Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Columbia's coffee is in danger

'
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...ave-it-n891221
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 11:06:12 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> '
> https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...ave-it-n891221

We're just going to have to switch to tea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 22:58:57 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 15-Jul-2018, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 11:06:12 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> > '
>> > https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...ave-it-n891221

>> We're just going to have to switch to tea.

>Hmm; not for me, tea is fine iced; but it will never do as a morning
>caffeine delivery system. I'll switch to Guatemalan or any other coffee
>that is not Kona or from robusta beans.

the underlying message is that the fungus and bugs that are affecting
the Columbia coffee has already traveled from elsewhere. We can
expect that other growers elsewhere will be battling the same
problems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I remember that documentary when that evil capitalist uber-villain tried to destroy Columbia's coffee crop with the weather satellite that created the giant rainstorm mega-tornado, but Superman turned the tornado upside down and dried all the coffee beans with his laser vision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNIJqC_Zaxc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 17:41:55 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 22:58:57 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>>> We're just going to have to switch to tea.

>>Hmm; not for me, tea is fine iced; but it will never do as a morning
>>caffeine delivery system. I'll switch to Guatemalan or any other coffee
>>that is not Kona or from robusta beans.

>the underlying message is that the fungus and bugs that are affecting
>the Columbia coffee has already traveled from elsewhere. We can
>expect that other growers elsewhere will be battling the same
>problems.

Global markets and mono-culture can be devastating. I am not sure how
similar the coffees grown in Colombia are, but I keep thinking about
the Cavandish banana problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2018 6:58 PM, l not -l wrote:

>> We're just going to have to switch to tea.

> Hmm; not for me, tea is fine iced; but it will never do as a morning
> caffeine delivery system. I'll switch to Guatemalan or any other coffee
> that is not Kona or from robusta beans.

Why not Kona? Most people rank it very high. I buy it for my wife once
in a while from Cea, who used to post here www.smithfarms.com.

I'll stick with tea though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 3:24:07 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Why not Kona? Most people rank it very high. I buy it for my wife once
> in a while from Cea, who used to post here www.smithfarms.com.
>
> I'll stick with tea though.

A lot of people don't care for Kona because it doesn't taste like the coffee they're used to.

I recently bought some Kona at the supermarket. It pretty much tasted like coffee. Not what I was expecting. I used to get Kona from a small roaster that had connections to a farm. It was $21.00/lb and just wonderful. I checked it out and couldn't believe it. All the beans were of uniform size, with no deformed ones. Absolutely no foreign debris, and no broken beans. Amazing. It tasted great too. My guess is that in order to get great coffee beans, you have to get it from a supplier that loves the product and does not view the beans as a commodity item.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 4:06:12 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> '
> https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...ave-it-n891221

Good thing I drink hot strong black Sumatran! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 21:24:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 7/15/2018 6:58 PM, l not -l wrote:
>
>>> We're just going to have to switch to tea.

>> Hmm; not for me, tea is fine iced; but it will never do as a morning
>> caffeine delivery system. I'll switch to Guatemalan or any other coffee
>> that is not Kona or from robusta beans.
>>

>Why not Kona? Most people rank it very high. I buy it for my wife once
>in a while from Cea, who used to post here www.smithfarms.com.
>
>I'll stick with tea though.

Tea's for women. (So are towel warmers.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 9:53:36 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 3:24:07 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > Why not Kona? Most people rank it very high. I buy it for my wife once
> > in a while from Cea, who used to post here www.smithfarms.com.
> >
> > I'll stick with tea though.

> A lot of people don't care for Kona because it doesn't taste like the coffee they're used to.
>
> I recently bought some Kona at the supermarket. It pretty much tasted like coffee. Not what I was expecting. I used to get Kona from a small roaster that had connections to a farm. It was $21.00/lb and just wonderful. I checked it out and couldn't believe it. All the beans were of uniform size, with no deformed ones. Absolutely no foreign debris, and no broken beans. Amazing. It tasted great too. My guess is that in order to get great coffee beans, you have to get it from a supplier that loves the product and does not view the beans as a commodity item.

I used to drink Kona back when I worked for a large multinational corporation contracted to another large multinational corporation, a Military Industrial Complex contractor, whose main business goal was to think of bigger better ways to kill more people faster, but then when IBM laid off 15,001 workers worldwide by June 2002 I switched to nursing where I actually help people and I switched to Sumatran because it's cheaper than Kona. And I tasted some Kona after I'd gotten used to Sumatran, and I actually prefer Sumatran now!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:57:12 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:

> I used to drink Kona back when I worked for a large multinational corporation contracted to another large multinational corporation, a Military Industrial Complex contractor, whose main business goal was to think of bigger better ways to kill more people faster, but then when IBM laid off 15,001 workers worldwide by June 2002 I switched to nursing where I actually help people and I switched to Sumatran because it's cheaper than Kona. And I tasted some Kona after I'd gotten used to Sumatran, and I actually prefer Sumatran now!
>
> John Kuthe...

I'll have to check out the Sumatran. Thanks.

I really like Trung Nguyen coffee. It's actually a flavored coffee and processed for a smooth, buttery, brew with a distinct chocolate note. It's everything you want in a coffee and smoother than even Kona. That's rather amazing. They use some kind of secret process to get the coffee to taste that way. My wife doesn't care for it so there's not much point in purchasing it any more.

https://www.amazon.com/Trung-Nguyen-.../dp/B000F17AKC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 3:21:13 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:57:12 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > I used to drink Kona back when I worked for a large multinational corporation contracted to another large multinational corporation, a Military Industrial Complex contractor, whose main business goal was to think of bigger better ways to kill more people faster, but then when IBM laid off 15,001 workers worldwide by June 2002 I switched to nursing where I actually help people and I switched to Sumatran because it's cheaper than Kona. And I tasted some Kona after I'd gotten used to Sumatran, and I actually prefer Sumatran now!
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> I'll have to check out the Sumatran. Thanks.
>
> I really like Trung Nguyen coffee. It's actually a flavored coffee and processed for a smooth, buttery, brew with a distinct chocolate note. It's everything you want in a coffee and smoother than even Kona. That's rather amazing. They use some kind of secret process to get the coffee to taste that way. My wife doesn't care for it so there's not much point in purchasing it any more.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Trung-Nguyen-.../dp/B000F17AKC

I love my hot strong black Sumatran even better with a dropperfullish of 1800mg/120ml CDB oil, and splashes of Kahlua and Hershey's Chocolate Syrup! YUM X 3!!! I call that my Cuppa Plus! :-)

Sipping my first Cuppa Plus right NOW! :-)

Namaste

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 11:28:39 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:

> >> Hmm; not for me, tea is fine iced; but it will never do as a morning
> >> caffeine delivery system. I'll switch to Guatemalan or any other coffee
> >> that is not Kona or from robusta beans.
> >>

> >Why not Kona? Most people rank it very high. I buy it for my wife once
> >in a while from Cea, who used to post here www.smithfarms.com.
> >
> >I'll stick with tea though.

> Tea's for women. (So are towel warmers.)

I LOVE women, teas and towel warmers!

:-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2018 7:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/15/2018 6:58 PM, l not -l wrote:

> Why not Kona?Â* Most people rank it very high.Â* I buy it for my wife once
> in a while from Cea, who used to post here www.smithfarms.com.

Some folks do NOT care for Kona, even 100% true Kona. Likewise, Blue
Mountain and other high-priced scams. Never tried that cat-poop coffee.

An acquaintance loved cea's Kona. It did nothing for me. I prefer
African coffee's, anyway, but tea can be fun. Try a pu-erh or assam
tea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Never tried that cat-poop coffee.

That's actually monkey poop coffee I think. If I remember
correctly, it seems like Ed P. here actually tried that years
ago????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-16 1:31 PM, Gary wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> Never tried that cat-poop coffee.

> That's actually monkey poop coffee I think.

Actually, it is neither. It has gone through the digestive system of a
civet "cat", which isn't really a cat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2018-07-16 1:31 PM, Gary wrote:
> > notbob wrote:
> >>
> >> Never tried that cat-poop coffee.

> > That's actually monkey poop coffee I think.

> Actually, it is neither. It has gone through the digestive system of a
> civet "cat", which isn't really a cat.

OK..yeah. I just googled it with pics. Looks more like a darn
ferret than a cat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2018 12:25 PM, Gary wrote:

> OK..yeah. I just googled it with pics. Looks more like a darn
> ferret than a cat.

Despite the Vietnamese calling "Kopi Luwak", "fox dung coffee", the
Asian palm civet is a member of the sub-order of viverrids and is
related to the cat.

"Viverrids are the most primitive of all the families of feliform
Carnivora and clearly less specialized than the Felidae (cats)....."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viverridae

nb