Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sunday Breakfast

Bacon, one beautifully cooked egg sunny side up, oatmeal pancakes with
maple syrup. I had to eat the egg first so I did not contaminate the
maple syrup with egg yolk. I like them both but not together.

Oatmeal pancakes are the same basic pancake recipe except that I put a
about 1/2 cup of large flake rolled oats in with the milk to soak for
about 20 minutes and cut back about 1/4 cup on the flour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Bacon, one beautifully cooked egg sunny side up, oatmeal pancakes with
> maple syrup. I had to eat the egg first so I did not contaminate the
> maple syrup with egg yolk. I like them both but not together.
>
> Oatmeal pancakes are the same basic pancake recipe except that I put a
> about 1/2 cup of large flake rolled oats in with the milk to soak for
> about 20 minutes and cut back about 1/4 cup on the flour.

I had a slice of Costco cheese pizza and a Kirkland drinking water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Bacon, one beautifully cooked egg sunny side up, oatmeal pancakes with
> maple syrup. I had to eat the egg first so I did not contaminate the
> maple syrup with egg yolk. I like them both but not together.
>
> Oatmeal pancakes are the same basic pancake recipe except that I put a
> about 1/2 cup of large flake rolled oats in with the milk to soak for
> about 20 minutes and cut back about 1/4 cup on the flour.

I haven't made pancakes in years but I do absolutely love them.
So easy to make from scratch too.

OK...darnit...as soon as I send this message, I'm going to make a
double batch.
I do love the things. I make them extra thin (extra milk). I also
have real maple syrup and also a generic version of "Log Cabin"
syrup. I love them both. Today I will have the "log cabin" fake
syrup version.

Bruce....ingredient list if you have no significant time in your
day. heheh

And to these pancakes, I'll add some sausage and a couple of
eggs. Toast too. YUM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-11 11:39 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Bacon, one beautifully cooked egg sunny side up, oatmeal pancakes with
>> maple syrup. I had to eat the egg first so I did not contaminate the
>> maple syrup with egg yolk. I like them both but not together.
>>
>> Oatmeal pancakes are the same basic pancake recipe except that I put a
>> about 1/2 cup of large flake rolled oats in with the milk to soak for
>> about 20 minutes and cut back about 1/4 cup on the flour.

> I haven't made pancakes in years but I do absolutely love them.
> So easy to make from scratch too.

Yes, they certainly are easy to make. One of my pet peeves is people
being unable to make pancakes unless they have a mix on hand. Flour,
salt, baking powder, sugar, egg, milk and a bit of oil or melted butter.
They are all kitchen staples. I get that they might be handy on camping
trips.

> OK...darnit...as soon as I send this message, I'm going to make a
> double batch.
> I do love the things. I make them extra thin (extra milk). I also
> have real maple syrup and also a generic version of "Log Cabin"
> syrup. I love them both. Today I will have the "log cabin" fake
> syrup version.

I used to be quite happy with Old Time, but my wife is a purist when it
comes to maple syrup and she insists on the real deal. Lucky for us
there are a couple maple farms nearby.

> Bruce....ingredient list if you have no significant time in your
> day. heheh
>
> And to these pancakes, I'll add some sausage and a couple of
> eggs. Toast too. YUM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 10:39:18 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Bacon, one beautifully cooked egg sunny side up, oatmeal pancakes with
>> maple syrup. I had to eat the egg first so I did not contaminate the
>> maple syrup with egg yolk. I like them both but not together.
>>
>> Oatmeal pancakes are the same basic pancake recipe except that I put a
>> about 1/2 cup of large flake rolled oats in with the milk to soak for
>> about 20 minutes and cut back about 1/4 cup on the flour.

>I haven't made pancakes in years but I do absolutely love them.
>So easy to make from scratch too.
>
>OK...darnit...as soon as I send this message, I'm going to make a
>double batch.

How do you know when you've made a double batch? Maybe it's just one
big batch. Or three batches.

>I do love the things. I make them extra thin (extra milk). I also
>have real maple syrup and also a generic version of "Log Cabin"
>syrup. I love them both. Today I will have the "log cabin" fake
>syrup version.
>
>Bruce....ingredient list if you have no significant time in your
>day. heheh

Log Cabin Syrup:
"Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Sugar Syrup, Pure Maple
Syrup, Salt, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Caramel Color,
Sodium Benzoate And Sorbic Acid (Preservatives), Invert Sugar, Natural
And Artificial Flavor."

So they make the stuff, find that it tastes like crap and start adding
"Natural And Artificial Flavor", just the way Gary likes it. They know
their Gary's.

>And to these pancakes, I'll add some sausage and a couple of
>eggs. Toast too. YUM

Can't have enough carbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 12:28:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-03-11 11:39 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Bacon, one beautifully cooked egg sunny side up, oatmeal pancakes with
>>> maple syrup. I had to eat the egg first so I did not contaminate the
>>> maple syrup with egg yolk. I like them both but not together.
>>>
>>> Oatmeal pancakes are the same basic pancake recipe except that I put a
>>> about 1/2 cup of large flake rolled oats in with the milk to soak for
>>> about 20 minutes and cut back about 1/4 cup on the flour.

>> I haven't made pancakes in years but I do absolutely love them.
>> So easy to make from scratch too.

>Yes, they certainly are easy to make. One of my pet peeves is people
>being unable to make pancakes unless they have a mix on hand.

Bitching 001: How to turn a seemingly innocent topic like "pancakes"
into a bitchfest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2019 1:19 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 12:28:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> I haven't made pancakes in years but I do absolutely love them.
>>> So easy to make from scratch too.

>> Yes, they certainly are easy to make. One of my pet peeves is people
>> being unable to make pancakes unless they have a mix on hand.

> Bitching 001: How to turn a seemingly innocent topic like "pancakes"
> into a bitchfest.

Even better, buy the frozen one and no ingredients needed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Yes, they certainly are easy to make. One of my pet peeves is people
> being unable to make pancakes unless they have a mix on hand.

In the past, right here in this group, many talked about using
"Bisquick" for cooking. I laughed at that one too. I've never
bought either Bisquick or any pancake mix.

> Flour,
> salt, baking powder, sugar, egg, milk and a bit of oil or melted butter.
> They are all kitchen staples. I get that they might be handy on camping
> trips.

Funny (just to me). Of that list, only salt would be on the
list for my camping supplies. I do prefer wilderness camping
way off the grid. I get to see many wonders that others
don't. You only camp with what you can carry in a backpack.

I went "camping" for a few days back in the 1970's with
my girlfriend and her family. "Lake Gaston, VA"
Oh man was I shocked. We "camped" in a parking lot deal.
They had a small RV type of vehicle full of coolers and
lawn chairs and even a tv. The camping place even had a
sand beach on the lake with a clubhouse too.
"Come play Bingo tonight at the clubhouse, 8pm"

"Camping" I thought? WTH?

(about syrup)
> I used to be quite happy with Old Time, but my wife is a purist when it
> comes to maple syrup and she insists on the real deal. Lucky for us
> there are a couple maple farms nearby.

I keep and like both. I have some real from Nadine's in
Connecticut. Ed's been there. But I grew up with the fake stuff
so it's only natural that I still like that too. I remember for a
while when I was young, I preferred "King's Syrup." It's still a
fake syrup but very thick. I think they still make it. (?)

Anyway, by time I was able to cook yesterday, I was over the
pancake idea so I never made them.
I ended up eating potato, broccoli and apple sauce. oh well.