Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Millennials are disrupting Thanksgiving with their tiny turkeys

Coming soon the 6 pound bird

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2018 7:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

What's with this "wasteful leftovers" crap!?

There are NO wasted leftovers on any of my turkeys. Turkey sammies with
a good mayo and Cranberry Jelly are to die for. In fact, many folks
cook a whole "large" turkey jes so they will have plenty of "leftovers".

Millennial's are idiots. I give you the "man bun", as proof.

My late M-I-L taught me how to make turkey soup w/ noodles. That poor
bird didn't come away wasting anything. Rendered it right down to the
bones (which I pick out and toss).

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 9:08:47 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>
> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

That's a little too small for us; we prefer a 14-pounder. We don't let
the leftovers go to waste. My husband can't stand bitter stuff, but he
doesn't taste the off flavors in reheated meat.

My post-Thanksgiving leftovers involve cold turkey sandwiches and salads
with turkey on them. A particular favorite of mine is dressed with balsamic
vinegar, a little bacon fat and olive oil.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 9:58:00 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 11/17/2018 7:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

> What's with this "wasteful leftovers" crap!?
>
> There are NO wasted leftovers on any of my turkeys. Turkey sammies with
> a good mayo and Cranberry Jelly are to die for. In fact, many folks
> cook a whole "large" turkey jes so they will have plenty of "leftovers".
>
> Millennial's are idiots. I give you the "man bun", as proof.

I believe they think it makes them look like samurai. How some pasty,
scrawny post-adolescent can believe that is quite a leap of the
imagination.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

Coming soon the 6 pound bird

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

==

Heh sounds like a chicken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2018 9:59 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 9:08:47 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>>
>> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

> That's a little too small for us; we prefer a 14-pounder. We don't let
> the leftovers go to waste. My husband can't stand bitter stuff, but he
> doesn't taste the off flavors in reheated meat.
>
> My post-Thanksgiving leftovers involve cold turkey sandwiches and salads
> with turkey on them. A particular favorite of mine is dressed with balsamic
> vinegar, a little bacon fat and olive oil.

My favorite on Thanksgiving is the sides, not the turkey. I don't think
I'm alone in that. Leftover turkey sandwiches, that's where it's at for
me.

But this Thanksgiving is a bust, the family's not getting together.
No 6 pound turkey for us, it's going to be a prime rib roast. With
stuffing and pumpkin pie.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-17 9:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>
> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

That sounds like a good idea. You can cook a turkey for a family and not
be stuck eating leftovers for a week. I always ask me wife to order the
smallest turkey they can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 11/17/2018 9:59 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 9:08:47 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>>>
>>> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

>> That's a little too small for us; we prefer a 14-pounder. We don't let
>> the leftovers go to waste. My husband can't stand bitter stuff, but he
>> doesn't taste the off flavors in reheated meat.
>>
>> My post-Thanksgiving leftovers involve cold turkey sandwiches and salads
>> with turkey on them. A particular favorite of mine is dressed with
>> balsamic
>> vinegar, a little bacon fat and olive oil.

> My favorite on Thanksgiving is the sides, not the turkey. I don't think
> I'm alone in that. Leftover turkey sandwiches, that's where it's at for
> me.
>
> But this Thanksgiving is a bust, the family's not getting together.
> No 6 pound turkey for us, it's going to be a prime rib roast. With
> stuffing and pumpkin pie.
>
> nancy

Sounds great Nancy. I like the gravy over buttered bread the next day best.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>

> Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>
> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
>
> ==
>
> Heh sounds like a chicken

If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>

> Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>
> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
>
> ==
>
> Heh sounds like a chicken

If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

Cheri

==

There is that <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2018 9:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>
> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

That's a little too small. 8 to 10 would be good for the two of us.
Some leftovers are good, but don't need 14 pounds of thrm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2018 11:12 AM, Cheri wrote:

> If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

I've considered doing that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Cheri wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> >

> > Coming soon the 6 pound bird
> >
> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Heh sounds like a chicken

> If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

Those things are too scrawny and boney...remember when they used to be a "foofie" menu item...???

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 11/17/2018 11:12 AM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.
>>

> I've considered doing that.

I might do that as well.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>> >

>> > Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>> >
>> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Heh sounds like a chicken

>> If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

> Those things are too scrawny and boney...remember when they used to be a
> "foofie" menu item...???
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

I like them and no, I don't remember that. They have always been popular
where I am.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2018 11:06 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> But this Thanksgiving is a bust, the family's not getting together.
>> No 6 pound turkey for us, it's going to be a prime rib roast.* With
>> stuffing and pumpkin pie.

> Sounds great Nancy. I like the gravy over buttered bread the next day
> best.

Sounds great! And suddenly I'm thinking of popovers ....

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 11/17/2018 11:06 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> But this Thanksgiving is a bust, the family's not getting together.
>>> No 6 pound turkey for us, it's going to be a prime rib roast. With
>>> stuffing and pumpkin pie.

>> Sounds great Nancy. I like the gravy over buttered bread the next day
>> best.

> Sounds great! And suddenly I'm thinking of popovers ....
>
> nancy

Wow, popovers sound great, I haven't made them for a long time. Thanks for
reminding me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 08:06:02 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>>> That's a little too small for us; we prefer a 14-pounder. We don't let
>>> the leftovers go to waste. My husband can't stand bitter stuff, but he
>>> doesn't taste the off flavors in reheated meat.
>>>
>>> My post-Thanksgiving leftovers involve cold turkey sandwiches and salads
>>> with turkey on them. A particular favorite of mine is dressed with
>>> balsamic
>>> vinegar, a little bacon fat and olive oil.

>> My favorite on Thanksgiving is the sides, not the turkey. I don't think
>> I'm alone in that. Leftover turkey sandwiches, that's where it's at for
>> me.
>>
>> But this Thanksgiving is a bust, the family's not getting together.
>> No 6 pound turkey for us, it's going to be a prime rib roast. With
>> stuffing and pumpkin pie.
>>
>> nancy

>Sounds great Nancy. I like the gravy over buttered bread the next day best.
>

>Cheri

I'm not fond of turkey but do love Turkey Pot Pie, best turkey dish
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" wrote in message

Cheri wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> >

> > Coming soon the 6 pound bird
> >
> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Heh sounds like a chicken

> If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

Those things are too scrawny and boney...remember when they used to be a
"foofie" menu item...???

Best
Greg

==

Foofie?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 11/17/2018 11:06 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> But this Thanksgiving is a bust, the family's not getting together.
>>> No 6 pound turkey for us, it's going to be a prime rib roast. With
>>> stuffing and pumpkin pie.

>> Sounds great Nancy. I like the gravy over buttered bread the next day
>> best.

> Sounds great! And suddenly I'm thinking of popovers ....
>
> nancy

Wow, popovers sound great, I haven't made them for a long time. Thanks for
reminding me.

Cheri

==

Are they like our Yorkshire Puds?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 17-Nov-2018, notbob > wrote:

> On 11/17/2018 7:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

> What's with this "wasteful leftovers" crap!?
>
> There are NO wasted leftovers on any of my turkeys. Turkey sammies with
> a good mayo and Cranberry Jelly are to die for. In fact, many folks
> cook a whole "large" turkey jes so they will have plenty of "leftovers".
>
> Millennial's are idiots. I give you the "man bun", as proof.
>
> My late M-I-L taught me how to make turkey soup w/ noodles. That poor
> bird didn't come away wasting anything. Rendered it right down to the
> bones (which I pick out and toss).

I simmer the carcass until it literally falls apart; then pick any remaining
meat off the bones and end up with a nice pile of turkey scraps and a big
batch of gelatinous turkey broth. So, there is turkey noodle soup and
turkey tetrazzini to be made from the carcass and foisted off on my children
on a coupld of our Sunday family meals. Then there are sandwiches of
several varieties to be made from the extra breast meat and turkey ala king
from dark meat. Of course, by December 1st, I never want to hear about, see
or eat turkey again. All those dishes mentioned to use up left overs must
be spread across the coming year; so, into the freezer the turkey remnants
go.

Now, It is about a week before Thanksgiving, and another damn turkey, and I
still have 12 ounces of turkey meat in the freezer from last year (vacuum
sealed, of course).

I am not a fan of turkey, never have been and most likely never will be.
There are so many better meats in this world, even birds that are much
better. Tradition, bah, humbug! A tiny turnkey is a brilliant solution to
a tradition with too much inertia to be stopped. My only objection is, a 6
pound turkey might be a little big for my family - I'm rooting for
individual Cornish Game Turkey's, about 1 pound each.

--

So, what will you have for Christmas?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 19:46:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"GM" wrote in message
>
>Cheri wrote:
>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>> >

>> > Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>> >
>> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Heh sounds like a chicken

>> If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

>Those things are too scrawny and boney...remember when they used to be a
>"foofie" menu item...???
>

>Best
>Greg
>
>==
>
>Foofie?

Sounds like his pet dog.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"GM" wrote in message
>
>Cheri wrote:
>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>> >

>> > Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>> >
>> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Heh sounds like a chicken

>> If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

>Those things are too scrawny and boney...remember when they used to be a
>"foofie" menu item...???
>

>Best
>Greg
>
>==
>
>Foofie?

Sounds like his pet dog.

===

lol it does abut I somehow that it isn't )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 4:08:47 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>
> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

The millennials are going to do things the way they want to. That's the way it always is. I'm glad they're rejecting big-ass turkeys. I should be doing that too.

They're also having less sex. This could be an interesting trend. The Japanese and Chinese seem to be even less interested in intimate contact with other humans. Well, that's refreshing and ominous.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...cession/573949
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 10:24:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > On 11/17/2018 11:06 AM, Cheri wrote:
> >> "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> Sounds great Nancy. I like the gravy over buttered bread the next day
> >> best.

> > Sounds great! And suddenly I'm thinking of popovers ....
> >
> > nancy

> Wow, popovers sound great, I haven't made them for a long time. Thanks for
> reminding me.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Are they like our Yorkshire Puds?

They are sort of the same. They're both baked products that rely on heat reacting with eggs to create a leavening action. The popover dough forms a hollow shell and balloons out of the pan. It's fun to make and looks impressive but mostly it's a lot of hot air. I'll eat one but the experience is mostly hollow and empty. They're easy to make. I've made them but I'm so over popovers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 10:24:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > On 11/17/2018 11:06 AM, Cheri wrote:
> >> "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> Sounds great Nancy. I like the gravy over buttered bread the next day
> >> best.

> > Sounds great! And suddenly I'm thinking of popovers ....
> >
> > nancy

> Wow, popovers sound great, I haven't made them for a long time. Thanks for
> reminding me.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Are they like our Yorkshire Puds?

They are sort of the same. They're both baked products that rely on heat
reacting with eggs to create a leavening action. The popover dough forms a
hollow shell and balloons out of the pan. It's fun to make and looks
impressive but mostly it's a lot of hot air. I'll eat one but the experience
is mostly hollow and empty. They're easy to make. I've made them but I'm so
over popovers.

==

Awwwwwww I am sorry you don't like them! Others seem to love them! Still,
we all go on and off things)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 10:56:26 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 10:24:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cheri" wrote in message news > >

> > > Sounds great! And suddenly I'm thinking of popovers ....
> > >
> > > nancy

> > Wow, popovers sound great, I haven't made them for a long time. Thanks for
> > reminding me.
> >
> > Cheri
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Are they like our Yorkshire Puds?

> They are sort of the same. They're both baked products that rely on heat
> reacting with eggs to create a leavening action. The popover dough forms a
> hollow shell and balloons out of the pan. It's fun to make and looks
> impressive but mostly it's a lot of hot air. I'll eat one but the experience
> is mostly hollow and empty. They're easy to make. I've made them but I'm so
> over popovers.
>
> ==
>
> Awwwwwww I am sorry you don't like them! Others seem to love them! Still,
> we all go on and off things)

Yes, some people love popovers. There was a popover craze in the US about 15 years ago. That's fads for you - sometime they're pretty random. Yer puds are alright but mostly I was delighted to meet a cook that was so very proud of them. It was a highlight of my time in Wales.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ophelia wrote:

> "GM" wrote in message
>
> Cheri wrote:
>
> > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > >

> > > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> > >

> > > Coming soon the 6 pound bird
> > >
> > > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Heh sounds like a chicken

> > If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

> Those things are too scrawny and boney...remember when they used to be a
> "foofie" menu item...???
>

> Best
> Greg
>
> ==
>
> Foofie?

"Fancy"...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-17 1:33 p.m., Pamela wrote:
> On 19:48 17 Nov 2018, "Ophelia" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>

>>> Sounds great! And suddenly I'm thinking of popovers ....
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Wow, popovers sound great, I haven't made them for a long time. Thanks
>> for reminding me.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Are they like our Yorkshire Puds?

> A few months ago the New York Times advised serving sugary syrup with
> Yorkshire pudding. Bless.

Nothing new about that. I had YP with Lyle's Golden Syrup (UK treacle)
as a child.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 10:56:26 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 10:24:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cheri" wrote in message news > >

> > > Sounds great! And suddenly I'm thinking of popovers ....
> > >
> > > nancy

> > Wow, popovers sound great, I haven't made them for a long time. Thanks
> > for
> > reminding me.
> >
> > Cheri
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Are they like our Yorkshire Puds?

> They are sort of the same. They're both baked products that rely on heat
> reacting with eggs to create a leavening action. The popover dough forms a
> hollow shell and balloons out of the pan. It's fun to make and looks
> impressive but mostly it's a lot of hot air. I'll eat one but the
> experience
> is mostly hollow and empty. They're easy to make. I've made them but I'm
> so
> over popovers.
>
> ==
>
> Awwwwwww I am sorry you don't like them! Others seem to love them! Still,
> we all go on and off things)

Yes, some people love popovers. There was a popover craze in the US about 15
years ago. That's fads for you - sometime they're pretty random. Yer puds
are alright but mostly I was delighted to meet a cook that was so very proud
of them. It was a highlight of my time in Wales.

==

heh I haven't had one for a long time. D. doesn't like them much and I
won't make them for myself)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "GM" wrote in message
>
> Cheri wrote:
>
> > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > >

> > > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> > >

> > > Coming soon the 6 pound bird
> > >
> > > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Heh sounds like a chicken

> > If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

> Those things are too scrawny and boney...remember when they used to be a
> "foofie" menu item...???
>

> Best
> Greg
>
> ==
>
> Foofie?

"Fancy"...

Best
Greg

==

Ahh thanks <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 17-Nov-2018, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> On 17-Nov-2018, notbob > wrote:
>
> > On 11/17/2018 7:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

> > What's with this "wasteful leftovers" crap!?
> >
> > There are NO wasted leftovers on any of my turkeys. Turkey sammies with
> > a good mayo and Cranberry Jelly are to die for. In fact, many folks
> > cook a whole "large" turkey jes so they will have plenty of "leftovers".
> >
> > Millennial's are idiots. I give you the "man bun", as proof.
> >
> > My late M-I-L taught me how to make turkey soup w/ noodles. That poor
> > bird didn't come away wasting anything. Rendered it right down to the
> > bones (which I pick out and toss).

> I simmer the carcass until it literally falls apart; then pick any
> remaining
> meat off the bones and end up with a nice pile of turkey scraps and a big
> batch of gelatinous turkey broth. So, there is turkey noodle soup and
> turkey tetrazzini to be made from the carcass and foisted off on my
> children
> on a coupld of our Sunday family meals. Then there are sandwiches of
> several varieties to be made from the extra breast meat and turkey ala
> king
> from dark meat. Of course, by December 1st, I never want to hear about,
> see
> or eat turkey again. All those dishes mentioned to use up left overs must
> be spread across the coming year; so, into the freezer the turkey remnants
> go.
>
> Now, It is about a week before Thanksgiving, and another damn turkey, and
> still have 12 ounces of turkey meat in the freezer from last year (vacuum
> sealed, of course).
>
> I am not a fan of turkey, never have been and most likely never will be.
> There are so many better meats in this world, even birds that are much
> better. Tradition, bah, humbug! A tiny turnkey is a brilliant solution
> a tradition with too much inertia to be stopped. My only objection is, a
> 6
> pound turkey might be a little big for my family - I'm rooting for
> individual Cornish Game Turkey's, about 1 pound each.
>
> --
>

> So, what will you have for Christmas?

Probably a duck or a goose; maybe a nice, fat capon. I'll see which speaks
to me when I go shopping for Christmas meal. 8-) I'd much rather have a
joint of mutton or rack of lamb, but my daughter wouldn't eat it.

===

Hmmm I hope one doesn't speak to you I mean .. what would you say to it>
;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 21:47:46 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"GM" wrote in message
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "GM" wrote in message
>>
>> Cheri wrote:

>> > If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

>> Those things are too scrawny and boney...remember when they used to be a
>> "foofie" menu item...???
>>

>> Best
>> Greg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Foofie?

>"Fancy"...
>

>Best
>Greg
>
>==
>

>Ahh thanks <g>

Phew
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-17 3:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 10:24:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> Wow, popovers sound great, I haven't made them for a long time.
>> Thanks for reminding me.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Are they like our Yorkshire Puds?

> They are sort of the same. They're both baked products that rely on
> heat reacting with eggs to create a leavening action. The popover
> dough forms a hollow shell and balloons out of the pan. It's fun to
> make and looks impressive but mostly it's a lot of hot air. I'll eat
> one but the experience is mostly hollow and empty. They're easy to
> make. I've made them but I'm so over popovers.

They are basically the same recipe, though good Yorkshire pudding should
be cooked in pre-heated hot pan with a generous amount of hot beef fat
in it. Leftover Yorkies could be eaten with butter and jam. Due to the
nature of them they lose a lot of their quality scrumptiousness when
re-heated. Fresh or re-heated, they are a good vehicle for gravy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-17 4:15 PM, l not -l wrote:

>> So, what will you have for Christmas?

> Probably a duck or a goose; maybe a nice, fat capon. I'll see which speaks
> to me when I go shopping for Christmas meal. 8-) I'd much rather have a
> joint of mutton or rack of lamb, but my daughter wouldn't eat it.

It looks like Christmas at our house this year is going to be just us,
our son and his girlfriend. That is not enough people for a turkey and
I am going to be lobbying for prime rib.

The tricky one this year may be Christmas Eve. We traditionally have
tourtiere or a beef and mushroom pie and salad, and he always invite my
nephew and his significant other. He discovered this year that he has a
serious diabetes problem and has to be very careful about the starches
he eats. I would be happy to switch to a more Catholic dinner with
seafood but I am not sure how well that would go over with his SO and
her daughter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 14:40:30 -0400, wrote:

>I'm not fond of turkey but do love Turkey Pot Pie, best turkey dish

I'd rather chicken or duck, not fond of turkey either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"GM" wrote in message
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "GM" wrote in message
>>
>> Cheri wrote:

>> > If they really want to go small, get a Cornish Hen.

>> Those things are too scrawny and boney...remember when they used to be a
>> "foofie" menu item...???
>>

>> Best
>> Greg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Foofie?

>"Fancy"...
>

>Best
>Greg
>
>==
>

>Ahh thanks <g>

Phew

==

Okay, what were you expecting?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 17:55:21 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 17-Nov-2018, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2018 7:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

>> What's with this "wasteful leftovers" crap!?
>>
>> There are NO wasted leftovers on any of my turkeys. Turkey sammies with
>> a good mayo and Cranberry Jelly are to die for. In fact, many folks
>> cook a whole "large" turkey jes so they will have plenty of "leftovers".
>>
>> Millennial's are idiots. I give you the "man bun", as proof.
>>
>> My late M-I-L taught me how to make turkey soup w/ noodles. That poor
>> bird didn't come away wasting anything. Rendered it right down to the
>> bones (which I pick out and toss).

>I simmer the carcass until it literally falls apart; then pick any remaining
>meat off the bones and end up with a nice pile of turkey scraps and a big
>batch of gelatinous turkey broth. So, there is turkey noodle soup and
>turkey tetrazzini to be made from the carcass and foisted off on my children
>on a coupld of our Sunday family meals. Then there are sandwiches of
>several varieties to be made from the extra breast meat and turkey ala king
>from dark meat. Of course, by December 1st, I never want to hear about, see
>or eat turkey again. All those dishes mentioned to use up left overs must
>be spread across the coming year; so, into the freezer the turkey remnants
>go.
>
>Now, It is about a week before Thanksgiving, and another damn turkey, and I
>still have 12 ounces of turkey meat in the freezer from last year (vacuum
>sealed, of course).
>
>I am not a fan of turkey, never have been and most likely never will be.
>There are so many better meats in this world, even birds that are much
>better. Tradition, bah, humbug! A tiny turnkey is a brilliant solution to
>a tradition with too much inertia to be stopped. My only objection is, a 6
>pound turkey might be a little big for my family - I'm rooting for
>individual Cornish Game Turkey's, about 1 pound each.

making additional dishes with turkey just makes more turkey leftovers.
For years I suffered through turkey soup because it was the thing to
do. I don't like the taste of turkey broth/soup. I don't make T soup
anymore. And turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce? Uh, no.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 06:59:22 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 9:08:47 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> Coming soon the 6 pound bird
>>
>> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

>That's a little too small for us; we prefer a 14-pounder. We don't let
>the leftovers go to waste. My husband can't stand bitter stuff, but he
>doesn't taste the off flavors in reheated meat.
>
>My post-Thanksgiving leftovers involve cold turkey sandwiches and salads
>with turkey on them. A particular favorite of mine is dressed with balsamic
>vinegar, a little bacon fat and olive oil.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Explain your salad better or recipe please.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 14:40:30 -0400, wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 08:06:02 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

>>> My favorite on Thanksgiving is the sides, not the turkey. I don't think
>>> I'm alone in that. Leftover turkey sandwiches, that's where it's at for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> But this Thanksgiving is a bust, the family's not getting together.
>>> No 6 pound turkey for us, it's going to be a prime rib roast. With
>>> stuffing and pumpkin pie.
>>>
>>> nancy

>>Sounds great Nancy. I like the gravy over buttered bread the next day best.
>>

>>Cheri

>I'm not fond of turkey but do love Turkey Pot Pie, best turkey dish

My neighbors said they were having turkey for Thanksgiving -- they
bought a turkey pot pie ;-)
Janet US