Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sloppy Joes for dinner 12/12/2018

Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!

The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 7:51:02 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>
> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
> top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
>
> Jill

That does sound good and yes, soft white buns are a must.

I'm planning on a smoked beef and pork sausage sliced and browned tomorrow
and then mixed in with hot kraut with caraway seed mixed in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>
> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes practically
> demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I bought some
> potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on top of the
> sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.

I have tried a variety of recipes for those and even stuff like Manwich. We
just don't seem to care for it. I do like loose meat with onions, with or
without cheese though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 12-Dec-2018, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>>
>> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
>> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
>> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
>> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
>> top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
>>
>> Jill

> Dinner was at mid-day and something I call "It might be chili". It was a
> little something to use up things that I was ready to be rid of; a half
> pound of lean ground beef, a large can of Brooks Mild Chili Beans, a 15
> ounce can of Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes, onion, a little chopped jalapeno
> and garlic. It might be chili, or not, depending on where you live and
> what
> you think chili is; it is not what I normally would eat if I really wanted
> chili. But, it was good, filling and used up some things that I was tired
> of having around.
>
> Supper was a bowl of oxtail soup; my first ever, to eat and to make. I
> think I should have added a bit of Worchestershire, a little less celery
> and
> a little more carrot. Overall, very tasty.

I made beef stew and gluten free corn muffins. The texture came out a little
lighter than when made with whole wheat pastry flour but still good.

One thing I keep seeing marked down at various grocery stores is called
"chili meat". It appears to be a coarse ground beef with seasonings. I can
see why people might not want to buy it. I prefer to season my own stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2018 7:50 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>
> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type.Â* I
> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> practically demand.Â* Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night.Â* I
> bought some potato chips to go with it.Â* I might even put some chips
> on top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
>
> Jill

Â* We had chicken fajitas with some "spanish" rice and some canned
southwestern style pinto beans . Tasty and filling , except I think I
didn't put quite enough liquid in the rice , some kernels were not fully
cooked .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>
> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips
> on top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
>
> Jill

It's a SPAM and mushroom rice night here with the rest of the SPAM can
opened from earlier in the week. (12oz standard can, we'd have had 6oz
tonight split by the 3 of us but actually we went closer to 1/3 a can
and have about 1-2oz left so closer to 1oz each)

Going with it is not a normal flavor match but it was handy.

3 C chopped head cabbage
1/2 C chopped onion (used a red one for color)
1/3 C 'Shaved carrot' (used a peeler)
2 TB butter
2 TB olive oil
1/4 ts mild curry blend
Sprinkle of Sesame seeds, probably 2 TB
Toss oil, seeds and spices in wok/skillet and blend then add the rest.
- we have about 1C leftovers on this for later lunches

Beanpot soup leftover and frozen earlier in late September- A rather
nice black eye pea type, had been made a little black pepper spicy and
had roughly 2 cups so call it 2/3 cup each

Dessert
3 mangos, simply halved around the stone then cross cut the flesh and
use a spoon to eat off the peel. (one each).

To *us* the main meal was the veggie mix but I know I am unusual there.
I find when planning a menu my first thought is the 'what do I need to
use up' then a full feeling meal for 3.
- the above in a rough of magnitude is about 3.5 cups per person and
starch high but calorie load fits well in a 2,000 a day plan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 3:51:02 PM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>
> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
> top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
>
> Jill

I made tuna coated with panko and furikake.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1M4yKf8hM8Fej1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>
> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips
> on top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
>
> Jill

It's a SPAM and mushroom rice night here with the rest of the SPAM can
opened from earlier in the week. (12oz standard can, we'd have had 6oz
tonight split by the 3 of us but actually we went closer to 1/3 a can
and have about 1-2oz left so closer to 1oz each)

Going with it is not a normal flavor match but it was handy.

3 C chopped head cabbage
1/2 C chopped onion (used a red one for color)
1/3 C 'Shaved carrot' (used a peeler)
2 TB butter
2 TB olive oil
1/4 ts mild curry blend
Sprinkle of Sesame seeds, probably 2 TB
Toss oil, seeds and spices in wok/skillet and blend then add the rest.
- we have about 1C leftovers on this for later lunches

Beanpot soup leftover and frozen earlier in late September- A rather
nice black eye pea type, had been made a little black pepper spicy and
had roughly 2 cups so call it 2/3 cup each

Dessert
3 mangos, simply halved around the stone then cross cut the flesh and
use a spoon to eat off the peel. (one each).

To *us* the main meal was the veggie mix but I know I am unusual there.
I find when planning a menu my first thought is the 'what do I need to
use up' then a full feeling meal for 3.
- the above in a rough of magnitude is about 3.5 cups per person and
starch high but calorie load fits well in a 2,000 a day plan.

===

I think someone here will like that (sans curry blend)

I might add pineapple too

Thanks for the idea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 3:51:02 PM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>
> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
> top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
>
> Jill

I made tuna coated with panko and furikake.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1M4yKf8hM8Fej1

===

That looks very pretty)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
> >
> > The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type.
> > I thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> > practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night.
> > I bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some
> > chips on top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
> >
> > Jill

> It's a SPAM and mushroom rice night here with the rest of the SPAM can
> opened from earlier in the week. (12oz standard can, we'd have had
> 6oz tonight split by the 3 of us but actually we went closer to 1/3 a
> can and have about 1-2oz left so closer to 1oz each)
>
> Going with it is not a normal flavor match but it was handy.
>
> 3 C chopped head cabbage
> 1/2 C chopped onion (used a red one for color)
> 1/3 C 'Shaved carrot' (used a peeler)
> 2 TB butter
> 2 TB olive oil
> 1/4 ts mild curry blend
> Sprinkle of Sesame seeds, probably 2 TB
> Toss oil, seeds and spices in wok/skillet and blend then add the rest.
> - we have about 1C leftovers on this for later lunches
>
> Beanpot soup leftover and frozen earlier in late September- A rather
> nice black eye pea type, had been made a little black pepper spicy and
> had roughly 2 cups so call it 2/3 cup each
>
> Dessert
> 3 mangos, simply halved around the stone then cross cut the flesh and
> use a spoon to eat off the peel. (one each).
>
> To us the main meal was the veggie mix but I know I am unusual there.
> I find when planning a menu my first thought is the 'what do I need to
> use up' then a full feeling meal for 3.
> - the above in a rough of magnitude is about 3.5 cups per person and
> starch high but calorie load fits well in a 2,000 a day plan.
>
> ===
>
> I think someone here will like that (sans curry blend)
>
> I might add pineapple too
>
> Thanks for the idea

Grin, welcome! Pinapple in the spam mix would work if you keep it
small.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 3:51:02 PM UTC-10, Jill McQuown
> wrote:
> > Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
> >
> > The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type.
> > I thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> > practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night.
> > I bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some
> > chips on top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
> >
> > Jill

> I made tuna coated with panko and furikake.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1M4yKf8hM8Fej1

I like! But there is more than Furikake there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
> >
> > The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type.
> > I thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> > practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night.
> > I bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some
> > chips on top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
> >
> > Jill

> It's a SPAM and mushroom rice night here with the rest of the SPAM can
> opened from earlier in the week. (12oz standard can, we'd have had
> 6oz tonight split by the 3 of us but actually we went closer to 1/3 a
> can and have about 1-2oz left so closer to 1oz each)
>
> Going with it is not a normal flavor match but it was handy.
>
> 3 C chopped head cabbage
> 1/2 C chopped onion (used a red one for color)
> 1/3 C 'Shaved carrot' (used a peeler)
> 2 TB butter
> 2 TB olive oil
> 1/4 ts mild curry blend
> Sprinkle of Sesame seeds, probably 2 TB
> Toss oil, seeds and spices in wok/skillet and blend then add the rest.
> - we have about 1C leftovers on this for later lunches
>
> Beanpot soup leftover and frozen earlier in late September- A rather
> nice black eye pea type, had been made a little black pepper spicy and
> had roughly 2 cups so call it 2/3 cup each
>
> Dessert
> 3 mangos, simply halved around the stone then cross cut the flesh and
> use a spoon to eat off the peel. (one each).
>
> To us the main meal was the veggie mix but I know I am unusual there.
> I find when planning a menu my first thought is the 'what do I need to
> use up' then a full feeling meal for 3.
> - the above in a rough of magnitude is about 3.5 cups per person and
> starch high but calorie load fits well in a 2,000 a day plan.
>
> ===
>
> I think someone here will like that (sans curry blend)
>
> I might add pineapple too
>
> Thanks for the idea

Grin, welcome! Pinapple in the spam mix would work if you keep it
small.

==

I found a recipe in that list of Spam recipes that Cheri shared)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I made tuna coated with panko and furikake.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1M4yKf8hM8Fej1

Just guessing but is that also dipped in kimchee?
It's a large bite for one mouthful, imo.
Looks quite tasty regardless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 8:47:27 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I made tuna coated with panko and furikake.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1M4yKf8hM8Fej1

> Just guessing but is that also dipped in kimchee?
> It's a large bite for one mouthful, imo.
> Looks quite tasty regardless.

Not kimchee. Furikake. It comes in a variety of different blends:

<https://www.amazon.com/Rice-Seasoning-Furikake-Variety-Set/dp/B00A6ID6MU>

There probably are more.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
> > >
> >> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type.
> >> I thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
> >> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night.
> >> I bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some
> >> chips on top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
> > >
> >> Jill

> > It's a SPAM and mushroom rice night here with the rest of the SPAM
> > can opened from earlier in the week. (12oz standard can, we'd have
> > had 6oz tonight split by the 3 of us but actually we went closer to
> > 1/3 a can and have about 1-2oz left so closer to 1oz each)
> >
> > Going with it is not a normal flavor match but it was handy.
> >
> > 3 C chopped head cabbage
> > 1/2 C chopped onion (used a red one for color)
> > 1/3 C 'Shaved carrot' (used a peeler)
> > 2 TB butter
> > 2 TB olive oil
> > 1/4 ts mild curry blend
> > Sprinkle of Sesame seeds, probably 2 TB
> > Toss oil, seeds and spices in wok/skillet and blend then add the
> > rest. - we have about 1C leftovers on this for later lunches
> >
> > Beanpot soup leftover and frozen earlier in late September- A rather
> > nice black eye pea type, had been made a little black pepper spicy
> > and had roughly 2 cups so call it 2/3 cup each
> >
> > Dessert
> > 3 mangos, simply halved around the stone then cross cut the flesh
> > and use a spoon to eat off the peel. (one each).
> >
> > To us the main meal was the veggie mix but I know I am unusual
> > there. I find when planning a menu my first thought is the 'what
> > do I need to use up' then a full feeling meal for 3.
> > - the above in a rough of magnitude is about 3.5 cups per person and
> > starch high but calorie load fits well in a 2,000 a day plan.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I think someone here will like that (sans curry blend)
> >
> > I might add pineapple too
> >
> > Thanks for the idea

> Grin, welcome! Pinapple in the spam mix would work if you keep it
> small.
>
> ==
>
> I found a recipe in that list of Spam recipes that Cheri shared)

Yes!

The last of the can of SPAM was minced up and added to scrambled eggs
with a bit of the tender bulb of a leek and some diced brocolli stem
(for minor texture crunch). This was loaded on some of the flatbread
made yesterday. Basically a sort of soft thick taco type of
construction. Nice late breakfast.

That seeges us to today's evening cookery nicely. It's a large 3.5lb
chicken going in the Vertisserie (vertical rotisserie as opposed to
horizontal more common units). We lightly coated the chicken with
sweet paprika and whisky smoked black pepper. Tonight will be the legs,
thighs, and wings. The rest of the meat and all of the bones will be
separated for other meals through the week.

Vertisseries often have (and mine does) a metal crock at the top for
making the sides off the same heat in the unit. That is now filled with
chopped brussells sprouts, cubed king oyster mushroom, a red bell
pepper, minced fresh garlic, and some olive oil. It makes a mix to add
to 'butter fried rice' for dinner.

Some old bread from previous bakings was frozen for stuffing uses so
that is defrosting on the counter. We will cube it up (sorta,
torn/cube) and add spices later. I'll use some of the drippings from
the vertisserie pan for the stuffing.

Asian Eggplant slit longways and waiting in a glass 'brownie' pan,
brushed with olive oil and a liberal addition of shredded cheeses.

So, after the chicken is done, we pull the excess meat and add the
carcass to another we have in the freezer and toss that into the
crockpot to make bone broth with any remaining juices from the bottom
of the vertisserie. Stock setup for the next 2 weeks.

Some of what we will eat this next week will be the flat bread slit
like a pita and fit to a pan and baked like a pot pie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]

pepper, minced fresh garlic, and some olive oil. It makes a mix to add
to 'butter fried rice' for dinner.

Some old bread from previous bakings was frozen for stuffing uses so
that is defrosting on the counter. We will cube it up (sorta,
torn/cube) and add spices later. I'll use some of the drippings from
the vertisserie pan for the stuffing.

Asian Eggplant slit longways and waiting in a glass 'brownie' pan,
brushed with olive oil and a liberal addition of shredded cheeses.

So, after the chicken is done, we pull the excess meat and add the
carcass to another we have in the freezer and toss that into the
crockpot to make bone broth with any remaining juices from the bottom
of the vertisserie. Stock setup for the next 2 weeks.

Some of what we will eat this next week will be the flat bread slit
like a pita and fit to a pan and baked like a pot pie.

=

It's all good)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2018 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>>
>> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type.Â* I
>> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
>> practically demand.Â* Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night.Â* I
>> bought some potato chips to go with it.Â* I might even put some chips
>> on top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.

> I have tried a variety of recipes for those and even stuff like Manwich.
> We just don't seem to care for it. I do like loose meat with onions,
> with or without cheese though.

I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 3:47:27 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I made tuna coated with panko and furikake.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1M4yKf8hM8Fej1

> Just guessing but is that also dipped in kimchee?
> It's a large bite for one mouthful, imo.
> Looks quite tasty regardless.

That's extreme closeup for you. Typically, seared ahi and sashimi are dipped in a sauce of wasabi and shoyu. That's the way it's done here, at least.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...mU8XAil4yKGkxA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 12/13/2018 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>>
>> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
>> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
>> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
>> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips
>> on top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.

> I have tried a variety of recipes for those and even stuff like Manwich.
> We just don't seem to care for it. I do like loose meat with onions,
> with or without cheese though.

I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.

Jill

==

What is 'Manwich'?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 3:47:27 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I made tuna coated with panko and furikake.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1M4yKf8hM8Fej1

> Just guessing but is that also dipped in kimchee?
> It's a large bite for one mouthful, imo.
> Looks quite tasty regardless.

That's extreme closeup for you. Typically, seared ahi and sashimi are dipped
in a sauce of wasabi and shoyu. That's the way it's done here, at least.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...mU8XAil4yKGkxA

==

Ooh that looks lovely! What is it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote:
> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
> ==
>
> What is 'Manwich'?

Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
first place.

Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
company a fortune.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> On 12/13/2018 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>>>
>>> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
>>> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
>>> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
>>> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
>>> top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.

>> I have tried a variety of recipes for those and even stuff like Manwich.
>> We just don't seem to care for it. I do like loose meat with onions, with
>> or without cheese though.

> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> What is 'Manwich'?

A sauce that comes in a can. You have to add cooked ground beef to it to
make Sloppy Joes. It's a waste of money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ophelia" asked:
> > What is 'Manwich'?

> A sauce that comes in a can. You have to add cooked ground beef to it to
> make Sloppy Joes. It's a waste of money.

And just what *isn't* a waste of money to you, Julie?
You won't eat anything 'cept for beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote:
> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
> ==
>
> What is 'Manwich'?

Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
first place.

Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
company a fortune.

==

The sauce ... what is it made from?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> On 12/13/2018 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>>>
>>> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
>>> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
>>> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
>>> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
>>> top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.

>> I have tried a variety of recipes for those and even stuff like Manwich.
>> We just don't seem to care for it. I do like loose meat with onions, with
>> or without cheese though.

> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> What is 'Manwich'?

A sauce that comes in a can. You have to add cooked ground beef to it to
make Sloppy Joes. It's a waste of money.

=

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> On 12/13/2018 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>>>
>>> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
>>> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
>>> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
>>> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
>>> top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.

>> I have tried a variety of recipes for those and even stuff like Manwich.
>> We just don't seem to care for it. I do like loose meat with onions, with
>> or without cheese though.

> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> What is 'Manwich'?

It's Sloppy Joe mixture in a can.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 Gary wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Ophelia" asked:
>> > What is 'Manwich'?

>> A sauce that comes in a can. You have to add cooked ground beef to it to
>> make Sloppy Joes. It's a waste of money.

>And just what *isn't* a waste of money to you, Julie?
>You won't eat anything 'cept for beans.

Beans, Beans, Julie's Magical Fruits...
The More she Eats The More She Toots... hehe

The Devil Made Me. . . I'da thunk a Manwhich is a Faggot Sex Position.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2018 8:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary"Â* wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown"Â* wrote:
>> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
>> did.Â* Cheese?Â* No cheese came into play here.
>> ==
>>
>> What is 'Manwich'?

> Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
> pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
> better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
> 'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
> first place.
>
> Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
> company a fortune.Â*
>
> ==
>
> The sauce ... what is it made from?

Time for Bruce to chime in with an ingredients list! j/k

I'll take it from here. Ingredients in Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce:

tomato puree (water, tomato paste), high fructose corn syrup, distilled
vinegar, corn syrup, less than 2% of: salt, sugar, chili pepper,
dehydrated green and red bell peppers, tomato fiber, guar gum, spices,
xanthan gum, dehydrated garlic, natural flavors, citric acid.

I just saute minced onion and garlic with ground beef, drain off the
fat, add a can of plain tomato sauce, about a tablespoon of
Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce (such as Tabasco).
Simmer until the sauce is reduced but still "sloppy".

No salt, no weird ingredients and *definitely* no sugar. I'm guessing
it's the sweetness from the corn syrup that Gary likes about this canned
sauce. That's probably also why it's a best seller. Not my cuppa tea.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> On 12/13/2018 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>>>
>>> The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
>>> thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
>>> practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
>>> bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
>>> top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.

>> I have tried a variety of recipes for those and even stuff like Manwich.
>> We just don't seem to care for it. I do like loose meat with onions, with
>> or without cheese though.

> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> What is 'Manwich'?

It's Sloppy Joe mixture in a can.

Cheri

==

But I don't know what 'Sloppy Joe mixture' is

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 12/17/2018 8:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
>> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>> ==
>>
>> What is 'Manwich'?

> Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
> pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
> better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
> 'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
> first place.
>
> Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
> company a fortune.
>
> ==
>
> The sauce ... what is it made from?

Time for Bruce to chime in with an ingredients list! j/k

I'll take it from here. Ingredients in Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce:

tomato puree (water, tomato paste), high fructose corn syrup, distilled
vinegar, corn syrup, less than 2% of: salt, sugar, chili pepper,
dehydrated green and red bell peppers, tomato fiber, guar gum, spices,
xanthan gum, dehydrated garlic, natural flavors, citric acid.

I just saute minced onion and garlic with ground beef, drain off the
fat, add a can of plain tomato sauce, about a tablespoon of
Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce (such as Tabasco).
Simmer until the sauce is reduced but still "sloppy".

No salt, no weird ingredients and *definitely* no sugar. I'm guessing
it's the sweetness from the corn syrup that Gary likes about this canned
sauce. That's probably also why it's a best seller. Not my cuppa tea.

Jill

==

Thanks very much! As you will know, I will have to leave out the 'hot
stuff' if I make it. And you say you eat that in a sandwich?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2018 10:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/17/2018 8:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Gary"Â* wrote in message ...
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> "jmcquown"Â* wrote:
>>> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
>>> did.Â* Cheese?Â* No cheese came into play here.
>>> ==
>>>
>>> What is 'Manwich'?

>> Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
>> pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
>> better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
>> 'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
>> first place.
>>
>> Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
>> company a fortune.Â*
>>
>> ==
>>
>> The sauce ... what is it made from?
>>

> Time for Bruce to chime in with an ingredients list! j/k
>
> I'll take it from here.Â* Ingredients in Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce:
>
> tomato puree (water, tomato paste), high fructose corn syrup, distilled
> vinegar, corn syrup, less than 2% of: salt, sugar, chili pepper,
> dehydrated green and red bell peppers, tomato fiber, guar gum, spices,
> xanthan gum, dehydrated garlic, natural flavors, citric acid.
>
> I just saute minced onion and garlic with ground beef, drain off the
> fat, add a can of plain tomato sauce, about a tablespoon of
> Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce (such as Tabasco).
> Simmer until the sauce is reduced but still "sloppy".
>
> No salt, no weird ingredients and *definitely* no sugar.Â* I'm guessing
> it's the sweetness from the corn syrup that Gary likes about this canned
> sauce.Â* That's probably also why it's a best seller.Â* Not my cuppa tea.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Thanks very much!Â*Â* As you will know, I will have to leave out the 'hot
> stuff' if I make it. And you say you eat that in a sandwich?

I know you'll leave out the hot sauce. It's not essential. Yes, it's
served on a soft white "hamburger" bun.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 20:50:56 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Thanks for the thread drift that led me to think about sloppy joes!
>
>The meat mixture is simmering (covered) on the stovetop as I type. I
>thawed a couple of cheap white burger buns, which sloppy joes
>practically demand. Should make for a tasty meal on a cold night. I
>bought some potato chips to go with it. I might even put some chips on
>top of the sandwich as mentioned by Cindy Hamilton.
>
>Jill

Sloppy Joe's is a 'pulling my hair and can't think what to fix for
dinner' thing. We have them a couple of times a year.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 10:11:35 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/17/2018 8:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Gary"* wrote in message ...
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> "jmcquown"* wrote:
>>> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
>>> did.* Cheese?* No cheese came into play here.
>>> ==
>>>
>>> What is 'Manwich'?

>> Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
>> pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
>> better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
>> 'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
>> first place.
>>
>> Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
>> company a fortune.*
>>
>> ==
>>
>> The sauce ... what is it made from?
>>

>Time for Bruce to chime in with an ingredients list! j/k
>
>I'll take it from here. Ingredients in Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce:
>
>tomato puree (water, tomato paste), high fructose corn syrup, distilled
>vinegar, corn syrup, less than 2% of: salt, sugar, chili pepper,
>dehydrated green and red bell peppers, tomato fiber, guar gum, spices,
>xanthan gum, dehydrated garlic, natural flavors, citric acid.
>
>I just saute minced onion and garlic with ground beef, drain off the
>fat, add a can of plain tomato sauce, about a tablespoon of
>Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce (such as Tabasco).
>Simmer until the sauce is reduced but still "sloppy".
>
>No salt, no weird ingredients and *definitely* no sugar. I'm guessing
>it's the sweetness from the corn syrup that Gary likes about this canned
>sauce. That's probably also why it's a best seller. Not my cuppa tea.
>
>Jill

I do onion, bell pepper, ground beef, a can of tomato sauce (or tomato
soup), salt and pepper. Simple, simple and done. ;-)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 12/17/2018 10:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/17/2018 8:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>>> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
>>> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>>> ==
>>>
>>> What is 'Manwich'?

>> Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
>> pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
>> better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
>> 'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
>> first place.
>>
>> Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
>> company a fortune.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> The sauce ... what is it made from?
>>

> Time for Bruce to chime in with an ingredients list! j/k
>
> I'll take it from here. Ingredients in Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce:
>
> tomato puree (water, tomato paste), high fructose corn syrup, distilled
> vinegar, corn syrup, less than 2% of: salt, sugar, chili pepper,
> dehydrated green and red bell peppers, tomato fiber, guar gum, spices,
> xanthan gum, dehydrated garlic, natural flavors, citric acid.
>
> I just saute minced onion and garlic with ground beef, drain off the
> fat, add a can of plain tomato sauce, about a tablespoon of
> Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce (such as Tabasco).
> Simmer until the sauce is reduced but still "sloppy".
>
> No salt, no weird ingredients and *definitely* no sugar. I'm guessing
> it's the sweetness from the corn syrup that Gary likes about this canned
> sauce. That's probably also why it's a best seller. Not my cuppa tea.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Thanks very much! As you will know, I will have to leave out the 'hot
> stuff' if I make it. And you say you eat that in a sandwich?

I know you'll leave out the hot sauce. It's not essential. Yes, it's
served on a soft white "hamburger" bun.

Jill

==

Ok thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 12/17/2018 8:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>>> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
>>> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>>> ==
>>>
>>> What is 'Manwich'?

>> Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
>> pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
>> better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
>> 'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
>> first place.
>>
>> Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
>> company a fortune.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> The sauce ... what is it made from?
>>

>Time for Bruce to chime in with an ingredients list! j/k
>
>I'll take it from here. Ingredients in Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce:
>
>tomato puree (water, tomato paste), high fructose corn syrup, distilled
>vinegar, corn syrup, less than 2% of: salt, sugar, chili pepper,
>dehydrated green and red bell peppers, tomato fiber, guar gum, spices,
>xanthan gum, dehydrated garlic, natural flavors, citric acid.
>
>I just saute minced onion and garlic with ground beef, drain off the
>fat, add a can of plain tomato sauce, about a tablespoon of
>Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce (such as Tabasco).
>Simmer until the sauce is reduced but still "sloppy".
>
>No salt, no weird ingredients and *definitely* no sugar. I'm guessing
>it's the sweetness from the corn syrup that Gary likes about this canned
>sauce. That's probably also why it's a best seller. Not my cuppa tea.
>
>Jill

I do onion, bell pepper, ground beef, a can of tomato sauce (or tomato
soup), salt and pepper. Simple, simple and done. ;-)
Janet US

==

Ahh so you make your own sauce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...

>>> I have tried a variety of recipes for those and even stuff like Manwich.
>>> We just don't seem to care for it. I do like loose meat with onions,
>>> with or without cheese though.

>> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
>> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> What is 'Manwich'?

> It's Sloppy Joe mixture in a can.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> But I don't know what 'Sloppy Joe mixture' is

https://www.hannaford.com/product/Hu...ce/889884.uts#

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...

>>> I have tried a variety of recipes for those and even stuff like Manwich.
>>> We just don't seem to care for it. I do like loose meat with onions,
>>> with or without cheese though.

>> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
>> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> What is 'Manwich'?

> It's Sloppy Joe mixture in a can.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> But I don't know what 'Sloppy Joe mixture' is

https://www.hannaford.com/product/Hu...ce/889884.uts#

==

Oh dear .. but I don't have a Hannaford Account

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:13:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 10:11:35 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 12/17/2018 8:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
>>> pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
>>> better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
>>> 'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
>>> first place.
>>>
>>> Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
>>> company a fortune.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> The sauce ... what is it made from?
>>>

>>Time for Bruce to chime in with an ingredients list! j/k
>>
>>I'll take it from here. Ingredients in Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce:
>>
>>tomato puree (water, tomato paste), high fructose corn syrup, distilled
>>vinegar, corn syrup, less than 2% of: salt, sugar, chili pepper,
>>dehydrated green and red bell peppers, tomato fiber, guar gum, spices,
>>xanthan gum, dehydrated garlic, natural flavors, citric acid.
>>
>>I just saute minced onion and garlic with ground beef, drain off the
>>fat, add a can of plain tomato sauce, about a tablespoon of
>>Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce (such as Tabasco).
>>Simmer until the sauce is reduced but still "sloppy".
>>
>>No salt, no weird ingredients and *definitely* no sugar. I'm guessing
>>it's the sweetness from the corn syrup that Gary likes about this canned
>>sauce. That's probably also why it's a best seller. Not my cuppa tea.
>>
>>Jill

>I do onion, bell pepper, ground beef, a can of tomato sauce (or tomato
>soup), salt and pepper. Simple, simple and done. ;-)
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>Ahh so you make your own sauce?

that's what everyone did before the canned products. I don't keep the
canned product in the house but I do have everything to whip up a
quick meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I didn't use canned 'Manwich' although it doesn't surprise me that you
>>> did. Cheese? No cheese came into play here.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> What is 'Manwich'?

>> It's Sloppy Joe mixture in a can.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> But I don't know what 'Sloppy Joe mixture' is

> https://www.hannaford.com/product/Hu...ce/889884.uts#
>
> ==
>
> Oh dear .. but I don't have a Hannaford Account

Strange, I didn't need an account to see the ingredients, calories etc. but
here they are in the original mixtu

Tomato Puree
Water
Tomato Paste
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Distilled Vinegar
Corn Syrup
Less Than 2% Of:
Salt
Sugar
Carrot Fiber
Dried Green And Red Bell Peppers
Chili Pepper
Guar Gum
Spices
Xanthan Gum
Dried Garlic
Natural Flavors
Citric Acid

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 10:11:35 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 12/17/2018 8:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Hi O. Manwich is a canned 'sloppy joe' mix...just add to one
>>> pound ground beef. Heat and serve on bread. I'll bet it tastes
>>> better than Jill's (or anyone else's) homemade mix. The
>>> 'original' is the best as that's what made them so popular in the
>>> first place.
>>>
>>> Others can criticize all they want but that product has made the
>>> company a fortune.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> The sauce ... what is it made from?
>>>

>>Time for Bruce to chime in with an ingredients list! j/k
>>
>>I'll take it from here. Ingredients in Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce:
>>
>>tomato puree (water, tomato paste), high fructose corn syrup, distilled
>>vinegar, corn syrup, less than 2% of: salt, sugar, chili pepper,
>>dehydrated green and red bell peppers, tomato fiber, guar gum, spices,
>>xanthan gum, dehydrated garlic, natural flavors, citric acid.
>>
>>I just saute minced onion and garlic with ground beef, drain off the
>>fat, add a can of plain tomato sauce, about a tablespoon of
>>Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce (such as Tabasco).
>>Simmer until the sauce is reduced but still "sloppy".
>>
>>No salt, no weird ingredients and *definitely* no sugar. I'm guessing
>>it's the sweetness from the corn syrup that Gary likes about this canned
>>sauce. That's probably also why it's a best seller. Not my cuppa tea.
>>
>>Jill

>I do onion, bell pepper, ground beef, a can of tomato sauce (or tomato
>soup), salt and pepper. Simple, simple and done. ;-)
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>Ahh so you make your own sauce?

that's what everyone did before the canned products. I don't keep the
canned product in the house but I do have everything to whip up a
quick meal.

==

As I suspected Share your recipe please?

Sloppy Joes Curtis[_2_] General Cooking 78 17-04-2009 08:16 AM
Sloppy Joes Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-10-2005 03:33 PM
Dinner - Sloppy Joes jmcquown General Cooking 0 22-09-2005 12:23 AM
Sloppy Joes Joshuall General Cooking 9 15-09-2004 10:16 PM
Sloppy Joes Darkginger General Cooking 189 07-08-2004 08:53 PM