Old 15-04-2019, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Columnist Amy Alkon on "cultural appropriation" and shaming innocent restaurateurs

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 10:43:27 +1000, Bruce
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 07:15:23 +0700, Je▀us wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 10:13:14 +1000, Bruce
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 06:46:00 +0700, Je▀us wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 09:34:54 +1000, Bruce
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 06:21:34 +0700, Je▀us wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 11:17:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs are some sort of cultural criminals if they don't do some deep study of the culture and get the food 'right.'"

"Is anybody picketing Taco Bell - or do they only care about a couple daring to try to earn $ w/a new eatery in Manhattan?"

More PC/postmodernist insanity. Now it's 'cultural appropriation' and
not 'multiculturalism'.

Little wonder the West is being eaten alive by the East, both
economically and socially.

The East has far bigger problems than the West. They can't even spell
"human rights" yet.

You glossed over my point, which is factual.

The US, with 327 million people, has a GDP of US$20,494,050
China, with 1404 million people, has a GDP of 13,407,398
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

They still have alot of catching up to do.

'They' ahem are catching up - rapidly - and will eclipse the West

ahem

,particularly when you factor in the decline of the West. It's
inevitable. That was my point. There will be more massive financial
crashes in the East

ahem

, but it won't make any real difference in the long
term.

Just because the East is developing in the western meaning of the
word, doesn't mean the West is declining.

The West has been in constant decline since the end of the Cold War.
That is a fact.

You didn't take long to develop the pro Asia bias that dsi1 developed
over a lifetime

It's not a bias, it's an observation based on historical, current and
projected statistics. Also coming from having two different
perspectives available to me that you simply cannot get from the media
or Internet alone. I also still live in Australia part time.

Old 15-04-2019, 01:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 06:21:34 +0700, Je├čus wrote:

[...]

I have no biases. Biases just cloud one's vision. I've been warning this group that we should not underestimate China for about a decade. There hasn't been much movement on that front - yoose guys still don't see what's going on right before your stinkin' eyes. Your biases have blinded you. That's the breaks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....k/8xd5RQb9KQMJ
Old 15-04-2019, 02:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 17:58:21 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 2:43:34 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
You didn't take long to develop the pro Asia bias that dsi1 developed
over a lifetime

I have no biases.

LOL, I think many here would take issue with that claim.

Biases just cloud one's vision. I've been warning this group that we should not underestimate China for about a decade.

It's not just China anymore.

There hasn't been much movement on that front - yoose guys still don't see what's going on right before your stinkin' eyes.
Your biases have blinded you. That's the breaks.

On this, you are generally and sadly correct. Most Westerners don't
understand what's really happening, nor understand how long term and
forward-thinking the East is (which is the exact opposite of what we
do in the West). They have us figured out and playing us for saps,
always three steps ahead.
Old 15-04-2019, 02:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Just because the East is developing in the western meaning of the
word, doesn't mean the West is declining.

The West has been in constant decline since the end of the Cold War.
That is a fact.

An opinion.

You didn't take long to develop the pro Asia bias that dsi1 developed
over a lifetime

It's not a bias, it's an observation based on historical, current and
projected statistics. Also coming from having two different
perspectives available to me that you simply cannot get from the media
or Internet alone. I also still live in Australia part time.

There's a lot of your personal pessimistic attitude in your opinions.
Your opinions aren't facts, they're opinions.
Old 15-04-2019, 02:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 2:43:34 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

You didn't take long to develop the pro Asia bias that dsi1 developed
over a lifetime

I have no biases. Biases just cloud one's vision. I've been warning this group that we should not underestimate China for about a decade. There hasn't been much movement on that front - yoose guys still don't see what's going on right before your stinkin' eyes. Your biases have blinded you. That's the breaks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....k/8xd5RQb9KQMJ

Everybody always knew that China was a sleeping giant. And now they're
waking up. Everybody has known that for ages. Maybe for half a
century. Just look at the size of their population and you know all
you need to know.

In spite of all the criticism of the US, I'd rather see the US as the
world's largest superpower than China. China has no moral standards
whatsoever.

Old 15-04-2019, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Even the "first" Native Americans in North America came from somewhere else.

N.
Old 15-04-2019, 08:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Yoose guys think the Chinese are just some funny looking primitive little yellow guys with funny names and no moral standards so you got no call to call anybody biased.

OTOH, the Chinese might be culturally superior to the rest of the world. The do have the world's longest continuously running culture and they are the birthplace of all the cultures/peoples of Asia. The Polynesian peoples, including the Hawaiians, were all spawned from China. Yoose considers the pakes to be inferior because they've been lagging a little in their technology but that's about to change real soon. The reality is that for most of their civilization, they've been ahead of the West in culture and technology. There's no need for you to feel so smug.

Old 15-04-2019, 08:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I'm talking about human rights, international law, the death penalty,
treatment of minorities etc etc. The Chinese are in the dark ages.
Old 15-04-2019, 08:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Yoose got a lot of nerve calling me biased. Try looking in a mirror.
Old 15-04-2019, 08:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

What did I say that isn't true?

Old 15-04-2019, 09:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

It ain't biased if you believe it to be true? I go along with that. I ain't biased either.
Old 15-04-2019, 10:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

You're playing word games. I asked a serious question. What did I say
that isn't true? According to you.
Old 15-04-2019, 11:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 6:32:43 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

I was told a couple of years ago by another white woman on a Facebook group
that I should stay out of the Indian Supermarket because I am not Indian.
Apparently it's okay for her to go there because her husband is Indian.

I'm pretty sure if you asked the proprietor of the Indian supermarket,
he'd say your dollars are as welcome as anybody else's.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 15-04-2019, 11:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I never said it was or wasn't true. What I said was that you were biased.
Old 15-04-2019, 12:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

So all I said was true. Thanks for confirming.