Old 13-07-2019, 05:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buy powdered/dry milk online (USA)?

Note: Post about any location, but I'm in the USA.

I can buy about 20 quarts worth at a time.

I am unimpressed by Walmart's Great Value nonfat dry milk. I find lots
of tiny little things in it. I'm sure it's harmless, but it's annoying.
I have a system for dispensing the powder into a glass. Works fantastic,
and lets me clearly see the milk before it dissolves.

I might use Carnation. Seems more available at Walmart's online outlet
than it is in their store.

Why is "Augason Farms" milk so expensive (Amazon and Walmart)? They want
$22 for 2 1/2 gallons??? The Carnation is $4 for 3 quarts. That is 13 or
$14 for 2 1/2 gallons.

Any other possibilities for a quality brand?

Thanks.

Old 13-07-2019, 05:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 11:17:45 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:

Why is "Augason Farms" milk so expensive (Amazon and Walmart)? They want
$22 for 2 1/2 gallons??? The Carnation is $4 for 3 quarts. That is 13 or
$14 for 2 1/2 gallons.

Any other possibilities for a quality brand?

Thanks.

I just went directly to their site and 2 1/2 gallons is $13.79 but I don't
know how much shipping would be.
Old 13-07-2019, 11:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 12:17:45 AM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
Note: Post about any location, but I'm in the USA.

I can buy about 20 quarts worth at a time.

I am unimpressed by Walmart's Great Value nonfat dry milk. I find lots
of tiny little things in it. I'm sure it's harmless, but it's annoying.
I have a system for dispensing the powder into a glass. Works fantastic,
and lets me clearly see the milk before it dissolves.

I might use Carnation. Seems more available at Walmart's online outlet
than it is in their store.

There's probably very little demand for it when fresh milk is so readily
available.

Why is "Augason Farms" milk so expensive (Amazon and Walmart)?

They appear to be geared toward the prepper community rather than the
mass market.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-07-2019, 11:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 03:12:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 12:17:45 AM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
Note: Post about any location, but I'm in the USA.

I can buy about 20 quarts worth at a time.

I am unimpressed by Walmart's Great Value nonfat dry milk. I find lots
of tiny little things in it. I'm sure it's harmless, but it's annoying.
I have a system for dispensing the powder into a glass. Works fantastic,
and lets me clearly see the milk before it dissolves.

I might use Carnation. Seems more available at Walmart's online outlet
than it is in their store.

There's probably very little demand for it when fresh milk is so readily
available.

Why is "Augason Farms" milk so expensive (Amazon and Walmart)?

They appear to be geared toward the prepper community rather than the
mass market.

No expenses spared when you're preparing for a Martian invasion.
Old 13-07-2019, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

===

Don't you keep any kind of storage for food? Do you live on what you
buy day to day??

Old 13-07-2019, 03:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I can't speak for Bruce, but I keep very little food stored. Perhaps one or
two extras of things I use frequently, like canned tomatoes, mayonnaise,
etc. I've got two refrigerators and the freezer compartments are filled
with meat and other perishables.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-07-2019, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

No expenses spared when you're preparing for a Martian invasion.

Don't you keep any kind of storage for food? Do you live on what you
buy day to day??

I can't speak for Bruce, but I keep very little food stored. Perhaps one or
two extras of things I use frequently, like canned tomatoes, mayonnaise,
etc. I've got two refrigerators and the freezer compartments are filled
with meat and other perishables.

Cindy Hamilton

I'm pretty much the same as you Cindy. I've got canned goods and a freezer
bulging but I don't keep powdered milk on hand nor evaporated milk.
Old 13-07-2019, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

====

So you are prepared for a difficult time. You are both housebound for
any reason perhaps. It is good to have a back up!

Old 13-07-2019, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I can't speak for Bruce, but I keep very little food stored.

I've got two refrigerators and the freezer compartments are filled
with meat and other perishables.

Too funny.
Old 13-07-2019, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 04:17:41 -0000 (UTC), John Doe wrote:

Note: Post about any location, but I'm in the USA.

I can buy about 20 quarts worth at a time.

I am unimpressed by Walmart's Great Value nonfat dry milk. I find lots
of tiny little things in it. I'm sure it's harmless, but it's annoying.
I have a system for dispensing the powder into a glass. Works fantastic,
and lets me clearly see the milk before it dissolves.

I might use Carnation. Seems more available at Walmart's online outlet
than it is in their store.

Why is "Augason Farms" milk so expensive (Amazon and Walmart)? They want
$22 for 2 1/2 gallons??? The Carnation is $4 for 3 quarts. That is 13 or
$14 for 2 1/2 gallons.

Any other possibilities for a quality brand?

Dried milk powder, especially for infant formulas, are in high
demand in China and they import a shit-ton of it. They used to
produce a lot of it and flood the market, until the scandal a decade
ago. Now even the Chinese don't trust it. While they don't import
it from the U.S. they still buy a lot that affects other countries
wanting the same stuff, so quality and price are going to be all
over the place.

-sw

Old 13-07-2019, 05:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 12:17:45 AM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
Note: Post about any location, but I'm in the USA.

I can buy about 20 quarts worth at a time.

(snipped)

There's probably very little demand for it when fresh milk is so readily
available.

Why is "Augason Farms" milk so expensive (Amazon and Walmart)?

They appear to be geared toward the prepper community rather than the
mass market.

No expenses spared when you're preparing for a Martian invasion.

===

¬*¬* Don't you keep¬* any kind of storage for food?¬* Do you live on what
you buy day to day??

Having staples in the pantry/cupboard isn't the same thing as being a
"prepper".

Jill
Old 13-07-2019, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 12:17:45 AM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
Note: Post about any location, but I'm in the USA.

I can buy about 20 quarts worth at a time.

(snipped)

There's probably very little demand for it when fresh milk is so readily
available.

Why is "Augason Farms" milk so expensive (Amazon and Walmart)?

They appear to be geared toward the prepper community rather than the
mass market.

No expenses spared when you're preparing for a Martian invasion.

===

Don't you keep any kind of storage for food? Do you live on what you
buy day to day??

Having staples in the pantry/cupboard isn't the same thing as being a
"prepper".

Jill

=====

?? Excuse me! did I suggest it was?? It doesn't stop a normal family
keeping somethings on hand for emergencies don't you think?

Old 13-07-2019, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

You sort of did suggest it. Cindy wrote: "They appear to be geared
toward the prepper community rather than the
mass market." You asked, "Don't you keep any kind of storage for food?"

She answered. So did I.

Preppers aren't people who keep a normal amount of food in the pantry in
case of a power outage for a few days. Preppers stockpile food to
prepare for the end of the world. Hence the need for a lot of powdered
milk, even powdered butter. Dehydrated food, in foil packets bought in
large large quantities. The OP mentioned buying the equivalent of 20
quarts of powdered milk. Augason Farms is clearly a "prepper" supplier.

But hey, who knows why *John Doe* wants to buy large quantities of
powdered milk online.

Jill
Old 13-07-2019, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

But I didn't suggest she does any of that, did I? I simply asked
"Don't you keep any kind of storage for food?"

Old 13-07-2019, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

[...]

I rarely use milk, so I keep a few cans of Carnation on hand in case it's called for...like for mac 'n cheeze or such like...

I'm a singleton but keep a goodly stock on hand of the basics...I'll shop once or twice a week for fresh vittles...and there is a nice farmer's market nearby, I'll start going next week, after the wet cold spring produce is starting to come in...

On weekends I make my work lunches, some I freeze for later use, some for immediate use, today I am making:

- sweet 'n sour p0rk (brown rice noodles)
- pasta salad with chicken/veg
- scalloped taters with ham and peas
- shrimp 'n broccoli (brown rice)
- spicy veg medley with brown rice noodles

Also made some "icebox" chow - chow with cukes, onions, celery, red bell peppers...two quarts, should last the month...

And referring to the "fave tv show" thread, I always do this prep on Saturdays whilst watching "Law & Order: SVU" (it's an all - day marathon, 16 straight hours!) with the FAB Mariska Hargitay, I adore her...it is uncanny how much she resembles her mom Jayne Mansfield...

--
Best
Greg