup
> > kabocha
> > pumpkin
> >
> > Maybe more. Zucchini the most frequently, by far.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> A few years ago my brother grew some zucchini and yellow squash in his garden.
> Of course the zukes grew like a cancer produced copious amounts and he brought
> me some. I don't like them

What's not to like? Zucchini is a mild vegetable that absorbs whatever
flavor it's cooked with. Granted, it's not appealing if cooked to mush.

Grilled, sauteed with garlic, or even topped with spaghetti sauce. It's
all good.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 20:50:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:07:56 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>You got me)) I have eaten and cooked zucchini/courgette (same thing
>>here) but that is all!! None of the rest.
>>
>>Never had any of the others or come to think of it, never had the
>>courgettes when I was growing up either.

>I think they were only introduced in the Netherlands in the 70s. They
>were a Mediterranean thing before.
>
>The only other "squash" I've had is that small yellow thing that looks
>like a flying saucer. Something pan.
>
>===
>
>What was it like? Not something I've ever had

It's as neutral/flexible as courgette, but with a bit more bite
because it has more skin.

Gratin of Winter Squash Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 16-09-2005 01:52 AM
Winter Squash Risotto 7Hawks Recipes 0 18-11-2004 09:09 PM
With all the postings on winter squash..... Kswck General Cooking 18 06-11-2004 10:09 PM
Winter Squash Soup Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 31-10-2004 03:15 PM
Winter Squash varieties LIMEYNO1 General Cooking 4 21-11-2003 05:29 AM