Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Instant Pot meals and other things we're feeding our dogs in 2019

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifes...ogs-ncna976956

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 12:08:18 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifes...ogs-ncna976956

No dog here, but I wouldn't cook for one if I had one. There is a cat here
and I wouldn't cook for her either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 12:08:18 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifes...ogs-ncna976956
>>

> No dog here, but I wouldn't cook for one if I had one. There is a cat
> here
> and I wouldn't cook for her either.

Mean!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 3:53:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 12:08:18 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifes...ogs-ncna976956
> >

> No dog here, but I wouldn't cook for one if I had one. There is a cat here
> and I wouldn't cook for her either.

Agreed. Every pet I ever had got commercial food. That was before people
started treating them as if they were their babies.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 02:50:59 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 3:53:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 12:08:18 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> >
>> > https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifes...ogs-ncna976956
>> >

>> No dog here, but I wouldn't cook for one if I had one. There is a cat here
>> and I wouldn't cook for her either.

>Agreed. Every pet I ever had got commercial food. That was before people
>started treating them as if they were their babies.

You had pets? And you cared for them? I didn't think you had it in you
to care about animals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 5:41:19 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 12:08:18 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >>
> >> https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifes...ogs-ncna976956
> >>

> > No dog here, but I wouldn't cook for one if I had one. There is a cat
> > here
> > and I wouldn't cook for her either.

> Mean!

There are plenty of commercial pet foods to take care of any digestion problems
or picky eating an animal might have. When that animal starts paying utility
bills, car payments, car insurance, and property taxes then I'll consider
cooking for them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:59:03 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 5:41:19 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> > No dog here, but I wouldn't cook for one if I had one. There is a cat
>> > here
>> > and I wouldn't cook for her either.

>> Mean!
>>

>There are plenty of commercial pet foods to take care of any digestion problems
>or picky eating an animal might have. When that animal starts paying utility
>bills, car payments, car insurance, and property taxes then I'll consider
>cooking for them.

I don't cook specifically for the cats but they are always welcome to
share in whatever I cook so long as it's appropriate for them... and
occasionally for medical reasons I will prepare special foods for
them. I don't see any problem, if I cook pork chops and a couple of
cats want some they are welcome to a share... only two cats like
people food anyway... it's mostly rotisserie chicken that they can't
resist but that's only maybe twice a year. Money doesn't enter into
it, besides cat food costs more than rotisserie chicken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 5:41:19 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> > No dog here, but I wouldn't cook for one if I had one. There is a cat
>> > here
>> > and I wouldn't cook for her either.

>> Mean!
>>

> There are plenty of commercial pet foods to take care of any digestion
> problems
> or picky eating an animal might have. When that animal starts paying
> utility
> bills, car payments, car insurance, and property taxes then I'll consider
> cooking for them.

It's actually cheaper to cook for them. My little dog Misty developed a
liver problem. She refused to eat dog food so the vet told me to feed her
whatever she wanted. The vet also assumed she would probably die in a few
weeks.

I got a book with dog food/treat recipes and began cooking backing for her
but her favorite meal was simply some scrambled eggs or cheese or finely
minced steak mixed with brown rice.

She lived to be 17. We would up having to put her down as she was in too
much pain. Almost totally blind and deaf by then with severe arthritis and
epilepsy that she developed as a puppy. She ate some Corry's slug bait, got
poisoned and it caused scar tissue on her brain.

I used to cook for Maui too. As she got older, she had a tough time
adjusting after we'd move to another state. The water was different and
sometimes the food wasn't the same as what I had bought before. Same brand
but perhaps different flavor. I would give her boiled chicken and rice,
mashed potatoes and bottled water for a couple of weeks, slowly adding in
tap water and cat food in small amounts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 5:57:04 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> It's actually cheaper to cook for them. My little dog Misty developed a
> liver problem. She refused to eat dog food so the vet told me to feed her
> whatever she wanted. The vet also assumed she would probably die in a few
> weeks.
>
> I got a book with dog food/treat recipes and began cooking backing for her
> but her favorite meal was simply some scrambled eggs or cheese or finely
> minced steak mixed with brown rice.
>
> She lived to be 17. We would up having to put her down as she was in too
> much pain. Almost totally blind and deaf by then with severe arthritis and
> epilepsy that she developed as a puppy. She ate some Corry's slug bait, got
> poisoned and it caused scar tissue on her brain.
>
> I used to cook for Maui too. As she got older, she had a tough time
> adjusting after we'd move to another state. The water was different and
> sometimes the food wasn't the same as what I had bought before. Same brand
> but perhaps different flavor. I would give her boiled chicken and rice,
> mashed potatoes and bottled water for a couple of weeks, slowly adding in
> tap water and cat food in small amounts.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-04 11:24 p.m., wrote:
> On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 7:25:08 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

ooking for them.

>> My dog has a sensitive tummy and skin problems that are typical of his
>> breed. I buy a special dog food to deal with that. I feed it to the
>> other dog too because if I give them different foods they will just eat
>> out of each other's bowls. A friend from the dog park spends a lot of
>> money on a raw diet. One of her dogs is chronically constipated and the
>> other is the exact opposite.
>>

> I adopted my sister-in-law's cat a few years ago. She had a sensitive stomach
> and I got tired of cleaning up puke. I went to Petco and looked at all the
> different dry cat foods which were priced from $ to $$$$. I bought her the
> smallest bag of Royal Canin chicken or it might have been chicken and rice. No
> throwing up, so after that all she got was whatever brands produced chicken or
> chicken and rice marketed for sensitive stomachs.

My dogs get a salmon based food. It must be pretty good because they are
two dogs at the dog park who seem to like to recycle it. One Lab gets
excited as soon as we show up and she follows Sonny around and starts
liking his ass as soon as he lifted his tail. Then one German Shepherd
developed a taste for second hand salmon dog food. They don't get as
excited about the crap from the other dogs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

I used to cook for Maui too. As she got older, she had a tough time
adjusting after we'd move to another state. The water was different and
sometimes the food wasn't the same as what I had bought before. Same brand
but perhaps different flavor. I would give her boiled chicken and rice,
mashed potatoes and bottled water for a couple of weeks, slowly adding in
tap water and cat food in small amounts.

===

I have cooked for my dogs from time to time too when they needed it. It is
what a loving owner would do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 23:41:19 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2019-03-04 11:24 p.m., wrote:
> >>>
> >> I adopted my sister-in-law's cat a few years ago. She had a sensitive
> >> stomach
> >> and I got tired of cleaning up puke. I went to Petco and looked at all
> >> the
> >> different dry cat foods which were priced from $ to $$$$. I bought her
> >> the
> >> smallest bag of Royal Canin chicken or it might have been chicken and
> >> rice. No
> >> throwing up, so after that all she got was whatever brands produced
> >> chicken or
> >> chicken and rice marketed for sensitive stomachs.
> >>

> >My dogs get a salmon based food. It must be pretty good because they are
> >two dogs at the dog park who seem to like to recycle it. One Lab gets
> >excited as soon as we show up and she follows Sonny around and starts
> >liking his ass as soon as he lifted his tail. Then one German Shepherd
> >developed a taste for second hand salmon dog food. They don't get as
> >excited about the crap from the other dogs.

> Dave, just because these stories turn you on, doesn't mean other
> people appreciate them.

*That* story was a bit much to read at 4:30 in the morning. ;o
==

OMG and he has the gall to call me names!!!!

He is disgusting! Please can someone remind him this is a cooking FOOD
group??????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> He is disgusting! Please can someone remind him this is a cooking FOOD
> group??????

Hi Dave. Please remember that this is a cooking FOOD group.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:
> He is disgusting! Please can someone remind him this is a cooking FOOD
> group??????

Hi Dave. Please remember that this is a cooking FOOD group.

==

lol I doubt it would filter into his dim brain but it could be a start)

Thank you Gary ;p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote :
> Do you mean you still haven't learned how to move on to the next
> poster?

Not when they are as fun to smack
around as you are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Mar 2019 10:32:38 -0500, Bruce >
wrote:

Sheldon wrote :
>> Do you mean you still haven't learned how to move on to the next
>> poster?
>>

>Not when they are as fun to smack
>around as you are.

Lol, I didn't write that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2019 1:08 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifes...ogs-ncna976956

I rather dislike the statement by David Lummus: "Markets caught on they
could make a whole lot more money sanctioning the behavior that 15 years
ago would have been attributed to the crazy cat person". I'm sure lots
of people have always made food for their pets.

"Lummis points to 9/11 as a watershed moment." What the heck does 9/11
have to do with it?! He says, "People began feeling like pets €œare our
children; for a lot of people, they just are."

I don't know about other pet owners but I've always felt like my pets
are a member of the family. They need as much care as children.
Perhaps moreso because most children eventually learn to talk and can
start telling you what you're doing wrong. LOL With pets, we can only
guess.

If you want to cook for your dog or cat, go for it. Ditto if you want
to order expensive delivered "fresh" meals for your pet.

The article references those human boxed dinner kits from 'Hello Fresh'
or 'Blue Apron. I'm guessing those are the people who will be buying
this type of fresh petfood delivery kits.

I saw mention of the Instant Pot but only in reference to buying this
and *using* the Instant Pot to cook their delivered pet food kit. Not
for me, thanks.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2019 6:41 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 12:08:18 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifes...ogs-ncna976956
>>>

>> No dog here, but I wouldn't cook for one if I had one.Â* There is a cat
>> here
>> and I wouldn't cook for her either.

> Mean!

Not mean. Unnecessary.

Besides, the article was about fresh pet food delivery box kits (like
'Blue Apron' and 'Hello Fresh for *humans*). I wouldn't subscribe to
one of those, either.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/7/2019 5:07 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> > > My dog has a sensitive tummy and skin problems that are typical of
> > > his breed. I buy a special dog food to deal with that. I feed it
> > > to the other dog too because if I give them different foods they
> > > will just eat out of each other's bowls. A friend from the dog
> > > park spends a lot of money on a raw diet. One of her dogs is
> > > chronically constipated and the other is the exact opposite.

> > Hi Dave, tell your friend to add 2-3TB a day of canned organic
> > pumpkin (not the prespiced type for pies). Libbys is a common
> > brand here. Believe it or not, for both dogs.
> >

> Here we go again with the canned pumpkin. Whatcha do when they
> refuse to eat it? My dog refused to eat canned pumpkin and so did my
> last cat. Might be good for them but you can't force them to eat it.
>
> Jill

Can't fix wont eat. For those that will (all dogs I have had), it
works well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/7/2019 5:07 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> > > My dog has a sensitive tummy and skin problems that are typical of
> > > his breed. I buy a special dog food to deal with that. I feed it
> > > to the other dog too because if I give them different foods they
> > > will just eat out of each other's bowls. A friend from the dog
> > > park spends a lot of money on a raw diet. One of her dogs is
> > > chronically constipated and the other is the exact opposite.

> > Hi Dave, tell your friend to add 2-3TB a day of canned organic
> > pumpkin (not the prespiced type for pies). Libbys is a common
> > brand here. Believe it or not, for both dogs.
> >

> Here we go again with the canned pumpkin. Whatcha do when they
> refuse to eat it? My dog refused to eat canned pumpkin and so did my
> last cat. Might be good for them but you can't force them to eat it.
>
> Jill

Can't fix wont eat. For those that will (all dogs I have had), it
works well.

==

Yes, we were advised to give our dogs canned pumpkin and we keep some cans
in too!

It has always worked well for ours. It is good advice. OK so not all will
eat it, but many do, and it is well worth trying!

Good advice!