Old 12-05-2019, 10:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help please? OT

The listing has changed on my opening menu.

Instead of things coming under a header, the are all listed in one err list.

Any help to put it right would be very welcome.

sorry I don't know how else to explain it

Old 12-05-2019, 11:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

The listing has changed on my opening menu.
Instead of things coming under a header, they are all listed in one err list.
Any help to put it right would be very welcome.
sorry I don't know how else to explain it

Not quite sure what you are talking about but:

Many people just leave computers on all the time. Even still one
would benefit from a reboot occasionally. If your's is acting
odd, first line of defense is a reboot.

You want to do a cold start, meaning completely shut down your
computer to OFF, not just "sleep" or whatever. Let sit a minute
or two so the HD will completely stop spinning, then turn it on
again and wait while it boots up.

That's the "first line of defense" and will often solve those odd
problems.

Try it and good luck. Let us know.
Ps- Good morning and Happy Mom's Day too. :-D
Old 12-05-2019, 12:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2019 5:04 AM, Gary wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
The listing has changed on my opening menu.
Instead of things coming under a header, they are all listed in one err list.
Any help to put it right would be very welcome.
sorry I don't know how else to explain it

Not quite sure what you are talking about but:

Many people just leave computers on all the time. Even still one
would benefit from a reboot occasionally. If your's is acting
odd, first line of defense is a reboot.

You want to do a cold start, meaning completely shut down your
computer to OFF, not just "sleep" or whatever. Let sit a minute
or two so the HD will completely stop spinning, then turn it on
again and wait while it boots up.

That's the "first line of defense" and will often solve those odd
problems.

Try it and good luck. Let us know.
Ps- Good morning and Happy Mom's Day too. :-D

** It would help to know what operating system you are using and which
menu is messed up . As Gary said , a cold reboot might fix it . Be aware
that the newer OS's may need to be unplugged from the power outlet to
completely turn off - W10 is that way . It never actually turns off ,
just goes to sleep .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 12-05-2019, 12:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

The listing has changed on my opening menu.
Instead of things coming under a header, they are all listed in one err
list.
Any help to put it right would be very welcome.
sorry I don't know how else to explain it

Not quite sure what you are talking about but:

Many people just leave computers on all the time. Even still one
would benefit from a reboot occasionally. If your's is acting
odd, first line of defense is a reboot.

You want to do a cold start, meaning completely shut down your
computer to OFF, not just "sleep" or whatever. Let sit a minute
or two so the HD will completely stop spinning, then turn it on
again and wait while it boots up.

That's the "first line of defense" and will often solve those odd
problems.

Try it and good luck. Let us know.
Ps- Good morning and Happy Mom's Day too. :-D

===

Thank you, I will do that!

Thanks you very much for the Mother's Day wishes))) I have some
lovely cards on my mantelpiece and I am getting phone calls too)

O a very happy Mom

Old 12-05-2019, 12:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 5/12/2019 5:04 AM, Gary wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

==

Thanks, Terry. I am still on the old Windows 7.

I bought a Win 10 machine and hated it. I gave it to D. and I went back
to this one

Old 12-05-2019, 01:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 4:09:18 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
The listing has changed on my opening menu.

Instead of things coming under a header, the are all listed in one err list.

Any help to put it right would be very welcome.

sorry I don't know how else to explain it

Crappy web-based "software" always changes on us as he developers see fit! Gmail did that to me recently! Several times!

Complain to the BILLION DOLLAR CRAPPY SOFTWARE PURVEYORS!! Like Youtube! Which RECENTLY started popping up a "Are You Still Watching?" INTERRUPTOR every 1-2 hours or so, whenever IT wants to! Before that I used to be able to stream CONSTANT meditative MUSIC! But NOW my meditative music STOPS every 1-2 hours to ask me to PUSH A BUTTON to let it go on!!

Funny thing is, I have a Toughbook running WinXP Pro and youtube EVIDENTLY thinks WinXP Pro has gone away, as my WinXP Pro Toughbook does NOT stop while playing Youtubes!! But on my MacinTrash Youtube INTERRUPTS Youtubes!

John Kuthe...
Old 12-05-2019, 01:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2019 5:04 AM, Gary wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

Terry, it has been off all night. I did reboot it just now though and
left it off for a wee while. No change.

I have another problem now though The windows live mail icon
disappeared from my desktop. I managed to find the prog but the icon won't

Next time I couldn't get on at all. D. managed to find the prog and I am
on now, but I can't save it. It seems they are trying to get me to download
Win10.

Oh dear. Sorry to be a nuisance. I guess I will post when and if I can.

Thanks very much for yours and Gary's responses though.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2019 7:09 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 4:09:18 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
The listing has changed on my opening menu.

Instead of things coming under a header, the are all listed in one err list.

Any help to put it right would be very welcome.

sorry I don't know how else to explain it

*snipped the rant

Funny thing is, I have a Toughbook running WinXP Pro and youtube EVIDENTLY thinks WinXP Pro has gone away, as my WinXP Pro Toughbook does NOT stop while playing Youtubes!! But on my MacinTrash Youtube INTERRUPTS Youtubes!

John Kuthe...

* Interesting , apparently that doesn't hold true with XP Home . One
laptop that runs that does the "are you still there" bull , don't know
about my desktop . It runs XP Pro/64 bit and I don't usually listen to
Youtube music on it since there are 2 other desktops in the house with
much better sound systems and newer OS's . They both do the "are you ..." .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 12-05-2019, 01:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2019 5:04 AM, Gary wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

won't go back on.

* Next time I couldn't get on at all. D. managed to find the prog and I
am on now, but I can't save it.* It seems they are trying to get me to
download Win10.

* Oh dear. Sorry to be a nuisance.* I guess I will post when and if I can.

* Thanks very much for yours and Gary's responses though.

Download and Install Never10 - it blocks Windows constant attempts to
upgrade Win10. Also turn off Windows Automatic Updates.

Jill

Old 12-05-2019, 01:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia, it sounds like you might have picked up some malware somewhere. My laptop was doing
similar things...programs not opening, icons disappearing, etc....so I signed on by phone with a
program that sweeps my laptop constantly to find ciruses and get rid of them. I can't recall the
name of it at the moment...yes, it cost me about $100...but I bought a lifetime service from them
(any computer I own, it is transferable), for $350.

Initially they logged on to my computer, with my permission, and proceeded to wipe out the malware
(meanwhile showing me exactly where the damaging files were and how many there were...a LOT!).

I don't know how I picked the malware up, but I have not had a single problem and the speed has increased
noticeably. The security program starts checking as soon as I log on and then pops up a box telling me
everything is clear. I use a 3-year old HP laptop.

This kind of service probably wouldn't be needed by users more familiar with computer operating systems,
but I am technologically challenged beyond the basics, so it has made my life much easier.

Do you have a good security program? My original one had expired, and I was unaware of it.

N.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2019 5:04 AM, Gary wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

* You might have to do a "restore" on it . It resets everything back to
an earlier date , you have some selection of the date . The problem is
if as suggested by others you have a virus , they usually like to hide
in the restore files so ... In a case like that , I have the means to
pull that hard drive and scan it with another computer . You may not
have that option ... There should be an option in the boot menu to
restore , if that works and you can , download a copy of Malware Bytes ,
and run it , followed by a scan with your antivirus program . If you're
using Avast A/V , they have an option to do a pre-boot scan , which can
often catch and clean stuff that can't be accessed while the OS is
running .
* Oh , and also as suggested , turn off automatic updates . Those
ba%*^$ds at M$ are and will try to force us all onto Win10 . Their new
business model is apparently to make us "rent" software that used to be
"purchased" thus insuring a revenue stream . spit

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 12-05-2019, 02:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 May 2019 06:04:18 -0400, Gary wrote:

Ophelia wrote:

The listing has changed on my opening menu.
Instead of things coming under a header, they are all listed in one err list.
Any help to put it right would be very welcome.
sorry I don't know how else to explain it

Not quite sure what you are talking about but:

Many people just leave computers on all the time. Even still one
would benefit from a reboot occasionally. If your's is acting
odd, first line of defense is a reboot.

You want to do a cold start, meaning completely shut down your
computer to OFF, not just "sleep" or whatever. Let sit a minute
or two so the HD will completely stop spinning, then turn it on
again and wait while it boots up.

That's the "first line of defense" and will often solve those odd
problems.

Try it and good luck. Let us know.
Ps- Good morning and Happy Mom's Day too. :-D

That is if she is talking about a computer, It could be her TV for all
we know it could be some new high tech sex toy

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Old 12-05-2019, 02:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Very many thanks for all this, Terry!!! D. understood all that and he
will do as you suggest!

I already run Malwarebytes and we do have another computer to work
with.

This is just great and I am sending it to D!!!

Old 12-05-2019, 02:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message

[...]

====

Thank you very much, Nancy. I do run Malwarebytes as you will see in my
response to Terry, D. will be able to work with it

Thanks again)

Old 12-05-2019, 02:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2019 5:04 AM, Gary wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much, Jill. We will look at that!