Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what is hirschhornsalz?

On Saturday, December 15, 2001 at 8:52:55 PM UTC-5, Quasinerd wrote:
> I have a recipe for Nurnberger Pfefferkuchen, but it
> requires three ingredients I don't know what they are or
> what reasonable substitutes might be:
>
> hirschhornsalz
>
> Pfefferkuchengewuerz
>
> oblatten
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Hirschhornsalz is "baker's ammonia" but literally ground up deer antlers, used as a leavening agent for a dough such as Lebkuchen which must rest for several days before baking. No modern baking powder would stand up to that delay. You can find it at specialty stores catering to German or Austrian clientele, such as Cardullo's in Cambridge, MA. They would perhaps also have Pfefferkuchengeweurz, which is gingerbread spice and can range from cinnamon, clove, cardamom, ground star anise, powdered ginger, white pepper, etc. Select the ones you like and read old recipes online to see what you might favor, or just buy the mix.
Oblaten are not necessary and can be substituted by alu foil on your baking pan. They were originally communion wafers and in modern times are laid under the cooky before baking, to make it easy to remove the cooky from the pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Saturday, December 15, 2001 at 8:52:55 PM UTC-5, Quasinerd wrote:
> I have a recipe for Nurnberger Pfefferkuchen, but it
> requires three ingredients I don't know what they are or
> what reasonable substitutes might be:
>
> hirschhornsalz
>
> Pfefferkuchengewuerz
>
> oblatten
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Hirschhornsalz is "baker's ammonia" but literally ground up deer antlers,
used as a leavening agent for a dough such as Lebkuchen which must rest for
several days before baking. No modern baking powder would stand up to that
delay. You can find it at specialty stores catering to German or Austrian
clientele, such as Cardullo's in Cambridge, MA. They would perhaps also
have Pfefferkuchengeweurz, which is gingerbread spice and can range from
cinnamon, clove, cardamom, ground star anise, powdered ginger, white pepper,
etc. Select the ones you like and read old recipes online to see what you
might favor, or just buy the mix.
Oblaten are not necessary and can be substituted by alu foil on your baking
pan. They were originally communion wafers and in modern times are laid
under the cooky before baking, to make it easy to remove the cooky from the
pan.

==

lol