Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh Made Refrigerated Pasta

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I don't remember the brand (could have been Barilla), but at least 20
> years ago there was fresh made vacuum-packed refrigerated pasta being
> sold at several supermarkets. IIRC, it included gnocci, spaghetti,
> tortelini, etc. There were also packages of similarly processed fresh
> sauces sold side by side with the pasta. I was always tempted to buy
> it, but never managed to do so. It looked good in the package.

fresh made pasta is to die for. Eat it once and you won't ever
buy the dried, stale boxed normal grocery store kind. Save money
and make it yourself. You're retired and you can do this easily.
First day, just put that fresh pasta in boiling water even before
it dries out. Only needs to cook 2-3 minutes. This homemade is
equally good up to a week or two also.

Once I retire and have plenty of time off, I'll probably never
buy boxed pasta ever again...seriously.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-14 10:22 AM, Gary wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> I don't remember the brand (could have been Barilla), but at least 20
>> years ago there was fresh made vacuum-packed refrigerated pasta being
>> sold at several supermarkets. IIRC, it included gnocci, spaghetti,
>> tortelini, etc. There were also packages of similarly processed fresh
>> sauces sold side by side with the pasta. I was always tempted to buy
>> it, but never managed to do so. It looked good in the package.

> fresh made pasta is to die for. Eat it once and you won't ever
> buy the dried, stale boxed normal grocery store kind. Save money
> and make it yourself. You're retired and you can do this easily.

It's like making good ice cream. You don't save anything by making it
yourself, and it is a lot of work and a lot of mess.

> Once I retire and have plenty of time off, I'll probably never
> buy boxed pasta ever again...seriously.

I am retired and made it a few times. It took a lot of time and effort,
and there as a dusty mess to clean up. I was not worth it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 1:56:11 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-11-14 10:22 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't remember the brand (could have been Barilla), but at least 20
> >> years ago there was fresh made vacuum-packed refrigerated pasta being
> >> sold at several supermarkets. IIRC, it included gnocci, spaghetti,
> >> tortelini, etc. There were also packages of similarly processed fresh
> >> sauces sold side by side with the pasta. I was always tempted to buy
> >> it, but never managed to do so. It looked good in the package.

> > fresh made pasta is to die for. Eat it once and you won't ever
> > buy the dried, stale boxed normal grocery store kind. Save money
> > and make it yourself. You're retired and you can do this easily.

> It's like making good ice cream. You don't save anything by making it
> yourself, and it is a lot of work and a lot of mess.
>

> > Once I retire and have plenty of time off, I'll probably never
> > buy boxed pasta ever again...seriously.
> >

> I am retired and made it a few times. It took a lot of time and effort,
> and there as a dusty mess to clean up. I was not worth it.

Maybe. I grew up making broad egg noodles (almost as big as lasagne
noodles). It doesn't strike me as that difficult, except the machine
is fiddly if you want skinny pasta.

Still, some sorts of pasta are nearly impossible to make at home.
Jumbo shells, for example. OTOH, I'd just make canneloni.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-14 2:37 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 1:56:11 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> fresh made pasta is to die for. Eat it once and you won't ever
>>> buy the dried, stale boxed normal grocery store kind. Save money
>>> and make it yourself. You're retired and you can do this easily.

>> It's like making good ice cream. You don't save anything by making it
>> yourself, and it is a lot of work and a lot of mess.
>>

>>> Once I retire and have plenty of time off, I'll probably never
>>> buy boxed pasta ever again...seriously.
>>>

>> I am retired and made it a few times. It took a lot of time and effort,
>> and there as a dusty mess to clean up. I was not worth it.

> Maybe. I grew up making broad egg noodles (almost as big as lasagne
> noodles). It doesn't strike me as that difficult, except the machine
> is fiddly if you want skinny pasta.
>
> Still, some sorts of pasta are nearly impossible to make at home.
> Jumbo shells, for example. OTOH, I'd just make canneloni.

I only made spaghetti and linguini. Mixing and kneading was work enough,
but using the roller was the worst part. It was damned awkward. Maybe it
was a bit of an exaggeration to say it is no cheaper to make at home,
but there was no big savings, not enough to justify all that work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2018 2:37 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 1:56:11 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> fresh made pasta is to die for. Eat it once and you won't ever
>>> buy the dried, stale boxed normal grocery store kind. Save money
>>> and make it yourself. You're retired and you can do this easily.

>> It's like making good ice cream. You don't save anything by making it
>> yourself, and it is a lot of work and a lot of mess.
>>

>>> Once I retire and have plenty of time off, I'll probably never
>>> buy boxed pasta ever again...seriously.
>>>

>> I am retired and made it a few times. It took a lot of time and effort,
>> and there as a dusty mess to clean up. I was not worth it.

> Maybe. I grew up making broad egg noodles (almost as big as lasagne
> noodles). It doesn't strike me as that difficult, except the machine
> is fiddly if you want skinny pasta.
>
> Still, some sorts of pasta are nearly impossible to make at home.
> Jumbo shells, for example. OTOH, I'd just make canneloni.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I make canneloni like crepes (a la' The Frugal Gourmet). But you're
right, Jumbo shells and other fiddly type pasta, just buy a box of it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-11-14 10:22 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't remember the brand (could have been Barilla), but at least 20
>>> years ago there was fresh made vacuum-packed refrigerated pasta being
>>> sold at several supermarkets. IIRC, it included gnocci, spaghetti,
>>> tortelini, etc. There were also packages of similarly processed fresh
>>> sauces sold side by side with the pasta. I was always tempted to buy
>>> it, but never managed to do so. It looked good in the package.

>> fresh made pasta is to die for. Eat it once and you won't ever
>> buy the dried, stale boxed normal grocery store kind. Save money
>> and make it yourself. You're retired and you can do this easily.

> It's like making good ice cream. You don't save anything by making it
> yourself, and it is a lot of work and a lot of mess.
>

>> Once I retire and have plenty of time off, I'll probably never
>> buy boxed pasta ever again...seriously.
>>

> I am retired and made it a few times. It took a lot of time and effort,
> and there as a dusty mess to clean up. I was not worth it.

Wow! I find just the opposite to be true. I rarely make it as the people I
cook for usually prefer the dry. I roll it out on waxed paper. Very easy,
very little mess. Now if you're making ravioli, or fancy shapes, that's more
difficult. But flat noodles? Easy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-11-14 2:37 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> It's like making good ice cream. You don't save anything by making it
>>> yourself, and it is a lot of work and a lot of mess.

>>> I am retired and made it a few times. It took a lot of time and effort,
>>> and there as a dusty mess to clean up. I was not worth it.

>> Maybe. I grew up making broad egg noodles (almost as big as lasagne
>> noodles). It doesn't strike me as that difficult, except the machine
>> is fiddly if you want skinny pasta.
>>
>> Still, some sorts of pasta are nearly impossible to make at home.
>> Jumbo shells, for example. OTOH, I'd just make canneloni.

> I only made spaghetti and linguini. Mixing and kneading was work enough,
> but using the roller was the worst part. It was damned awkward. Maybe it
> was a bit of an exaggeration to say it is no cheaper to make at home, but
> there was no big savings, not enough to justify all that work.

I don't use a machine, I just roll out and cut.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-18 3:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
>> I am retired and made it a few times. It took a lot of time and
>> effort, and there as a dusty mess to clean up. I was not worth it.

> Wow! I find just the opposite to be true. I rarely make it as the people
> I cook for usually prefer the dry.

Say what???? The people you cook for don't like what you make them?????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2018 3:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Wow! I find just the opposite to be true. I rarely make it as the people
> I cook for usually prefer the dry.

If "they" prefer the dry pasta, just give them dried pasta! It's a no
brainer. They might actually not like you trying to bend them to your
odd tastes or food fetishes. BTW, most pasta is made with eggs. You
have stated many times before you can't eat eggs.

Jill